Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

RickVoid posted:

You could fill a thread with nothing but Abridged quotes. Some of the jokes have been so slow burn that we're just finally getting the pay off now:

Goku: Paragon until death!
Vegeta: You ruined it!

You want to know a really slow burning joke? Remember when Gohan yoinked Vegeta's Dragon Ball on Namek and he failed to take it well Well, fast forward to the Story of Trunks Abridged, a whole five years later and...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
I'm surprised the VEGETA forum doesn't have an abridged thread yet.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You want to know a really slow burning joke? Remember when Gohan yoinked Vegeta's Dragon Ball on Namek and he failed to take it well Well, fast forward to the Story of Trunks Abridged, a whole five years later and...

Holy poo poo. If I hadn't been wearing headphones I don't think I'd have caught that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BattleCattle posted:

Remember Tom from Myspace? He appeared last episode!

Having never used MySpace, I didn't know that this was actually a joke. Episode 1 is retroactively funnier now.

Slur posted:

I'm surprised the VEGETA forum doesn't have an abridged thread yet.

It does, it's called the DBZ thread. Through right now there's a lot more Dragonball Super discussion going on.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
The Cell Sagae in DBZA is gonna have to top two specific bits from the Frieza saga for me first, because I have yet to not laugh at them even after several viewings. Namely, Frieza's line while being hit by the spirit bomb, and his response to Goku talking about a "pie level".

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

It does, it's called the DBZ thread. Through right now there's a lot more Dragonball Super discussion going on.

I meant for abridged series in general.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Slur posted:

I meant for abridged series in general.

Are there other Abridged Series that are on the level of DBZ?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Don't think so, but maybe some people know of some series out there which are promising at the most, or hilariously disappointing at the least.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

The Yugioh one was still pretty alright last time I checked.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Abridged stuff is usually either unnecessarily hateful to the source material and just making GBS threads on it because they think it's bad or really low quality because it's a bunch of kids dubbing their improv over footage with windows movie maker

DBZA is basically the only abridged thing that's not either of those and that's kind of why people know it at all

I think the YGO one came first though and they built off its format and outgrew it so that one might be okay

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Pokémon 'bridged is generally pretty good. Its humor stems from absurdity and deviations from the source material: Ash is a bit of an idiot with an abusive family; Misty wants to be a Fire trainer who can act kinda crazy sometimes; and Brock takes Breeding to a point far beyond creepy, and can lactate somehow. It has fairly frequent cameos from the Team Four Star guys, if that's your thing. The voice acting is usually very good, beyond the first couple episodes, where there was just one guy running the show. Nowacking's Misty and Jesse are absolutely spot on, for example.

By the way, Krillen's the best.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Kelp Plankton posted:

Abridged stuff is usually either unnecessarily hateful to the source material and just making GBS threads on it because they think it's bad or really low quality because it's a bunch of kids dubbing their improv over footage with windows movie maker

DBZA is basically the only abridged thing that's not either of those and that's kind of why people know it at all

I think the YGO one came first though and they built off its format and outgrew it so that one might be okay

Yeah Yugioh abridged was first. It really shows going back to the earlier episodes, and I'd reccomend starting that one at Battle City if you were just getting into it now.

Also, possibly controversial opinion, the DBZA voice cast is the best DBZ dub and I'd pay money for a full serious English dub from that cast.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah Yugioh abridged was first. It really shows going back to the earlier episodes, and I'd reccomend starting that one at Battle City if you were just getting into it now.

Also, possibly controversial opinion, the DBZA voice cast is the best DBZ dub and I'd pay money for a full serious English dub from that cast.

I dunno. Their Raditz is a little bit iffy.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

BattleCattle posted:

I dunno. Their Raditz is a little bit iffy.

Their almost everything from the first season is a bit iffy
They've been known to change voice actors (like for Vegeta or Kami), so if they were to re-do anything with Raditz, he'd sound differently

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

dasmause posted:

They've been known to change voice actors (like for Vegeta or Kami), so if they were to re-do anything with Raditz, he'd sound differently

Their Princess Snake is spot-on, though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Gantz Abridged (by hbi2k aka Naiiiiiiiiiiil on DBZA) is the only other one I really rate. It's a bit clunky nowadays and the sound quality, frankly, sucks, but still funny as hell in places.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Their one episode of Attack on Titan Abridged was pretty good, too bad it discontinued. I guess because of copyright stuff? I'm not sure
Takahata even told one of second episode's jokes, it was pretty good

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

dasmause posted:

Their one episode of Attack on Titan Abridged was pretty good, too bad it discontinued. I guess because of copyright stuff? I'm not sure

sigh...

what could have been...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Speaking of their other projects, Hellsing Abridged is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgnIjJexut4

Or as Taka likes to refer to it as "My personal masturbation series"

EDIT: For the record though, this would be their R-18 series if DBZ is PG. There is a lot of crossing the line 1000 times.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 19, 2015

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

dasmause posted:

Whoever it was that played Sasha Braus was perfect. I think she only had about 3 scenes and they were the best bits in the episode.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

dasmause posted:

They've only changed voice actors a couple of times, mostly because the original voice for Yamcha and Kami quit the team.

Master Roshi was also recast, though I'm not sure why.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

They've only changed voice actors a couple of times, mostly because the original voice for Yamcha and Kami quit the team.

Master Roshi was also recast, though I'm not sure why.

Master Roshi was recast because the entire team agreed upon Lanipator sounding more the part.

As for Vegeta3986, I heard there was some internal arguing going on between him and the rest of the team. TeamFourStar's official word on it is "creative differences".

Slur fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 19, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Slur posted:

Master Roshi was recast because the entire team agreed upon Lanipator sounding more the part.

"How's it feel riding mah dick!"

That was a good choice.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Onmi posted:

EDIT: For the record though, this would be their R-18 series if DBZ is PG. There is a lot of crossing the line 1000 times.

PG? We've got a joke about Dr. Briefs making clones of Bulma's mother in the basement, and "Swingin' Yamcha". Just how much darker can they get :stare:?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Fionordequester posted:

PG? We've got a joke about Dr. Briefs making clones of Bulma's mother in the basement, and "Swingin' Yamcha". Just how much darker can they get :stare:?

hoo boy.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!
So, on the previous subject of good Abridged Series...

There's Team.EXE who are an upcoming group abridging the Mega Man Battle Network anime (or as it's better known as NT Warrior). They only have four episodes at the moment with a fifth in the works. I really want these guys to succeed, they're trying so hard and I like that.

And then there's JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: The Abridged Series done by Antfish. Originally having covered the entirety of the old OVA (okay, it was really two OVAs that get grouped together), Antfish has decided to also abridge the new anime that came out recently, although episodes have been slow to come out. Antfish is a massive JoJo fan and it shows. You'll really only get the most out of it if you've actually READ JoJo and not be a filthy anime watching casual.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Slur posted:

As for Vegeta3986, I heard there was some internal arguing going on between him and the rest of the team. TeamFourStar's official word on it is "creative differences".

I wouldn't be surprised. The new Kami and Yamcha are better anyway.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
DBZ abridged is pretty sweet, but I've always been more fond of Alternate Reality Dragonball Z. Nothing beats getting parenting advise from Vegeta.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It's possible the update could be further delayed, thanks to Kaboom Dragoon. He linked me to the DBZA playlist, and I've about 49 episodes to catch up on.

And I'm playing the Pre-Sequel tonight. Yapping Eevee bought it for me, so that's his fault.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Leavemywife posted:

It's possible the update could be further delayed, thanks to Kaboom Dragoon. He linked me to the DBZA playlist, and I've about 49 episodes to catch up on

Wonderful. Don't get discouraged by the quality of the Saiyan Saga, it gets way way better.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

On the subject of abridged series, I really like Thornbrain's Sgt. Frog Abridged. They put a lot of work into video editing and they manage to be funny without resorting to the ton of references that a lot of other abridged series do.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Leavemywife posted:

And I'm playing the Pre-Sequel tonight. Yapping Eevee bought it for me, so that's his fault.

Just waiting on you to get off work. Quit trying to earn a living and come play videogames with the rest of us! :argh:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Leavemywife posted:

It's possible the update could be further delayed, thanks to Kaboom Dragoon. He linked me to the DBZA playlist, and I've about 49 episodes to catch up on.

Oh god, the Starlight chat's going to be full of DBZA quotes now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

Oh god, the Starlight chat's going to be full of DBZA quotes now.

The LP is just going to be a long stream of DBZA quotes now.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

RareAcumen posted:

The LP is just going to be a long stream of DBZA quotes now.

You say that like it wasn't already that way.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Leavemywife posted:

Man, I'm ruining LPs I'm not even a part of. I have reached a level of posting beyond shitposter!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Man, I'm ruining LPs I'm not even a part of. I have reached a level of posting beyond shitposter!

The watcher is bald.

Will Arioch's hair turn blonde upon your ascension?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

What, like Maximum Over-Shitposter?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shitposter God Shitposter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I know we're doing the DBZ meme now, but all I can think of is "Serious Series: Serious Shitposting."

• Locked thread