Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

i'm at work so i can't post anything now but i'll do it later. i love far side so make me laugh plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ur adopted

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
yesterday was the aniversary of the first airing of Doug

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i don't get how anyone thinks this stuff is funny but ok

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
The dumb boy pushes against the door. A sign on the door says "pull". A sign in the background tells you that this is a school for the gifted. You realize that political correctness has made a word mean the exact opposite of what it once did. You laugh. You turn to the weather section.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
My name is Doug and I'm outta heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
never understood why of all media The Far Side gets the white glove treatment from internet posters. why does this lone comic author have his wishes respected by the internet to not post his work online. His metaphor of his comic=his daughter is loving weird to boot.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I like the one with the cow.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Toadvine posted:

never understood why of all media The Far Side gets the white glove treatment from internet posters. why does this lone comic author have his wishes respected by the internet to not post his work online. His metaphor of his comic=his daughter is loving weird to boot.

fine then, why dont you just go ahead and post one, tough guy

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Toadvine posted:

im guessing your fav comic is Penny Arcade

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
on it

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Rocks posted:

im guessing your fav comic is Penny Arcade

nah I like three word phrase and pbf

e: speaking of, checked pbf and found one I have not seen yet

Toadvine fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 13, 2015

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Nooner posted:

fine then, why dont you just go ahead and post one, tough guy

loving sue me Larson

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

what is buffalo paper??

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

some kind of weed paper???

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

social vegan posted:

what is buffalo paper??

Its like fly paper bc show me a home where the buffalo roam roflmao

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Toadvine posted:

nah I like three word phrase and pbf

e: speaking of, checked pbf and found one I have not seen yet

hehehe ok thats funny

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
RE: Online Use of Far Side Cartoons

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I'm walking a fine line here.

On the one hand, I confess to finding it quite flattering that some of my fans have created web sites displaying and / or distributing my work on the Internet. And, on the other, I'm struggling to find the words that convincingly but sensitively persuade these Far Side enthusiasts to "cease and desist" before they have to read these words from some lawyer.

What impact this unauthorized use has had (and is having) in tangible terms is, naturally, of great concern to my publishers and therefore to me -- but it's not the focus of this letter. My effort here is to try and speak to the intangible impact, the emotional cost to me, personally, of seeing my work collected, digitized, and offered up in cyberspace beyond my control.

Years ago I was having lunch one day with the cartoonist Richard Guindon, and the subject came up how neither one of us ever solicited or accepted ideas from others. But, until Richard summed it up quite neatly, I never really understood my own aversions to doing this: "It's like having someone else write in your diary," he said. And how true that statement rang with me. In effect, we drew cartoons that we hoped would be entertaining or, at the very least, not boring; but regardless, they would always come from an intensely personal, and therefore original perspective.

To attempt to be "funny" is a very scary, risk-laden proposition. (Ask any stand-up comic who has ever "bombed "on stage.) But if there was ever an axiom to follow in this business, it would be this: be honest to yourself and -- most important -- respect your audience.

So, in a nutshell (probably an unfortunate choice of words for me), I only ask that this respect be returned, and the way for anyone to do that is to please, please refrain from putting The Far Side out on the Internet. These cartoons are my "children," of sorts, and like a parent, I'm concerned about where they go at night without telling me. And, seeing them at someone's web site is like getting the call at 2:00 a.m. that goes, "Uh, Dad, you're not going to like this much, but guess where I am."

I hope my explanation helps you to understand the importance this has for me, personally, and why I'm making this request.

Please send my "kids" home. I'll be eternally grateful.

Most respectfully,

Gary Larson

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Ein cooler Typ posted:

RE: Online Use of Far Side Cartoons

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I'm walking a fine line here.

On the one hand, I confess to finding it quite flattering that some of my fans have created web sites displaying and / or distributing my work on the Internet. And, on the other, I'm struggling to find the words that convincingly but sensitively persuade these Far Side enthusiasts to "cease and desist" before they have to read these words from some lawyer.

What impact this unauthorized use has had (and is having) in tangible terms is, naturally, of great concern to my publishers and therefore to me -- but it's not the focus of this letter. My effort here is to try and speak to the intangible impact, the emotional cost to me, personally, of seeing my work collected, digitized, and offered up in cyberspace beyond my control.

Years ago I was having lunch one day with the cartoonist Richard Guindon, and the subject came up how neither one of us ever solicited or accepted ideas from others. But, until Richard summed it up quite neatly, I never really understood my own aversions to doing this: "It's like having someone else write in your diary," he said. And how true that statement rang with me. In effect, we drew cartoons that we hoped would be entertaining or, at the very least, not boring; but regardless, they would always come from an intensely personal, and therefore original perspective.

To attempt to be "funny" is a very scary, risk-laden proposition. (Ask any stand-up comic who has ever "bombed "on stage.) But if there was ever an axiom to follow in this business, it would be this: be honest to yourself and -- most important -- respect your audience.

So, in a nutshell (probably an unfortunate choice of words for me), I only ask that this respect be returned, and the way for anyone to do that is to please, please refrain from putting The Far Side out on the Internet. These cartoons are my "children," of sorts, and like a parent, I'm concerned about where they go at night without telling me. And, seeing them at someone's web site is like getting the call at 2:00 a.m. that goes, "Uh, Dad, you're not going to like this much, but guess where I am."

I hope my explanation helps you to understand the importance this has for me, personally, and why I'm making this request.

Most respectfully,

Gary Larson

Now that is quite funny Gary

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

people respect his wishes because he asked nicely instead of firing out DMCA's at everyone

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

people respect his wishes because he asked nicely instead of firing out DMCA's at everyone

Unlike, say, Watterson, which just left us high and dry and hides in his hovel somewhere leaving us with ABSOLUTELY loving NOTHING

Hope you are enjoying life, Bill. :unsmith:

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
[quote]To attempt to be "funny" is a very scary, risk-laden proposition.[/quote[

Seems a lot of posters in this thread take this to heart and post accordingly.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

[quote]To attempt to be "funny" is a very scary, risk-laden proposition.[/quote[

Seems a lot of posters in this thread take this to heart and post accordingly.

quote fail

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
weird how comic guys are amazingly uptight and unfunny

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

weird how comic guys are amazingly uptight and unfunny

He's an old man who was brought up on the syndicate publishing model, of course he doesn't understand webcomics.

naem
May 29, 2011

TwoFire posted:

Unlike, say, Watterson, which just left us high and dry and hides in his hovel somewhere leaving us with ABSOLUTELY loving NOTHING

Bill waterson and Dave Chappell hanging out on a farm in Ohio somewhere mucking out a horse stall

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

naem posted:

Bill waterson and Dave Chappell hanging out on a farm in Ohio somewhere mucking out a horse stall

Why the hell would Bill give a poo poo about a hasbeen comedy central clown?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even Bill is swayed by the allure of a cool black friend

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

mind the walrus posted:

Even Bill is swayed by the allure of a cool black friend

I could see Tracy Morgan or maybe Ben Carson..but Chappell? No.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Most respectfully,

Gary Larson

the internet has made me very jaded because idc if Gary respectfully asks that I refrain from posting his cartoon online. Plus his children metaphor doesn't ring very sincere when the cartoon is merchandised so thoroughly. Had Bill Waterson, a man with proven commitment to the integrity of his work, written this letter I'd feel a lot more hesitant to post C&H comics.

granted it was super sweet of him to pen this letter to his admirers when a less tactful cartoonist would have gone legal with it from the start.

e: if its actually not Gary Larson but third parties merchandising the work, I take it back.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Toadvine posted:

the internet has made me very jaded because idc if Gary respectfully asks that I refrain from posting his cartoon online. Plus his children metaphor doesn't ring very sincere when the cartoon is merchandised so thoroughly. Had Bill Waterson, a man with proven commitment to the integrity of his work, written this letter I'd feel a lot more hesitant to post C&H comics.

uhhh what about all those truck decals he sold of calvin pissing and/or praying on things

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

This will probably always be my favorite

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

naem posted:

Bill waterson and Dave Chappell hanging out on a farm in Ohio somewhere making out in a horse stall

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

uhhh what about all those truck decals he sold of calvin pissing and/or praying on things

Thats just a blank canvas for fans to channel their opinions through

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

Toadvine posted:

Thats just a blank canvas for fans to channel their opinions through

I need a sticker of Calvin and Hobbes, wearing matching red elephant t-shirts, peeing into Obama's mouth.
Someone please make this a reality

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

TwoFire posted:

he briefly came outta retirement as a guest artist w/ the pearls before swine guy

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he briefly came outta retirement as a guest artist w/ the pearls before swine guy

never read a stoopid webcomic (since sluggy in 199whatever) but that is some p good copy right thair

Lono was taken
Aug 26, 2006

This is Detective Faggot Mulder, they want to shut down the Ass Files.
xs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp

Dont do drugs.

• Locked thread