Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
i'm skeeter, here's my other brother skeeter, and our cousin flapjack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

psyopmonkey2 posted:

Dont do drugs.

Your mom did fuckloads and you turnde out fine

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Ein cooler Typ posted:

RE: Online Use of Far Side Cartoons

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I'm walking a fine line here.

On the one hand, I confess to finding it quite flattering that some of my fans have created web sites displaying and / or distributing my work on the Internet. And, on the other, I'm struggling to find the words that convincingly but sensitively persuade these Far Side enthusiasts to "cease and desist" before they have to read these words from some lawyer.

What impact this unauthorized use has had (and is having) in tangible terms is, naturally, of great concern to my publishers and therefore to me -- but it's not the focus of this letter. My effort here is to try and speak to the intangible impact, the emotional cost to me, personally, of seeing my work collected, digitized, and offered up in cyberspace beyond my control.

Years ago I was having lunch one day with the cartoonist Richard Guindon, and the subject came up how neither one of us ever solicited or accepted ideas from others. But, until Richard summed it up quite neatly, I never really understood my own aversions to doing this: "It's like having someone else write in your diary," he said. And how true that statement rang with me. In effect, we drew cartoons that we hoped would be entertaining or, at the very least, not boring; but regardless, they would always come from an intensely personal, and therefore original perspective.

To attempt to be "funny" is a very scary, risk-laden proposition. (Ask any stand-up comic who has ever "bombed "on stage.) But if there was ever an axiom to follow in this business, it would be this: be honest to yourself and -- most important -- respect your audience.

So, in a nutshell (probably an unfortunate choice of words for me), I only ask that this respect be returned, and the way for anyone to do that is to please, please refrain from putting The Far Side out on the Internet. These cartoons are my "children," of sorts, and like a parent, I'm concerned about where they go at night without telling me. And, seeing them at someone's web site is like getting the call at 2:00 a.m. that goes, "Uh, Dad, you're not going to like this much, but guess where I am."

I hope my explanation helps you to understand the importance this has for me, personally, and why I'm making this request.

Please send my "kids" home. I'll be eternally grateful.

Most respectfully,

Gary Larson

The thing not mentioned in this letter is how extremely loving rich he is

I think it was estimated somewhere that every single comics of his was worth like $5,000 if you divide his wealth by comics produced.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
he better tack those notices up with golden nails so people will read them

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Truly a visionary, only he could have foreseen the LP millionaires.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah goddamn suck a dick, comic guy from 100 years ago

Slapping your poo poo up on my facebook page is no more raping your children than showing a co-worker a cartoon in a newspaper they didn't pay for, that's completely retarded

And you don't have 1800 children, and if you did they wouldn't have made you a multimillionaire, and if they had you still couldn't control them once they turn 25 goddamn years old

And nobody's making any money pirating your old poo poo from me because I have adblocker and noscript because I am not retarded

Jesus christ this prick drew cartoons where a cow is looking in a married couple's window and the guy is saying "Did you just say moo?" he wasn't Rembrandt lay off the hot air

Crop_Top_9000
Jun 20, 2014

kinda hosed up

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

i really doubt larson still gives a poo poo if his comics are on the internet so fuckin lol at this whole page

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

RE: Online Use of Far Side Cartoons

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I'm walking a fine line here.

On the one hand, I confess to finding it quite flattering that some of my fans have created web sites displaying and / or distributing my work on the Internet. And, on the other, I'm struggling to find the words that convincingly but sensitively persuade these Far Side enthusiasts to "cease and desist" before they have to read these words from some lawyer.

What impact this unauthorized use has had (and is having) in tangible terms is, naturally, of great concern to my publishers and therefore to me -- but it's not the focus of this letter. My effort here is to try and speak to the intangible impact, the emotional cost to me, personally, of seeing my work collected, digitized, and offered up in cyberspace beyond my control.

Years ago I was having lunch one day with the cartoonist Richard Guindon, and the subject came up how neither one of us ever solicited or accepted ideas from others. But, until Richard summed it up quite neatly, I never really understood my own aversions to doing this: "It's like having someone else write in your diary," he said. And how true that statement rang with me. In effect, we drew cartoons that we hoped would be entertaining or, at the very least, not boring; but regardless, they would always come from an intensely personal, and therefore original perspective.

To attempt to be "funny" is a very scary, risk-laden proposition. (Ask any stand-up comic who has ever "bombed "on stage.) But if there was ever an axiom to follow in this business, it would be this: be honest to yourself and -- most important -- respect your audience.

So, in a nutshell (probably an unfortunate choice of words for me), I only ask that this respect be returned, and the way for anyone to do that is to please, please refrain from putting The Far Side out on the Internet. These cartoons are my "children," of sorts, and like a parent, I'm concerned about where they go at night without telling me. And, seeing them at someone's web site is like getting the call at 2:00 a.m. that goes, "Uh, Dad, you're not going to like this much, but guess where I am."

I hope my explanation helps you to understand the importance this has for me, personally, and why I'm making this request.

Please send my "kids" home. I'll be eternally grateful.

Most respectfully,

Gary Larson

OC do not steal do not reblog.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I own the farside gallery big book and somewhere one of his Anniversary collections that has some personal comments on his comics.

I enjoy his work.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like the one where the guy has a barking dog translator and theyre all saying hey! hey!

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Tujague posted:

Yeah goddamn suck a dick, comic guy from 100 years ago

Slapping your poo poo up on my facebook page is no more raping your children than showing a co-worker a cartoon in a newspaper they didn't pay for, that's completely retarded

And you don't have 1800 children, and if you did they wouldn't have made you a multimillionaire, and if they had you still couldn't control them once they turn 25 goddamn years old

And nobody's making any money pirating your old poo poo from me because I have adblocker and noscript because I am not retarded

Jesus christ this prick drew cartoons where a cow is looking in a married couple's window and the guy is saying "Did you just say moo?" he wasn't Rembrandt lay off the hot air

lol

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i used to think larson was really funny but now i dont know

my sense of humor has changed a bunch i really like pearls before swine and not really much else even the daily jumble has better jokes than most of the crap out there. tinas groove is ok.

and i think i like the concept of garfield more than finding it actually funny (besides todays strip which jon fuckin owns garfield with a harsh burn)

http://safr.kingfeatures.com/idn/cn...DlfOTAwLmdpZg==

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
FYI Berke Breathed is making Bloom County strips again. I get them because I facefriended him. They are pretty good, by which I mean way way better than that ugly, lovely OUTLAND and OPUS poo poo he did last time he quit and tried to take a huge poo poo on his own legacy

Welp thanks for reading bye

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
strangely I find myself spending more time with family circus whenever I am near the comics page.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Toadvine posted:

strangely I find myself spending more time with family circus whenever I am near the comics page.
http://safr.kingfeatures.com/idn/cn...DIxXzYxNi5naWY=

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

it's just not the same since keane sr. died....

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SirEvelynTremble posted:

Your mom did fuckloads and you turnde out fine

fuckloads of thalidomide

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

psyopmonkey2 posted:

Dont do drugs.

Don't do Dougs

Sagan
Jan 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
the best one any day of the week

Sagan fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 14, 2015

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite was the one where a scientist is about to hammer in the last nail on a missle, and behind him is another scientist about to pop a paper bag.

Sagan
Jan 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

Red Suit posted:

My favorite was the one where a scientist is about to hammer in the last nail on a missle, and behind him is another scientist about to pop a paper bag.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
i got a birthday card once that had cavement with their swiss army rock... it was gay an unfunny then and its gayer and loving gay now

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
what a human being bday

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
wow they got some puckered anus lips

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Hmm yes indeed seven IS greater than root six minus three.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
*raises hand*
May I be excused? My brain is full.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What far side merchandise is there

I've never seen anything besides the books

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Ein cooler Typ posted:

What far side merchandise is there

I've never seen anything besides the books

There was a period in the 90s where 50% of desk calenders were guaranteed to be FarSide cartoons.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

See, in hindsight the main reason like 75% of programmers got into programming in the first place is that they were really into video games when they were kids, and now those particular kids are the only ones that can manage to get decent jobs in the 2010s economy. Take that, Gary :smug:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing wrong with calendars. That's just showcasing your work

Not like they made a far side cgi movie or licensed cow tools

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

loquacius posted:

See, in hindsight the main reason like 75% of programmers got into programming in the first place is that they were really into video games when they were kids, and now those particular kids are the only ones that can manage to get decent jobs in the 2010s economy. Take that, Gary :smug:

Yep, especially in the days of old when you had to write autoexec.bat files specific to a particular PC game. Also learned a lot by manually configuring sound cards and what-not. Comports, IRQs, etc.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Nothing wrong with calendars. That's just showcasing your work

Not like they made a far side cgi movie or licensed cow tools

There's nothing wrong with any kind of merch. If idiots want to give you money for an M&M character pillow are you really going to say no?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i had the calendar, far side is good

cow tools

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So I really wanted the Far Side box set they put out a while ago. the one where it's all glossy hard covers. I got it for a gift, but it's every Farside in two giant books. How the gently caress do I read it on the toilet?? You don't and that's why they're gathering dust on a shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Far Side definitely hosed up my brain.

However the worst thing about the Far Side are all the lovely knock-offs it spawned.

• Locked thread