Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I heard this was a show about bears living in San Francisco.

I am both disappointed, and not disappointed, because it's really pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Since I came into the thread late... did Grizz and the giant burrito remind anyone else of Jake and his Everything Burrito?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knPsd3Wzbqs

Shared by Daniel Chong on his Facebook.

CartoonNetwork.com link

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Oh my god I love Panda and his ridiculous Otaku self.

EDIT: The bearified film montage was golden. Especially Grizz Totoro

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 4, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The bears did nothing wrong in this episode.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
This is neat, Chloe's mom is voiced by Niki Yang, who also voices B-MO on Adventure Time, which played in the background (universe conflict paradox???).

I think the last episode has been my favorite so far. Just the right amount of "aw" because it was cute and "aw" because it was sad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
"All Ice Bear's friends are future enemies"

Also is there anywhere that translated what Chloe's parents were saying? It seems like there were always people eager to provide translations for Lady Rainicorn in Adventure Time.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Someone on /co/ posted this.

quote:

Chloe [On the phone] (1:11): 여보세요? 음, 어. (Hello? Yeah, sure.)

Mom (5:08): 클로이 왔니? 어머, oh hi! (Chloe, are you back? Oh, oh hi!)
Ice bear (5:13): 안녕하세요. (Hello.)
Mom (5:19): 안녕하세요! 어, 그때 얘기했던 친구들이지? (Hi! Oh, these are the friends you told me about before, right?)
Chloe (5:23): 음. (Yeah.)
Mom (5:24): 왜 그래? 무슨 일 있었어? (What's wrong? Did something bad happen?)

Dad (5:32): 쟤 왜 저래? 무슨 일 있었어? (Why's she acting like that? Did something happen?)

Dad [About Panda] (5:47): 그 왜, 여자친구한테 맨날 차인다는 그 친구 있잖아. (You know, that guy who keeps getting dumped by his girlfriends.)
Mom (5:49): 아. (Oh, right.)

Grizz (6:18): 안녕하세요! (Hi!)
Ice bear (6:20): 부디 편안한 밤 되시길 바랍니다. (We hope that you have a pleasant night.)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I like how Ice Bear refers to everyone in the third person, not just himself, if that last game of charades with Chloe was any indication.

SegwayPimp
Sep 13, 2015
This poo poo is adorable. The burrito one almost made me cry and I haven't cried in years.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Man the music in this show is such upbeat fun and the bears are so lovable what a great show.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
This show is pretty great mostly because despite being a show about talking bears still feels very well observed, especially the stuff in Shush Ninjas and My Clique, and that gives it a very cozy feel.

Also, where's the full version of that K-Pop song from Panda's Dream?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Solaris Knight posted:

This show is pretty great mostly because despite being a show about talking bears still feels very well observed, especially the stuff in Shush Ninjas and My Clique, and that gives it a very cozy feel.
what do you mean by the bolded part?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Solaris Knight posted:

Also, where's the full version of that K-Pop song from Panda's Dream?

As I understand it all the music is written specifically for the show. Which is both amazing and tragic unless they release a soundtrack or something.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ShadowCatboy posted:

As I understand it all the music is written specifically for the show. Which is both amazing and tragic unless they release a soundtrack or something.

You can get the songs actually! It's all composed by Brad Breeck, the same guy who does the music for Gravity Falls. He has a soundcloud with a bunch of the songs from the show free for download except, sadly, Panda's K-Pop jam.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 17, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
All of the square phones make me feel like a old square :smith:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I was looking at wiki to make sure Charlie was voiced by Jason Lee and ended up finding this:

quote:

Kevin Johnson of The A.V. Club gave "Everyday Bears" a B. He thought the show was charming enough to enjoy, but not "must-watch". He praised the voice actors, but was disappointed that the show didn't thoroughly explore the discrimination humans have towards the bears and ended by calling it a "very good 'just okay' kind of show" until the discrimination is explored.

Not every show needs to be an exploration of the human experience.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Gaunab posted:

I was looking at wiki to make sure Charlie was voiced by Jason Lee and ended up finding this:

this is literally why I love this show because it's basically just a slice of life and doesn't try to be all deep and edgy about it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Gaunab posted:

Never go to CineD.

I don't mean that in a condescending or joking tone, that's just general advice.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

pandaK posted:

this is literally why I love this show because it's basically just a slice of life and doesn't try to be all deep and edgy about it.

I think its an unfortunate side effect of Steven Universe starting to become big, now every cartoon that premieres from now on has to tackle some deep social issue or somehow challenge conventional story telling in some way, instead of just being a good show. Kind of like how shows suddenly weren't good if they weren't doing ridiculous crazy storylines when Adventure Time was becoming big.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

I think its an unfortunate side effect of Steven Universe starting to become big, now every cartoon that premieres from now on has to tackle some deep social issue or somehow challenge conventional story telling in some way, instead of just being a good show. Kind of like how shows suddenly weren't good if they weren't doing ridiculous crazy storylines when Adventure Time was becoming big.

Adventure Time was the one who really kicked off every cartoon having to have an epic sprawling interconnected tragic backstory full of progressive identity politics, Stephen Universe just concentrated it and is at the peak of its popularity while Adventure Time has been waning for some time now.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Adventure Time was the one who really kicked off every cartoon having to have an epic sprawling interconnected tragic backstory full of progressive identity politics, Stephen Universe just concentrated it and is at the peak of its popularity while Adventure Time has been waning for some time now.

Oh, I'm aware of that, I'm more saying that SU is starting to kick off the "Social Justice" aspect that I think a lot of modern reviews are going to cling to when reviewing things, as they seem to have a bigger focus on social issues than AT did at it's peak (can't speak for it nowadays as I haven't watched it in about a year)

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my god Ice Bear is adorable when he's in a cold fury. :3:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gaunab posted:

How miserable do you have to be in your day-to-day life if the most important thing about pop culture is whether it has a social or political message that you agree with, instead of whether you enjoy it? These sorts of people take Karl Rove's advice that "everything is political" way further than George W. Bush-era Republicans did.

That's why I enjoy Clarence and this show. They're not trying to build a universe or overtly score brownie points among the people who would rather approve of TV shows than enjoy them (although Clarence does have plenty of "progressive" moments in it), they're just cute, fun shows.

mycot posted:

Never go to CineD.

I don't mean that in a condescending or joking tone, that's just general advice.
It's very good advice. Somehow, they manage to out-Tumblr Tumblr when it comes to pop culture deconstruction. As Freud once said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 18, 2015

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I swear the facial expressions in this episode were pure gold:

Y-Hat posted:

How miserable do you have to be in your day-to-day life if the most important thing about pop culture is whether it has a social or political message that you agree with, instead of whether you enjoy it? These sorts of people take Karl Rove's advice that "everything is political" way further than George W. Bush-era Republicans did.

That's why I enjoy Clarence and this show. They're not trying to build a universe or overtly score brownie points among the people who would rather approve of TV shows than enjoy them (although Clarence does have plenty of "progressive" moments in it), they're just cute, fun shows.

It's very good advice. Somehow, they manage to out-Tumblr Tumblr when it comes to pop culture deconstruction. As Freud once said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Somewhat related, but you guys remember that artist who drew the REALLY adorable WBB fanart? I just learned recently that she quit doing so because she got some pretty sharp hate mail from dudes who claimed that her portrayal of the Bears was "fat-phobic" because Grizz and Ice Bear were portrayed as not-fat. Someone also ranted that they disliked how Grizz was portrayed as black, Ice Bear as white, and Panda as "not Asian enough."

It was apparently a really horrible experience from some really misguided social justice rage and she just didn't want to stir up controversy she just wanted to draw cute human bears. :(

But yeah if anyone has tumblr don't try to pressure her to get back into doing WBB, just send her some nice messages and reblogs if you can to help cheer her up.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Better yet, don't use Tumblr at all. Yes, the crowd that gets all pitchforks-and-torches over fundamentalist interpretations of sociological concepts that they learned about through some posts there are a relatively small part of the people that use it, and most people are just there to do stuff like make fan art, obsess over TV shows, and blog. But like any group of maniacs, they're a very loud minority, they ruin things for everyone else, and they actively look to start poo poo.

If people wanted to interpret something about society at large from We Bare Bears, I guess they could extrapolate something on the latest episode about Cave Share and how tech ruins everything it touches. But that's quite a stretch (even though Cave Share is totally inspired by Airbnb), since it's just there as a way to advance the plot.

I also just noticed that Chloe and Charlie are in the opening sequence, along with Nom Nom. I wonder how many other characters we're going to see from there.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

I also just noticed that Chloe and Charlie are in the opening sequence, along with Nom Nom. I wonder how many other characters we're going to see from there.

I think that girl that Panda has a crush on is in there too, running her stand

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

But that's quite a stretch (even though Cave Share is totally inspired by Airbnb), since it's just there as a way to advance the plot.
About CaveShare, question : did Grizz and Charlie misunderstand what it was? The pictures we were shown looked more a spelunking share site, enthusiasts showing off nice grottos and treks they found and invinting other people to join in on the fun. Or was I the one who misunderstood?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Y-Hat posted:

Better yet, don't use Tumblr at all.

Tumblr finds the artists it deserves. Getting fans better than a bunch of fickle obnoxious teenagers that will turn on you in an instant requires talent and imagination beyond mashing X popular nerd thing with Y art style or Z piece of pop culture detritus and letting the reblogs roll in.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Tumblr finds the artists it deserves. Getting fans better than a bunch of fickle obnoxious teenagers that will turn on you in an instant requires talent and imagination beyond mashing X popular nerd thing with Y art style or Z piece of pop culture detritus and letting the reblogs roll in.
Well, there are a fair number of artists that work on cartoons who have their own Tumblrs where they post cool behind-the-scenes stuff and share the qualities that you mentioned. Now that I put it that way, that makes the fact that Tumblrites went so gung-ho on some nobody who makes fanart even sadder.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Y-Hat posted:

Well, there are a fair number of artists that work on cartoons who have their own Tumblrs where they post cool behind-the-scenes stuff and share the qualities that you mentioned. Now that I put it that way, that makes the fact that Tumblrites went so gung-ho on some nobody who makes fanart even sadder.

Speaking of:

http://wedrawbears.tumblr.com/

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Also someone had to point out to me the amazingly subtle Twilight joke:

(Bella Swan has no goddamn personality)

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Apologies for the triple post, but wanted to bump for an announcement.

:siren: WBB is back this coming week, 1 new episode each day :siren:

Titles and plots:

[Ep 14] Brother Up: The hierarchy of the bears' is disrupted after Panda scares away a pack of wolves, thus making him leader.
[Ep 15] Occupy Bears: The bears must battle the ones who want to destroy their cave.
[Ep 16] Panda's Sneeze: Panda goes viral after a Vine video about his sneeze.
[Ep 17] The Road: The bears have a flashback when they were cubs and discovered a warehouse.
[Ep 18] Emergency: After getting pinched by his ear by Grizzly's pet crab, him and Panda must get Ice Bear to the hospital.

The latter two sound both adorable and tragic.

Also here are some more humanified bears for y'all...

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
you are definitely the better OP.

I like how cartoon network was so taken aback by the Stevenbomb concept that they're willing to play something other than Teen Titans Go every night for a week.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

"Ice Bear wouldn't show that off."

Source: http://moosoppart.tumblr.com/

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 12, 2015

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Welp, not much to say other than that was fun and cute. Wish more people watched and had stuff to say.

Have some art from the staff.

Baby bears...

(All sourced from here.)

Also, I feel dumb only now realizing that Ice Bear lives inside the fridge for real.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
My roommate and I were a little annoyed that they weren't babies from the beginning because that episode was so freaking cute it was almost painful.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
People are still posting ugly anime versions of cartoon bears? Lol

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

People are still posting ugly anime versions of cartoon bears? Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU