Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Given the number of threads devoted to Bethesda games, I think It'd be just fair to have a thread for the European counterpart of the Elder Scrolls series.

I've been replaying the entire Gothic trilogy, and ultimately I think it's superior to the Elder Scrolls, both mechanically, and from an art direction angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stentorian Hoot
Jun 14, 2001

Couldn't get it up...
Cool thread.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I played Gothic 3 and died after being stunlocked by a boar. Great

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Every thread in games doesn't need to have an enormous eyesore of an OP.

Gothic games are cool, with Gothic 2: Gold being one of the best CRPGs ever. All the Piranha Bytes Gothics are incredible (even 3), and the first Risen is great. When they started to make the following Risen games more console friendly they started to get worse but they're still pretty good games.

Gothic 2 has that hilarious CGI of the castle getting attacked by a dragon and a soldier yelling poo poo but I can't find it for some reason.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Haven't played Gothic 3, but I heard it's alright?

Here's hoping their new sci-fi game is going to be as good as Gothic 1 & 2. Not quite counting on it though. :v:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gothic 1 and 2 are some kf the best rpgs ever

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Line Feed posted:

Haven't played Gothic 3, but I heard it's alright?

It's very buggy, the last bug-catching patch was released like three months ago.

But if you install the patches, it's a good game, arguably with a larger world than Skyrim, and with better design.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
[quote="Node" post="448943113"] more console friendly they started to get worse but they're still pretty good games.
/quote]

G 1&2 were incredibly console friendly, given they were designed to be controlled without mouse, and with controllers. They just failed to secure the rights to release those games on the consoles.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
IMO, Gothic 3 beat Skyrim at it's own game, back when just Oblivion was out.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Given the number of threads devoted to Bethesda games, I think It'd be just fair to have a thread for the European counterpart of the Elder Scrolls series.

I've been replaying the entire Gothic trilogy, and ultimately I think it's superior to the Elder Scrolls, both mechanically, and from an art direction angle.

Uhh huh.

I don't think I'm cherry picking here, this is the 1st screenshot on GMG's Gothic 3: Gold Edition page. Can you post some examples of the strong art direction because all I saw in my search was stiff looking generic medieval European fantasy.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

The art has always been pretty standard fantasy in the Gothic series. The draw of the Gothic series for me is that they have open worlds that are actually fun to explore because they're not so huge and empty. There are no copy pasted dungeons like there are in Oblivion and Skyrim so exploring is usually rewarded with a unique experience.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

7c Nickel posted:

Uhh huh.

I don't think I'm cherry picking here, this is the 1st screenshot on GMG's Gothic 3: Gold Edition page. Can you post some examples of the strong art direction because all I saw in my search was stiff looking generic medieval European fantasy.

This is a really random picture of a generic enemy against a cliff wall. Speaks about the effort of promoting the G3 in the West, I'll post some of my own screens in a bit.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

drkeiscool posted:

Quite honestly, Gothic offers a more varied environment than Skyrim, while having about as good a story (meaning a bad, but serviceable story)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

The art has always been pretty standard fantasy in the Gothic series. The draw of the Gothic series for me is that they have open worlds that are actually fun to explore because they're not so huge and empty. There are no copy pasted dungeons like there are in Oblivion and Skyrim so exploring is usually rewarded with a unique experience.

Actually, in Gothic 1 and 2, I really liked the strange blend of realism and expressionism - even mundane enemies such as wolves were at the same time almost cartoonish, and it created a unique atmsphere. Not to mention the fantastic enemies such as molerats and and scavengers.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Gothic 2 Night of the Raven is fantastic.

drkeiscool posted:

With the community patch maybe. Without it, it's just extremely repetitive and dull.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yo, here I some pictures I made in five minutes that are better than the poo poo presented upthread:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

steinrokkan posted:

Yo, here I some pictures I made in five minutes that are better than the poo poo presented upthread:

None of these are better than anything I've seen in Skyrim. Which isn't too say they are bad, but there isn't anything special about them.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

All I remember about the 20 or so hours I spent playing gothic and risen games is that they all played like single player MMOs (kill 15 of these creatures, gather 20 berries, etc). I wasn't impressed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, first - they are ten years older than Skyrim, second - they don't really present the full effect of shaders.

Like, Gothic makes it quite ridiculous that there's no worthwhile dynamic lighting in Bethesda games.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also I guess it's matter of personal taste, I found the Skyrim world embarrassingly plain.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

gothic 2 is seriously up there for best rpg of all time for me.

also risen 1 is basically gothic so is that okay to talk about?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I never bothered playing Risen, but yeah, it's a Piranha Bites game, so feel free to talk about it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

My name's Ruthie and I like

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

I never bothered playing Risen, but yeah, it's a Piranha Bites game, so feel free to talk about it.

risen 1 is really good if you like gothic 1+2, and its probably pretty cheap at this point. risen 2 isn't very good though and the focus of traveling to other islands actively detracts from the game imo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Re: Like, Gothic makes it quite ridiculous that there's no worthwhile dynamic lighting in Bethesda games.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
For some reason I never played any of the Gothic series even though I have them on steam and I'm pretty sure they'd be up my alley. Loved Risen 1 though, good poo poo. I noticed that the whole Risen series is 80% off on steam, is 3 worth playing? I was pretty disappointed with 2.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Risen 2 and 3 are about equally garbage. Risen 1 is good.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I can't recommend a Rien game, but you should try Gothic 1 & 2, you can probably get them both for a total of $10 from GOG.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

steinrokkan posted:

Well, first - they are ten years older than Skyrim, second - they don't really present the full effect of shaders.

Like, Gothic makes it quite ridiculous that there's no worthwhile dynamic lighting in Bethesda games.

Graphics don't make a setting interesting. Lighting usually doesn't either unless your doing something weird and artistic with it. What you posted was a bunch of fairly generic medieval landscapes, and those would stay that way no matter how good the graphics were.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

Graphics don't make a setting interesting. Lighting usually doesn't either unless your doing something weird and artistic with it. What you posted was a bunch of fairly generic medieval landscapes, and those would stay that way no matter how good the graphics were.

Well, what original landscapes are there in either Oblivion or Skyrim?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

steinrokkan posted:

Well, what original landscapes are there in either Oblivion or Skyrim?

Never said they had many, though Shivering Isles in Oblivion was more interesting than what they normally do.

Personally I think Oblivion and Skyrim both look very nice in some areas but I'd still say the landscapes are generic. That doesn't make them bad, but there's nothng special about it. Saying Gothic had much better art design implies something really unique about it but from the screenshots you posted I'm not seeing much to set it above Oblivion/Skyrim.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Incidentally all Risen games are 80% off on Steam at the moment: http://store.steampowered.com/sale/risen/

The first one's the only good one, though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

Never said they had many, though Shivering Isles in Oblivion was more interesting than what they normally do.

Personally I think Oblivion and Skyrim both look very nice in some areas but I'd still say the landscapes are generic. That doesn't make them bad, but there's nothng special about it. Saying Gothic had much better art design implies something really unique about it but from the screenshots you posted I'm not seeing much to set it above Oblivion/Skyrim.

I honestly think Gothic is nicer, but it's difficult to express in static images, especially whey you are talking about games that take 100+ hours to explore.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think Risen 3 is pretty decent, given that it takes most of the poor design decisions of 2 and bins them while retaining the dumb, kooky pirate/voodoo schtick. It remains janksville though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

marxismftw posted:

All I remember about the 20 or so hours I spent playing gothic and risen games is that they all played like single player MMOs (kill 15 of these creatures, gather 20 berries, etc). I wasn't impressed.

you are wrong

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i couldn't get into risen. i'll gladly buy the studios new sci-fi game tho

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I can imagine people playing Gothic / Gothic 2 for a bit and getting really frustrated because they got murdered trying to kill a mosquito.

Persevere, and enjy the evolution from a wimp into a literal god.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Gothic 1 and 2 are some of the best RPGs I ever played. Piranha Bytes really knows how to make a world that feels lived in. Their maps are small compared to poo poo like Skyrim but they're so full of hand placed detail that it's hard to even compare the two. I was really hoping that with JoWood collapsing and Nordic Games picking up everything that PB would be given the opportunity to remake Gothic 1.

Gothic 2 also has my favorite insult in a video game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuE2yud9BWI
It's so good.

Risen 1 was so, so, so close to being amazing. It's such a shame. It would be up with Gothic 2 as an amazing RPG if it wasn't for the last third. I mean, look at this poo poo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UARKChxxL4U
It had such a great atmosphere. It also had some pretty sharp, fun writing.

It's too bad that Risen 2 completely sandbagged the franchise. If Risen 2 had improved on Risen 1 the same way that Gothic 2 improved on Gothic then it'd definitely have been a franchise people cared about.

Risen 3 was much better but still had some of that Risen 2 baggage. It returned to the 'camp' idea from Gothic 1/2 and took Risen 2's archipelago idea and greatly expanded on it. The islands were bigger and more detailed but it still wasn't great. The story was also kinda dumb. Risen 1 ended with a really cool premise but then Risen 2/3 only barely touched on it and was just "Pirates are cool, right? Also Titans I guess."

Edit: gently caress Gothic 1 and 2 were so good. The early-mid 2000s was such a great time for weird, buggy, ambitious european/russian games.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

The Gothic series was hilariously buggy and awkward, but I loving love those games and have played each of them countless times. No other RPG has captured the essence of levelling up from useless turd to amazing bas rear end motherfucker as well as Gothic.

• Locked thread