Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

el oso posted:

Unforgiven is so, so good.

Indeed. "Claudia's Theme" is one of my favorite songs from a film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bloodcider posted:

Does movie-voice-trailer guy even still exist? Or was he completely replaced by Inception BWOMs?

Real talk: He died. They had a couple other guys at some point but they all sounded horrible.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
How restrictive are we being with the definition of the Western? Are we confining it to movies taking place on the US western frontier?

For me the Western does not necessarily have to be set in the American Southwest. For me a Western is a story that takes place on a frontier. I feel this way because the establishment of the genre focused on one of the world's last frontiers, the American westward expansion. I'm also taking some of this from Turner's Frontier Thesis. So given my stance movies like Last of the Mohicans count as a Western as it takes place on both a literal and figurative frontier. I'd count No Country For Old Men as a Western as it takes place on the cusp of change in criminality, the 1980s and the cocaine cowboy era, and the aging sheriff can't cope with it. He was living on a frontier and civilization arrived with all its attendant bloodshed and horror. For me that's what his dream about his father carrying fire in a horn means. His subconscious is telling him that he needs to move on.

For me, operating under my personal definition of what a Western is, the best Western I've seen is Threads. It takes place on a post-attack nuclear frontier. It is unlikely that civilization will ever return, the frontier in all its brutality is a permanent fixture. There is no going native and returning to civilization because civilization is a smoldering, radioactive ruin and no one is coming to clean it up. For me Threads is the ultimate Western. It's also bleak as gently caress.

The Road also works for this in my opinion.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Bloodcider posted:

This thread made me look up more recent westerns and I ended up with the trailer for Colin Farrell's magnum opus, American Outlaws.

Does movie-voice-trailer guy even still exist? Or was he completely replaced by Inception BWOMs?

That reminds me of the movie The Long Rider, also about the James gang. It was okay, but notable for having actual brothers play brothers in the movies.

The Carridines are the Younger brothers, James and Stacy Keach are the James brothers and Dennis and Randy Quaid are the millers. Christopher Guest and Nicholas Guest play the Ford brothers.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 19, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

AFewBricksShy posted:

That reminds me of the movie The Long Rider, also about the James gang. It was okay, but notable for having actual brothers play brothers in the movies.

The Carridines are the Younger brothers, James and Stacy Keach are the James brothers and Dennis and Randy Quaid are the millers. Christopher Guest and Nicholas Guest play the Ford brothers.

That sounds so bizarre. Is it a comedy?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I would like to throw out Ravenous as a good movie about people with hats like people in western movies wear them.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not really. It had some funny moments from what I remember but it wasn't a comedy. It's directed by Walter Hill and fits pretty well into his style

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081071/

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

It's a Water Hill film, so no. It's as serious as a heart attack. It also features James Remar and a fantastic knife fight. Really, it's very much worth watching.

EFB

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Jeremy_X posted:

How restrictive are we being with the definition of the Western? Are we confining it to movies taking place on the US western frontier?

For me the Western does not necessarily have to be set in the American Southwest. For me a Western is a story that takes place on a frontier. I feel this way because the establishment of the genre focused on one of the world's last frontiers, the American westward expansion. I'm also taking some of this from Turner's Frontier Thesis. So given my stance movies like Last of the Mohicans count as a Western as it takes place on both a literal and figurative frontier. I'd count No Country For Old Men as a Western as it takes place on the cusp of change in criminality, the 1980s and the cocaine cowboy era, and the aging sheriff can't cope with it. He was living on a frontier and civilization arrived with all its attendant bloodshed and horror. For me that's what his dream about his father carrying fire in a horn means. His subconscious is telling him that he needs to move on.

For me, operating under my personal definition of what a Western is, the best Western I've seen is Threads. It takes place on a post-attack nuclear frontier. It is unlikely that civilization will ever return, the frontier in all its brutality is a permanent fixture. There is no going native and returning to civilization because civilization is a smoldering, radioactive ruin and no one is coming to clean it up. For me Threads is the ultimate Western. It's also bleak as gently caress.

The Road also works for this in my opinion.

So does that mean Fist of the North Star is a Western by that definition?

And some Osterns and Red Westerns definitely don't take place in the American southwest, but I'd consider them legitimate westerns.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Road Warrior is a pretty good western.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Road Warrior is a pretty good western.

The film's tale of a community of settlers moved to defend themselves against a roving band of marauders follows an archetypical "Western" frontier movie motif, as does Max's role as a hardened man who rediscovers his humanity when he decides to help the settlers.[5]

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

computer parts posted:

The film's tale of a community of settlers moved to defend themselves against a roving band of marauders follows an archetypical "Western" frontier movie motif, as does Max's role as a hardened man who rediscovers his humanity when he decides to help the settlers.[5]

Yeah.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

DarkSol posted:

So does that mean Fist of the North Star is a Western by that definition?

And some Osterns and Red Westerns definitely don't take place in the American southwest, but I'd consider them legitimate westerns.

By my definition yes Fist of the North Star is a Western. My definition is based partly on Turner's concepts of The Frontier and partly on the way John Ford deconstructed the genre he helped to create with his later works. Basically for me a Western doesn't have to be dusty Southwestern US townships and black hats and white hats. To me the only reasons the Western is so strongly tied to the American Southwest is one, that was the last place "civilization" pushed into and two, John Ford had a huge boner for the scenery there and it is for these reasons that we can broaden the definition of what a Western is. For me the genre would be better called Frontiers rather than Westerns because, for me at least, it is the characters' interactions with both The Frontier and encroachment of Civilization that drive these movies.

That's just my two cents though and everyone is free to disagree with me. There are plenty of Western purists that do which makes me sad since the traditional Western is fading as it isn't an interesting or thrilling setting, or at least that's how it appears to me.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
There are space westerns too, using that 'morality on the edge of the frontier' definition. Like http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082869/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_32

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Outland is just a western, full stop.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It has to be either Dead Man or the remake of True Grit for me. I've watched both maybe a dozen total times and they never get old.

e: The Assassination of Jesse James is definitely up there as well.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Outland is just a western, full stop.

What about Blade Runner?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Valley of the Gwangi is best Western.

NerfHerderEX
Aug 13, 2015

GG!
If you're throwing space westerns in the mix, then you gotta talk about Oblivion. It's cheesy low budget schlock, but in a good way.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Ghosts of Mars is basically another Carpenter remake of Rio Bravo.

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011
The Cowboys.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

effectual posted:

What about Blade Runner?

The very premise of Blade Runner is a fascinating sci-fi concept. The closest Outland gets to science fiction is the mind blowing premise of an old lady being way cooler than Sean Connery.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's cool how almost every culture has a version of the itinerant warrior. Whether it's a cowboy, a samurai, a kungfu master, a knight, a musketeer/cavalier or a road warrior. It'd be really cool, as an experiment, to create a pretty generic script, give it to directors from a bunch from different cultures and see how the same script gets interpreted. I mean, I know we got that sort of with Yojimbo and Fistful, or Seven Samurai and Magnificent Seven.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 23, 2015

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

It's cool how almost every culture has a version of the itinerant warrior. Whether it's a cowboy, a samurai, a kungfu master, a knight, a musketeer/cavalier or a road warrior. It'd be really cool, as an experiment, to create a pretty generic script, give it to directors from a bunch from different cultures and see how the same script gets interpreted. I mean, I know we got that sort of with Yojimbo and Fistful, or Seven Samurai and Magnificent Seven.

Or Last Man Standing, or A Bug's Life.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Let's not forget the remake of The Magnificent Seven that's happening next year, by Antoine Fuqua of all people.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2404435/

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

effectual posted:

What about Blade Runner?
That would more like if a movie was set in Kansas City or something and they had to track down some Indians / train robbers / cattle rustlers / whatever that snuck into the city. There's no frontier depicted in that movie, but it's close by.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Best Spaghetti Western: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Best John Ford Western (John Wayne Division): The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Best John Ford Western (Henry Fonda Division): My Darling Clementine
Best John Wayne Performance: The Searchers
Best "Modern" Western (Post-1980): Unforgiven
Best Western that is Shane: Shane
Best Modern Western That's Not Really a Western: No Country For Old Men
Best Western of 2015: Slow West

Seriously check out Slow West, it's streaming free if you have Amazon Prime and it loving owns. It should be a goon classic, as it's the first movie I know of in the Western genre that could have been adapted from an E/N thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTjJly9POz0

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 23, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Best Eastern:At Home Among Strangers, A Stranger Among His Own
Best Southern: The Proposition.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

david_a posted:

That would more like if a movie was set in Kansas City or something and they had to track down some Indians / train robbers / cattle rustlers / whatever that snuck into the city. There's no frontier depicted in that movie, but it's close by.

Like Hang em High?

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Once Upon a Time In the West.
Wild Bunch.

Good Bad Ugly is overrated.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Big money rustlas starring the ICP

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

White Phosphorus posted:

Once Upon a Time In the West.
Wild Bunch.

Good Bad Ugly is overrated.

GBU isn't as deep as those films, but is a lot more fun than either.

First Hangman: "...wanted in fourteen counties of this state, the condemned is found guilty of crimes of murder, armed robbery of citizens, state banks and post offices; the theft of sacred objects, arson in a state prison, perjury, bigamy, deserting his wife and children, inciting prostitution, kidnapping, extortion, receiving stolen goods, selling stolen goods, passing counterfeit money and contrary to the laws of this state the condemned is guilty of using marked cards and loaded dice. Therefore, according to the powers vested in us, we sentence the accused before us, Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez and any other aliases he might have, to hang by the neck until dead... may god have mercy on his soul... proceed."

Second Hangman: "...wanted in fifteen counties of this state, the condemned standing before us... sitting before us... Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez has been found guilty by the third district circuit court of the following crimes: Murder, assaulting a justice of the peace, raping a virgin of the white race, statuatory rape of a minor of the black race... derailing a train in order to rob the passengers, bank robbery, highway robbery, robbing an unknown number of Post Offices, breaking out of the state prison, using marked cards and loaded dice, promoting prostitution, blackmail, intention of selling fugitive slaves, and counterfeiting. Crimes against places of high authority include burning down the courthouse and sheriff's office in Sonora. The accused is also guilty of cattle rustling, horse thievery, supplying Indians with firearms... misrepresenting himself as a Mexican General, unlawfully drawing salarly and living allowances from the Union Army. For all these crimes the accused has made a full and spontaneous confession. Therefore we condemn him to be hung by the neck until dead... may the lord have mercy on his soul... proceed."

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 25, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Are you saying it tells you more specifically what they did in GBU than in the other two? Or was that a scene in one of the movies?

I'm not sure I get what you're saying there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

Are you saying it tells you more specifically what they did in GBU than in the other two? Or was that a scene in one of the movies?

I'm not sure I get what you're saying there.

He's saying Tuco is loving hilarious and there isn't a Tuco in The Wild Bunch or Once Upon a Time in the West.

I guess you have to hear the hangman actually reciting that laundry list for the full effect.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The Good the Bad and the Ugly is a film I should love. It's got a bit of everything. Gunfights, scowling, battle scenes, dehydration, other gunfights. Somehow, though, I enjoy watching it the least of any of the dollars trilogy.
For a Few Dollars more is my favourite. I'm willing to accept that this is all just because I'm some kind of crazy person.

TheJoker138 posted:

Real talk: He died. They had a couple other guys at some point but they all sounded horrible.
There's a rad little film about this event and the industry called "In a World" starring the excellent Lake Bell.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 26, 2015

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

Fereydun posted:

that's a shame.. i'm assuming the digital versions are all based off the US release?
the difference is quite drastic- it's truly a huge loss if there's no readily available version that managed to keep those beautiful colors

I watched this UK version yesterday and as far as I can tell the colors a washed out as well.
Looking around for a version with the original colors proved to be very frustrating. Lots of wrong information on the different DVDs and all these lovely movie blogs just use the same promotional pictures. At the moment I'm not sure if there exists an original colored DVD at all. Has anyone really seen a good version on DVD?
There is a German DVD I could try but like the UK one it is 97 minutes long and so I guess it's based on the same cut. The best bet at the moment would be the Australian release of 101 minutes but it seems hard to get.

The most frustrating thing about this is that the few places where someone actually talks about the different releases just focus on the length. I frankly do not care whether it's the 97, 101 or 109 minute version as long as the colors are bright.

true.spoon fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 26, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

The Good the Bad and the Ugly is a film I should love. It's got a bit of everything. Gunfights, scowling, battle scenes, dehydration, other gunfights. Somehow, though, I enjoy watching it the least of any of the dollars trilogy.
For a Few Dollars more is my favourite. I'm willing to accept that this is all just because I'm some kind of crazy person.

I've seen the other two Dollars movies a whole bunch of times, but I hadn't seen For a Few Dollars More until just today.

It's definitely got some of the best individual scenes in the whole trilogy, but it doesn't really come together like the Good the Bad and the Ugly.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
It's the best Lee Van Cleef movie, which is a persuasive argument for it being best of the 3.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

bullet3 posted:

It's the best Lee Van Cleef movie, which is a persuasive argument for it being best of the 3.

I can't argue with this. Let's light a pipe by striking a match off a hunchback's hump to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It was nice seeing Lee Van Cleef be the good guy/hero for once. Also El indio is an amazing villain.

• Locked thread