Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'd agree with that assessment but I haven't seen it in years. James Coburn's great in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's a good film but flawed. There's an interesting look at revolutionary conflict in there. It also has far too many titles, jesus christ.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Slow West was very good. I feel like Fassbender was maybe a little bit wasted, he didn't have all that much to do in the movie, it was more about the younger character Jay. Still, the scenery is top notch and the story is very good. Its barely 90 minutes so it flies by.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Slow West was very good. I feel like Fassbender was maybe a little bit wasted, he didn't have all that much to do in the movie, it was more about the younger character Jay. Still, the scenery is top notch and the story is very good. Its barely 90 minutes so it flies by.

Yeah. I watched it for the scenery and came away satisfied, though the final third had a very "a western, as directed by reddit" feel to it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

MonsieurChoc posted:

It would be the best Leone movie if not for the other ones.

El Indio is definitely a loving great villain. And Lee Van Cliff as a good guy!

I really love during one of Indio's introductory scenes when the score just goes to full on ominous organ music.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

david_a posted:

Has anybody seen Leone's Duck, You Sucker? I think it's the only Western of his I haven't seen and I never see it mentioned.

It's a good movie. I found it supremely frustrating in its refusal to take a definitive stance on revolutionary politics, but it's most frustrating because it is entirely understandable.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I always mentally conflate Duck, You Sucker!, which I haven't seen, with My Name is Nobody, which I have. No particular reason other than Leone directed a few scenes in the latter, which is all over the place tonally due to having weird 70's western humor. Overall worth watching though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I really love during one of Indio's introductory scenes when the score just goes to full on ominous organ music.

It's not just his introduction: it's his first duel in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjFVOuYShp0

It's a loving amazing scene.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
So much great cinema in one movie. I love the moment towards the end where we transition back from Indio's flashback and can hear Lee can Cleef yelling at him "This is Douglas Mortimer! Does the name mean anything to you?" and it's just enough for the viewer to finally piece together what the scope of the film's drama is, a revenge that remains somewhat ambiguous but just understandable enough to make the final showdown unforgettably tense.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Anybody ever see the Japanese version of Unforgiven? I heard it's almost a scene-for-scene remake of the original.

Why had I not heard of this...?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Dog_Meat posted:

Why had I not heard of this...?

It only came out a year or two ago. I've been wanting to see it.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Watching once Upon a Time in the West with my girlfriend, she has never seen this, we're 3 scenes in and she observes, "so, Tarantino didn't invent this..."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Armyman25 posted:

Watching once Upon a Time in the West with my girlfriend, she has never seen this, we're 3 scenes in and she observes, "so, Tarantino didn't invent this..."

What's up Aatrek.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

precision posted:

What's up Aatrek.

What an odd thing to say.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Armyman25 posted:

What an odd thing to say.

Sorry, it was just a bad joke. If you don't know who Aatrek was, you should just keep it that way.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
The Dollars trilogy is probably my favourite series of films, but I personally find Once Upon a Time in the West to be less enjoyable - it has some perfect scenes, but to my mind has too much silly humour when compared to the others. And there's one track of the soundtrack that's really... Silly I guess?

The film and soundtrack seems less epic in scope, and less serious, than The Good the Bad and the Ugly. And that film is hilarious in places without ever seeming silly. It's still a good movie, I just don't enjoy my rewatches as much as For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I am not too big of a Western fan, but I did like Unforgiven and the Good the Bad and The Ugly as well as the Proposition. I actually think I liked the Proposition the most out of all of them.

I really didn't like the 3:10 to Yuma remake, but then again, I never saw the original.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Sadly, I just watched and was super disappointed by Lucio Fulci's Massacre Time, starring Franco Nero. It was sold to me as a pretty wild film, but other than the creepo villain (rather than being the usual evil cattle baron trying to shake down the town, the villain gang is actually acting on the arbitrary orders of the cattle baron's psychotic son, who abuses his father and holds him hostage) it was pretty forgettable. Didn't help matters that the dub was particularly bad, even for a grindhouse western.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I enjoy the western most as a vehicle to talk about a dying/changing way of life, and from that angle my favorite western is The Misfits.

I can never really take my mind off this film and the sort of tragedy surrounding the 3 leads (Gable died before release, Monroe shortly after, and Clift a few years later), it's the kind of bittersweet feeling I get when I listen to classic cheesy stuff like Marty Robbins Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs. I can't help but picture Montgomery Clift every time I hear The Strawberry Roan. I absolutely love Monroe in this film, and it's really hard to believe how far gone she was during filming, perhaps due to her unraveling marriage to Arthur Miller who wrote it, or perhaps due to a host of other reasons. She has this wistful electricity that makes me feel like she had her whole career ahead of her...but apparently she was already pretty out of it on pills and booze on set and could barely keep it together for basic scenes. The authenticity of the three actors, their strung-out chemistry, and Huston's documentary sensibilities during the wrangling scenes are simply captivating to me.

I think a lot of the same things could be said about Deadwood which, by and large, is also about the passing of an era. The fact that the series doesn't have an "ending" is unfortunate but somewhat beside the point, the whole series IS an ending, a bloodstain on the floor. It was more about the journey anyways, the endless interpretations of dense language and the messy process of cohabitation, almost anarchic in its notion of lawless self organization as ideal. Deadwood is the best western in recent memory, but I certainly wouldn't argue with people praising classics like The Searchers, High Plains Drifter, Stage Coach, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, GBU, Unforgiven, etc.

When I was a kid, more than traditional westerns, I was into the relatively new film tradition of Native American revivalism mainly brought about by Dances with Wolves, which gets knocked on a lot but I still have a soft spot for. DwW has the feel of a western hybrid due to Costner's hand and the locations/cinematography, but it's sort of a different genre altogether (I guess maybe "eastern" or revisionist western, though echoing what people in the thread have said about the whole genre being somewhat revisionist), even though it's often about the same topics as traditional westerns: passing of eras, loss of culture, traditionalists stuck between a rock and a hard place. That movie led me to Black Robe, The Last of the Mohicans, The New World, and my current boundless anticipation for The Revenant.

Shout out to The Great Train Robbery, and yes There Will Be Blood is absolutely a western.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
High Noon is great, if nothing else for the scene where the woman tells Lloyd Bridges, "Kane is a man- you're just a boy," just loaded with disgust that could melt steel.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I don't know why, but one of my favorite scenes from GBU is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meP_Ufwj-FY. I might skip a few scenes when re-watching it, but never that one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

effectual posted:

I don't know why, but one of my favorite scenes from GBU is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meP_Ufwj-FY. I might skip a few scenes when re-watching it, but never that one.

I really love this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgyWgEPeY2o

Not necessarily because its so tense, which it is. For whatever reason I really like scenes in Westerns where people eat, for instance the scene in The Searchers where Martin eats a plate of beans and then has to run out before finishing. I guess frontier-type food is appealing to me, who knows.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Watching Shane for the first time, I did not realize how much of a remake of this movie that Pale Rider is.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Armyman25 posted:

Watching Shane for the first time, I did not realize how much of a remake of this movie that Pale Rider is.

Shane also has one of the best bar fights in cinema.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

It's does that. Ben Johnson is pretty legit. He's like John Wayne if John Wayne were real.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010
This is why I was kind of surprised to see several people mentioning Pale Rider - not that it isn't good, but it's a remake of Shane and is inferior in pretty much every way. Really, I'd be tempted to put Shane second on my list behind Unforgiven.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Yea I recently saw Shane for the first time and that bar fight was pretty eye-opening. Just the right mix of fun and brutal. I watched a lot of The Wild Wild West when I was a kid and I think the style of the fistfights in that show was taken directly from that scene.

Ben Johnson is great. He's one of those guys that seems like he really should live in the old west.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Jack Palance was an evil-looking motherfucker on par with Lee Van Cleef too. Both of them are just naturally born to play people you do not want to mess with.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Slow West is fanatastic. It was a lot funnier than I had expected. It has a lot of gags that are basically dark slapstick like the scene near the end where a character gets shot and then a jar of salt on the shelf above him is also shot and all of it falls directly into his wound .

tirinal posted:

Yeah. I watched it for the scenery and came away satisfied, though the final third had a very "a western, as directed by reddit" feel to it.
I know it has sort of a "friend zone" going with Jay and Rose but I think what we're supposed to take away from that is that Jay is naive and doesn't really understand how relationships work. Rose is obviously one of the smartest and most capable characters in the entire film. I take it that that's what you mean by "as directed by reddit."

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 4, 2015

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Slow West is fanatastic. It was a lot funnier than I had expected. It has a lot of gags that are basically dark slapstick like the scene near the end where a character gets shot and then a jar of salt on the shelf above him is also shot and all of it falls directly into his wound .

I know it has sort of a "friend zone" going with Jay and Rose but I think what we're supposed to take away from that is that Jay is naive and doesn't really understand how relationships work. Rose is obviously one of the smartest and most capable characters in the entire film. I take it that that's what you mean by "as directed by reddit."

No, I was actually referring more to the gags themselves. Salt poured on the wound, the way the Native American went out, the explosions. It was all just random props that felt like they were inserted because somebody on the internet went "hey, wouldn't it be really meta if...".

Anyway. In other maybe-a-neo-western news, the full trailer for the Revenant went live a few days ago and is incredible.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Shane is one of my favorite westerns and it's one of the post war Westerns that feature the theme of the cycle of violence being something a person can't escape. Which makes for a wonderful metaphor for PTSD in the post war era.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

blackguy32 posted:

I am not too big of a Western fan, but I did like Unforgiven and the Good the Bad and The Ugly as well as the Proposition. I actually think I liked the Proposition the most out of all of them.

I really didn't like the 3:10 to Yuma remake, but then again, I never saw the original.

I haven't seen the remake but the original holds up fairly well.

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014
No mention of Hondo
:colbert:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mariguana posted:

No mention of Hondo
:colbert:
Hondo is a pretty generic western from what I can remember.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

The best Western is Wagon Master, OP

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
This thread makes me aware that although I have what I'd guess offhand to be 12-15 westerns, I need more westerns.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Antoine Fuqua is re-making the magnificent 7.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2404435/

Even if it's not great, I hope it does well, because that means we may get a few more higher budget westerns in the pipeline in the next couple of years. I liked training day and it seems that the cast is pretty solid, so hopefully it's good.

Edit: Beaten by a few months:

Raxivace posted:

Let's not forget the remake of The Magnificent Seven that's happening next year, by Antoine Fuqua of all people.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2404435/

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 8, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Radio Spiricom posted:

The best Western is Wagon Master, OP

That's... actually a pretty drat good choice.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
John Ford made so many goddamn movies that Wagon Master has managed to stay under my radar until now. I think there's a cheap DVD on the shelf at my local Barnes & Noble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

I've seen something like 45 Fords, some of my favorite Fords are not Westerns (7 Women, How Green Was My Valley, The Long Voyage Home, Donovan's Reef, The Quiet Man, The Long Gray Line, They Were Expendable, Young Mr. Lincoln) it's absolutely overwhelming, not just how many films he made, but how many good films he made. But I think Wagon Master is absolutely his best Western, his most beautiful and most human, and, while I think calling Ford "poetic" is played out, his most poetic. And the best John Ford Western is probably the best overall Western ever made. Honorable mentions to Two Rode Together, Cheyenne Autumn, Fort Apache, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Rio Grande, and naturally Stagecoach, The Searchers, and My Darling Clementine

Also gonna plug The Lusty Men, which I think is just as good as -- if not, better than -- Johnny Guitar as far as Nick Ray is concerned

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 8, 2016

• Locked thread