Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Yeah, I'm cool with waiting to see more from Hal, but latching onto me for being weirded out about ~flavor~ when other people are voicing confusion (or lying, or whatever) about the whole thing... I dunno, it's some weird stuff. Not looking at votes and totally confusing names because you KNOW who you WANT doesn't feel like good town.

I'm willing to believe Quid right now because the last sentence here. Quids a better player than that and we both know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yuming found herself some catnip this game apparently

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Yea totes. Actually I am just really confused and thing ~weird things~ are happening so.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Quidnose posted:

Waffle on Kashuno without making a call

Quidnose posted:

Oh hey, it is Kumba, not Kashuno. Well someone got a lot of votes who's name started with a K and had h's, n's, and o's in it.

Ehh

Quidnose posted:

dismissing yourself from poetntially being wrong because you're "not reading well,"

Quidnose posted:

For what it's worth I got almost no sleep last night and just came off of 8 hours of listening to people talk about education theory at me all day. I'm pretty loving wiped so I apologize if I'm not being super coherent.

Ehhhhh

Kashuno posted:

This struck me the wrong way. It seemed like a way to pick a fight with Quid over pedantic stuff.

Nah, I did get a little hot and bothered over the soft call, and I really don't like gut calls, especially when they get pushed repeatedly. I'm kind of in the boat of thinking Quid's just off his game, though.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I've gotta go get chicken before the chicken place closes, but I'll be back something fierce (and with chicken) in a little while.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to bed and I really don't like the idea of leaving kumba at -2 when we have 3 people who haven't even posted yet.

##unvote

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Yeah, I'm cool with waiting to see more from Hal, but latching onto me for being weirded out about ~flavor~ when other people are voicing confusion (or lying, or whatever) about the whole thing... I dunno, it's some weird stuff. Not looking at votes and totally confusing names because you KNOW who you WANT doesn't feel like good town.

Aight hold up, this is some bullshit here.

First of all, I didn't ask you for an opinion on Hal. I asked you for an opinion on Kashuno. I asked YUMING for an opinion on Hal. So I don't really understand why you decided to bring up the fact that I made a gut call on Hal in your initial post. It had absolutely nothing to do with you, and I can see no reason for opening your post in a tone that mocks a statement I made on you other than to attempt to subtly tear down my credibility. That was initially what set me off on your response.

Secondly, at the time I entered the thread flavor discussion had begun to die down. See here:

Kumbamontu posted:

that's not true at all

it was a dumb gotcha i'll admit, but you can't say my vote on kitiara was "looking for reasons to pounce on things" and those are the only two votes i've made, so

Kumba defends his play based on reasoning and content, nothing to do with flavor.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

There's definitely some awkward day 1 fumbling for footing going on. Kash comes off as pretty shaky in defending himself, but Kash is kind of a shaky dude even (especially?) when he's town.

I think I might be reading something off kilter between the lines here in general, but I don't think I have enough to introduce a theory off of. I am sort of curious what the Hal feels are about.

Your own post here is moving away from flavor and starting to discuss play.

Opopanax posted:

I feel like Kumba has done something very similar before and flipped town anyways. Kumba, does this feel familiar at all?

Meta discussion, not flavor based.

Kumbamontu posted:

I think it's not very Quid of Quid to be ignoring the elephant in the room at -2, like a scumbo that doesn't know how to interact with it for fear of either me tooing or putting a late vote on someone he knows to be town

Quid are you scum

Kumba sees something I'm doing that's weird and calls me out on it. Nothing to do with flavor.

So while the flavor discussion was definitely the major point of discussion before I entered the thread, once I had entered the thread there are several different play, content, or even meta based statements here that are shifting the game towards productive mafia play. But I want to once again toss in your response post here:

Lunatic Sledge posted:

And I'm not a huuuuuge fan of gut calls.

If it's about my something off-kilter, I'm just getting hung up on flavor calls still. People are claiming feral, non-feral, native and non-native animals without any issue, making me wonder what the hell the scum actually are. Flora and a tough climate?

Right now I'm looking at MC for flavor chasing before we really had settled on how important that is, and Kumba for some pretty hard (and not entirely sensible?) chasing. And for just nonchalantly brushing off someone outright lying on day 1.

YOU are the one who pulls it back to flavor immediately. You are incredibly defensive about something that isn't even being discussed at the moment, and are overly sensitive to the way you are being perceived in a flavor discussion that isn't even happening anymore. To dismiss this as "voicing confusion over why you are doing this" as you do is completely dismissive of my point: I'm not confused as to why flavor is being discussed, I'm confused as to why you barrel it back out into the forefront of discussion with a "actually guys please don't think I look bad for talking about content!" when nobody was pointing a target at you for it. It's weird as hell.

The vote thing, I got names confused. People make mistakes. Show me what about me doing that was purposeful ignorance with an intent to obfsucate my own play or make myself look more townie, and I'll give your argument more validity. Your case is weak.

Where's your vote?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Nah, I did get a little hot and bothered over the soft call, and I really don't like gut calls, especially when they get pushed repeatedly. I'm kind of in the boat of thinking Quid's just off his game, though.

Buddying up.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I've gotta go get chicken before the chicken place closes, but I'll be back something fierce (and with chicken) in a little while.

10:1 the plan with this was to see if I came out swinging at him and then 180 with a manufactured case on me.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

yuming posted:

Gut calls are good gut calls are the best.

##vote Grandicap

This is true, gut calls are awesome when you have a ~~feeling~~ that you can't articulate. Gut calls are terrible because you can hide behind them without expanding upon it. I have problems with gut calls before there is material for a gut call. Feeling posts are off or wonky is all well and good, but manufactured gut calls are bad.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Well that's not fair, my point here is that by buddying up and then promising a case Lunatic would be able to respond in turn based on my response. If I came in and was warming to him he could case someone else and point back to his cooling on me on D1 when I flip town, but if I came in swinging (as I did) the option was left open for him to change his mind and continue to push me. It's a non-commit.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Grandicap posted:

This is true, gut calls are awesome when you have a ~~feeling~~ that you can't articulate. Gut calls are terrible because you can hide behind them without expanding upon it. I have problems with gut calls before there is material for a gut call. Feeling posts are off or wonky is all well and good, but manufactured gut calls are bad.

Do you have an opinion about actual gut calls as they appear in this thread, dad? Because this post is "gut calls are bad except when they're not."

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Grandicap, why claim a PGO role? I don't just want to hear that you wanted to make sure no innocent town died or whatever, because that's bullshit. The way to play PGO is to work at appearing both town and like you have some important role to draw the scum to you, not to completely nullify the role by claiming it.

Frankly it looks like an uber-miller claim from a scum because now you are scaring off poo poo that could still catch you if you claimed miller like rolecop or tracker and giving yourself an excuse for why you never get NK'd

TELL ME YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Quidnose is remarkably good at calling me out when I am scum. He's also terrific at calling me scum when I am town. I'm pretty sure he thinks I am scum 90% of the time and like 40% of those times he's actually right. Unfortunately usually when he calls me scum no one listens and invariably he gets left alive for most of the game pleading with people to kill me but ultimately feeling the pain of another town loss filled with frustration. I almost feel bad.

All that aside, Quid seems totally townie to me this game and I'm sure I will win him over with my keen eye for the scum.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
Good lord, alright.

Quidnose posted:

Aight hold up, this is some bullshit here.

First of all, I didn't ask you for an opinion on Hal. I asked you for an opinion on Kashuno. I asked YUMING for an opinion on Hal. So I don't really understand why you decided to bring up the fact that I made a gut call on Hal in your initial post. It had absolutely nothing to do with you, and I can see no reason for opening your post in a tone that mocks a statement I made on you other than to attempt to subtly tear down my credibility. That was initially what set me off on your response.

You didn't ask me about Hal, no, and I didn't give an opinion on Hal either. All I did was suggest that I wanted more out of you about it. See, it does have something to do with me, because if Hal's scum and you think he's scum then I want to be convinced to vote on the scum. I don't like gut calls because they're a good excuse for scum to chase town unchecked.

quote:

YOU are the one who pulls it back to flavor immediately. You are incredibly defensive about something that isn't even being discussed at the moment, and are overly sensitive to the way you are being perceived in a flavor discussion that isn't even happening anymore. To dismiss this as "voicing confusion over why you are doing this" as you do is completely dismissive of my point: I'm not confused as to why flavor is being discussed, I'm confused as to why you barrel it back out into the forefront of discussion with a "actually guys please don't think I look bad for talking about content!" when nobody was pointing a target at you for it. It's weird as hell.

The vote thing, I got names confused. People make mistakes. Show me what about me doing that was purposeful ignorance with an intent to obfsucate my own play or make myself look more townie, and I'll give your argument more validity. Your case is weak.

Where's your vote?

Man, I ain't making a case. The thing about you confusing the votes and the names was that you went after Hal, with no evidence, and without even taking the time to clarify who was doing what or what the gently caress was going on. That's not good town or Quid, that's tunneling of the highest caliber. Kash is telling me I'm picking fights, you're telling me I'm buddying up. And I'm being defensive because you keep avoiding the poo poo you're doing weird, ignoring that I keep mentioning the flavor poo poo because MC, Pig, and yuming are or have acted particular about it, all in favor of pursuing bad cases on me and non-existent cases on Hal. A case on Hal that I guess was just to tide you over until I came along.

Given that Hal's now in the thread not addressing any of this very well, but instead jumping Grandi for an early PGO claim (which is actually not a terrible thing for town to do if they are PGO), I'm actually going to go ahead and pick up the case you left behind.

##vote Hal

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Like you want me to address a gut claim that Quid specifically didn't elaborate on?

What's the point? What could I say?

Shouldn't I be, you know, looking for scum?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Look, I hate flavor arguments as much as the next guy, but the more I look at my role pm the more I think that given the way the scum team is referred to in my PM that being suspicious of someone claiming cats and feral pigs is totally legit even if I don't think it's a sure-fire scumslip. I am suspicious of anyone who doesn't realize that.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Also yuming is being super shady. Yuming talk about the actual game or I am voting you.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Also yuming is being super shady. Yuming talk about the actual game or I am voting you.

yuming posted:

I am confused... I don't know what I think about anyone.

Are there scums, what is a scum even~

I said earlier I had a theory, this is it: I think there's multiple groups of town. Both town groups were told to eliminate the threat to them, and I think people are getting confused about the other town team existing. I don't think the town teams are threats to each other, I think there's still a real scum group. I think town is split into two or more third parties, basically.

That's the poo poo I'm getting hung up on. People are claiming groups that don't fit each other like they're separate teams, but they're all proudly announcing those things like they clear them as town. This is a good environment for scum to start getting scummy in, though, because it's confusing at first.

I don't like Quid trying to tunnel, and now I really don't like him trying to shut down the flavor talk when it's clearly affected the gameplay of more than just me.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I said earlier I had a theory, this is it: I think there's multiple groups of town. Both town groups were told to eliminate the threat to them, and I think people are getting confused about the other town team existing. I don't think the town teams are threats to each other, I think there's still a real scum group. I think town is split into two or more third parties, basically.

That's the poo poo I'm getting hung up on. People are claiming groups that don't fit each other like they're separate teams, but they're all proudly announcing those things like they clear them as town. This is a good environment for scum to start getting scummy in, though, because it's confusing at first.

I don't like Quid trying to tunnel, and now I really don't like him trying to shut down the flavor talk when it's clearly affected the gameplay of more than just me.

A wild goose chase proposition on day one. The flavour is clear given the amount of introduced species in Australia. Feral as a third party is also worth consideration but I'm fairly sure town is native and scum are introduced species.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Anidav posted:

A wild goose chase proposition on day one. The flavour is clear given the amount of introduced species in Australia. Feral as a third party is also worth consideration but I'm fairly sure town is native and scum are introduced species.

So do you think Yuming was just smoking a lot of pot when she announced she was a cat, or--?

And if that's the case, and everybody's so positive, why is there such a weak Yuming case? She literally announced she was an invasive animal. Some poo poo's going on here.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
How are there so many posts? There were non last night!

Honestly, you all sound scummy. Am I the only town? :ohdear:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Anidav posted:

gently caress, let me really back up here: How is what I said a wild goose chase, when I'm trying to suggest the scum team is disconnected from all the flavor claims, and clear up confusion that like four people have had over their PMs? You can get a good case for accusing me of covering for invasive!claims, sure, but what do you think I'm chasing besides scum?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I never tried to shut down flavor chat, I literally said that THE WAY YOU BROUGHT IT UP was ODDLY DEFENSIVE AND ILL TIMED, and I found that scummy. Why are you misrepresenting everything about what I'm doing, Lunatic?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Lunatic Sledge posted:

So do you think Yuming was just smoking a lot of pot when she announced she was a cat, or--?

And if that's the case, and everybody's so positive, why is there such a weak Yuming case? She literally announced she was an invasive animal. Some poo poo's going on here.

I'm not voting for yuming because if she's scum it will most likely be very obvious if she's forced to post more. I'm giving her a chance to prove herself.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Lunatic Sledge posted:

am i the only person that doesn't know what the hell any of this means?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm pretty sure it was said a cat with a visitor power that does nothing but I theorize it might kill on birds.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Kumbamontu posted:

am i the only person that doesn't know what the hell any of this means?

I'm saying I think the "town are native, scum are invasive" thing is wrong.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
rereading the wording of my role pm i understand what you're saying now, got it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm going to go ahead and not make flavour cases, myself

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Opopanax posted:

I'm going to go ahead and not make flavour cases, myself

That's exactly what I'm trying to nip in the bud, poo poo's been bothering me since the beginning of the game. poo poo like this

Kumbamontu posted:

i'm pretty sure the scum are non-native species and the town are native species.

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Guys I hate to be the first person to drop a J bomb but I'm leery at how open yuming is about the fact that she is obviously not native fauna

Anidav posted:

Feral as a third party is also worth consideration but I'm fairly sure town is native and scum are introduced species.

This is a death sentence for likely town if somebody's a flavor cop, and at least two people have already claimed non-native species as their dealio. I don't want scum using this. I don't want to see "oh, well, X said he was a fox or whatever and those aren't native so scum" being a legit argument in this game. I'm killing that poo poo right now.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Well the only other faction I can think of that would make all other animals not scum is hunters with guns.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If flavour actually means anything, fake claims will have been provided. It's a dead end and white noise

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Opopanax posted:

If flavour actually means anything, fake claims will have been provided. It's a dead end and white noise

So who do you think is scum right now?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

No idea, I'm quite ill and barely paying attention. I feel like Mced is probably town though, because if he were on a scum team they would all be yelling at him to shut up. Someone else discussing that stuff, but in a more subtle, guiding way

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Opopanax posted:

No idea, I'm quite ill and barely paying attention. I feel like Mced is probably town though, because if he were on a scum team they would all be yelling at him to shut up. Someone else discussing that stuff, but in a more subtle, guiding way

Sounds like Lunatic Sledge :v:

Feel better opop~

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Quidnose posted:

Sounds like Lunatic Sledge :v:

Feel better opop~

I've been a lot of things, I would hate to think subtle is one of them

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Hoooooooolllldddd up.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Lunatic Sledge posted:

That's exactly what I'm trying to nip in the bud, poo poo's been bothering me since the beginning of the game. poo poo like this

This is a death sentence for likely town if somebody's a flavor cop, and at least two people have already claimed non-native species as their dealio. I don't want scum using this. I don't want to see "oh, well, X said he was a fox or whatever and those aren't native so scum" being a legit argument in this game. I'm killing that poo poo right now.

You don't want me shutting down flavor talk because it's relevant to gameplay, but you want to shut down flavor talk because it's bad for the game? This is a major contradiction, yo.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Kumbamontu (4): Kashuno, Opopanax, Kitiara, Grandicap, Kashuno, Grandicap, Grandicap, Kashuno, CapitalistPig, Kashuno
Kashuno (2): MC Eating Disorder, Kumbamontu, CapitalistPig, CapitalistPig
Grandicap (1): yuming
Lunatic Sledge (1): Quidnose
Hal Incandenza (1): Quidnose, Quidnose, Lunatic Sledge
Quidnose (0): Kashuno, Kashuno
CapitalistPig (0): Kashuno, Kashuno
yuming (0): MC Eating Disorder, MC Eating Disorder
Kitiara (0): Kumbamontu, Kumbamontu
Anidav (0): Quidnose, MC Eating Disorder, MC Eating Disorder, Quidnose

Not Voting (4): Anidav, bowmore, Hal Incandenza, Kashuno

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to lynch. The current deadline is August 25th, 2015 at 11 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 22 hours, 48 minutes.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Quidnose posted:

Hoooooooolllldddd up.

You don't want me shutting down flavor talk because it's relevant to gameplay, but you want to shut down flavor talk because it's bad for the game? This is a major contradiction, yo.

I'm not trying to shut it down, I'm trying to clarify it. The flavor exists and the split exists and probably has some kind of relevance, but everybody early on brushed it off as being 1-for-1 tied with scum vs town and I don't think that's it. We have at least two people that think their non-native animal is town and like four+ people that think non-native animals are scum, I feel like that's the sort of thing that needs to get addressed before it comes back to bite us in the rear end.

My whole reason for talking about flavor was to figure out what the gently caress was going on, since a number of folks were voicing confusion and acting weird given the early conclusions. If I'm wrong we can vote off a pig and a cat right now and call it a day, easiest scum hunt ever, but I don't think it works that way. I don't think we should go forward thinking it works that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
I'm getting real curious about all the Kumba votes. Some of these started as joke votes that just didn't leave.

• Locked thread