Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I go through many small towns and it makes me sad. The roads are crumbling, the shops are all run down, and there just isn't much going on. But boy howdy, do those churches look nice!

Sorry Timmy, there isn't enough money for the busses to run this year for school, but that church just got a new gymnasium! Awesome!

Welp, those street signs can't be replaced, but the church has just sent three deacons to Venezuela!

Its always depressing because all the young people leave to great cities like Des Moines or Ames and the town is left to struggle along. So what is left now a days are rapidly aging tiny towns with little infrastructure that don't have much to offer anyone. All the jobs are for small business owners that have been entrenched for years or for people working for the state.

I wonder what these small towns will look like in 20 years. Will they even still be there? Their hey-day was about 40 years ago when the small town business was able to offer competitive wages and productivity in blue collar manufacturing work. Now thats all gone.

What are your experiences with small towns? Are they cool and good, or should they be left to crumble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
good

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
tbh op i got through more of that post than i thought i would

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
ames sucks

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
I live in a village and it really good.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CVLVaBECuc

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I didn't know Ames was still in business.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
this isn't a new phenomenon

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
I actually look forward to the day we're all crammed into carcinogenic dystopias killing one another

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
We need more churches.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Small towns mostly suck.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

corpuscollossus posted:

I actually look forward to the day we're all crammed into carcinogenic dystopias killing one another

Yeah, blade runner was pretty sweet!

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
this town's dyin cloud. shinras suckin the life out of it motherfucka

...whatever.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Hey rear end in a top hat, the check cashing stores and sweepstakes/bingo/poker stores are also doing well in those towns. Don't hate.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

corpuscollossus posted:

agreed, we really did peak with 19th century philly

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
The liberals want to force everyone to live in cities

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
why do you hate God so much, OP?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Posting in a stealth "the south" post by Jastiger.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Is this viral marketing for a new Stephen King novel?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Thanks for the tip OP, I'll keep a keen eye out and practice my CPR in case I run into any towns dying during my daily activities.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Everyone at Farm and Fleet is hungover, pissed off, and looking for a reason to fight

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

The liberals want to force everyone to live in cities

unironic, sincere good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swvf3w6hcY4

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I was in a small town in Iowa for college. So that particular economy was riding on the college. It also had a ton of churches.

I don't think our towns should be left to crumble, I think we should at least be keeping the infrastructure up. It's weird that now with the internet and amazon prime etc etc, the disadvantages of a small town are not as important anymore. But I mean a city offers people, jobs, popular stores. I totally understand why people are not going back to small towns. Perhaps its better suited for families and old dying people

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
good

also iowa is a terrible place

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Jastiger posted:

great cities like Des Moines or Ames

oh word

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

good

does jag seriously live in iowa because thats some loving shakespearean levels of irony

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Somebody should do something about that

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i think the main culprit here is rampant steroid use in professional baseball

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I was in a small town in Iowa for college. So that particular economy was riding on the college. It also had a ton of churches.

I don't think our towns should be left to crumble, I think we should at least be keeping the infrastructure up. It's weird that now with the internet and amazon prime etc etc, the disadvantages of a small town are not as important anymore. But I mean a city offers people, jobs, popular stores. I totally understand why people are not going back to small towns. Perhaps its better suited for families and old dying people

I know more than one person who says they'd miss the culture of the city if they left, but they mostly sit around and watch Netflix and order pizza.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

good

i'm considering posting a slipknot video in this thread

should i do it???

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

BigBoss posted:

I know more than one person who says they'd miss the culture of the city if they left, but they mostly sit around and watch Netflix and order pizza.

City Domino's is clearly better thay small town Domino's.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Omi-Polari posted:

should i do it???

If you do I won't click it. Just saying.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Omi-Polari posted:

should i do it???

you from iowa too?

oh wait maybe that'd be korn

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
you can order more kinds of food to be delivered later at night if you live in an actual city

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Did they serve the amazing "Iowa Chop" at your college's cafeteria?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
also you can interact with people who may have different ideas or ethnic backgrounds than you

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

proof of concept posted:

you can order more kinds of food to be delivered later at night if you live in an actual city

Yes but it might contain dead homeless person

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I live in a town of 10k people, its very boring. Our most popular restaurant is DQ, followed closely by McDonald's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

• Locked thread