Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Small towns here in the Midwest are usually full of stupid racist redneck shitbags who think Jeff Dunham and/or Larry the Cable Guy are the epitome of great comedy. Basically, gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
It is a statistical fact that small towns are dying. More and more people are moving into urban areas.

source

I've lived in both tiny towns and huge ones, and I prefer the huge ones by a landslide. It's nice to have everything you need within walking distance, and it's also great to never run into the same people twice.

I am also probably one of the least sentimental people on the planet, and as long as history is recorded in books, its display can crumble and burn and I really don't give a poo poo.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
the small towns is dyin' cloud hahahah gently caress you op

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
The country views are so intreresting though

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tato posted:

Did they serve the amazing "Iowa Chop" at your college's cafeteria?

Reported for not capitalizing IOWA CHOP.

Living in the city you can order food BESIDES pizza. Its just better.

What is cool and good about small towns? I remember living in a small town and its like GRATS WE JUST GOT 56k INTERNET HAHAHAHA.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i lived in a town in illinois with my grandparents for a little while and it had 900 people in it. i made friends with one kid and we did everything together we rode bikes and sled down hills and we even got nintendos at the same time and played mario and marble madness. when i went back to visit years later i learned that he became a football quarterback in high school, got a cheerleader pregnant and dropped out to marry her. it was like on one hand i wanted to say dang bro but on the other i wanted to laugh because that poo poo's out of like a made for tv movie.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
get owned lovely small towns like des moins

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Infidel Castro posted:

Small towns here in the Midwest are usually full of stupid racist redneck shitbags who think Jeff Dunham and/or Larry the Cable Guy are the epitome of great comedy. Basically, gently caress them.

If you don't think Git R Dun isn't the funniest thing you ever heard then you need to get your rear end out my US of A, libtard.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Bip Roberts posted:

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
which judge dredd district will you want to live in? dibs on 69

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bip Roberts posted:

Des Moines is the greatest midwest city. Its a proven fact backed up with science and statistical analysis.

This thread is about actual small towns where the local businesses have product sitting on the shelf for an average of 6 years before it sells.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Infidel Castro posted:

jeff fa fa

duuuuunhaaaaaaaaam

dot cooooom

good shjit

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Advantages:
You can walk everywhere
Victorian style architecture
Easy to make friends
Really good burgers and pizza

Disadvantages:
Juggalos
Fat gently caress baby boomers everywhere
Almost everyone hates black people and mexicans
Only options are burgers or pizza

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Family Dollar
Dollar Tree
Dollar General

Who needs anything else? Who cares about the city, small towns have everything you need!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Arian_Samurai posted:

Advantages:
You can walk everywhere
Victorian style architecture
Easy to make friends
Really good burgers and pizza

Disadvantages:
Juggalos
Fat gently caress baby boomers everywhere
Almost everyone hates black people and mexicans
Only options are burgers or pizza

You can do all of the advantages in a big city.

Truth about baby boomers though.

I mean, I can appreciate living in a smaller town. It makes sense, in a way. Know everyone, childhood friends, can be safer, etc.

But if you want culture or technology there isn't anything to offer. And it has got to suck to own the corner store and have the FEd Ex truck drive by with the same products for 80% of the price you're selling it for.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Ohio is full of these little towns with one main street you have to drive through. Its clear these use to be bustling little burgs 40 years ago but now maybe two storefronts are still open. and one is probably a post office. It is deeply, quietly saddening.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I'd leave the city but then it would be a lot harder to casually make it known that I'm cool with black people

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Jastiger posted:

Des Moines is the greatest midwest city. Its a proven fact backed up with science and statistical analysis.

This thread is about actual small towns where the local businesses have product sitting on the shelf for an average of 6 years before it sells.
You know that Chicago is a Midwest city, don't you? That's the third most recognizable US city.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

notZaar posted:

You know that Chicago is a Midwest city, don't you? That's the third most recognizable US city.

yeah and it sucks balls, sorry

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Naerasa posted:

Probably not half as hard as ,"des Moines". gently caress I bet even Milwaukee is probably less lovely.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

The liberals want to end sundown towns

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Naerasa posted:

Des Moines kicks Chicago's rear end every which way.

Except in murders and being an unaffordable backed up hellhole, CHicago takes that one.

It really IS sad to see these once proud towns that had a lot going for them to become just shells of themselves. I mean I'm not like..HAPPY they are dying, but its kind of for the best in our society in many ways. Its still a bit depressing to see the main drag have just a bar open, maybe a bank, and then the churches. Everything else is left to rot because there just isn't any money or motivation for it.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

notZaar posted:

Probably not half as hard as ,"des Moines". gently caress I bet even Milwaukee is probably less lovely.

Most of Milwaukee itself is a dump. It's basically the Pittsburgh of the Midwest.

Actually, come to think of it, I'd rather live in Pittsburgh.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Infidel Castro posted:

Most of Milwaukee itself is a dump. It's basically the Pittsburgh of the Midwest.

Actually, come to think of it, I'd rather live in Pittsburgh.

"I'd rather you lived in Pittsburgh too" - your neighbor

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
You seem upset that churches suck up all the money in small towns, but Des Moines literally means of the monks.

WHERE IS YOUR iowa chop NOW?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Looking forward to living in a mega block, OP.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lived in really small towns and big cities enjoyed both

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actually think cities peak at around 100K people, you can always travel to larger cities for the museums and stuff. Which let's be honest, you don't go to every day. But do you know what you do almost every day in a big city? commute forever.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Some small towns are cool, but I wouldnt wanna live there if I was under 40.

It would be nice to have a house w a couple acres of land and LOL thats not happening in a city/suburb

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ghlbtsk posted:

You seem upset that churches suck up all the money in small towns, but Des Moines literally means of the monks.

WHERE IS YOUR iowa chop NOW?

HOLY poo poo THE NAME FROM the 1800s TOTALLY INVALIDATES ALL OF SOCIOLOGICAL DATA. Idiot.

Also capitalize IOWA CHOP or gtfo.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Jastiger posted:

HOLY poo poo THE NAME FROM the 1800s TOTALLY INVALIDATES ALL OF SOCIOLOGICAL DATA. Idiot.

Also capitalize IOWA CHOP or gtfo.

Whats w the weird Iowa inferiority complex. Does Des Moines even have an airport?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Pick posted:

But do you know what you do almost every day in a big city? commute forever.

I lived 8 miles from work when I lived in Atlanta. Commute was minimum 45 minutes but usually around an hour so 2 hours in the car to go 16 miles every day, poo poo sucked.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

fyi: des moines is a small town

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Wafflz posted:

I lived 8 miles from work when I lived in Atlanta. Commute was minimum 45 minutes but usually around an hour so 2 hours in the car to go 16 miles every day, poo poo sucked.

That's what jet packs are for

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Jastiger posted:

great cities like Des Moines or Ames

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

and Minneapolis is the "best" (lol) mid west city

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ArmZ posted:

and Minneapolis is the "best" (lol) mid west city

I live here and since it's so sprawling you can end up with an OK commute if you know the streets but anyone who is telling you this city has a culture is dead lying. They try so loving hard to be Portland but they just don't get it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Wafflz posted:

poo poo you could probably bike that in 30 minutes. There's no hills in Atlanta right?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ArmZ posted:

fyi: des moines is a small town

Top 100 city in population in the US fucker.

THis is a thread about small towns, not about Des Moines superiority. Small towns with populations under like ~3k.

If you want to discuss Des Moines, there is a thread for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Infidel Castro posted:

I think Larry is a legit genius.

• Locked thread