Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded

TwoFire posted:

Go visit Yellowstone. Not a day goes by that some idiot tries to pet an elk or put their kid on a bison. If you are really lucky, you'll get there before the ranger stops it. :dance:

I was warned as a kid in Illinois about elk.
They are huge, testy beasts that will stomp your mortal rear end flush into the sod with their hooves if they so take a notion to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

zimboe posted:

I was warned as a kid in Illinois about elk.
They are huge, testy beasts that will stomp your mortal rear end flush into the sod with their hooves if they so take a notion to.

i grew up right near a herd that would hang out in fields.

in grade school i'd go in the woods by my house and if they were there they would run for it

elk are not scary

naem
May 29, 2011

sometimes I cut people's face of and wear them like haats

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The grizzly and the gorilla would unite against their cruel human oppressors.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
gorillas and other great apes are loving ripped its insane

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

zimboe posted:

If you don't gently caress with them, they're pretty cool. Same with Bison and Moose. Just let them be and don't gently caress around and worst you have to deal with is poo poo on your yard. Never dealt with a grizzly, but hear/saw one outside and decided I could poo poo in the chamber pot instead of goiing out. Goddamn I miss living in nature :cry:

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded

Ramsus posted:

i grew up right near a herd that would hang out in fields.

in grade school i'd go in the woods by my house and if they were there they would run for it

elk are not scary

Well, you were lucky enough to be dealing with elk in a free non-stressed environment, with room to run, which is good.

But they run 1000 lbs plus, and you're just a little annoying pest of a hominid, and the bulls can be pretty pissy bastards in the spring.
Don't try to pet 'em.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Could an extremely tall, heavy, strong man, trained from birth to fight gorillas, win in unarmed combat against a bear?

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
whenever I see videos of gorillas they are always hanging out with their gorilla pals and fighting and stuff. meanwhile bears are goons who spend all their time alone in the woods eating berries. I think maybe a gorilla would have a training advantage over a bear because of all the wrestling and roughhousing they do. a gorilla will have participated in many more simulated fights than a bear and that could make the difference.

bear would still win though. probably.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Do anybody have that gif of a bear doing sweet kungfu moves with a stick

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

zimboe posted:

Well, you were lucky enough to be dealing with elk in a free non-stressed environment, with room to run, which is good.

But they run 1000 lbs plus, and you're just a little annoying pest of a hominid, and the bulls can be pretty pissy bastards in the spring.
Don't try to pet 'em.

no they don't

also they are angriest during the rut, but they are also being hunted then and still run at any sight, smell or sound of a human

why would they be mad in spring

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I would win the fight but only imo

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

How's a gorilla going to deal with this

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

dog buttz posted:

lol people are equating strength with size. the gorilla would shatter the grizzly's skull in one hit

Strength and size aren't strictly proportional, but Grizzlys can take multiple 30-06 rounds to the head before dropping, so I doubt a gorilla punch is going to totally flatten them.

If you've ever seen a skinned bear, they kinda look like a cross between a dog and a person, but huge and skinless....well, not always, obviously

Anyway, I think the gorilla/grizzly fight would be entirely unfair, in the grizzly's favor. Grizzly bearen can be anywhere from 250 to 700 god damned pounds, and average 6.5 feet tall, whereas a gorilla is between 150-250lbs and gets up to what a short man would call average in height.

On top of that, the grizzly has the strongest paws and jaws of any land predator aside from its larger Polar cousin, so the gorilla would need to learn several hundred thousand years of Homo tool making before it could effectively go toe to toe with a grizzly..

A much better matchup would be an eastern US black bear, which are a couple hundred pounds on average, although they can get much larger, and Wikipedia seems to indicate that their extremes have been getting larger, or at least that they're being increasingly forced to interact with human populations, and larger bears that previously held more territory are now being found and killed.

Black bears are, at least in my own experience, not all that aggressive. Yeah, they'll gently caress poo poo up, and follow you up a tree if you piss them off, but they're just as likely to walk right by you if you don't mess with their cubs or whatever. I feel like that is the only possible advantage a primate could have on a bear- rage-fueled aggression. Bears don't fight each other to kill, but primates do, so it might be hard to convince the bear to give it his all, since he would probably assume the gorilla would give up after he'd shown himself to be bigger and stronger. Alternately, the gorilla could sufficiently provoke the bear, and get utterly torn apart. No claws, intimidating, though herbivorous teeth, and ~10x the strength of an equivalently sized man vs all of that, plus huge claws, carnivorous teeth, and a distinct dietary preference for the flesh of mammals.

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 19, 2015

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

The gorilla would lose so badly. Bears are essentially monsters. Gorillas just punch and grab. Fighting a bear is like fighting a steam roller that has crocodiles for arms.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED

Oberleutnant posted:

How's a gorilla going to deal with this

drat thats scary

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Bear would own the gently caress out of a gorilla.

Bear vs Lion has already been done. Bear owned the lion btw

http://historo.com/animal-cage-fighting-in-mexico/

quote:

The two animals circled one another in the cage before Parnell once again pounced and sunk his teeth into Ramadan’s neck. Again the bear responded by hugging his opponent with all his might. The lion’s teeth sunk deeper. In response, the grizzly’s grip grew tighter. To those in attendance it was unclear which of the beasts would give in first. Then, without warning, the lion let go and bellowed out a roar of pain, the bear’s hold so tight that one observer remarked, “I could almost hear the bones cracking.” Ramadan then grabbed Parnell with “a beautiful half Nelson that would have done credit to a professional wrestler” and hurled the lion.

Parnell turned a complete somersault in the air before landing on his feet in the center of the cage. Recovering quickly, the lion circled and attacked Ramadan from the rear. The bear, showing agility not seen up to this point, turned, grabbed the lion, and lifted him into the air. With Parnell’s head dangling, Ramadan began squeezing and shaking the feline as if it weighed the same as a house cat. Ramadan then lifted his opponent into the air and threw him against the side of the cage.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Temperament and intelligence are just as important as physical ability here. If I had the body of a gorilla I think I could kill a bear by chunking rocks at it's head or using a log as a club. Maybe getting on it's back for a choke out. A real gorilla would do none of that. It would charge in punching and bitting and get killed.

Also are we talking a very large 400# gorilla vs a small 400# bear, or is it a 1200 pound Kodiak bear?

Also throughout history, going back to at least the Romans, people have pitted tiger's against asiatic black bears. That is horribly unfair. Throw a grizzly or polar in there with a tiger.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 19, 2015

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Wizchine posted:

I remember seeing some nature show where an angry adolescent male elephant was going around kicking rhinos to death. So that one's already settled.

Ah, here's some nature brutality:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2765034/Battle-giants-Testosterone-fuelled-elephant-fights-black-rhino-protects-calf.html

Holy poo poo the elephant attacked the Rhino with its truck, stomping on it just wasn't mean enough it had to run over the poor bastard too

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Of all the threads to not have a poll, you human being OP :spiderguy:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I want to eat gorilla or other primate meat what country could I do that in

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Does the gorilla know Brazilian jujitsu

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

JiveHonky posted:

What's he gonna do? Pull guard with those little bitch stump legs?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
arm triangle?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JiveHonky posted:

Probably not, but bears use wrestling like moves naturally so advantage bears once again.

Bold Marauder
Mar 27, 2011

And death will be our darling, and fear will be our name
the grrolla would win. it would go a

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

BigwigML posted:

whenever I see videos of gorillas they are always hanging out with their gorilla pals and fighting and stuff. meanwhile bears are goons who spend all their time alone in the woods eating berries. I think maybe a gorilla would have a training advantage over a bear because of all the wrestling and roughhousing they do. a gorilla will have participated in many more simulated fights than a bear and that could make the difference.

bear would still win though. probably.

bears may look cute and cuddly but they are hulking monsters. the gorilla wouldn't have a chance.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
holy poo poo dont google bear attack victims

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

RaceBannon posted:

holy poo poo dont google bear attack victims

link?

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/58898707598840862/

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Code Jockey posted:

its actually a bad idea to eat primates because of prion diseases and stuff, namaste

naem
May 29, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

That's literally where aids came from FYI

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

is there a tree involved?

i can't see one not being involved

both animals can climb trees, but which one would win in the tree? i think the obvious answer is gorilla

think about it. this thread is solved

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

the gorilla would just punch the bear in the head over and over as it chased him up

mistakes at the lake
May 9, 2009

Holy poo poo that guy better hope the bear doesn't wake up from his nap any time soon

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Ddraig posted:

Bear would own the gently caress out of a gorilla.

Bear vs Lion has already been done. Bear owned the lion btw

http://historo.com/animal-cage-fighting-in-mexico/

Holy poo poo this is badass.

the link posted:

The 700-pound American grizzly sat in the center of the bullring, confined within a fifteen-foot high, thirty-foot wide steel cage draped in canvas. The bear’s opponent, a 550-pound African lion was locked in a pen outside of the arena.

When the designated fight time arrived, the lion’s owner used pokers to prod the lion out of his pen and into a portable cage, which he then wheeled into the bullfighting ring and placed flush against the entryway to the bear’s cage. The crowd gasped audibly upon viewing the jungle cat for the first time, most having never seen such an animal before. The lion broke the silence with a loud roar, which the crowd met with cheering and hollering.
When a trainer opened the door separating the two animals, the lion immediately leapt fifteen feet into the air and came down directly on top of his grizzly opponent.

The grizzly, however, managed to stand on his hind legs and extend his forepaws to stop the lion before he could sink his jaws into his throat. The two animals held this upright grappling position, Parnell scratching and clawing at Ramadan’s thick hide, while the grizzly did his best to hold off the lion. The bear was unable to do any damage on his opponent, while the cat successfully used its claws to rip chunks of flesh from Ramadan’s underbelly. Blood and fur carpeted the cage. If not for the bear’s thick hide, Parnell would likely have released Ramadan’s internal organs, putting a quick end to the fight. Finally, after nineteen minutes the combatants fell to the ground.

Parnell stood up and began sniping at Ramadan, the grizzly unable to bring his claws or teeth to bare on the lion. Every time the bruin lunged at the African cat, the more agile lion simply sidestepped and swiped at his opponent. When Parnell came in for one of his strikes, the bear stood on his hind legs and once again grappled the lion. This time, however, Parnell got past the bear’s forepaws and sunk his teeth into the animal’s neck. Ramadan responded by using his brute strength to hug the lion. Shocked by the bear’s strength, Parnell let loose his bite, allowing the grizzly to tackle and mount his opponent. Although Parnell escaped before the bear could do any damage, Ramadan had clearly found a way to defend himself.

The two animals circled one another in the cage before Parnell once again pounced and sunk his teeth into Ramadan’s neck. Again the bear responded by hugging his opponent with all his might. The lion’s teeth sunk deeper. In response, the grizzly’s grip grew tighter. To those in attendance it was unclear which of the beasts would give in first. Then, without warning, the lion let go and bellowed out a roar of pain, the bear’s hold so tight that one observer remarked, “I could almost hear the bones cracking.” Ramadan then grabbed Parnell with “a beautiful half Nelson that would have done credit to a professional wrestler” and hurled the lion

Parnell turned a complete somersault in the air before landing on his feet in the center of the cage.
Recovering quickly, the lion circled and attacked Ramadan from the rear. The bear, showing agility not seen up to this point, turned, grabbed the lion, and lifted him into the air. With Parnell’s head dangling, Ramadan began squeezing and shaking the feline as if it weighed the same as a house cat. Ramadan then lifted his opponent into the air and threw him against the side of the cage.

Parnell’s head struck a steel bar with a thud, and the lion collapsed to the ground. He remained unconscious for over a minute before slowly getting to his feet. Although the lion again attempted to attack Ramadan, it was clear that he had little fight left in him. He was slow and struggling to walk. Ramadan appeared to be done fighting, as well, choosing to parade around the cage instead of continuing the battle. After thirty-three total minutes in the cage, Parnell collapsed to the ground and refused to get up. He was exhausted and possibly suffering from broken ribs and internal bleeding. The fight was over.

Still, gently caress animals fights.

naem
May 29, 2011

Large cats are used to being to being the absolute top predator and only know how to attack and expect a quick fatal strike.

Bears, Grizzlies at least, survived the ice age surrounded by bigger, potentially more dangerous animals than themselves and their physique and behavior reflect this.

Also don't make animals fight its bad :(

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

were bears ever around sabre tooth tigers

cuz I think those teeth could get through the bear`s muscle and fat and tear up some vitals

we need a time machine, pronto

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

naem posted:

Also don't make animals fight its bad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Excelzior posted:

were bears ever around sabre tooth tigers

cuz I think those teeth could get through the bear`s muscle and fat and tear up some vitals

we need a time machine, pronto

yase

• Locked thread