Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm trying to figure out the pin blade helicopter.

So everybody knows these things, right?

Imagine if you had one of these, but cylindrical with the pins arranged along the shaft of the cylinder. Now imagine the pins could rapidly extend out to several yards and be controlled with a high degree of fidelity.

Now imagine we've commanded the pins to take the form of a helicopter rotor, extending and retracting in sequence to create the illusion of rotation.
Something like this:

Would our pin art helicopter rotor actually generate lift?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

No , u dumb.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

No. 6 posted:

No , u dumb.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
No, because like the plane on a treadmill, you've introduced a dumb loving scenario with too many unknown variables

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tailored Sauce posted:

No, because like the plane on a treadmill, you've introduced a dumb loving scenario with too many unknown variables

What are the unknown variables in the treadmill plane?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

What are the unknown variables in the treadmill plane?

x and y. Haven't you ever taken geometry?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

x and y. Haven't you ever taken geometry?

It's been a while.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
didnt read cloesly but can i stick myd ick in it? because if so then yes

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rickycat posted:

depends on what your ick is

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Rickycat posted:

Mine was always too big to fit between the glass and the pins, but I imagine someone probably could.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

a plane on a treadmill doesn't work because air isn't passing over/under the wings at differents speeds, which is what generates lift. similarly, the air in your thing is moving away from the extending pins radially to each pin and over the ends, so no differential in air pressure will occur to generate lift. sorry op, your not going anywahere

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Haev u ever put your cock in a pinart have u? Eh? Hmmmm?

is it safe?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

BeefThief posted:

a plane on a treadmill doesn't work because air isn't passing over/under the wings at differents speeds, which is what generates lift. similarly, the air in your thing is moving away from the extending pins radially to each pin and over the ends, so no differential in air pressure will occur to generate lift. sorry op, your not going anywahere

wrong

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What if the pin assembly were covered by a sheet of an infinitely flexible substance that would allow the pins to more closely mimic the form of a helicopter blade?

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Applewhite posted:

What if the pin assembly were covered by a sheet of an infinitely flexible substance that would allow the pins to more closely mimic the form of a helicopter blade?

Infinitely flexible substances available on ebay now

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

go back to drawing dickgirls

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
im gonna just say no, OP. not because i umderstand anything, im just going wirh my gut.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SirEvelynTremble posted:

Infinitely flexible substances available on ebay now

This is a hypothetical thought experiment, infinitely flexible substances are pretty standard.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Too much imagination required.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

go back to drawing dickgirls

If a dickgirl stuck her dick in pinart, would it be gay?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

what if the plane is a seaplane

also how do seaplanes take off without wheels

mysteryyyyyyyy

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
what about the negative material plane? u ever run a campaign in that one or are u a lil primey puss?

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Applewhite posted:

This is a hypothetical thought experiment, infinitely flexible substances are pretty standard.

Your hypothesis is finitely inflexible

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
How the gently caress does the whole long-rear end pin fit into the circle dealy in the middle? Some part of the pin is always going to be sticking out of one side or the other.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YORCk1BN7QY

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

criscodisco posted:

How the gently caress does the whole long-rear end pin fit into the circle dealy in the middle? Some part of the pin is always going to be sticking out of one side or the other.

The pins are flaccid when inside the rotor hub, kind of like a coil of wire in a weed whacker. When they extend out, they become rigid and erect.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

The pins are flaccid when inside the rotor hub, kind of like a coil of wire in a weed whacker. When they extend out, they become rigid and erect.

please don't talk about my childhoood

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Applewhite posted:

Well does a weed whacker go flying up into the clouds every time you fire it up?

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
no but add some laser scanners to map the upcoming road surface and you could make some bitchin skateboard wheels

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

criscodisco posted:

Well does a weed whacker go flying up into the clouds every time you fire it up?

The weed whacker is operating on a different principle.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Applewhite posted:

I'm trying to figure out the pin blade helicopter.

So everybody knows these things, right?

Imagine if you had one of these, but cylindrical with the pins arranged along the shaft of the cylinder. Now imagine the pins could rapidly extend out to several yards and be controlled with a high degree of fidelity.

Now imagine we've commanded the pins to take the form of a helicopter rotor, extending and retracting in sequence to create the illusion of rotation.
Something like this:

Would our pin art helicopter rotor actually generate lift?

faaaaaaaaarts generate methane

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

The weed whacker is operating on a different principle.

Yeah. It does noticeable work

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
If your weed whacker helicopter has to extend it's strings to take off and land, how is this saving any room? I'm assuming the whole point of this would be to save room, but it wouldn't, unless you're just trying to figure out a way to fit a helicopter in the back of your van.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Yeah. It does noticeable work

I work very hard. I recently patented the pin blade helicopter rotor.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

criscodisco posted:

If your weed whacker helicopter has to extend it's strings to take off and land, how is this saving any room? I'm assuming the whole point of this would be to save room, but it wouldn't, unless you're just trying to figure out a way to fit a helicopter in the back of your van.

what?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
You'd be better off patenting that infinitely flexible material.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Too much science I don't get it so yeah probably would be cool think about it you're getting a whole helicopter for 1/4 the blade talk about cost efficiency

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

I work very hard. I recently patented the pin blade helicopter rotor.

noticeable work

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

I mean, what's the point of a helicopter with retracting rotors? It can't be to save space, since in order to take off or land it would have to have them all the way extended.

At least the plane on a runway would save space, and probably make aircraft carriers look a lot different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

criscodisco posted:

Look I'll figure out how to use the drat thing all I'm asking from goons is whether it will work.

• Locked thread