Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maekrix Waere
Jul 10, 2010
I'd prefer to see a Chaos campaign and Eliphas, but I guess I'll vote for Orkz, as they at least have a chance of winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

megane posted:

Join the Guard, they said. No, really, you don't have a choice, they said.

FTFY.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cythereal posted:

Unless you're Imperial Guard, of course. :zaeed:

Yeah, the IG really trivialize that map, and you kind of have to. I tried playing it 'legit', and while I won, it was... more fluff-friendly, shall we say :stonk:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, the IG really trivialize that map, and you kind of have to. I tried playing it 'legit', and while I won, it was... more fluff-friendly, shall we say :stonk:

Aun'el is a cheating bastard who's a stealth detector even though ethereals aren't supposed to detect stealth.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cythereal posted:

Aun'el is a cheating bastard who's a stealth detector even though ethereals aren't supposed to detect stealth.

Really? I managed to snipe him no problems.

Also, have my favourite quote with regards to the 40K universe:

quote:

The Imperium isn't grim because things suck by choice and could be fine if a sensible person came along. That sensible person wouldn't survive fifty seconds of the reality. The Imperium is grim because every single poo poo decision, every single sacrifice, every single death, every single man woman and child suffering a poo poo life in the worst conditions imaginable, is the absolute loving best that can be done. It is a study of the worst happening to everyone and what part of your humanity must be sacrificed today just to stand a chance of survival, and all it asks is whether or not it would have perhaps been better to die.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Voting Orks.

Worst case though I guess we'll suffer through a Baneblade *spits* rolling over everything. I GUESS.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Baneblades are very rare and expensive, and getting one blown up should get a few dozen people executed for poor life choices. Then you bill both to the munitorum as unavoidable enemy action and use it to support your request for deployment of Legio assets.

Then you have a beverage and maybe a shoulder massage (on the shoulder that wasn't blown off and replaced with a bionic).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A bandeblade is nothing that a little more dakka won't solve.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Changing vote from Necrons to Orkz because green iz best.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Voting IG.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CommissarMega posted:

Really? I managed to snipe him no problems.

His vision range is shorter than the assassin's firing range, but I usually slowly try to pick off everything in the Map Quadrant Of Pain And Death, and Aun'el patrols around. He does see through stealth, which is usually the cue for people in Victory Bay to find bits of assassin falling out of the sky.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I don't know why people are voting IG. Orks are for fighting and winning.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I wanted to see the Tau because railguns and Crisis Suits :(

Still, Iggies are fun too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I wanted to see the Tau because railguns and Crisis Suits :(
We'll see them when we stomp all over them and crush them beneath our green feet.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Baneblades are very rare and expensive
See, you say that, and then you get to play the loving IG stronghold.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ZugZugZug Go wid da Orkz!

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Poil posted:

We'll see them when we stomp all over them and crush them beneath our green feet.

I think you mean our jackboots because we're playing the Imperial Guard.

I used to play hours upon hours of Dark Crusades multiplayer, some of the most fun ever in an RTS. The best maps were the ones that always ended in a massive 3v3 Thunderdome in the middle. The people I played with used to joke that my Commissars were killing more of my men than the enemy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

HerraS posted:

I think you mean our jackboots because we're playing the Imperial Guard.

I used to play hours upon hours of Dark Crusades multiplayer, some of the most fun ever in an RTS. The best maps were the ones that always ended in a massive 3v3 Thunderdome in the middle. The people I played with used to joke that my Commissars were killing more of my men than the enemy.
I will not give up hope until the very end. :(

If your Commissars aren't always low on ammo you're playing the guard wrong. If you will not serve in combat, then you will serve on the firing line.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It's a man's life in the Imperial Guard!

Or a woman's life, I suppose. Could be a small child's life, even, I mean, sometimes you go to war with the army you have, and they're right there and all.

Hard to tell whose life it is, it's rather short and altogether bloody, but... it's SOMEBODY'S life, is what I'm getting at here.

But, you know what? I'm voting for the Tau. They seem to have their act together. Yessir, that Kais, he's alright. I certainly welcome the Greater Good and our new filthy xeno overlords and have never said otherwise.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 16, 2015

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Since I'm the only vote for marines, I'll switch it to the Imperial Guard, if we can't be the emperors sword, lets be his sledge hammer.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
ORKS :orks:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Imperial guard!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well, if there's one game that can get 3 pages of goon votes in a single day, this is it.

Imperial Guard.

Imperial guard's motto (Tier 1): "I don't want to die!"
Imperial guard's motto (Tier 2): "If you will not serve in combat, then you will serve on the firing line!"
Imperial guard's motto (Tier 3): "It's payback time!"
Imperial guard's motto (Tier 3.5): "Ready to unleash 11 barrels of hell!"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Also, you should post about this thread in the New LP Thread.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

It is the BAAANE BLAAAAAADE

go guard

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Well, let's see. Tallying up the votes, it looks like we're going to be playing as the Imperial Guard--

Pffffffffffffft! Bwahahahahaaaa! I can't keep it up any longer! It's a prank! A prank! Oh, Ethereal save me, what a hilarious prank! It was hilarious, wasn't it, Shas'uis?
It was hilarious, Shas'o!
Hello, I'm Shas'o Kais, the Commander of the Tau forces on Kronus. There was never any choice, this LP was always going to be the Tau rescuing our beloved colony from the clutches of fanatical alien scum. Hahaha, what game did you think we were playing? "Democratic-Vote-Hammer 40k?" Haha, filthy Gue'la. Now that most of you have outed yourselves as supporters of the vile forces that are invading Kronus, you shall all be quarantined, sterilized, and re-educated. Oh, don't worry, it's for the Greater Good. See, we don't want to kill you, merely ensure you'll never pass on your traitorous genetics while simultaneously showing you the irrefutable rightness of the Greater Good--it's a win-win solution! More on that in a moment, let's celebrate the fact that we shall be leading the Tau Empire into victory:

The rise of the Necron and the arrival of the other powers on Kronus was a threat the Tau Empire could not ignore.
Oh, shhh! It's starting.

With their doctrine built firmly around the so-called Greater Good, the Tau could not tolerate seeing a thriving colony taken away from them.
I take issue with their use of "so-called", but as you can see, the Tau Empire are clearly the good guys. Great intro, huh?

The Ethereals, leaders of the empire, responded to the distress signals from Kronus by sending some of their best and brightest to retake the world.

Aun'el Shi'ores was among the most lauded of a new generation of Ethereal caste; he would be responsible for restoring proper order to this wayward world.

With him came the military leader Shas'o Kais.
Oh, haha, that's me!
A student of the teachings of Commander Puretide, O'Kais brought a massive force of Fire Caste warriors as well as auxiliaries from the Tau's allied races, the Kroot and Vespid.

Tau ground forces landed in the city of Tash'n (or Asharis to use its true Imperial name) and from there began the crusade to retake the planet as a whole.

Ah, good stuff. Alright, all you filthy Gue'la sympathetic to the invaders, off you go to boot camp! Shas'el Shovah will give you a basic run down on the structures and units currently at our disposal here on Kronus. Once you've been re-educated to better appreciate the Greater Good, you may come back to work on my council.
With me, Gue'la, let's get you trained up!
Actually, if any of the rest of you want a review on Tau units and structures, it'd probably be a good idea to go off with El'Shovah, as well. He's a good guy, he'll sort you out. Now, the rest of you Gue'vesa who showed your true dedication to the Tau Empire may come directly with me to the war council room to help plan our first move. You, Shas'la, who are the Gue'vesa who proved themselves to be honourable and trustworthy?
Let's see, that would be:
  • Black Balloon
  • Agent Interrobang
  • habituallyred
  • Jobbo_Fett
  • Godna
  • sullat
  • JamieTheD
  • and, Kaboom Dragoon
Alright, you group get to decide our opening move. Let's take a look at our war map:

This is Kronus. We currently hold the city of Tash'n, but that's it. Every other force have had a chance to better entrench themselves. To the north of us are the Eldar and Space Marines. Directly east, and perhaps the greatest threat, are the Necron. South of us are the Ork Hordes. The only positive thing about being surrounded by the Necron and the Orkz are that they're acting as buffers to the Imperial Guard and Chaos Legions.
Shas'O is right. Now, as we are limited to ground movements, we can only attack provinces directly next to ours. A wall to the west of Tash'n protects us from the Eldar, but it also means we cannot advance directly west. The numbers on each province indicate their strength. The higher the number, the more dangerous and difficult the battle will be. We have not liberated any forces, so we cannot send Shas'O into combat with any wargear or honour guards--we'll get more into those when we can liberate them.
As my war council, you, the thread, are going to choose which province we attack, and how. As for actual tactics on the ground, they will be left up to my own discretion, but the decision to play defensively, or aggressively, or with swarms of vehicles, or on either the path of Mont'ka or Kauyon, will be left to you. This is the Hardest difficulty, so your decision can either make my life easier or more difficult. Make informed decisions or I'll send you back for re-education. Oh, and don't forget that pausing for a round is a legitimate strategy. It allows us to track our enemies' movements and build up more requisition for later use.
The three provinces currently open to us right now are as follows:

The Panrea Lowlands are held by the Space Marines and might provide a moderate challenge with our current limited resources.

The Western Barrens are held by the Necron, and they are fairly well entrenched. They only have a single base, but it still might be a vain effort to retake it at this point in time.

The Agamar Desert is technically held by the Orkz, but they've left it so poorly guarded that O'Kais could waltz in there on his own and retake it.

My advisers can only advise you. Ultimate decisions are left up to the thread. Everyone will be able to offer suggestions after this first move, but in honour of the Gue'vesa who proved to be truly loyal to the Tau Empire, I'm going to allow them to decide on our very first action.

Sally fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 16, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am a-okay with the Taus. Go plasma and railgun everything into oblivion.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Bwaha, figured this would be the case considering you're playing on Hard Mode and not everything was made equal here.

(Baneblades > Hammerheads though.)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

EponymousMrYar posted:

(Baneblades > Hammerheads though.)

*gasps*

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I knew it! I knew something wasn't right!

Oh no, oh no, it's like that time they sent me to the canadian army, except it's Exactly the Same.

I still never that gold.

So, in space canada do we still get free communist healthcare?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Pffffffffffffft! Bwahahahahaaaa! I can't keep it up any longer! It's a prank! A prank!

:perfect:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Let us strike at the Lowlands first. The desert is, and always was, worthless. The Necrons have already killed anyone in their territory. By taking out the marines we can apparently free up stealth troops for future use. As for tactics use the Mont'ka system for now.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Well, sirs, there I was, just whistling a happy tune, trying to convert everyone I met to the Greater Good, just like every good Firewarrior should, when I saw these weird green noisy guys. I thought to myself, hey, they're green, we're yellow, dude, we could totally get some great colourscheme stuff going on here! So I walk over, introduce myself, make a little small talk like, hey, how's the weather on this terrible rock, don't you just hate it when your shield Kor’vesa tries to dryhump the leg of a Broadside suit and you get written up for it, I mean isn't it the worst! And once the blank stares settle down, I bring up the Greater Good and how cool it is and how everyone's talking about it.

Naturally, only the lamest of the lame wouldn't want to be a part of it. So, how did they respond?

I can't lie to you, sirs. It... did not go well.

*drone playback begins*

*drone playback ends*

Astonishing! That a race could be so stupid and not die swallowing their own skulls!

My thoughts exactly, sirs. So, if I may be so bold, I would recommend that we take steps to cut the green guys' stupidity off before it spreads.

We shall take it under advisement, Shas'ui Ka'buum. In the meantime, could you get your drone under control, it's peeing on the carpets again.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-9XSiNfgk0

gently caress yo Tau.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

habituallyred posted:

Let us strike at the Lowlands first. The desert is, and always was, worthless. The Necrons have already killed anyone in their territory. By taking out the marines we can apparently free up stealth troops for future use. As for tactics use the Mont'ka system for now.

I agree with Brother Habituallyred. The desert is of little tactical significance, and the greenskins are currently of no threat. We shall strike them down if we must, for they do not subscribe to the Greater Good, but for now, they are contained. The Necron are currently a losing proposition, while the gene-troops of the Emperor are both hostile and in a tactical position worth taking. I say we strike hard, and strike fast.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

HERESY

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I am a-okay with the Taus. Go plasma and railgun everything into oblivion.

You know what? If we're going to throw in with the filthy Xenos, in defiance of all that humanity stands for, I think we could have done a lot worse.

Just one question for our new benevolent and wise overlords. Would it be alright with the mission commander if I had a small, very tasteful shrine set up? You know, for the Greater Good and the like. It would make the lads much more comfortable with the whole new management thing.

Anyway, as I have always been loyal to the Tau, I vote for killing some Necrons. We can stomp the Orks once we don't have undead robots aimed right at our vulnerable blue necks.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

habituallyred posted:

Yup, exactly this. What we've got here is a choice between setting ourselves in a position to deal with one of two pairs of dudes first; the Orks+Necron, or the Eldar+Space Marines. And frankly the most painful match of this that I ever had to play was against a really entrenched Eldar area. So let's just nip that in the bud.

Edit: What's with these Gue'la voting? I would move that they be sent to the Path to Enlightenment and re-educated. We must all do our part for the Greater Good.

Black Balloon fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 16, 2015

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Bah, filthy, dumb Xenos scum
If we must, hit the Lowlands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous