Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Imperial Guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
For the greater good we shall procede as Tau shall.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Orks I think. Gotta love those mad green buggers.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Counterpoint - while Imperial Guard and Tau may both have amazing tanks. The Eldar Fire Prism (and D-Cannon turret) were never underpowered ever during the whole series.

That said: Orkz Orkz Orkz

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Veloxyll posted:

Counterpoint - while Imperial Guard and Tau may both have amazing tanks. The Eldar Fire Prism (and D-Cannon turret) were never underpowered ever during the whole series.

Yeah well it was called "Dawn of Eldar" for a number of derogatory reasons.

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dawn_of_Eldar

All of them lovingly detailed here. gently caress the Eldar.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I'd like to see the Tau in action. Comrade.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

Dark Crusade was balanced around Tau VS Necrons with the other races being a second thought. Somehow despite this Eldar remained competitive while everyone else had a hard time against Necrons and Tau.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Onmi posted:

Yeah well it was called "Dawn of Eldar" for a number of derogatory reasons.

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dawn_of_Eldar

All of them lovingly detailed here. gently caress the Eldar.

Yeah, Eldar being the 'speedy, stealthy' faction is utter bullshit. Pretty much every one of their units is broken to some degree.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Imperial Guard.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
From what I gather, "gently caress the Eldar" is the general sentiment of any DoW game. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
I'm going to put my vote for da ORKZ.

But I do want to note something about the Imperial Guard. Yes, their infantry is pretty weak out the door, and you do need to invest a lot in upgrades. But with those upgrades and attached leaders, the Guardsmen can be downright dangerous. (I still remember when the game balance was just out of whack on the launch of Winter Assault; those bayonets must have been adamantium before the Administorum realized its error) The Guard really shines with its tanks and artillery, though.

That being said. Still. ORKZ.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Orkz

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Thank mr. Necrontal

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Orkz, MORE DAKKA!!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Actually I'm changing my vote to the Imperial Guard and updating my original post.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
We're still voting? Astra Militarum. What, no one buys the new name? Guard it is, then. gently caress the orks, humies are the true dead 'ard race of the galaxy.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Imperial Guard - Flashlights and Flakjackets!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Votes so far:

Space Marines: i
Imperial Guard: iiiii iiiii iiiii ii
Orks: iiiii iiiii iiiii i
Chaos: ii
Tau: iiiii i
Eldar: i
Necron: iiii

Looks like it's going to be a race between Orks and the Imperial Guard.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea who to vote for until I noticed that the Eldar insignia kind of looks like an Egyptian hieroglyph to me, so they get my vote.

But hey, whoever wins may the planet run red with the blood of their enemies! :black101:

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Orks

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
Imperial Guard
Pew pew pew laserguns!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Hopefully Blind Sally shows off how easy it is cheese the normal maps in the game. In case he doesn't...

So long as you keep winning missions on maps you control, buildings that you created persist between matches. This means that the "best" way to finish at least your first time in a map is not to wipe out the enemy once you have him beat, but to destroy everything but his HQ and then starve him of resources while destroying anything the AI tries to make. Meanwhile you build everything you possibly can, including additional HQ buildings so that you have multiple bases. This ensures that the next time you fight on that map, you have a massive headstart. It's also tedious as hell, but the AI does not gently caress around in this game and you really do need all the help you can get.

That all said, playing as Necrons makes the game way easier (because you don't have to fight them), so I'm voting for Orks because I want Sally to suffer.

I really want to talk about the commander units, and specifically about how easy it is for the game to gently caress you out of getting their last upgrade, but I'll wait until Sally introduces the mechanic, at least.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
I'm gonna have to vote Tau. Got a soft spot for the space commies, and their ridiculous, ridiculous craft. :D

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Imperial Guard

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

That all said, playing as Necrons makes the game way easier (because you don't have to fight them), so I'm voting for Orks because I want Sally to suffer.
The Tau and Eldar strongholds are loving nightmares, Necrons got nothing on that. The base crawl is great in theory but the game can and will remove buildings you got placed on the map so it's very rarely worth it. My main problem with the RTS part is that it's just skirmishes, which means multiplayer metagame, which means rushing and half the units beng useless.

RickVoid posted:

I really want to talk about the commander units, and specifically about how easy it is for the game to gently caress you out of getting their last upgrade, but I'll wait until Sally introduces the mechanic, at least.
Oh god yes. This is why I stopped playing Chaos in this game.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

anilEhilated posted:

Eliphas is the best faction leader though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

Completely aside from the fact that the final Chaos commander upgrade is a net downgrade in terms of performance.

The Tau stronghold is easily my least favorite part of Dark Crusade. Their initial rush is everything but the kitchen sink, then they continue to attack harder and more often than any other stronghold in addition to the Tau being overpowered to begin with.

Unless you're Imperial Guard, of course. :zaeed:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Imperial Guard. I think them and Eldar are the only races I didn't play this game with.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

The Tau and Eldar strongholds are loving nightmares, Necrons got nothing on that. The base crawl is great in theory but the game can and will remove buildings you got placed on the map so it's very rarely worth it. My main problem with the RTS part is that it's just skirmishes, which means multiplayer metagame, which means rushing and half the units beng useless.

All of this is true, though if you do most of your building just in the area you get assigned the first time you enter the map you don't have to worry about it removing your buildings. And once you know which locations the game uses to place enemy bases you can keep the game from overwriting your base by... not building there. I'm pretty sure the game doesn't randomly pick a starting location for the enemy, it's the same every time (with additional bases depending on army size).

All of the Stronghold missions are awful.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Completely aside from the fact that the final Chaos commander upgrade is a net downgrade in terms of performance.
Is it? I've soloed maps with that thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

Is it? I've soloed maps with that thing.

It's powerful, yeah, but it actually does less damage and I think has less health than the Chaos lord with every upgrade but that.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
Voting for the Imperial Guard because with them victory is assured!

Gidoran
Oct 22, 2013
Voting for Imperial Guard because otherwise the Commissar will execute me.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Let's teach them it's not easy being green. Orkz!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Holy poo poo, these are incredible!

Also, vote is currently standing at:

I'll have some time for the first update later today. Unless something changes w/r/t voting, it looks like we're gonna roll as the Imp Guard!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

Holy poo poo, these are incredible!

I'll have some time for the first update later today. Unless something changes w/r/t voting, it looks like we're gonna roll as the Imp Guard!
There are tons of videos like that, everything from Bold Brathas and Caramel Dancing to more normal things like Manowar and Heidevolk.

Meh. The Imperial Guard is my least favorite human faction but at least they're still better than any of the xeno scum. Except for the orkz, orkz are amazin'.

Lazy Gun
Apr 7, 2009
Fun Shoe
Imperial Guard

Only in death does duty end.

Lots and lots of death.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Suprised Chaos isnt getting more votes. I was under the impression everyone was a fan of the factions commander since he was so popular they brought him back to life for dawn of war 2.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 15, 2015

Emprah
Feb 1, 2014
Why the Imperial Guard of course!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Join the Guard, they said. See the Universe, they said.

• Locked thread