Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should an adaptation be made?
Yes.
No.
Epsilons > Proles.
gently caress off OP.
View Results

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Immortan posted:

Specifically, in today's polarizing political climate? (Yes I'm aware of this disaster.)

That movie is actually fantastic though? What problems with it could you possible have? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

computer parts posted:

They should make a 1984 movie but it should include my pet theory that Britain is really a North Korea analogue and the rest of the world is just fine.

Isn't that a popular theory about the novel? It certainly strikes one as eminently possible right in the plain text. Literally nobody that we know of ever actually interacts with the two other countries.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Double based on the Doestoevsky story is also in the same 1984/Brazil mashup area and is really good. The guy from The Social Network is great in it.

The classic Orson Welles adaptation of The Trial is good too.

So is this now the "dystopian movie" thread because cool, cool.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Actually if someone tried to make a 1984 movie now it would probably be someone like David Fincher, it would be so true to the source material that it stops halfway through and becomes an audiobook, and would win multiple Academy Awards.

Christian Bale stars as Winston Smith, having starved himself back down to The Machinist levels.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

rear end Catchcum posted:

1984 is going on right outside your window, at least, if you live here in America.

I'd say we're more in Scanner Darkly territory at the moment to be honest.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Equilibrium is a good movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

phasmid posted:

By the way, Equilibrium was a childish rebuke of 1984.

Equilibrium was made by a guy who thought gunkata was a real and cool thing. Of course it's childish. That doesn't diminish its quality. It's a goofy, good movie with some interesting art design.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cyberpunk fiction doesn't posit that Snowden leaks won't happen; things like Snowden leaks are what the genre thrives on (people defecting information from one place to a higher bidder). Best example being New Rose Hotel (the short story or the film, take your pick, they both own).

edit: basically the fact that information is power and can never be controlled is the central thesis of cyberpunk, to the point where William Gibson has a recent novel about people hiding secret documents in the fabric weave of designer jeans

precision fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 18, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A much better novel against idle hedonism is The Joy Makers which spells out exactly the terrible consequences that come from the good intentions of hedonics.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What's up with the anti-sex league members dressing all sexy, huh?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

Also, I don't know how anyone can call Equilibrium "a good movie" unless the last time you saw it was in 2002 and/or when you were 15.

It's extremely goofy but I stand by my statement.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

KidVanguard posted:

I actually wish that 1984 wasn't taught in schools

I was required to read it in loving 8th grade because I was in the "advanced" or whatever English class.

Do you know how depressing that poo poo is when you're 12? Christ.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah, you had an extremely loving awful english class if they did not provide basic context for the books

My 8th grade english teacher is the first person I heard say "death of the author".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I re-read 1984 very recently and I would say that most of the people in that society are very accepting of the situation. I thought that was part of the point, that these people had been stomped on so hard that there weren't even a bunch of people who would rebel if given the chance; for most of them, the concept of rebelling is literally unthinkable.

The only thing that's a bit odd is that nobody notices the proles actually have a lot of fun and there don't appear to be any people who leave their job and "become" proles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Terry Pratchett deserves a posthumous Nobel Prize. The man really knew how to phrase simple yet profound truths.

• Locked thread