Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Hi,

this whole issue is readable on archive.org and i think it's really cool

its a top games of all time list from before 1998, and it was also written after mario 64 came out in japan but before it was out in the us

https://archive.org/details/nextgen-issue-021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm going to read all of this. Right now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

64 Zelda (series)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

61 Ikari Warriors

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

7 Street Fighter 2

6 Virtua Fighter 2

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

7 Street Fighter 2

6 Virtua Fighter 2

what the

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

5 Mario (series)

3 Super Bomberman 2

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's cute, it's little, it's Super Bomberman 2. It is, without a doubt, the finest multiplayer game yet.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The ad for Super Mario RPG following the article is so much better than the article.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I mean seriously, Ikari Warriors but no Ikari Warriors 2: Victory Road? Come on, let's fight!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The year is 1996. The advertisement is for a DEVO video game based on the song Smart Patrol / Mr. DNA from their fairly unsuccessful second album.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Konami promises you creative freedom if you work for them.

Squaresoft promises that you'll kick the asses of everyone who bullied you as a child.

One of these companies still makes games today.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A pissed-off Kirby crammed into a s'more, bursting out of the magazine to inform you that you can "chow down on a ninja" and imply that Kirby Superstar introduced Kirby's ability to absorb enemy powers.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Multiple previews quoted in this Bubsy 3D ad refer to it as the "new standard" in platforming.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's cute, it's little, it's Super Bomberman 2. It is, without a doubt, the finest multiplayer game yet.

I played that game so much with my friends... SNES feels.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pre-order Crash Bandicoot and receive a "free alternative music CD."

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Multiple previews quoted in this Bubsy 3D ad refer to it as the "new standard" in platforming.

its before mario 64 was out

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i like that snake is on the list

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Knowledge of what 11 Sony Music groups were on the alternative music CD has been lost to time.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
snake should be higher than #41 imho

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

what brain damaged game magazine writer thought that lemmings was the 8th greatest game of all time?

Soral
May 30, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A pretty brilliant ad for Ultima VI in the first issue of NEXT Generation inviting players to "repel the demon horde" and shows the Avatar fighting a gargoyle.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Article title: "Why are Shigeru Miyamoto's games so drat good?" This is the most Imp Zone magazine.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pre-order Crash Bandicoot and receive a "free alternative music CD."

Lmao.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Article title: "Why are Shigeru Miyamoto's games so drat good?" This is the most Imp Zone magazine.
Also it's an interview with Miyamoto.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"I do not know if it is pride that I feel toward the character Donkey Kong, but I cherish Donkey Kong as much as I do Mario."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for the adult who still has the character of a child."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"I think Sonic has more to do with corporate identity than anything else. I also think Sonic the Hedgehog is a very good game, very beautiful. ... Of course, Mario is superior to Sonic in terms of the creative elements included in the game."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[on Earthworm Jim] "I liked the specific expression of him firing a gun. That particular expression is the one that I was thinking about incorporating in my own game; such expressions of a gun shooting - without actually displaying the flying bullets - could be exhilarating to the player."

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

"I think Sonic has more to do with corporate identity than anything else. I also think Sonic the Hedgehog is a very good game, very beautiful. ... Of course, Mario is superior to Sonic in terms of the creative elements included in the game."

Oh snap.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

zen-like smack tAlk

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna play some EWJ after work

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

An advertisement for a Peter Molyneux game called "Magic Carpet" that spends the entire four-page spread talking poo poo about Doom. "Doom gives you the BFG9000. They should've called it the 'B.F.D.' Magic Carpet gives you a lot of wicked spells. (24, for people who like numbers)."

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

An advertisement for a Peter Molyneux game called "Magic Carpet" that spends the entire four-page spread talking poo poo about Doom. "Doom gives you the BFG9000. They should've called it the 'B.F.D.' Magic Carpet gives you a lot of wicked spells. (24, for people who like numbers)."

THis dude should have been put in prison roughly around this time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

President of Sega: "Nintendo did a good job - and I must give it credit - on Donkey Kong Country, and the company did a great marketing job. But even with that, we will outsell them on both hardware and software this year. It did have one good game though."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

He also says that releasing another cartridge-based console is so stupid it might be subterfuge, and that the Ultra 64 might be secretly CD-based.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

He also says that releasing another cartridge-based console is so stupid it might be subterfuge, and that the Ultra 64 might be secretly CD-based.

oh man oh boy oh man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They refer to Super Bomberman 2 as "the best multiplayer game of all time" in multiple issues.