Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

Grundulum posted:

New faction this weekend: The Warrens, which uses yellow and green troops. I don’t think there is a need for early vs late teams with this one. The following team is doing quite nicely to level 80, and should carry me as far as I want to go.

Blackhawk banner
Titan/Mang
Apothecary
Wrath
The Possessed King/Queen Aurora (basically anything that can act in a support role)

As an alternative, I've been using:

Silverglade Banner
Titan/Rope Dart
Stormsinger
Diviner
High King Irongut

and I kind of love it (120 so far but scales well with both enemy stats and hoard level). Apothecary is another great option for gem converter with a banner change. Bless is the worst though. No entangle, no devour, just terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
If the kind folks of Gem Blossums could see their way to destroying 4 more towers in this week's Invasion, we could pick up the level 3 rewards... I seem to have hit my limit at stage 5.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Just got keeper of souls. Is it a good one to try to level up and trait out? If so any good teams with it?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Piggy Smalls posted:

Just got keeper of souls. Is it a good one to try to level up and trait out? If so any good teams with it?

The trait for Bonus Souls is good for a soul farming team for doing Explores.

His ability isn’t amazing for clearing chaff - The Dragon Soul is best for that, but I wouldn’t be unhappy pulling him.

He’s definitely not a core troop for PvP or PvE worth trying to build a team around

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
As someone still pretty early in the game, I'm finding the Mountain Crusher / Apothecary / Goblin Rocket / Keeper of Souls team that someone suggested carries me through many fights that my other teams can't touch, including all three dungeons if I'm lucky.

So if you don't have a ton of legendary troops yet I wouldn't pass up KoS.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Maugrim posted:

If the kind folks of Gem Blossums could see their way to destroying 4 more towers in this week's Invasion, we could pick up the level 3 rewards... I seem to have hit my limit at stage 5.

Sure I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: Yay we got Stage 3 rewards.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 31, 2018

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Annointed posted:

Sure I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: Yay we got Stage 3 rewards.

Yeah I pushed myself a bit. gently caress using a Stryx team ever again.

I will say though that Invasion/Bounty Hunter/class events are particularly difficult to participate in even as someone who's been playing for 6 months. There's just too drat many different troop types to try and keep a leveled/traited team, so I usually don't even bother trying for them. Most of Gem Blossums is probably the same. With the delves (and doom tower?) at least it's by color and there's only so many of those (although I still haven't bothered with those either :v:)

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Manyorcas posted:

Yeah I pushed myself a bit. gently caress using a Stryx team ever again.

I will say though that Invasion/Bounty Hunter/class events are particularly difficult to participate in even as someone who's been playing for 6 months. There's just too drat many different troop types to try and keep a leveled/traited team, so I usually don't even bother trying for them. Most of Gem Blossums is probably the same. With the delves (and doom tower?) at least it's by color and there's only so many of those (although I still haven't bothered with those either :v:)

To be honest delves kind of suck. It's so long and chances are you might end up with chaos shards instead of legendary and mythic ingots.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I guess my attitude as a new player is I don't mind part-levelling and part-traiting a few troops for each event to push as far as I can - it's an opportunity to try out something I wouldn't normally, it gives progress towards levelling kingdom power, and increases my tiny pool of powered troops ready to include in whatever future events come up.

But yeah I can see it being an unwanted distraction if you already have a dozen legendaries you're trying to level/trait up.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Currently tearing through the tower with:

Horned Banner (Wild Plains)
Gargoyle
Infernus
Yao Guai
Ogryn

All fully traited. Only on floor 3 but I have a feeling this team is gonna melt a lot of face before I have to start paying attention.

Night Danger Moose fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 31, 2018

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Week of 12/31 - Purple/Red (Dark) Arcane Traitstone - 1 stone for 300 Glory. This week also has a bounty event and a new mythic for Suncrest. Time to use your orbs of clan once you reach 1500 seals.

Notable Troops:

Queen Titania (Legendary) - There are a few teams that rely on generating and using large amounts of red gems and mana. Queen Titania is used for the random faerie fire.
Sekhma (Legendary) - Dual converter boosted by are ally's magic, and gains magic on red matches. Can have high damage when paired with summoners, especially paired with the dual convert.
The Dragon Soul (Legendary) - Still one of the most popular troops in the game. Generates souls, deals ok damage to all troops. Will be the basis of your soul farming team for a long time.
Sunbird (Epic) - Useful for clearing explores very quickly, since a high level sunbird can wipe out most explore teams in one cast. If anything lives, a second cast or a skull match will usually finish the fight.
Wisp (Epic) - This thing is really irritating. Two wisps can lock the board down and charm can deal surprising damage if it overlaps.

Honorable Mentions:

Umberwolf (Legendary) - The whole Bat Swarm/Nosferatu/Umberwolf triad is really weird, but it can work. Transform is a full heal, but you lose any enhanced stats from traits and spells. You really need all three full ascended and traited to make it work.
Rock Troll (Epic) - Tanky troll.
Skeleros (Epic) - Spell is like a troll for skulls. It is too likely to leave a board full of 4 and 5 skull matches for the AI to use.
Runesmith (Ultra-Rare) - Buffs attack and armor, useful on dwarf teams, especially paired with Lady Ironbeard.
Summoner (Rare) - Heals and summons, making a useful stall troop. Orcs have a gimmick where they gain stats when they take damage. Combine with Summoner's healing and this can be very frustrating.

Other Legendaries:
Carnex - Seems like it should be useful, but pairing a trait that enhances skull damage with a spell that eats skulls doesn't work well.
Medea - There just aren't enough synergistic mystics to give Medea a chance to shine.

The mythics that use Dark traitstones are:
Death - Death mark all enemies can be completely useless. Or it kills half your team the second turn. Chip damage that buffs his spell damage.
Zuul'Goth - Oh Zuuly, you nut.
Suna - Nukes the weakest enemies, weakens the strongest enemies, random faerie fires. Very similar to Queen Titania, just better.
Infernus - Still amazing.
Elemaugrim - Can replace The Dragon Soul on dragon teams without interfering much. Its third trait can completely lockdown a poorly balanced team.
Gargantuar - The mythic orc. The spell can be deadly if a battle goes on for a long time and both sides have summoners or healers. One of the least useful mythics.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Tower so far for Gem Blossums if anyone is interested:

Floor 1
Rare - Unlock
Ultra Rare - Life
Epic - Life
Legendary - Armor

Floor 2
Rare - Unlock
Ultra Rare - Life
Epic - Attack
Legendary - Armor

Floor 3
Rare - Fireball
Ultra Rare - Unlock
Epic - Life
Legendary - Armor

Floor 4
Rare - Armor
Ultra Rare - Life
Epic - Unlock
Legendary - Life

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 2, 2019

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'll start the Gem Boiz room list I guess!

Floor 1
Rare - Life
Ultra Rare - Unlock
Epic - Life
Legendary - Life

Floor 2
Rare - Armor
Ultra Rare - Magic
Epic - Life
Legendary - Unlock

Floor 3
Rare - Unlock
Ultra Rare - Magic
Epic - Haste
Legendary - Haste

Floor 4
Rare - Magic
Ultra Rare - Life
Epic - Unlock
Legendary - Power

Floor 5
Rare - Armor
Ultra Rare - Life
Epic - Armor
Legendary - Unlock

Floor 6
Rare - Attack
Ultra Rare - Unlock
Epic - Fireball
Legendary - Life

Floor 7
Rare - Attack
Ultra Rare - Unlock
Epic - Life
Legendary - Luck

Bandire fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 1, 2019

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
FYI, I am writing a new OP. It’ll have a bunch of information from my effortposts in it. I don’t want to be the one who posts it, though. The new year is bringing a lot of changes to my non-GoW life, and I can’t guarantee how long I’ll be around to curate a new thread as GoW evolves.

Here is the list of main topics, for which I will attempt to make hideous graphics that would do well on a GeoCities page. After each item is a list in parentheses of subtopics. What should I change about this skeleton?
  • What is Gems of War?
  • I’m new. What do I do?
  • GoW Resources for Dummies (Troops; Gold; Souls; Glory; Traitstones; Keys; Gems)
  • Game mode explanations 1: single player content (PVE: story mode, challenges, and explore; PVP; Treasure Hunt; Arena; Dungeons; Delves)
  • Game mode explanations 2: guild-based content (Guild Wars; Raids; Invasions; Tower of Doom)
  • Odds and ends (Team building guide; Buying stuff with real money; Legendary/mythic tiers; Pets and pet rescues; The Vault; The Soul Forge; Bounty events; Delve team suggestions; GW team suggestions; Orbs (what are they good for?); Outside resources)

I can find my own effortposts pretty easily, since there are (only?) 27 pages of my posts to sift through. If other players wrote extended descriptions they don’t mind me plagiarizing paraphrasing, now would be a great time to go through your own post history and find them for me.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
Floor 8
Rare - Fireball
Ultra Rare - Unlock
Epic - Life
Legendary - Life

Floor 9
Rare - Armor
Ultra Rare - Power
Epic - Unlock
Legendary - Life

Floor 10
Rare - Unlock
Ultra Rare - Life
Epic - Attack
Legendary - Armor

Enkor fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 2, 2019

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Grundulum posted:

FYI, I am writing a new OP. It’ll have a bunch of information from my effortposts in it. I don’t want to be the one who posts it, though. The new year is bringing a lot of changes to my non-GoW life, and I can’t guarantee how long I’ll be around to curate a new thread as GoW evolves.

Here is the list of main topics, for which I will attempt to make hideous graphics that would do well on a GeoCities page. After each item is a list in parentheses of subtopics. What should I change about this skeleton?
  • What is Gems of War?
  • I’m new. What do I do?
  • GoW Resources for Dummies (Troops; Gold; Souls; Glory; Traitstones; Keys; Gems)
  • Game mode explanations 1: single player content (PVE: story mode, challenges, and explore; PVP; Treasure Hunt; Arena; Dungeons; Delves)
  • Game mode explanations 2: guild-based content (Guild Wars; Raids; Invasions; Tower of Doom)
  • Odds and ends (Team building guide; Buying stuff with real money; Legendary/mythic tiers; Pets and pet rescues; The Vault; The Soul Forge; Bounty events; Delve team suggestions; GW team suggestions; Orbs (what are they good for?); Outside resources)

I can find my own effortposts pretty easily, since there are (only?) 27 pages of my posts to sift through. If other players wrote extended descriptions they don’t mind me plagiarizing paraphrasing, now would be a great time to go through your own post history and find them for me.

I've asked some beginner questions and answered some beginner questions in not a lot of pretty recent posts. Check my history!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Really looking forward to the new OP and having all that great up to date info in one spot.

I'd volunteer to post them but I haven't been playing long enough to know if I'm in this for the long term. Like you I have a ton of real life commitments and won't be able to keep up my current daily hours forever. Hopefully someone else is willing to step up...

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Grundulum posted:

FYI, I am writing a new OP.

Manyorcas posted:

I'd like to take a moment to explain exactly how kingdom levels/tribute/etc. work and why new players should put their gold there, since it's never really adequately explained in-game and it was never really explained in any one place online very well.

When you buy a new kingdom for 5k, unlocking quests and such for it, you buy it at kingdom level 1 and it comes with a small base +gold income per hour. The real source of gold (and some extra glory and souls) though is kingdom tributes, and it's tied directly to kingdom level.

Every time you load up the game and grab your passive income from the gold coins on the map, you roll every kingdom's tribute chance, and each kingdom's tribute chance is determined by it's kingdom level, starting at 1% at kingdom level 1 and maxing out at 10% for kingdom level 10. Given that there's ~34 kingdoms right now, once you unlock all of them and level them a bit you're going to be getting several tributes every time you roll for tributes. Kingdom level gets significantly more expensive after level 5, so getting all your kingdoms to 5 after you unlock them will pay back the gold invested very efficiently.

Note that you can grab your passive income and roll for tribute every hour, and in a mobile gaming addictive kind of way that means you make significantly more gold if you open the game as many times as possible over the course of the day. It's addictive bullshit designed to get you to think about the game as much as possible and keep you playing. :shrug:

The other important thing kingdom power does though is grants ALL troops a permanent stat boost every time you get a kingdom to level 10. You can see which stat each kingdom increases on the "Kingdom Level" tab. It can be one of Attack, Armor, Health, and Magic, and Magic is by FAR the most powerful of the stats and you should get the kingdoms that boost magic to 10 ASAP to significantly increase your troops' power.

Since the magic stat itself isn't explained in-game very well: any time you see a purple number on a troops' spell, every point of magic increases that number by one. Getting a passive +5 on all those spells from having all 5 magic kingdoms maxed is a huge deal.

There's also another kingdom stat called "Kingdom Power" but increasing that is a much longer term project, and working on it will eventually increase your tribute chance, quantity of stuff in tribute, and passive income, but anything beyond Kingdom Power level 2 is fairly difficult to get as a new player. Worry about it after you buy Kingdom levels.

From my experience the best way to get gold is PvP, and since the game does a fairly good job of finding appropriately challenging teams to fight you can start pvping very soon. The Dragon armor that costs 500 gems on the hero screen is also super important to making money, make that the first thing you buy with gems.

I've only been playing for ~2 months so feel free to correct me if I messed anything up here.

Edit: Forgot to mention each kingdom costs ~120,000 gold to get to level 10, so it's takes a fairly long time to level every single kingdom to 10. You can probably start contributing some gold to guild tasks once you get a few of the magic kingdoms to 10 and all the others to at least 5.

Here's my post on gold/kingdoms from way back when. You've probably already written all this at some point in your post history anyway before I even started playing but just in case.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
My current "best" team for hard fights is:

Titan (rank 17) / Mountain Crusher (unlevelled because I've never got a gold ingot ever)
Apothecary ***
Goblin Rocket **
Keeper of Souls (No traits)

This helps a lot with harder fights than I can manage with my soul-generating PvE team, but I'm still hitting my limit earlier than I'd like - I can rarely do the second dungeon let alone the third, for example, and can't get past the 3rd fight in pet rescues.

Actually I've had more success with Archer main for this team, but I'm trying to level Titan since it seems to be so popular generally.

Are there any other good combos I can try? I have Alchemist but not Hellcat. I've recently acquired Winter Imp and Dark Monolith. Link to my collection:

http://gowdb.com/collection/9bc0477d5ff6c55aac99328bc14ddf30

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Maugrim posted:

Titan (rank 17) / Mountain Crusher (unlevelled because I've never got a gold ingot ever)

Just a note with this, you can craft all ingots in the soul forge. It costs 10 of the previous ingot to make 1, but it helps if they refuse to drop for you.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Night Danger Moose posted:

Just a note with this, you can craft all ingots in the soul forge. It costs 10 of the previous ingot to make 1, but it helps if they refuse to drop for you.

Duly noted, thanks!

*goes to look up how to unlock the soul forge*

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
Delve chests are the reason I'm swimming in legendary/mythic ingots.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
What are the rooms past 10? And does anyone have a sweet team they are using? I feel like there must be a discord that the I’m missing out on.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Haven’t had a chance to do any ToD-ing yet, but here’s the team I intend to use:

Blackhawk banner
Mountain Crusher
Valkyrie
Tesla
Something else

The something else will be a support troop, since Tesla will be my primary damage dealer. Something that uses blue mana also is ideal, to catch the overflow from Valk’s casts. Jotnar or Megavore are my first choices for that slot, for different reasons. Jotnar will be more defensive (though his spell could be extremely useful to pick off troops and make Tesla more effective), while Megavore is more offensive (albeit completely useless in the boss rooms, since Dooms are immune to his trait).

Edit: Maugrim, the next OP has a special section on the Soul Forge for just that reason. :v:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Night Danger Moose posted:

Currently tearing through the tower with:

Gargoyle
Infernus
Yao Guai
Ogryn

All fully traited. Only on floor 3 but I have a feeling this team is gonna melt a lot of face before I have to start paying attention.

Floor 13 now, clearing every room. Zero losses yet. This team is pretty legit.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
Is there a trick to the pet battles? I can never get past #2 the guys are just insanely bigger than mine.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

porktree posted:

What are the rooms past 10? And does anyone have a sweet team they are using? I feel like there must be a discord that the I’m missing out on.

I'm using
Rope Dart / Titan
Divinia
Yao Guai
Alchemist
with meteor banner.

It's pretty good so far, rope dart + yao guai is 2-shotting enemies and that won't last. I don't have the troops traited yet so maybe scrounging up some traitstones will help with floors 11+. And I think a lot of people are waiting for explorers; scout a couple floors and report!

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Enkor posted:

I'm using
Rope Dart / Titan
Divinia
Yao Guai
Alchemist
with meteor banner.

It's pretty good so far, rope dart + yao guai is 2-shotting enemies and that won't last. I don't have the troops traited yet so maybe scrounging up some traitstones will help with floors 11+. And I think a lot of people are waiting for explorers; scout a couple floors and report!

Interesting - I've been using Night Danger Moose's

Gargoyle
Infernus
Yao Guai
Ogryn

With full success (Room 10) - but I felt like the Room 10 boss was pushing it a little.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I've been using

Mountain Crusher Titan
Tesla
Dark Maiden
Jotnar

Similar to what Grundulum is running, but Dark Maiden covers green and gives hero life rather than souls as the secondary effect. Her color conversion is a little more flexible too.

Are we able to give more than one individual edit rights on OPs on SA? I can't remember. I think you can make them wide open to everyone, but that could be messy.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

EvilMayo posted:

Is there a trick to the pet battles? I can never get past #2 the guys are just insanely bigger than mine.

No, they're just very, very difficult past the first two. I couldn't get past the second one either until I had a serious combo team, and even then I could only reliably get up to ~5 or so.

MrTundra
Aug 19, 2014

porktree posted:

Interesting - I've been using Night Danger Moose's

Gargoyle
Infernus
Yao Guai
Ogryn

With full success (Room 10) - but I felt like the Room 10 boss was pushing it a little.

I've been using:
Lantern Banner
Flamifer (Titan)
Divinia
Yao Guai
Queen Titania

It's taken me up through floor 18 just fine but starting to get tougher. Might need to swap Titania out for Megavore soon.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

porktree posted:

I'm not seeing them posted in guild chat or discord either. I think most people are just running blind and not posting results.

Edit:

Floor 11
Rare - Unlock
Ultra Rare - Magic
Epic - Life
Legendary - Life

Bandire fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 2, 2019

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

After kicking a few inactives I got four more open slots for Gem Blossums if anybody is interested.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

EvilMayo posted:

A solid team that only requires two traited troops is Dwarven Gate x3 and Tesla or King Forgehammer. Power up the first two Gates and just keep looping them until the 4th troop is full. The gates will keep everyone protected with a barrier, letting the team swing way above it's weight. If you don't get a favorable start, retreat and try again.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
Well I guess I'll do another couple floors. (Gem boiz)

Floor 12:
Rare - LUCK
Ultra Rare - Armor
Epic - Attack
Legendary - Unlock

Floor 13:
Rare - Unlock
Ultra Rare - Armor
Epic - LUCK
Legendary - Armor

Floor 14:
Rare - Unlock
Ultra Rare - Life
Epic - Power
Legendary - Attack

Enkor fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 3, 2019

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Floor 15:
Rare - Unlock
Ultra Rare - Heroism
Epic - Life
Legendary - Life

Bandire fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 4, 2019

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Floor 16:
Rare - Haste
Ultra Rare - Unlock
Epic - Life
Legendary - Armor

Floor 17:
Rare - Attack
Ultra Rare - Haste
Epic - Unlock
Legendary - Fireball

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
There is a new mythic troop available this week: Phoenicia of Suncrest. Gem Boiz is still far below our typical guild seal total, so make sure to collect any seals you have, and spend Orbs of Clans if you got ’em.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I had a ton of orbs apparently (about 5k seals worth). Still short of 40k, but I pulled the new Mythic with 400 glory keys, lucky me. Seems like a good troop to pair with Infernus, but I think Suna is still a better fit.

Probably OK given her colors, she'll be useful in guild wars or other games where troop choices are limited.

Why did we get her after the Stryx raid/invasion week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Here’s something unusual: Gems of War is offering me 100 gems for $2. This is actually a really good deal on gems—better even than the 15 gems for 15 days option. If you were considering spending some money on the game, this is the time to do it.