Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Lensman START

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh thank God, traditional animation, finally.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Oh thank God, traditional animation, finally.

The CGI was great, and incredibly well done for the time.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I also really like the CGI in Golgo 13. Osamu Dezaki is ballsy as hell to use it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They used the same computers that Disney used for Tron for the CGI bits in Lensman, which must have been expensive as gently caress at the time

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I recognize that it must have been impressive at the time, but... it hasn't aged well.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

They used the same computers that Disney used for Tron for the CGI bits in Lensman, which must have been expensive as gently caress at the time

The extras in the torrent have some ads or something hyping the CGI. I think it was a big deal at the time.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I recognize that it must have been impressive at the time, but... it hasn't aged well.

The only CGI sequence that works is the one where he gets the Lens. The rest are pretty goofy.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

The only CGI sequence that works is the one where he gets the Lens. The rest are pretty goofy.

Yeah, I liked that one. It worked because it was more abstract.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

darealkooky posted:

can we use this thread as a general "movie rec thread' or what

I don't mind more recommendations for stuff to watch but I'd rather it not turn in to a general thread for them since we already have an anime recommendations thread.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The CGI parts were fun in a time capsule sort of way but I was really glad when they were over.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I just noticed that this villain guy's helmet only has an opening for half of his face, so that he may mysteriously display only one eye.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh, but he's dead.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Space lady wants his space nuts.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Going through villainous underlings awful quick here.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
He definitely wants her space boobers.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Oh, but he's dead.

Yeah, there's a lot of that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's really mean that they keep calling this flying guy ugly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That guy's cool as well.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

That guy's cool as well.

Yes.

Oh gently caress yeah space disco time!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
DJ Bill is weird.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I have dawdled and am tired. I'll have to finish the last 40 minutes of this in the morning.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't mind more recommendations for stuff to watch but I'd rather it not turn in to a general thread for them since we already have an anime recommendations thread.

I understand and don't wanna step on your toes, I just have a single request.

Everyone please watch Metropolis, it's sorta based on the tezuka manga which is sorta based on the classic silent movie, and came out in 2001 or something. It has a dub but it's tape/DVD only (while the JP is blu ray). I think there might be a :filez: version of the blu ray with the english voices but I digress.

Either way it's a really cool take on some otherwise standard cyberpunk elements that anime loves, it looks fantastic (speaking of the CGI in lensman not aging well, metropolis has some really well done cgi for the timeframe) and has a great soundtrack. In spite of all this, I've literally never heard someone this side of grumpy jii san mention it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No worries, Metropolis is a cool film that I always forget about for some reason. I'll add Katsuhiro Otomo's other less famous movies like Steamboy and Memories too.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

skipping lensman, sorry. watched patema inverted. nice enough little movie and i enjoyed all the little sight gags with the inverted stuff. some very pretty visuals as well. on the other hand, the villain was annoying and the slow motion sequences were unneeded and ugly. for anyone curious, here is what was in that email

Sent: Tue???y,??ly 29,v???x ?:30PM
To: Ma????ng list fre?ds
Cc: ?? com?unity
Subject: We are alive.
Attachments: I?mage582 Image6?5 Im??e661

This E-mail is an appeal to all recipients.

We are alive
We were spared the effects of the anti-gravity experiment.

We have yet to fully grasp the extent of the destruction
But we are absolutely certain that one particular undamaged area remains;
namely, the area on the exact opposite side of the Earth's mantle.
This is the reverse side of the Earth's axis.

After settling that area, we pushed forward with research into the repair of gravity inversion.
Now it seems a successful breakthough may by just out of reach.
We have placed our hopes in the networks still online in each area, and are
transmitting this E-mail all over the Earth.

To all recipients: please print as many copies of this E-mail as possible.
Then please distribute those copies to as many people, as you can, so that
they may know the truth.

We are resolved to wait in here, for generations if necessary.

Latitude 33.3526' N, Longitude 130.2401' E

Please convey this to all peopple on Earth. We are alive.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Greedle's voice is not intimidating in the least, what a weird villain.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The insert songs are rad as hell

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

:rip: Greedle and Blakeslee
I hope they keep this gag going lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Worsel...kakkoii :swoon:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Lensman RESUME

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Right into the beam, what a dumbass.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Tron time.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
THE END

...or is it???

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That was fun as a piece of animation history, but I don't think it was very good. I'm not certain there was a single original idea in the whole thing. It's just an '80s pulp sci-fi romp with a large animation budget. It did look pretty good when it wasn't cg. I'm glad enough to have watched it.

quote:

Starship
Ride on with me
My little girl

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I really liked it! There was a lot of awesome direction and animation, backed by a great soundtrack. Surprisingly, the final battle is the low point, where all the good action choreography from before just flies out the window. It's still a very fun movie to watch and something I will probably end up rewatching with non-anime friends.

Going to try watching Patema tomorrow

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm glancing through some of the bonus goodies, and I have seen the FUTURE.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I'm glancing through some of the bonus goodies, and I have seen the FUTURE.

The bonus goodies are cool.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

That was fun as a piece of animation history, but I don't think it was very good. I'm not certain there was a single original idea in the whole thing. It's just an '80s pulp sci-fi romp with a large animation budget. It did look pretty good when it wasn't cg. I'm glad enough to have watched it.

Eh, I'll be honest I think dinging a movie based on a pulp 50's novel which was an inspiration for probably the biggest SF franchise ever for not being original is a bit like complaining about the Lord of Rings movies because orcs and elves has been done to death.
At least it holds up better than 99% of the 'Star Wars is popular make something a bit like that' stuff from the same period.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh, I'll be honest I think dinging a movie based on a pulp 50's novel which was an inspiration for probably the biggest SF franchise ever for not being original is a bit like complaining about the Lord of Rings movies because orcs and elves has been done to death.
At least it holds up better than 99% of the 'Star Wars is popular make something a bit like that' stuff from the same period.

Oh, it's based on a novel? I hadn't realized, or rather, you probably mentioned it in your write up and I didn't remember. That does get it a bit of leeway, I suppose. Originality isn't necessary for a film at all, really, but I didn't have enough fun watching it to wholly overlook its lack.

I enjoy the CMs. This gif is also an mp3 (in some players?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, the Lensman novels were at least as big an inspiration on Star Wars as Hidden Fortress was.
They're super pulpy and the author had zero technical knowledge so you got stuff like the heroes smashing through the spaceship windows to fire at the bad guys like they were in a western. :v:

• Locked thread