Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Oncogene posted:

They're largely considered "post-grunge" which essentially takes grunge and, somehow, makes it even worse if you can believe that.

I've heard it. I can believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The worst crime of nu metal is that the genre convinced Metallica that was the direction metal music was going and the subsequent record permanently ruined Metallica

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

hemophilia posted:

The worst crime of nu metal is that the genre convinced Metallica that was the direction metal music was going and the subsequent record permanently ruined Metallica

the black album ruined metallica

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Haverchuck posted:

I disagree. It was st. Angry

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I look back on angsty middle-school to high school me and feel embarrassed at my taste in music... but yeah guys who are 30+ Nu-Metal and other poo poo was popular when I was an angsty teen like 10 years after you because I am only 22. However in high school it died a pretty quick death by the time I hit 17 or so, having been slain on the altar of Deep House and quirky alt-rock for weird white kids who aren't as angry anymore.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 18, 2015

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
Black Album was basically the signal for all the thrash heads that they were gonna go the "mainstream" route and seen as the start of the eventual decline that everyone realized once St. Angerer came out.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
gently caress those macarina el nu-metal fucks in macarina too

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Indubitable Leg posted:

Black Album was basically the signal for all the thrash heads that they were gonna go the "mainstream" route and seen as the start of the eventual decline that everyone realized once St. Angerer came out.

i think the 90's short haircut albums were actually better than black album, particularly the double album of covers

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
remember the late 90s swing revivial lol. that one had no legs

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

Haverchuck posted:

i think the 90's short haircut albums were actually better than black album, particularly the double album of covers

Load had some decent tracks but compared to Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning it was definitely a slowdown and a turn into the post grunge foray from which they really never returned. They can right a thrash song here and there but at this point (plus the rumors that Lars couldn't play that fast to begin with), even they're probably aware they're just riding on the laurels that came with being the biggest of The Big 4.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Load and reload have a lot of blues and country elements that make them distinctly not metal but I've always had a taste for blues and I didn't mind it. I can see the guys with a really narrow genre interest like hardcore thrashers being justifiably put out but those albums are solid music. St. Anger is very bad.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
I think And Justice For All was the first hint for thrashers that something was off (and where the theory that Lars couldn't play fast starts). The drums were slower and the overall theme wasn't as aggressive compared to Master of Puppets before it. Not a bad album by any stretch (still considered among the greats), but yeah if you were a thrasher in '88 you caught a glimpse of things to come. I don't mind the bluesy aspects since Metal has its roots in the blues genre (Black Sabbath started as a blues coverband), though the country aspects kinda coincided when Country music started becoming the bloated behemoth it is today.

Indubitable Leg fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 18, 2015

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Load and reload were really bad by any standard but St anger is one of, if not the worst album I've ever subjected myself to.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O_3RjbBvEQ

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

Cephalectomy posted:

Load and reload were really bad by any standard but St anger is one of, if not the worst album I've ever subjected myself to.

Then best steer clear of the sonic abomination that is Lulu.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
the metallica opinion zone

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

St anger is nu metal so it counts.

Lulu is unbelievable. I am the table.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I was really into the metal that came after numetal. Stuff like Killswitch Engage, early All that remains, Soilwork, Children of Bodom, In Flames, Mastodon, Lamb of God, etc. With the exception of All That Remains, I still like all those bands but pretty much only play Mastodon and Soilwork these days because they're cool and good. The others never really evolved their sound or evolved it into bad territory.

Also, Death Magnetic is a decent Metallica album if you get the GH remastered version that was going around shortly after its release.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 18, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I like that part in St. Anger when Hetfield goes KILL KILL KILL KILL over and over again it was awesome lol

He says it about 20 times without stopping almost totally monotone. That's my kind of music

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

kill-uh, kill-uh, kill-uh

lemonade-uh

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Who the gently caress is still listening to this poo poo? I seriously think the late 90s early 2000s was the shittiest period of popular music ever, I can't even get nostalgic for it even though I was a child at the time and was mostly happy then

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Chromatic posted:

I was really into the metal that came after numetal. Stuff like Killswitch Engage, early All that remains, Soilwork, Children of Bodom, In Flames, Mastodon, Lamb of God, etc. With the exception of All That Remains, I still like all those bands but pretty much only play Mastodon and Soilwork these days because they're cool and good. The others never really evolved their sound or evolved it into bad territory.

Also, Death Magnetic is a decent Metallica album if you get the GH remastered version that was going around shortly after its release.

In Flames is pretty good I went to one of their concerts once and enjoyed myself

Trivium opened and they were okay, if I recall the singer was concerned for peoples' safety in the pit and generally seemed like he wanted us to have a good time and I appreciated that, you know?

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

shiksa posted:

metalcore is basically the same thing but with skinnier people and glam metal makeup.

that'd be true if avenged sevenfold was the only metalcore band

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

swampland posted:

Who the gently caress is still listening to this poo poo? I seriously think the late 90s early 2000s was the shittiest period of popular music ever, I can't even get nostalgic for it even though I was a child at the time and was mostly happy then
Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Destiny's Child, NSync and all that was actually the good popular music at that time.

If you were a teenage male like I was you couldn't bring yourself to admit that it was true.

But it is.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Machine Head back in the early 2000s was one of the best gigs ever. BTW check out Chelsea Wolfe's new release "Abyss" if you like a goth/metal PJ Harvey.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Omi-Polari posted:

Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Destiny's Child, NSync and all that was actually the good popular music at that time.

If you were a teenage male like I was you couldn't bring yourself to admit that it was true.

But it is.

I was talking really about stuff like Three Doors Down, Limp Bizkit, Hoobastank, Creed, Linkin Park, Korn that kinda poo poo that was just everywhere around then, awful nu-metal/post grunge. I was an almost teenage male.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Master of Puppets killed Thrash Metal.

Oh check out the new Disturbed song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jct3HKRYU2A

Sounds like it was written by a 16 year old that just got a Bob Marley Shirt.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Possibly Chicken posted:

Master of Puppets killed Thrash Metal.

Oh check out the new Disturbed song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jct3HKRYU2A

Sounds like it was written by a 16 year old that just got a Bob Marley Shirt.

I was confused by your description because I just listened to The Sickness and going from Voices to that song has left me still very confused.

I can write better weed lyrics than that.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Chromatic posted:

mastodon is real good and helped open up a genre with cool acts like red fang baroness and the sword

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Blue Raider posted:

mastodon is real good and helped open up a genre with cool acts like red fang baroness and the sword

I don't think they've put out a bad album. Red Fang and The Sword really aren't my thing but I hear Baroness is great. I should check them out.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

in flames turning out the way they did was real bad, shame they couldn't be consistently good like the other similar swede bands like dark tranquillity and soilwork

well soilwork put out a few duds in the mid 00s but they getting good again and their upcoming LP is supposed to be sweet

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

For melodeath you hop over to Finland for the good poo poo, which is Kalmah

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

hemophilia posted:

For melodeath you hop over to Finland for the good poo poo, which is Kalmah Insomnium

fixed that for u m8

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm going to kick your face into space bitch

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
fuckin (hed) pe were amazing til 2006

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

hemophilia posted:

For melodeath you hop over to Finland for the good poo poo, which is Kalmah Insomnium Wintersun

:colbert:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Haverchuck posted:

Haverchuck posted:

Haverchuck posted:

Haverchuck posted:

Haverchuck posted:

Haverchuck posted:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Actually it was Cliff dying that ruined them.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hemophilia posted:

I disagree. It was st. Angry

"We're playing fast again LOL"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

We can identify points of failure leading to where they are now but St. Anger was the first major transgression against my ears. You can say the black album was when they sold out or load/reload is when they stopped being metal but you can chalk not liking that music up to taste. St. Angry is just bad. Death Magnetic was a death rattle. Lulu is postmortem

• Locked thread