Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What a scam. http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac

1.4 DUAL-CORE i5.
8 gigs of DDR3 RAM
500Gb HDD
Built into a 22 inch monitor
$1,100

People are retarded.

They literally charge 200 US DOLLARS for an extra 8 gigs of RAM for their iMac products. TWO HUNDRED loving DOLLARS extra for another 8Gb of DDR3 1600 RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

why are you surprised? it's Apple.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
suck my penis off

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
typing on a macbook, got it, and an iMac free, from work. just lol if you don't work the system to your advantage for free stuff

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Kuato posted:

typing on a macbook, got it, and an iMac free, from work. just lol if you don't work the system to your advantage for free stuff

your work is paying you less because they spent so much on lovely overpriced computers

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Prorat posted:

What a scam. http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac

1.4 DUAL-CORE i5.
8 gigs of DDR3 RAM
500Gb HDD
Built into a 22 inch monitor
$1,100

People are retarded.

They literally charge 200 US DOLLARS for an extra 8 gigs of RAM for their iMac products. TWO HUNDRED loving DOLLARS extra for another 8Gb of DDR3 1600 RAM.

bill gates paid apple to compete with his company

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
lol op is a poor

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

jackyl posted:

lol op is a poor

poors don't spend too much on comuters

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Prorat posted:

your work is paying you less because they spent so much on lovely overpriced computers

they buy me lots of useless poo poo, and also recently gave me a $4/hr raise, would've been sweet to get a bigger raise though. :(

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Prorat posted:

Equipment budgets have nothing to do with wages. If you don't spend the equipment money this year, it will get cut next year. So departments spend every month until May getting value and being sensible with their resources, then dump the excess into iPads or Macbook Airs or whatever before the end of the fiscal year.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
My MacBook Pro with 1TB SSD and discrete graphics was $3000, which is reasonable.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Kuato posted:

they buy me lots of useless poo poo, and also recently gave me a $4/hr raise, would've been sweet to get a bigger raise though. :(

Sounds like the man has got you good and anesthetized

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

emoji posted:

My MacBook Pro with 1TB SSD and discrete graphics was $3000, which is reasonable.

Lmao

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
apple products are bad, op

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

:confused:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apple is for dumb morons that can't figure out computers :lol:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
i ain't got nothing against macs but holy moly i can't wrap my head around spending that much for a regular computer

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Apple has manged to convince the masses that memory is really loving expensive, despite memory being really loving cheap.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Gobblecoque posted:

i ain't got nothing against macs but holy moly i can't wrap my head around spending that much for a regular computer

It's not that much money. 99% of vehicles provide far less value per dollar.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Tom Gorman posted:

Equipment budgets have nothing to do with wages. If you don't spend the equipment money this year, it will get cut next year. So departments spend every month until May getting value and being sensible with their resources, then dump the excess into iPads or Macbook Airs or whatever before the end of the fiscal year.

I read a book about a girl who likes you once.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Rand alPaul posted:

Apple is for dumb morons that can't figure out computers :lol:

Edit: also,

Pawn 17 posted:

Apple has manged to convince the masses that memory is really loving expensive, despite memory being really loving cheap.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
As far as cell phones go, I'm all in for the iPhone, it's proven time and time again, to be most reliable, streamlined and efficient, easy to use, very nice build quality.

As for their computers: nice for a year, when you finally feel less like a retard getting suckered into buying one, another year goes by, quality deteriorates, problems arise, best option is to replace but I'll be damned if I'm gonna be suckered again.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Pawn 17 posted:

How much is 8gb of ram supposed to cost

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

50 bucks.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

50-100 depending on brand/speed/etc

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

emoji posted:

A 1tb SSD cost 800 dollars to upgrade to for a mac. (I say upgrade so its $800 plus how ever much goes to the price that you are already paying for the original 256gb)

A 1tb Samsung Evo, one of the better SSD's on the market, goes for like 375 bucks.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

emoji posted:

It's not that much money. 99% of vehicles provide far less value per dollar.

Lol stfu. My 85k benz is worth everg penny. Clients, prospects, and random drunk bitches at clubs are impressed and all suck my d or let me put it in their p

Look at this nerd driving a prius or a fiat lolol

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

Apple uses DDR3 1600, so 50 bucks.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Prorat posted:

50 bucks.

Blue Train posted:

Thank you, kind goons. GOd bless

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
i don't know if its still the same but the RAM is the only thing you can actually modify easily on older imac, so its basically an idiot fee

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

David Copperfield posted:

i don't know if its still the same but the RAM is the only thing you can actually modify easily on older imac, so its basically an idiot fee

I love opening my PC and messing it but I would not want to mess with these all in one imacs, can you even open these things up?

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
no they just have a little hidden flap for the RAM, that's it

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
Accessibility and options are bad, mmmkay? - steve jobs and johnny ive speaking as one mind, bound inf lesh

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
apple seems to discard basic conveniences like hdmi or ethernet ports, or user-replaceable RAM, for no reason. like i feel like they're pressuring me by declaring poo poo obsolete so i buy more and it's mostly just annoying. like "this model is 7 inches bigger, has a faster quad core cpu, and also, throw out your old external harddrive, dickstain, this is Thunderbolt country. or you can buy the lovely, cheap, small old one, like a FOOL" apple step back it ain't even like that

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
also heaven forbid you want to use disc-based media on a desktop

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Prorat posted:

A 1tb SSD cost 800 dollars to upgrade to for a mac. (I say upgrade so its $800 plus how ever much goes to the price that you are already paying for the original 256gb)

A 1tb Samsung Evo, one of the better SSD's on the market, goes for like 375 bucks.

Look at prices for the PCIe versions which is what it has. Apple is actually cheaper.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

You could build a better machine and put OSX on it if you really want a mac that bad for that price.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

David Copperfield posted:

you can only replace it on the 27 inch imacs lol

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Blue Train posted:

you can only replace it on the 27 inch imacs lol

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What is the Mac that literally looks like a trash can and costs ten thousand dollars?

• Locked thread