Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Blue Train posted:

you can only replace it on the 27 inch imacs lol

haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is the Mac that literally looks like a trash can and costs ten thousand dollars?

Its the new mac pro

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-pro

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is the Mac that literally looks like a trash can and costs ten thousand dollars?

Is it all of them?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
The extra money you pay goes towards a computer that doesn't get viruses, and doesn't get slower and shittier after two months of use.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

quote:

3.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor
12GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
Dual AMD FirePro D300
with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM each
256GB PCIe-based flash storage1

$3000. Not including a monitor

why

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

The extra money you pay goes towards a computer that doesn't get viruses, and doesn't get slower and shittier after two months of use.

It's slower and shittier right out of the box.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

$3000. Not incluidng a monitor

why

because steve jobs was a hell of a salesman

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

My windows pc has worked fine since 2010 and I've never had a virus, you gay yospos retard.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Luckily Windows 7 computers don't do this if you know how to properly use a computer. Its not Windows fault.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

yeah it was the new redesigned desktop product line.

obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3s-qZsjK8I

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The only reason you can say it doesn't get virus's is because of apples poo poo market penetration, sorry hackers don't waste time going after a tiny portion of people, if you aren't a 70 year old using a computer properly so it doesn't get slow or viruses is the same thing as changing the oil in your car, but you probably can't even do that simple task as well.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

yeah it was the new redesigned desktop product line.

obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3s-qZsjK8I

The rollerblade joke is pretty funny.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Turtle Sandbox posted:

The only reason you can say it doesn't get virus's is because of apples poo poo market penetration, sorry hackers don't waste time going after a tiny portion of people, if you aren't a 70 year old using a computer properly so it doesn't get slow or viruses is the same thing as changing the oil in your car, but you probably can't even do that simple task as well.

more importantly windows has more market share for corporations and the government. This alone makes windows a much more lucrative target for hacking.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

emoji posted:

It's not that much money. 99% of vehicles provide far less value per dollar.

"Yeah my computer costs as much as my car, who cares obviously I get more value from my mac"

*cars on average can last 30+ years*

*computer components start failing after 5 years on average*

*has complete faith in a company that embraces planned obsolescence*

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Turtle Sandbox posted:

The only reason you can say it doesn't get virus's is because of apples poo poo market penetration,

not to mention that there is malware in the wild as of ten days ago

quote:

Last month, Stefan Esser blogged about a zero-day vulnerability in OS X, without having informed Apple about the problem first. Unfortunately, today has brought the discovery of the first known exploit.

Adam Thomas, a researcher at Malwarebytes, discovered a new adware installer, and while testing it, he discovered something very strange: his sudoers file had been modified!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blue Train posted:

not to mention that there is malware in the wild as of ten days ago

apple had to remove the immune to viruses blurb from their marketing.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

a bone to pick posted:

"Yeah my computer costs as much as my car, who cares obviously I get more value from my mac"

$3000 is not a lot of money in the developed world. Hundreds of millions of people regularly spend that much on a week's trip.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
my 1tb 2.8ghz macbook pro retina was basically free (aside from the shell i got it) and i think its pretty good, its substantially better than the lenovo thinkpad (goon recommended), that i was using. if i ever get shitcanned and have to buy my own laptop i'd probably consider buying one. :shrug:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

emoji posted:

$3000 is not a lot of money in the developed world. Hundreds of millions of people regularly spend that much on a week's trip.

Median net compensation 2013 in the us: 28,031.02

seems like a lot to me

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Blue Train posted:

Median net compensation 2013 in the us: 28,031.02

seems like a lot to me

The developed world, dummy.

America regularly spends billions on the military. Compared to that a poo poo computer is literally pennies.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Apples os software used to be good at least but its kind of getting lovely. So you can now choose between lovely windows, os x, or linux :shrug:

Theyve always hosed people on hardware but it used to feel worth it to use their softwres but i dunno anymore.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Real computers put a man on the moon.

All a mac has managed to do is put a man in a box.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ddraig posted:

The developed world, dummy.

whoops missed that part nevermind

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

In reality, currently vehicles on the road last about 11 years. Also failed vehicle is likely to severely maim or kill its operator or others in the vicinity. Apples long time ago crossed the line from a hobby tinker toy to a premium appliance. Just like refrigerator or Television set is not set up to be serviced or "upgraded" by the end users, neither one should have expectations of opening your Apple.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xenaul posted:

In reality, currently vehicles on the road last about 11 years. Also failed vehicle is likely to severely maim or kill its operator or others in the vicinity. Apples long time ago crossed the line from a hobby tinker toy to a premium appliance. Just like refrigerator or Television set is not set up to be serviced or "upgraded" by the end users, neither one should have expectations of opening your Apple.

yeah nothing says premium like being assembled by chinese slave labor.

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

:dukedog:
xcode sucks and visual studio is a million times better. that's all you need to know really

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

DonJNavarro posted:

xcode sucks and visual studio is a million times better. that's all you need to know really

visual studio is probably the best only good IDE ever made.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
i had a windows PC conflict Pro Tools with un-uninstallable Internet Explorer

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
lovely AIO Dell if your bad at internet 899

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron...rds=dell+aio+i5

Decent Ultra book, more than most people need. 579

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-Windows-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B00VRWKXO8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439783695&sr=8-2&keywords=e7240

Also we are coming for you Ive's, putting you in charge of Software design was the worst mistake Apple has made since the Newton.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i like apple just because it really pisses off weird PC lovers that they are a successful company for some reason. you can at least get someone to do your PC shopping for you if you say you are thinking about buying an iMac ^^^

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

emoji posted:

It's not that much money. 99% of vehicles provide far less value per dollar.

I'd believe that, but with cars, it's probably a lot harder to break it down part by part and prove if it's a ripoff or not. With computers, it's fairly easy. $1100 is an embarrassingly high price and if I were Apple I'd feel really hosed up selling a low end computer for that

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

That Dell has a CPU that is very close to twice the CPU performance of OP's Apple Thing, and LITERALLY twice the hard drive capacity though. And it's $200 less

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i've had macs all my live and they definitely still get slower over time

and the no-virus thing is clearly in the past now

edit: the main reason nobody made viruses for mac/nobody made software for mac/software specs could be generously re-interpreted on macs was that they used IBM powerpcs, and that hasn't been true for almost a solid decade now

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
itt: nerds nerding over nerd poo poo. what is the internet anyways?

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

Don't forget the $169 for Applecare.

I think they buy it just for the "and that's why I get Applecare" :smuggo: every time their poo poo breaks.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
The internet is for this.

Next exec who forces s Mac on his IT staff in a PC environment is first against the wall.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

David Copperfield posted:

i've had macs all my live and they definitely still get slower over time

and the no-virus thing is clearly in the past now

edit: the main reason nobody made viruses for mac/nobody made software for mac/software specs could be generously re-interpreted on macs was that they used IBM powerpcs, and that hasn't been true for almost a solid decade now

I d write malware for Macs.

Rubes with too much money that don't know poo poo about computers seems like a pretty ripe demographic.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

General Tofu posted:

I'd believe that, but with cars, it's probably a lot harder to break it down part by part and prove if it's a ripoff or not. With computers, it's fairly easy. $1100 is an embarrassingly high price and if I were Apple I'd feel really hosed up selling a low end computer for that

We have been well beyond the point for many years where specs matter for usability in 99% of cases. The parts that matter are the parts you touch and no other manufacturer makes a decent trackpad.

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

emoji posted:

We have been well beyond the point for many years where specs matter for usability in 99% of cases. The parts that matter are the parts you touch and no other manufacturer makes a decent trackpad.

I definitely see your point about usability trumping specs. But the trackpads I've used on Dells, MSI netbooks, ASUS tablets/netbooks were all perfectly fine. The only one I found fairly unresponsive was on a Samsung I got really cheap. Not used a Mac laptop in ages, but their bizarre touchpad mouse was awkward as all hell to use, and that's what they shipped with the last iMac I used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

synaptics is irredeemable poo poo

• Locked thread