Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Any real reason for Mac computers went out the window when they switched from PPC processors to Intel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
I had one back in the 68K days. Decent machine, and I liked the interface enough, but who programmed that mess? If you held down the mouse button, everything on the system immediately stopped like a game of "red light green light". Are you loving making GBS threads me?

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Any real reason for Mac computers went out the window when they switched from PPC processors to Intel.

on the plus side it means software ports are not something that happens once every blood sacrifice

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Why the gently caress do they put the usb ports at the back of the imac? Put them on the bottom or something...gently caress

And give me more than 4 ports too you shitheads. For 3k i want more than 4 ports come on now steven

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
At least they still put a USB port on the keyboard. I want to buy a PC keyboard with 2 or more of those.
And no, I can't buy an Apple one because they put the modifier keys in stupid places and the key travel is rear end

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

$3000. Not including a monitor

why

the xeons/graphicsin that thing alone cost more than apple charges if you buy them separately. granted practically no rational person, and no consumer, needs server cpus/workstation graphics in their desktop machine, and those who do use workstations probably prefer something where they can upgrade more than the ram.

it really just seems like a pr 'look how tiny we can make this holy poo poo' thing that's kept alive by people with too much money who desperately want a mac that doesn't have a laptop gpu in it

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
They just work, op.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
ive an old macbook i never use somwhere. its like new.

it was way more than $1000. pure plastic junk!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

symbolic posted:

why are you surprised? it's Apple.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Paging Prada Slut to this thread to defend his Garbo one button mouse dota machine

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Blue Train posted:

synaptics is irredeemable poo poo

all touchpads are garbage

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my friend's HDD on his macbook gave out and he goes 'well time for a new laptop I guess since mine just bricked...'

loving retard buying a macbook where you can't even replace the HDD goddamn

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

CaptainSarcastic posted:

One reason PPC had an advantage (at least in the late 90s) was in using altivec for vector processing. That went away after migrating to Intel hw.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i'm switching from a macbook pro to an older lenovo x220

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
iMac? more like iCrap lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The good thing about crapple products is they make it easy to identify idiots.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
hey op got a question for you

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Turtle Sandbox posted:

The only reason you can say it doesn't get virus's is because of apples poo poo market penetration, sorry hackers don't waste time going after a tiny portion of people, if you aren't a 70 year old using a computer properly so it doesn't get slow or viruses is the same thing as changing the oil in your car, but you probably can't even do that simple task as well.

lol if you believe in security through obscurity. people write malware to take down single machines, it's just OS X doesn't have the permissions hodgepodge that microsoft had for a decade that made it so easy

took my htpc apart last night, ended up taking me 2 hours of my evening to find a ram combination that didn't stop the display from appearing on first boot, then having to trawl through my bios every 10 minutes because each hardware change caused the the settings to default, and windows goes into a reboot loop with absolutely zero feedback on why if i don't expressly tell it to use IDE as AHCI in a submenu

took my imac to the local apple store 2 weeks ago, and they ordered in parts and replaced them in 3 days on a 5 year old machine and i didn't pay a penny.

and nobody actually pays full price for apple gear, there's a million ways of getting discounts

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
macs are pretty cool imo

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Sorry you're a PC nublet, but it's not that difficult to get compatible RAM.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Leon Einstein posted:

Sorry you're a PC nublet, but it's not that difficult to get compatible RAM.

lol yeah because pc parts never have compatibility shiftits for no reason. half the combinations killed video output, half got further than that but didn't yield full performance or amounts. out of six sticks i found a combo of 4 that actually worked like they should.

and of course to actually get the system to utilise all the ram, that requires more messing about in the bios because lol

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

BlueBlazer posted:

I d write malware for Macs.

Rubes with too much money that don't know poo poo about computers seems like a pretty ripe demographic.

Have fun, 10.11 removes root privs so there is really no way to elevate to root to gently caress poo poo up, the root elevation bug that was released last week was patched in like 24hrs. Apple takes security and privacy really seriously, probably more so than any other tech company, they have also pushed for full disk encryption on all devices because gently caress the security state.

Apple owns nerds

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Macbooks look like a 70s Ford Pinto. Just shameful. May as well buy a typewriter imo. I mean, did you see them lately??! Gross.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EL BROMANCE posted:

and nobody actually pays full price for apple gear, there's a million ways of getting discounts

See? I told you it was easy to identify the idiots.

Just about everyone pays full price for apple crap, btw. But good on you for finding a way to get your overpriced stuff for a still overly high price.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Just got a 15 inch macbook pro with 2.5 Ghz quad core i7, 16 GB of ram, 512 GB PCI-e SSD, 2 gb discrete graphics. Yea it's p sweet. Only cost $2300. Chump change really

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Waltzing Along posted:

See? I told you it was easy to identify the idiots.

Just about everyone pays full price for apple crap, btw. But good on you for finding a way to get your overpriced stuff for a still overly high price.

i used a 27% discount on my iMac and paid barely more for it than the screen was worth, and that was with a quad i7 processor. same machine that still my main workhorse and got a complete service for free the other day. doubt there's as many people with an equivalent pc from 2010 who paid less for it than i did, and still has a perfectly fine and working system on the latest os.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80tI-SLgBs8

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miZHa7ZC6Z0

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ethanol posted:

Just got a 15 inch macbook pro with 2.5 Ghz quad core i7, 16 GB of ram, 512 GB PCI-e SSD, 2 gb discrete graphics. Yea it's p sweet. Only cost $2300. Chump change really

Next years phones will have that processor, enjoy.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Prorat posted:

Next years phones will have that processor, enjoy.

nice im getting the 6s too

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EL BROMANCE posted:

doubt there's as many people with an equivalent pc from 2010 who paid less for it than i did, and still has a perfectly fine and working system on the latest os.

The other thing about apple fools is they are delusional.

There are many people with equivalent and better PCs from 2010 that are running Windows 10.

But a Mac from 2010 runs like poo poo on 10.10.5. Shoulda stuck with Snow Leopard. It's been all downhill since then.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

my g4 cube is still running pretty well hth

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Waltzing Along posted:

There are many people with equivalent and better PCs from 2010 that are running Windows 10.

sucks to be them

quote:

But a Mac from 2010 runs like poo poo on 10.10.5.

lol no

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
macs run well for what they are; computers designed for people that can't be bothered to figure poo poo out and they just want something easy. they pay a premium for it though.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

EL BROMANCE posted:

i used a 27% discount on my iMac and paid barely more for it than the screen was worth, and that was with a quad i7 processor. same machine that still my main workhorse and got a complete service for free the other day. doubt there's as many people with an equivalent pc from 2010 who paid less for it than i did, and still has a perfectly fine and working system on the latest os.
Isn't every i7 a "quad"? Way to make it sound fancier.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Leon Einstein posted:

knew i should've mentioned hyper threading tm

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

knew i should've mentioned hyper threading tm

I got mmx extensions on my cpu.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/G0QP3LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-pro-27ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
My MacBook Pro retina and 5k iMac were free from my job, if they break down, or if they come out with some 10k screen or some poo poo I can just order a new one and surplus this poo poo. Lol if anyone spends a single penny on computers

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Oops. Thought they all had 4 cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
just loving lol if you buy a laptop for $1900 and it has a dual core cpu and onboard graphics just loving lol

• Locked thread