Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

what 'real work' are you doing on OSX that you can't do on Windows out of the box?

windows doesn't even come with a decent terminal emulator or ssh client

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
There is an App Store on an apple computer? Lol
Do you have to pay for the apps?
There has been legal free versions of software that do everything paid software does since the start of the Internet. I can't imagine paying for any non gaming software.

Thank god for basement dwellers and their free programs.

I bet that App Store has a mumble/vent program or any sort of tool that you have to pay for lol what a scam.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Prorat posted:

There is an App Store on an apple computer? Lol
Do you have to pay for the apps?
There has been legal free versions of software that do everything paid software does since the start of the Internet. I can't imagine paying for any non gaming software.

Thank god for basement dwellers and their free programs.

I bet that App Store has a mumble/vent program or any sort of tool that you have to pay for lol what a scam.

you can put free apps on the app store and it is theoretically better because apple can exert control and keep viruses/malicious apps out of the store. the future of os x is being unable to install anything outside of the app store, and it's a good thing.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Hahahahahahaha. They might as well have their own internet.

So stupid, enjoy your censored content.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Prorat posted:

Hahahahahahaha. They might as well have their own internet.

So stupid, enjoy your censored content.

actually, it's you who's stupid

i hope you understand windows is going to have to move in the same direction as well :angel: good luck 2 u bb

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So they ban anything confederate flag from their App Store, then they will ban anything they don't like from showing up in Safari and since they'll stop allowing other browsers on the App Store. They will be in full control of your internet.

Lol

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
In 5 years only Apple approved anything will be allowed, and by Apple approved I mean whoever pays them the most money lol

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Prorat posted:

So they ban anything confederate flag from their App Store, then they will ban anything they don't like from showing up in Safari and since they'll stop allowing other browsers on the App Store. They will be in full control of your internet.

Lol

they already are in control of your internet if they want to be. they own the OS and the networking stack and can gently caress with every browser more easily than loving with just safari, and they haven't, because it would be a suicidally stupid move.

but okay

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3s-qZsjK8I

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ashgromnies posted:

they already are in control of your internet if they want to be. they own the OS and the networking stack and can gently caress with every browser more easily than loving with just safari, and they haven't, because it would be a suicidally stupid move.

but okay

Install Gentoo

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
iMacs seem like the type of computer Hammacher Schlemmer would sell.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

apple has good physical design and build quality and also just generally a good vibe

my parents paid for mine

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Prorat posted:

Install Gentoo

http://fun.irq.dk/funroll-loops.org/

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.

Prorat posted:

Install Gentoo

i installed gentoo on my previous macbook

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fonzarelli posted:

apple has good physical design and build quality and also just generally a good vibe

my parents paid for mine

other bonus is your mac is haunted by 100 crying chinese ghosts

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

etalian posted:

other bonus is your mac is haunted by 100 crying chinese ghosts

all mass produced electronics are

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

better than a bunch of lazy entitled white people making my poo poo

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
As a dude who fixes laptops all day, macs are very well built and engineered. They're also very easy to repair but macbook parts are expensive.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Lufiron posted:

2.7GHz 12-core with 30MB of L3 cache
64GB (4x16GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
1TB PCIe-based flash storage
Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

$9,599.00

To be fair I just pieced together an identical system in PC Part Picker and it's only about $200 cheaper.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

They're also very easy to repair

lol

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

They're extremely easy to repair if you aren't a half-wit, I guess I should clarify.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
The retina iMac is probably the most amazing screen on any computing device ever

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Brother, there's some really bad laptop case designs out there. HP, Toshiba, god drat. It's like they do it on purpose so you'll try to crack it open, get frustrated, and scrap it for a new one.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Actually I forgot the new macbooks are going to solder on the ram and hard drive making them worthless to repair, gotta enjoy the best crafted macbooks while they last people.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
the mac app store (where they took the one from iOS and bolted it onto OS X and nobody uses it except for apple-made apps) and the new macbook are a loving joke

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

vug posted:

suk my flange

Man Quake 1 must run at over 60fps on tha beast!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

The retina iMac is probably the most amazing screen on any computing device ever

I tried one out at Micro Center and couldn't notice any improvement over my 27 in. 4K. I'd say the biggest difference is my monitor has a real computer connected to it.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree
macs are bad

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree
i will tell you what. if i needed a laptop, which i dont, i would buy http://us.refurb.io/collections/laptops/products/lenovo-thinkpad-t420-14-1-intel-core-i5-2520m-2-5ghz-4-0gb-250gb i mean heck why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
My first gen aluminum unibody MacBook is hitting 7 years in a few months. Rocking Yosemite. A bit slower than it used to be, only had the HDD fail on me and a few batteries go bad. Oh and the ODD failed, and the backlight is failing. But I have a USB CD drive for other uses, so it's not too bad.

I look forward to upgrading to a retina display w/ 1TB SSD and whatever the max of RAM that will be available. It'll be expensive, but I've been happy w/ my experiences. OK that's my story peace y'all

(I like repairing aluminum iMacs because the screen is fun to take off. But holy poo poo does it suck to keep dust out)

• Locked thread