Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Anyway, good OP though I wasn't aware Blitz was that disliked. I kind of liked him being a total idiot and how the best resolution for his personal quest is doing the opposite of playing a Bioware Yes-Man to your team.

My entire issue with blitz wasn't with his character, but his "skills". Straight up decking, he is more than adequate and will get the job done. However he was pretty :geno: otherwise. Blitz has joined your team! He's a hot poo poo Decker/rigger-oh wait his rigging skill is too low for the checks in the building you got him...

Oh about that rigging, you have to jump through some simple hoops first before he even has a drone.

But at least he has an 8 decking skill by the end of the game, so at least he can do that optional Decking check you know about from your own decker playthr-mother fucker, can't use Blitz for the decking check after you pass the Charisma check in the conversation tree :sigh:

Also, watch the main menu screen for Dragonfall:Director's Cut sometime. Guess who isn't there. Even I think Blitz deserves to be on the Main Menu with the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Section Z posted:

My entire issue with blitz wasn't with his character, but his "skills". Straight up decking, he is more than adequate and will get the job done. However he was pretty :geno: otherwise. Blitz has joined your team! He's a hot poo poo Decker/rigger-oh wait his rigging skill is too low for the checks in the building you got him...

Oh about that rigging, you have to jump through some simple hoops first before he even has a drone.

But at least he has an 8 decking skill by the end of the game, so at least he can do that optional Decking check you know about from your own decker playthr-mother fucker, can't use Blitz for the decking check after you pass the Charisma check in the conversation tree :sigh:

Also, watch the main menu screen for Dragonfall:Director's Cut sometime. Guess who isn't there. Even I think Blitz deserves to be on the Main Menu with the rest.

Yeah Blitz does work far better as a Decker than a Rigger and his drone's too weak to be of much use, but his ability to basically cause confusion on enemies is pretty good and that decking skill thing you mentioned is more of an oversight of the campaign design than Blitz himself. Regarding the main menu, I don't think Dante appears either though he's a bit of a surprise and joins 2 runs before the end of the game.

Besides, it's not like Dietrich was a particularly great Shaman either and Glory's a glass canon that kind of sucks unless you know exactly how to exploit her potential, at which point she's game breaking. Eiger is really the only NPC companion who is good at what she does with no strings attached.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm not strictly sure the weapon you're forced to use at the end of Dead Man's Switch actually uses any of your skills, it could use its own formulae. I say that because the first time I played through the campaign I was an Adept and had no skill in guns whatsoever and I still got around a 60% chance to hit when I was around 90% with melee weapons. Then on my second playthrough of that campaign I focused on assault rifles but out of curiosity, pumped points into shotgun too so it was on par with assault rifles and still only got around 60% chance to hit. I'm also fairly sure you always had two shots with it before needing to reload, which is a pain because assuming you successfully hit every time, it takes around 3 shots to kill those things.

You're right, they did disconnect it from any skills. The real trick to using it is to be 2-3 tiles away because the odds of hitting drop off sharply any further than that. If you are still glued to the infrequent bits of cover when 90% of the enemies use melee and area of effect lob attacks (that ignore cover) you probably will be getting lovely odds. Better to break line of sight at that point in the game.

Section Z posted:

I thought that check was a conversation one? So you can get him to do checks where he does decking, but he doesn't fill your head with the knowledge to talk about decking with other characters.

Erd fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 17, 2015

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Felinoid posted:

Did they bump up the ammo from a two-shot?

I think it was one-shot before. I'm not sure, but I do remember they fixed something to make that last mission easier. Maybe they just bumped the accuracy or something different.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Hong Kong snuck up on me. Feels like just a few months ago I backed it. With how good Dragonfall was, I'm hoping this one is a knockout.

About Dead man's Switch....

Man, DMS really does almost end on a fantastic note. You, Jake, and Coyote (and really, it would have been nice to have Shannon along, too) meet up at the graveyard after killing the Ripper, and together you ice the puppetmaster on the same plot you're lowering Sam to rest. Pretty much everything feels like it's coming full circle there, and then it kind of goes out the window. Jessica runs away, and then, well, bugs.

And yeah, I know you can play it like you're only after the money, but I found DMS most satisfying when playing it like Sam was your buddy, and you're out for revenge, so that would have been a fitting ending. Much better than god drat bugs and that Telestrian lore dump and Harlequin BS.

And I'm curious here. Any of the old school Shadowrun fans or tabletop players like Harlequin and, well, all the cameos, as presented so far in the games?

And it's kind of interesting you can play both installments of Shadowrun as a revenge story. It works. I got no problem with it, and if they do it again in HK, that's just fine. Also, Coyote is great.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

And I'm curious here. Any of the old school Shadowrun fans or tabletop players like Harlequin and, well, all the cameos, as presented so far in the games?

Harlequin, like all efforts that stem from seeing Shadowrun as Fantasy With Cyberpunk Elements rather than Cyberpunk With Fantasy Elements, sucks.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Pope Guilty posted:

Harlequin, like all efforts that stem from seeing Shadowrun as Fantasy With Cyberpunk Elements rather than Cyberpunk With Fantasy Elements, sucks.

Fair point. I'm just curious if he, or anyone else, holds any special reverence with old school peoples. Like, a lot of the Mass Effect cameos in 2 and 3 could be obnoxious or feel shoehorned, but some of them really worked. A lot of that is based on familiarity with the character. I had no previous connection to any of these people, so I was just kinda like get the gently caress outta here with these nerds.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Helical Nightmares posted:

HK will have stealth?
Question from the last thread, but based on visioncones.gif looks like at least the Matrix will have stealth mechanics. If it's in there it's not much of a leap to have it in non-Matrix scenarios, though my own speculation would be that could be a wiz-bang feature to hold back for the mini-campaign.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man I really gotta finish SR before starting Dragonfall. only thing that ever bothered me about the initial game was how bland every goddamn spell looks. Fireball, flamethrower, lightning, you name it. It all comes out looking like a tiny generic orb of whatever. Just looks so pathetic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SirFozzie posted:

the fact that you have to deal with one of the biggest Marty Stu's in Shadowrun history (the immortal Elf Harlequin)
I remember Harlequin showing up near the end and being all "look at me, I'm so mysterious!" but that's it. What's he do that's so obnoxious? Or is it only annoying if you know the backstory? (I've never read/played anything to do with Shadowrun before DMS)

CommissarMega posted:

Honestly, with the exception of the last mission I didn't find SR too bad. It does have that 'first effort' air about it though, but even so there's a lot of fun to be had.
The main problem I had with it is that the tone abruptly shifts in about the last third of the game. Up to that point it's all noir-style, and then it sort of turns into a D&D go kill the evil cultists and their monster thing.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I wasn't aware Blitz was that disliked.
I haven't quite finished Dragonfall yet, but I've been bringing Blitz along on every mission and he seems OK to me. Better than Glory, character-wise, since her thing is really obvious early on but you have to keep teasing more bits of the story out of her just to hear what you already figured out. And more consistent than Dietrich, who starts out cool - he's this veteran mentor type, but then about half way through the roles shift and suddenly he's coming to you for advice, and that seemed pretty dumb, given how little you know about him (or anything, assuming you take the "feed me lore" conversation options).

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Besides, it's not like Dietrich was a particularly great Shaman either and Glory's a glass canon that kind of sucks unless you know exactly how to exploit her potential, at which point she's game breaking. Eiger is really the only NPC companion who is good at what she does with no strings attached.
Is there more to exploiting Glory than having Dietrich cast the +1 AP spell on her to combine with her adrenal pump and then having her ninja-claw everyone? Because that's what I've been doing, and it seems to work pretty well. She doesn't seem to take noticeably more damage than anyone else.

Actually, I haven't taken Eiger on a single mission I didn't have to, since I'm playing as a troll who's good with guns - I figured I didn't need two of those.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

And yeah, I know you can play it like you're only after the money, but I found DMS most satisfying when playing it like Sam was your buddy, and you're out for revenge, so that would have been a fitting ending.
Even if you're just out for the money, that would still be a better ending.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked Harlequin in the game, he's just there to tease the bigger picture but I think it's an effective use of him, as sort of a trickster-god.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Hakkesshu posted:

I liked Harlequin in the game, he's just there to tease the bigger picture but I think it's an effective use of him, as sort of a trickster-god.
Not saying that I like how he came off in SRR but I agree there are effective uses for him. It takes decent writing and restraint. I always felt he's better served as a Shadowland BBS commenter than as a supporting character. He's at his best when he hints at things that could possibly be going on behind the scenes and when there are others who call him out on his condescending bullshit.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
He's part of the effort to tie Shadowrun to FASA's fantasy game Earthdawn via the Horrors, and everything involving the Horrors, including Dunkelzahn's assassination being magical suicide to fight them, sucks.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The ending of Dead Man's Switch is ironic because Telestrian was Sam's half-brother and if you ask for money as a reward, he pays you what Sam promised in the first place. But Sam's a deadbeat loser who lied to you from beyond the grave, but you won't know that until after you've chosen to get McClusky fired and anything else.

Tiggum posted:

I haven't quite finished Dragonfall yet, but I've been bringing Blitz along on every mission and he seems OK to me. Better than Glory, character-wise, since her thing is really obvious early on but you have to keep teasing more bits of the story out of her just to hear what you already figured out. And more consistent than Dietrich, who starts out cool - he's this veteran mentor type, but then about half way through the roles shift and suddenly he's coming to you for advice, and that seemed pretty dumb, given how little you know about him (or anything, assuming you take the "feed me lore" conversation options).

Is there more to exploiting Glory than having Dietrich cast the +1 AP spell on her to combine with her adrenal pump and then having her ninja-claw everyone? Because that's what I've been doing, and it seems to work pretty well. She doesn't seem to take noticeably more damage than anyone else.

Actually, I haven't taken Eiger on a single mission I didn't have to, since I'm playing as a troll who's good with guns - I figured I didn't need two of those.

Exactly! Blitz is a lovable idiot with an inflated sense of ego and the times you can pop that ego and make him face the stark reality of the situation makes it worth it, you feel like he is actually maturing as he goes on runs with the team to the point he's more than willing to stick around with the team and be an official member once the events of Dragonfall are over. He's earned his place with the team.

For Glory, you basically want to Haste her, cast Aim on her, Strip Armor on the enemy you want her to attack, have her use her Adrenal Pump and then let her ninja-claw everyone, yes. The base damage isn't great but she frequently gets criticals and has stacking bleed damage too, so they'll lose HP per round. You can use her pistol burst fire too in a pinch and her medkits are really useful to patch the team up during a fight.

Eiger's great at close range and long range combat but kind of lovely at medium range combat until you do her personal mission, then she gets a medium range weapon that crits almost every time with burst fire.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Part of the deal with Glory is that melee takes people's cover bonus away. So if you can have her go in and cut somebody, then you can give Eiger a chance to crit without having to flank. Add in that she's fast enough to potentially do it twice or even three times with haste, and she's a huge boost to the team's damage output.

Plus her design is cool as hell.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Mr. Fortitude posted:

For Glory, you basically want to Haste her, cast Aim on her, Strip Armor on the enemy you want her to attack,

well sure, but this also works to make Blitz better, Eiger better, etc ...

and people diss Dietrich for not being powerful enough despite the fact that he's your source for all of this. Those people are wrong. Dumb and wrong. :colbert:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Psion posted:

well sure, but this also works to make Blitz better, Eiger better, etc ...

and people diss Dietrich for not being powerful enough despite the fact that he's your source for all of this. Those people are wrong. Dumb and wrong. :colbert:

Blitz only really works as a Decker and someone who can mark targets to make them easier to hit or cause confusion if you do his personal quest. Eiger doesn't get the Adrenal Injection that Glory does and never hits the same AP and none of her weapons do bleeding damage or flush people out of cover, so she works best in conjunction with Glory.

Dietrich's biggest problem is that he's skilled in all areas of being a shaman but not exactly amazing at any of them. He never gets the best version of the Haste spell, he never gets the best version of damage dealing spells and throwing weapons are some of the worst weapons in the game to use. He's useful enough to take with you if you don't have any other magic using character but even if you're playing as a mage instead of a shaman, you're probably better off throwing a couple of points into Conjuring and doing it yourself.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

One thing I should note is that they added the ability to buy spells and give them to your NPC companions. Giving Dietrich Haste 2 when he has Haste 3 (or whatever) is incredible for making him an actual real magical powerhouse. I agree by default his selection isn't exactly great but he'd be gamebreaking if it were. With the ability to give him spells, it's pretty drat great.

I routinely go entire games where Dietrich never throws a single knife and casts maybe two offensive spells. He's too busy perma-buffing my entire team.

e: whoops, wrong thread

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 17, 2015

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

So what is everyone thinking of a build for HK?

I was planning on going Pistols as my core combat ability and either some low/midrange spell casting or melee weapons. I typically like to go relatively heavy charisma my first time through but I'll probably just do that for my second run.

Is it the 20th yet? :parrot:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I refuse to post in this thread until it gets a witty subtitle.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Same thing I've done for the last 2, roleplay my BladeRunner fantasies. Pure pistol with high charisma, street and security background. Rick Deckard is on the case!
Have to find another custom portrait, seemed to have misplaced the one I used to use.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Someone message a mod and get this thread a witty subtitle STAT.

Pope Guilty posted:

He's part of the effort to tie Shadowrun to FASA's fantasy game Earthdawn via the Horrors, and everything involving the Horrors, including Dunkelzahn's assassination being magical suicide to fight them, sucks.

Although, the "unintended consequences" ending for Dragonfall DC owns in a pretty depressing way.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Elf decker with badass laser sunglasses portrait and secondary rigging skills :c00l:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Probably something boring like a maximum gun SS.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

cheesetriangles posted:

I refuse to post in this thread until it gets a witty subtitle.

yeah this no subtitle situation is shameful, especially since Hong Kong comes out in three days. I vote the subtitle refers to pork buns making you a whole man a la Sleeping Dogs. Maybe an essence joke or something, but ... effort.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Psion posted:

yeah this no subtitle situation is shameful, especially since Hong Kong comes out in three days

What! For some reason I thought it was still the 10th for purposes of Hong Kong coming out and didn't realize it was due out Thursday. Hell, yes!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Pope Guilty posted:

What! For some reason I thought it was still the 10th for purposes of Hong Kong coming out and didn't realize it was due out Thursday. Hell, yes!

you can redeem your key off backerkit right now if you haven't. I have HK sitting in my steam inventory, taunting me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Psion posted:

you can redeem your key off backerkit right now if you haven't. I have HK sitting in my steam inventory, taunting me.

I already ran the key through Steam, just for some reason thought we were about a week ago.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Psion posted:

I've had it there since it first hit steam :(

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Going to run cybered-up Elf Street Sam focusing on guns, because I never rolled any of those things in the previous two games.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

The title is witty enough as it is :colbert:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Does having a DMS/DF savegame do anything for Hong Kong?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

that title isnt witty at all!!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Psion posted:

Occasionally I'll accidentally click on it instead of dragonfall. :(

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Does having a DMS/DF savegame do anything for Hong Kong?

No.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I've been thinking gun shaman and may go with that. Even though you get a rat shaman as a companion I have a feeling that there will be more shamany stuff coming in HK.

Luke lots of spirit dealing or something.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Tragically, real Hong Kong is losing a lot of its signature neon signs.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

fennesz posted:

I was planning on going Pistols as my core combat ability and either some low/midrange spell casting or melee weapons. I typically like to go relatively heavy charisma my first time through but I'll probably just do that for my second run.

Is it the 20th yet? :parrot:

Probably unarmed adept. It is Hong Kong after all, so I got to pretend I'm Goku or something.

Psion posted:

yeah this no subtitle situation is shameful, especially since Hong Kong comes out in three days. I vote the subtitle refers to pork buns making you a whole man a la Sleeping Dogs. Maybe an essence joke or something, but ... effort.

Why don't you have a cyberdeck in your hand?
A man who never eats soybun, never a whole man!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

fennesz posted:

Mentioned last thread, but I'm thinking dorf or human combat mage, with flamethrower/lightning bolt as well as fireball/manaball/ball lightning at levels such that the cooldowns let you do an area attack every single round if needed.

Might have Armor/Aim just for times where there's no great shot to be had.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Good news is SR:HK drops Thurs, bad news is I'll be out of town until Monday :'(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gonna try a revolutionary new build. Assault Rifle Orc Street Samurai.

The gamechanger.

• Locked thread