Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rascyc posted:

No they are all pretty mediocre, just hit up steam workshop and sort by popularity and hope for the best. The two mentioned in the OP are the ones anyone ever talks about and that is not an SA only phenomena.

It just says "There's a couple out there" as far as I can see, not which ones they are. Is it Shadowrun Unlimited and Antumbra Saga? I've never downloaded anything off Steam Workshop before and I'm not really sure what I'm looking at here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Tiggum posted:

It just says "There's a couple out there" as far as I can see, not which ones they are. Is it Shadowrun Unlimited and Antumbra Saga? I've never downloaded anything off Steam Workshop before and I'm not really sure what I'm looking at here.

I'm about (I think) halfway through Antumbra Saga, its pretty alright. Like not as polished as the official stuff, but the story is decent and shadowrunny like. It takes place in San Francisco after the Japanese invaded and took it over, and you get wrapped up in the politics of that.

The only thing else I've tried is the shadowrun snes remake which captures the feel of the game (for better or worse) but its still pretty janky. I kept running into an issue with companions not transitioning with me to new screens and gave up little over halfway through it.

Edit: Antumbra also deserves honorable mention that even though your hub takes place in a dance club its so far been really absent that much weird or creepy "edgy" sexual stuff.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 18, 2015

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Magni posted:

Two days until release and as a Kickstarter backer, :siren:I'd say let's celebrate with a little lottery!:siren:

Hooray for generosity! I'd love a shot at one of the HK codes.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Magni posted:

Two days until release and as a Kickstarter backer, :siren:I'd say let's celebrate with a little lottery!:siren:

- Thursday evening local time (GMT+1), two people are going to get a Shadowrun Hong Kong steam code.
- Two people are going to get a Shadowrun Returns code.
- Two people are going to get a Dragonfall Director's Cut code.

These will be three seperate draws, but you can enter all three if you don't have any of the games (you poor bastard). Just post in here which one of the three you're interested in (please specify this, otherwise I won' enter you) before Thursday 18:00 GMT+1 and you'll enter the draw. Code can be delivered via forums PM or e-mail after the lucky winners are determined. Good luck, everyone.

Edit: Thanks to Everything Counts, the pot has been stocked up. We now have two copies of SRR and Dragonfall DC in the cup!

That's really nice. I'd like to try for the Hong Kong and Dragonfall DC keys, please.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Magni posted:

That's awesome, you're awesome! Count me in for Hong Kong, please.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Magni posted:

- Thursday evening local time (GMT+1), two people are going to get a Shadowrun Hong Kong steam code.

These will be three seperate draws, but you can enter all three if you don't have any of the games (you poor bastard). Just post in here which one of the three you're interested in (please specify this, otherwise I won' enter you) before Thursday 18:00 GMT+1 and you'll enter the draw. Code can be delivered via forums PM or e-mail after the lucky winners are determined. Good luck, everyone.

Edit: Thanks to Everything Counts, the pot has been stocked up. We now have two copies of SRR and Dragonfall DC in the cup!

I'd love a shot at Hong Kong! Somehow I keep missing these guys' KSes. Thanks a bunch! :)

e: if a winner, I have PMs.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 20, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Count me in for Hong Kong!

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Magni posted:

Id really love a shot at a copy of Hong Kong!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I'd take a shot at Hong Kong. Loved the first two, financial difficulties and whatnot prevented me from getting on the HK train at the time.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Magni posted:

I've never played Shadowrun Returns but I'd sure love to try!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do I get my code from Backerkit? 'Sign up' seems to be for people who have projects, not people who are backers.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

The Lone Badger posted:

How do I get my code from Backerkit? 'Sign up' seems to be for people who have projects, not people who are backers.

There's a thing under that that'll re-send you a link to your survey, from which you can access your rewards.

Piekuuns
May 15, 2009

Magni posted:

I would like to try Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Followed the Kickstarter at the time, but didn’t back it because I was unsure how good was the previous games.

Lysan Lurraxol
Jun 27, 2013

Magni posted:

Count me in for Hong Kong, please! I loved Dragonfall but the kickstarter for this passed me by for some reason.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Piekuuns posted:

I would like to try Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Followed the Kickstarter at the time, but didn’t back it because I was unsure how good was the previous games.
Well if you're still unsure the first one was just ok bogged down by a terrible third act. They really learned their lessons and made a really good second game. There's no reason to feel that HK isn't going to be as least as solid as the 2nd.

Even if you don't win you really should pick up Dragonfall during the Xmas sale or if it comes up in a daily.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Magni posted:

Thanks for the chance to get some Dragonfall.

edit: Oh wait, I'd like Returns too please.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 18, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

For some reason I thought this was coming out next week and I already started Shadow of Mordor to tide me over to SR:HK which will tide me over to MGSV. :v:

I own all the games and backed this one so don't even accidentally enter me into anything.

Zawath
Sep 9, 2011

Magni posted:

Hong Kong for me please.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Eh, might as well. I'd like to try my luck at Hong Kong, thanks.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I'm not going to be able to buy hk, so I need to get my fix elsewhere. Are any of the things on the workshop for dragonfall worth playing through?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

For mods, about the only ones that are really worth it are Atumbra Saga, Nightmare Harvest (which is only for Shadowrun Returns, you can play it in the Director's Cut game by copying and pasting the content from your Returns userdata Steam folder but I've no idea how stable it'll be) and maybe Shadowrun Unlimited. None of them are particularly amazing though, to the point that if you do want more Shadowrun you should probably check out the SNES and Genesis games. The SNES game is a mix between an RPG and a point and click adventure game and stars Jake Armitage who appears as an NPC in the Dead Man's Switch campaign for Returns, while the Genesis game is more of an open sandbox with randomly generated runs and Matrix sequences, with a very simple revenge story as dressing. As a side note, the Shadowrun Unlimited UGC is sort of a remake of the Genesis game in that the main story beats are the same but the focus is on sandbox gameplay.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Is the SNES Reboot Alpha Version worthwhile, or does it not compare to the actual snes version?

I think i will check out sr unlimited though.

edit: And antumbra, since it interested me anyways.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

For mods, about the only ones that are really worth it are Atumbra Saga, Nightmare Harvest (which is only for Shadowrun Returns, you can play it in the Director's Cut game by copying and pasting the content from your Returns userdata Steam folder but I've no idea how stable it'll be) and maybe Shadowrun Unlimited. None of them are particularly amazing though, to the point that if you do want more Shadowrun you should probably check out the SNES and Genesis games. The SNES game is a mix between an RPG and a point and click adventure game and stars Jake Armitage who appears as an NPC in the Dead Man's Switch campaign for Returns, while the Genesis game is more of an open sandbox with randomly generated runs and Matrix sequences, with a very simple revenge story as dressing. As a side note, the Shadowrun Unlimited UGC is sort of a remake of the Genesis game in that the main story beats are the same but the focus is on sandbox gameplay.
A Stitch In Time is also pretty decent. It does have that thing where the design is rough at first and improved over time but it has its poo poo together mostly and a few new mechanics to boot.

E: oh yeah, new thread. When I'm not on my phone I'll dive back and get some more thoughts on it I had while playing through mods.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 18, 2015

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Hello HBS!!!!!!!!! Today is Tuesday and games release on Tuesday so please release this game immediately. I do not care for this "it releases on 8-20" poo poo thank you!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

Is the SNES Reboot Alpha Version worthwhile, or does it not compare to the actual snes version?

I think i will check out sr unlimited though.

edit: And antumbra, since it interested me anyways.

I'm honestly not sure. I tried it a year ago and it seemed very unfinished, don't know how it's progressed since then.

Kenny Logins posted:

A Stitch In Time is also pretty decent. It does have that thing where the design is rough at first and improved over time but it has its poo poo together mostly and a few new mechanics to boot.

E: oh yeah, new thread. When I'm not on my phone I'll dive back and get some more thoughts on it I had while playing through mods.

Isn't that the one where one of the dialogue options is to call someone a Jew because they want your money? That alone put me off trying it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Magni posted:

You's good peoples. I'll try for a Hong Kong code.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Woah, count me in for Hong Kong too!

Magni posted:

Edit2: Also, :siren:If you made a bid, please do me a favour and quote this post in it so I can have an easier time tallying this all up.:shobon::siren:

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 20, 2015

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Isn't that the one where one of the dialogue options is to call someone a Jew because they want your money? That alone put me off trying it.

Kenny Logins posted:

That's Life on a Limb.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Kenny Logins posted:

Nightmare Harvest: Great dialogue and writing in this one. Lots of fun (and karma) to be had. There doesn't appear to be that much for deckers to do but everything else should have a good time. A lot of combat but it's not as much of a grind as From the Shadows, Run. Towards the end it feels a bit rushed and it eventually caves to being a full power trip but it was nice while it lasted. It ties into Shadowrun's setting but not terribly well. Also, really enjoyed the hub design and random encounters such as:

Kenny Logins posted:

...I noticed the jackpoints here and there but I think I only noticed a half-dozen or so in the whole run of it. You do get access to a terminal in your "apartment" which lets you get a lot done as well. I really like that Etiquette: Shadowrunner gets you access to a webstore to buy gear.

The other note I'd have is that cyberware is not really all that available and is pretty expensive. Karma on the other hand is in such great supply I might recommend just being an adept for the passives.
Combat/Encounters: 2.5/5
Writing/Characters: 4/5
Design/Ideas: 4/5
Trash Pile Sexiness: 5/5

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

A whole bunch of :words: about A Stitch in Time:

Kenny Logins posted:

I've started up A Stitch In Time, which I don't think has been named in this thread before. It's been out for a year now and still receives updates. So far ( about a half hour in) it seems promising. It does allow you to hire runners and appears to use a "hub" design with optional sidequests. The only things I've noticed that are missing are any jackpoints or spirit summoning points. It also integrates new cyberware (and weapons, I think?) and a "stealth mechanic" which is interesting.

The writing is at least passable (nothing exciting yet) but it is much more consistent with the Shadowrun setting than the other two UGC I mentioned.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I do find the magical equivalent to cyberware they introduced to be interesting, and that it actually fits in pretty well with the videogame setting (it's been years since I spent time with the PnP game, and then it would've been 2e, so I hesitate to say whether it fits with canonical Shadowrun).

Kenny Logins posted:

The magical equivalent to cyberware in-setting has always been adept powers. The newest edition of the tabletop game specifically includes using tattoos as qi foci (i.e. enchanted items that enable you to act as though you have a given adept power) with the implicit advantage of always being there and being difficult for someone else to remove.

That being said, it would be dumb to have tattoos that gave you adept powers (such as they are) in SRR, so the use of them as no-essence but nuyen-costly "magic cyberware" limited only by your cyberware slots and bankroll is a pretty great idea. All for the simple investment of 1 karma into chi casting. The end result is much closer to tabletop adept power anyway.

All that to say that yeah, A Stitch in Time integrates the core setting fairly well and has a lot of good ideas. I just made it to the second hub and I would say the first hub is easily as long and content-filled as many standalone UGCs I've seen or heard about so far.

Kenny Logins posted:

The one huge failing of NH (no hires, lazy encounters) is the one huge success of A Stitch In Time, if that kind of thing is your jam. Challenging, memorable tactical encounters and you're given not only the ability to hire up to 3 runners (and sometimes get free story NPCs to join) but also some UI hacks to even the score. Still not finished but close! What a great UGC so far.

Kenny Logins posted:

Definitely, definitely take Etiquette: Shadowrunnner as it comes up constantly. You basically make 10-20% extra for literally every payment you receive.

Other than that, the interesting conversation system (which I'll explain more fully later) gives you an alternative to needing a high charisma to get peaceful/stealthy run resolutions. It also rewards high (5) strength, intelligence and willpower stats to get those resolutions as well.

There are other etiquettes (corporate or academic, or else security or gang, and another set I can't recall) that give optional fetch quests but they're only good for a couple karma and some cash (about 1800 nuyen total, with shadowrunner etiquette, for each set of optional etiquettes needed) in the first act. The fetch quest givers show up again in the second act but by then you should have more to play with and they're still ultimately inessential.

Indeed-- I am a fan of taking Corporate and Security as well as Shadowrunner, but it's really nice that you don't have to be a Charisma specialist to have any options beyond "shoot all the mans".

Kenny Logins posted:

Ok, so I just finished A Stitch In Time. First and foremost- no dragons whatsoever are involved in the plot. Secondly, as previously mentioned, it is stuck pre-Dragonfall for the foreseeable future, and the new gear/mechanics/etc from same are indeed missing.

Overall, it's the best UGC I've played and the closest to a bona fide SRR campaign. By the end after its 4 chapters, I finished with a little over 200 karma (and nearly 500 kills), after doing all possible side/fetch quests. In terms of hours, it very might well be as long as DMS (i.e. 7-8 hours) although a good deal of that comes from the combat.

Notable additions it makes to the base game:
  • Free/turn-based mode toggle as well as stash access available by clicking your main character, in or out of combat. This is primarily to allow "stealth mechanics" which enable certain (many) missions to be approached via stealth tactics. Generally it's based on patrols and LOS, and making sure you end turns in cover. Unimpressive at first but overall great mechanic.
  • It also lets you "turn on" combat even in peaceful situations. One exploit to this, with grenades or area spells, is that it allows for situations where NPCs can be injured/killed without initiating their combat. With direct damage maneuvers, clicking "peaceful" NPCs will usually bring them into their combat behaviour. It also allows for tactical positioning and buffs before the poo poo goes down. Lastly, it can give you ambush situations where you get to make the first round of cheap shots for a change.
  • On-demand stash access means that as long as your main character has any AP left, you can go into stash view and place items into your hired runners' hands. Immensely useful and takes a bite out of "mass combat mobs" commonly seen in UGC.
  • Conversation trigger system. Key conversations will have three or so "approaches" (Initimidate, Fast Talk, Charm) in order to get your way out of an NPC. Each approach will have a stat-check (usually 5) or else an Etiquette check tied to it for automatic success, but also 2 or 3 other choices (with one "right" choice). Earlier conversations only need one "right choice" approach success to be successful, later ones might require two stat-check auto-successes or else three "right choices" to win. It is possible to get through most of these conversations without the stats or Etiquettes. The usual reward for the important ones is to talk your way past a fight towards doing a run "stealthily". These remind me a bit of the social battles of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, albeit entirely text-based.
  • Karma awards for "hardboiled" and "stealth runs". Both approaches are valid and challenging in their own way. Most but not all missions have an optional stealth approach, and some have a solo decker approach as well.
  • Optional sidequests. Besides the story missions there are others you can undertake for extra cash, Karma or else other perks (unique spells, weapons, or merchants).
  • Run choices. at a few points in the game, you'll have your choice of three runs to tackle in any order you choose. By way of Etiquette checks from optional quest giver NPCs, you can unlock extra optional objectives to get more Karma, and more money.
  • Safehouse. You'll have a place where you can eventually upgrade to have grenade and medkit dispensers (one at a time, refreshing after runs completed). There's also an auto-doc which can heal you once after each run.
  • Clear instructions. Most of the runs are very well described and if a decker or shaman (i.e. spirit summoner) is useful then you are made aware. Going somewhere that will fire your current runners always has a warning prompt, and at the end of a run you are given the chance to access the stash and strip out any items from your hired runners that you're able to.
  • Interesting tactical combats. These are the closest I've seen so far to what the tabletop game is like in terms of actual shadowruns. There are usually a few different ways to skin the cat and different paths (in terms of your main character, but also your hires) are considered. Enemy types are labelled (melee, weapon type, mage or shaman or rigger, etc) to help you plan.
  • New gear. At first this will mostly be in terms of cyberware. Eventually you will have access to upgrading cyberware, "magic cyberware" in the form of enchanted tattoos, adapting guns to install smartlinks, new spells, guns, etc. Cyberware in particular is tweaked quite well to be a lot more useful.

Bugs are very minimal all things considered and documented on the Steam/Nexus forums-- I only ran into one by chance myself in Chapter 4 which required a reload. The writing is serviceable and the grammar is mostly well-edited. There is the aforementioned "dark sex" angle as you spend chapter 1 in the barrens, but it never gets too cringe-inducing or graphic. There are incidents of attempted rape, human trafficking, and sex work, and while they probably wouldn't impress Anita Sarkeesian they also don't stick out too too badly. They do help paint a picture of how awful the barrens really are supposed to be, although as I've said before it could have been done in other ways.

At the end of the day I highly recommend this one. There is a lot of combat but also lots of other options to bypass it. Many Matrix runs can successfully be done "on the run" for example. The overall quality would have easily stacked up to be a decent SR console title in the PS1 era. It doesn't have the magic of Dragonfall but it also avoids the metaplot well that DMS tends to run to (far too often). I sincerely wish more people would make UGC in this vein, although understandably it's clearly a ton of work.
Combat/Encounters: 4/5
Writing/Characters: 3/5
Design/Ideas: 4.5/5
Titular Line Drops/Justifications: 0/5

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Ok, so looking back, the Kickstarter for Hong Kong concluded on February 17th, 6 months ago. My assumption is they were already working on this well in advance, surely? Even with existing assets and the engine, that's an incredibly brief development cycle.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Ok, so looking back, the Kickstarter for Hong Kong concluded on February 17th, 6 months ago. My assumption is they were already working on this well in advance, surely? Even with existing assets and the engine, that's an incredibly brief development cycle.

Yeah, the Kickstarter was to broaden the scope of the game. They were pretty upfront about it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

They were already working on the game and were going to release it even if the Kickstarter had failed, the Kickstarter was just for adding new features to the engine really.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Antumbra was fair-to-OK for a UGC but it has that problem where too much proceeds turn-by-turn in combat mode. if I'm remembering correctly in the second part there is a combat encounter that is incredibly poorly designed and it takes forever to truck your rear end turn by turn across the map. Also if I'm remembering correctly the encounters tend to be really long-range affairs in wide open areas.

Overall I'd say it was a good average for SRR UGC. You'd never mistake the writing, encounter design for anything near the professional product, but it had some new ideas executed with varying levels of success.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Magni posted:

I'll take an entry for Hong Kong, as it's the only game of the three I don't have, thanks to real life insisting I pay for the septic tank over backing HK.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

Antumbra was fair-to-OK for a UGC but it has that problem where too much proceeds turn-by-turn in combat mode. if I'm remembering correctly in the second part there is a combat encounter that is incredibly poorly designed and it takes forever to truck your rear end turn by turn across the map. Also if I'm remembering correctly the encounters tend to be really long-range affairs in wide open areas.

Overall I'd say it was a good average for SRR UGC. You'd never mistake the writing, encounter design for anything near the professional product, but it had some new ideas executed with varying levels of success.
Well at least it wasn't full of "You are now surrounded by ASSASIANS" typos and bus passengers dropping 20+ pages of setting exposition after being possessed by the exposition devil. I can roll with a few badly conceived encounters that take far too many turns, but yeah it was a little on the "too many of those" side.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Yeah, the Kickstarter was to broaden the scope of the game. They were pretty upfront about it.

I guess I never read the pitch. Just saw HBS was making another installment of Shadowrun and put my money down, no questions needed.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

[Goon] Actually if you would check your privilege...

Magni posted:

Dunno if this is in keeping with the spirit of the competition, but even though I already have all three games ~MY GIRLFRIEND~ only has SRR and would like to play Dragonfall next.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Dunno if this is in keeping with the spirit of the competition, but even though I already have all three games ~MY GIRLFRIEND~ only has SRR and would like to play Dragonfall next.

She want my spare copy?

Seriously, I have a copy in my inventory I'm not using and literally do not care about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I only have one goon on my shitlist for using the "MY GIRLFRIEND" excuse when trying to snag free games and DEM isn't it, so it checks out. I give my thoroughly meaningless approval. :v:

or you could throw it in the prize pool for Magni's drawing.

• Locked thread