Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Character:
Rat is a stealthy thief who is too selfish to share anything, even with his companions. He is a reluctant warrior who would rather run than fight. Where mankind goes, Rat goes too, for who else's bounty can sustain him?

Disadvantages:
Rat shamans are usually dirty and unkempt. Rat is also a coward, but when he MUST fight, he fights to kill. Rat dislikes working out in the open, for a muttered spell from the shadows (or a silenced pistol from a doorway) is more his style.
So what is Dog supposed to represent? Loyalty or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beto Rocha
Jan 2, 2010

Magni posted:

Two days until release and as a Kickstarter backer, :siren:I'd say let's celebrate with a little lottery!:siren:

- Thursday evening local time (GMT+1), two people are going to get a Shadowrun Hong Kong steam code.
- Two people are going to get a Shadowrun Returns code.
- Two people are going to get a Dragonfall Director's Cut code.

These will be three seperate draws, but you can enter all three if you don't have any of the games (you poor bastard). Just post in here which one of the three you're interested in (please specify this, otherwise I won' enter you) before Thursday 18:00 GMT+1 and you'll enter the draw. Code can be delivered via forums PM or e-mail after the lucky winners are determined. Good luck, everyone.

Edit: Thanks to Everything Counts, the pot has been stocked up. We now have two copies of SRR and Dragonfall DC in the cup!

I would love me some Hong Kong, please!

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Sylphosaurus posted:

I think Dog is dead or something. Like, the Dog totem literally does not exist anymore. But I don't remember why. Wolf and Coyote are still around though.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Sylphosaurus posted:

Character:
Dog is loyal to friends and family. He fights furiously to defend his home and holdings, but is not generally aggressive outside his own territory. Dog loves people and defends them pitilessly from dangerous spirits or evil magic. Once a Dog shaman gives his loyalty or love, he sticks to it even if the person he loves is unworthy. A Dog shaman will try to protect humanity from evil magicians at any cost.

Disadvantages:
Dog is single-minded to the point of stubbornness. A Dog shaman must make a Willpower (4) test to change his plans or tactics. The test itself requires one Action as Dog struggles to change his mind.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Captain Oblivious posted:

So lore wise what is the deal with Rat? I'm trying to get a handle on what to expect from Gobbet. I'm guessing Rat is essentially a survivalist totem.

Section Z posted:

Yes, but rats are "Icky" so according to RPG logic, so is a rat shaman :pseudo: :eng99:

I'd assume there is some Handwaves that "The Rat totem is more the IDEA of a Rat than a literal one" and so on, or something. I haven't read a shadowrun source book since the second edition was new, so obviously I'm hazy.

(I wanted to make a go ganger adept out for revenge against spirits that killed his gang, by punching ghosts to death :downs:)

Sylphosaurus posted:

From 3e, on what Rat (and Dog) could represent to a person:

quote:

Ideals: Each totem embodies an ideal, a mythic image or archetype. By seeking to embody the same ideal, the shaman gains magical power. To maintain their magic, shamans must follow their totem’s ideals.

Of course, not all shamans interpret their totem’s ideals in exactly the same way. Some Dog shamans may be fierce warriors while others are gentle scholars, but neither is likely to refuse to help someone in need. Not all Shark shamans are brutal killers (some are quite sophisticated), but Shark never backs down from a fight. Not all Raccoon shamans are thieves; some prefer solving puzzles and intellectual challenges. Within the basic ideals of the totem, there is room for individual style and interpretation.
It's an archetype. The culture of the shaman has definitely been underlined before as having an effect on the totem. In fact, certain (splat) totems aren't typically accessible at all for, say, a non-European or non-Asian, because the archetype has no recognition in North America.

Martello posted:

I think Dog is dead or something. Like, the Dog totem literally does not exist anymore. But I don't remember why. Wolf and Coyote are still around though.
In 5e tabletop core rules it's still a choice :confused:

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 19, 2015

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
For HK I think I'm going to build an Elf Street Samurai using ARs. Should I spec him into a secondary weapon as well (I was thinking Pistols) or should it be fine to stick to ARs? I'm worried that there could be instances where you don't have the medium+ range where ARs are effective so pistols seem like a good fallback weapon.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Is there any word on if they've ventured to implement stealth for this iteration? I heard something along the lines that they were looking at adding that or Astral space, but I haven't followed dev diaries or anything.
From the skillset of the stock team members I'm guessing no.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Furism posted:

For HK I think I'm going to build an Elf Street Samurai using ARs. Should I spec him into a secondary weapon as well (I was thinking Pistols) or should it be fine to stick to ARs? I'm worried that there could be instances where you don't have the medium+ range where ARs are effective so pistols seem like a good fallback weapon.

AR's are always good, basically. Especially because a PC character is built way better compared to NPC most of the time. I'd suggest picking up a secondary skillset instead, decking is the obvious one, but I also like rigging, and as you probably want some points into charisma for etiquettes anyway: spirit summoning or shaman stuff can also help. Even if you destroy your essence with cyberware, being able to caste haste at the start of combat/using your totem when you have nothing to shoot is pretty helpful! Rigging or summoning do take AP away from your main character, which is probably bad as your AR will output more damage than any other creature in the game. I like having the option though, and having a drone gives you lots of neat little tactical options using vents.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Furism posted:

You should worry about your ranged stat primarily, that's what lets you actually EQUIP guns, as well as your accuracy. (8 Ranged for the best anything in Dragonfall, compared to 6 in DMS).

The weapon specific skills just unlock the skills listed on the tree, and increase your crit chance a little bit each point. You can only raise gun specific skills as high as your ranged stat already is, and you can only raise your ranged as high as your DEX (Rifle covers Assault rifles, and sniper rifles).

I'd focus on just one specific gun, but you can spread it around a bit if you aren't reaching for stuff that needs 9 loving points like Pistols "Disarming shot".

I admit I'm kind of mentally preparing myself for any other cost increases to use gear in Hong Kong. In DMS, guns and spells were 6 tops (7 for decks/drones). In Dragongall, you need 8 tops (still 7 for decks and drones), and they made it so mages also need INT too (The help files only mention they need Wisdom).

So uh, don't be surprised if equipment requirements do in fact, need weapon specific skills and the first you hear of it is the shop screen telling you that you are under the brand new requirements.

Fake Edit: Oh right. "Smartguns" Need you to have a datajack to get their benefits compared to normal guns. You basically plug them in for robocop vision (I think it translates to a max range bonus in these games).

Real Edit: Pistols also need a lot of points to become worthwhile in the first place. Such as 4 points to get free reloads, 6 points for double tap, 7 for chain shot. NINE for disarming shot (I've never unlocked disarming shot). Revolvers can only use the free reloads aid "aim one shot good" skills.

By comparison, Rifles unlock burst fire at 2 points, Full auto at 3.

Though these are Dragonfall skills, HK may very well have an entirely revamped skill tree. But you get the idea, Rifles you can slap a few points on it and have the important stuff done. "Good at pistols" requires investment and you are better off bringing a gun you have zero skill in at the start of the game until it's worth using them over other stuff. But "Good At Pistols" is very satisfying :clint:

"Finally, I can ditch this SMG and us a REAL GUN!" *lands more hits per turn with a pistol than an SMG*

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 19, 2015

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

All mage, all the time. The the options for a mage NPC have sucked in the last two games, and don't see any good options for it in the HK roster. Gotta stack that CC.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Thanks for the tips. Full AR it is!

Little_Viking
Aug 23, 2007
Raiding Lindisfarne since 793AD.

Magni posted:

Two days until release and as a Kickstarter backer, :siren:I'd say let's celebrate with a little lottery!:siren:

- Thursday evening local time (GMT+1), two people are going to get a Shadowrun Hong Kong steam code.

These will be three seperate draws, but you can enter all three if you don't have any of the games (you poor bastard). Just post in here which one of the three you're interested in (please specify this, otherwise I won' enter you) before Thursday 18:00 GMT+1 and you'll enter the draw. Code can be delivered via forums PM or e-mail after the lucky winners are determined. Good luck, everyone.

Edit: Thanks to Everything Counts, the pot has been stocked up. We now have two copies of SRR and Dragonfall DC in the cup!

Thanks, I'd like to sign up for Hong Kong.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Lmao if you aren't planning on transforming your body into a hideous amalgamation of flesh and chrome.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Pwnstar posted:

Lmao if you aren't planning on transforming your body into a hideous amalgamation of flesh and chrome.

My glorious adept shall not defile his body in such a manner! He shall instead stunlock people to death with his enlightened baseball bat.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

gfanikf posted:

This is more a question about SR:DF:DC, but was the game considered universally slow on all Android tablets? I mean I've played a little of it on the PC and I don't recall it being as painful as it is on there. It's great for killing time during the commute...but man is it slow. Still considering how cheap it was I feel bad complaining at all.

Short answer: yes.
Long answer: yes, and that's why there will be no tablet version of Hong Kong.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Magni posted:

I'd love to get into that Hong Kong drawing. I missed the Kickstarter for it, and money's a little too tight for me to be buying video games right now.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Magni posted:

I'd love to be entered for Hong Kong!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
What are the downsides of having a low essence? I can't remember it being anything more than just flavor in the first two games.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Pwnstar posted:

Exactly. Load me up head to toe with that poo poo.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Furism posted:

What are the downsides of having a low essence? I can't remember it being anything more than just flavor in the first two games.

Every point of essence lost adds an extra cooldown point to your spells if you're a mage, shaman or adept.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Also you lose spell slots, iirc at 1 essence you have a max of 3.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Exactly. Load me up head to toe with that poo poo.

I am disappointed that so few people are planning to use cyberweapons.

I want to have robotic knife hands.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Fully auged-up decker+ranged weapons will be my first run through, just like in dragonfall.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Emong posted:

Hey, do you know where I can get some COBRA cyberware?

Wait, wrong setting.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Samopsa posted:

Fully auged-up decker+ranged weapons will be my first run through, just like in dragonfall.
Yep, this. Instead of ARs I'll probably go pistols (or cyberweapons, I don't know much about them) just for my own flavor, but I'm going to hack my way into everything and cyberware myself to hell and back.

e: vvvv Pretty sure street sams are supposed to end up more metal than person by the end of the campaign. What are cyberweapons anyhow? I didn't even know they were an option in HK.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 19, 2015

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Every point of essence lost adds an extra cooldown point to your spells if you're a mage, shaman or adept.

So a Street Samurai doesn't care?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Emong posted:

I don't even remember cyber weapons in the previous two games! Were there any?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Furism posted:

No. That said, my go-to build in Dragonfall involves putting two points in Willpower and Spellcasting for Heal Wounds and Armor 1 as well as two (later four) points in Conjuring for Haste and I found myself balking at going any lower than 3 Essence so I stuck to the higher-end cyberware and the Sutterlin run bioware.

e:

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I don't even remember cyber weapons in the previous two games! Were there any?

There weren't any, they were a HK stretch goal.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

There weren't any, they were a HK stretch goal.

Well this is gonna be cool then, possibly. Still gonna be a gun elf first, but drat, cyber weapons are cool as hell.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Furism posted:

Unless you want a few adept passive buffs, no.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

All mage, all the time. The the options for a mage NPC have sucked in the last two games, and don't see any good options for it in the HK roster. Gotta stack that CC.

I wonder why that is. I don't suspect that they intended for the player to steer towards playing Mage but it's kind of an odd coincidence that (as far as we know) there hasn't been a proper Mage character you can use or recruit that isn't randomly generated. Dragonfall had five mercs, none of them Mages and some were even redundant archetypes (Alnur as backup decker, Pummelo as backup Shaman). There might be a merc Mage in HK but if there isn't, the only non-PC non-randomly generated playable Mage will have been James, and James was a bitch-rear end bitch.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Chrome is like amphetamines. You start out light, just looking for that edge to help you professionally. Then one thing leads to another and you're moonlighting in the seedier parts of town, ripping out spines with your cyberarm so you can afford your next fix.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Speaking of fixes, I hope they have Cram and Jazz in HK. I'm jonesin'.

Also, my rifle crackhead build depends on those.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I wonder why that is. I don't suspect that they intended for the player to steer towards playing Mage but it's kind of an odd coincidence that (as far as we know) there hasn't been a proper Mage character you can use or recruit that isn't randomly generated. Dragonfall had five mercs, none of them Mages and some were even redundant archetypes (Alnur as backup decker, Pummelo as backup Shaman). There might be a merc Mage in HK but if there isn't, the only non-PC non-randomly generated playable Mage will have been James, and James was a bitch-rear end bitch.

I dunno, but being able to rotate some combination of Wipe, Blind, Confuse and Petrify to completely disable 1-3 enemies every fight, in addition to haste buffing your primary DPS so they can mulch whoever isn't CC'ed is too good to pass up.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Can you goons give me some recommendations for optimal character builds for both DMS and Dragonfall? Going to play both again and want to experience as much dialog content as possible and have a relatively effective combat character.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Pwnstar posted:

Character:
Dog is loyal to friends and family. He fights furiously to defend his home and holdings, but is not generally aggressive outside his own territory. Dog loves people and defends them pitilessly from dangerous spirits or evil magic. Once a Dog shaman gives his loyalty or love, he sticks to it even if the person he loves is unworthy. A Dog shaman will try to protect humanity from evil magicians at any cost.

Disadvantages:
Dog is single-minded to the point of stubbornness. A Dog shaman must make a Willpower (4) test to change his plans or tactics. The test itself requires one Action as Dog struggles to change his mind.
Just to take it a little further, Dog shamans get bonuses to detection spells. In the newer editions, they also get bonus dice to Tracking, and Dog adepts get better get 2 free Improved Sense powers.

Also in the new editions, Rat is further described thus:

quote:

Rat is found wherever humans and the things they discard are, for what other bounty can sustain him? Rat is a scavenger, a stealthy thief who takes what he needs to survive. He dislikes working out in the open, preferring to stick to the shadows. Rat avoids fights whenever he can— when he must fight, he fights to kill quickly and move on.

Disadvantages
A Rat magician must make a Charisma + Willpower (3) Test to not immediately flee or seek cover whenever caught in a combat situation. If there is nowhere to flee, she is forced to fight.
Similar Archetypes: Survival, Scavenging
They downplay utter greed/selfishness. Rat now gets bonus dice to Sneaking and Alchemy (when harvesting ingredients) and have more flexibility in using ingredients, and Rat adepts have free levels of Natural Immunity.

In the tabletop, totems usually have disadvantages that force an ability check to go "against character" for the core concept of the totem. Sometimes the worst ones are the berserker disadvantages, in a game where running from combat is a smart idea. Dog and Rat are not the worst in terms of team cohesion but Dog's disadvantage can be annoying when plans change rapidly. I find the implementation of totems in SRR/DF to be pretty "meh" by comparison, although I also don't really like much of anything shamans do with their spells (hoping HK turns that around a bit).

For a roleplaying perspective, in the society where the shaman finds themselves, most people would look down on someone who has known proclivities (bonuses) towards combat spells due to their totem, since 95% of their spells revolve around hurting/killing/stunning and property damage. Ironically the Dragonslayer totem in 5e gives bonuses to combat spells even though Dietrich sucks at them.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Gyshall posted:

Can you goons give me some recommendations for optimal character builds for both DMS and Dragonfall? Going to play both again and want to experience as much dialog content as possible and have a relatively effective combat character.
Dragonfall:
Get Security, Street and Academic as etiquettes, they open up quite some dialog. Academic is there mainly for one of the final conversations in the game, so you can pick it up later.

This needs some charisma, so get some shaman levels as well. Just get enough to be able to cast haste 3 eventually, it's all you need, the totem is bonus. Also opens up some conversations.
Then you have to choose going either rigger/decker or wizard. Wizard opens up some conversation options, especially aura reads which is p. cool! Being able to buff aim/armor and strip armor/petrify is really nice too.
Rigging/decking opens up lots of little shortcuts basically, not that much extra dialogue but you can skip fights and stuff. Also, going decker/rigger lets you leave Blitz at home so you can take Glory, Eiger and Dietrich instead.

e: also for combat it does not really matter what you do, your NPC can basically handle the game as is, so don't worry too much. All builds are effective in this game.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Gyshall posted:

SRR: Human or elf Street Samurai: 6 Quickness / 6 Ranged / 6 Rifle with 6 Dodge, 3-6 in each Body and Willpower for soaking damage, the rest in Charisma (even numbers for Etiquettes) will get you through the game easy. You end up with 200-225 Karma so it's pretty attainable. I didn't bother with cyberware but you could since there's no real downside to it. I don't remember what etiquettes are good but I'd say Corporate and Security because why not.

Dragonfall: Human or dwarf combat mage: Willpower and Spellcasting are most important (both ending up at 6 or 7 ideally), filling out Body and Quickness (and Dodge) to about 4-6. You'll need to keep an eye on Intelligence for the end-game spells. Definitely no cyberware that costs essence. Get at least 2 area spells (i.e. manaball and fireball) so once you dig into a good spot you can magically grenade groups over and over as opportunities arise. Flamethrower is a great direct damage spell, Lightning Bolt can be useful for occasional AP damage, your remaining 1-2 spells I'd say Heal Wound and/or Ball Lightning. Powerbolt is nice as a backup but not necessary to prioritize (but don't bother with firearms either). Good etiquettes are Corporate, Security, and Gang. Academic also opens up some cool dialogue options. Biotech of at least 2 is a good idea as well to see enemy HP and higher for some optional content/Karma awards.

If a combat mage isn't your style, the SRR build will also work but might be boring to play a second time. Having a Magic rating does open some dialogue on its own (gives you Aura Reading).

Also, while we're at it, everyone who refers to Willpower as Wisdom in this thread (and the end of the last one) is killing me.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 19, 2015

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Magni posted:

I'd love to enter. I have none of the games, sadly. However, I feel guilty trying to enter for all three, so from what I have read the Dragonfall Director's Cut might suit me best.

Thanks Magni, (and Everything Counts) you're a hero doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gyshall posted:

If you want every dialogue options, make an Elf and give yourself enough Karma to give yourself max Charisma (you still can't get every etiquette, so in DF skip Shadowrunners). As for other stats, here are two links with (almost?) every dialogue check in the DF campaign.

• Locked thread