Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

RasterPunk posted:

Thanks for this Let's Play; I appreciate channels that are dedicated to showcasing games that fell into obscurity.

Anytime! Unless I'm dead or somethin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Have a teaser of sorts for one of the upcoming Second Attack bonus videos in the form of some gifs of Pommy's previously featured forms:

Edit: If there's no updates on any of Thorn or the StrawHatNO! group's LPs this week, it's due to him having jury duty during it. Please be patient, folks!

ElTipejoLoco fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 15, 2016

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Looper posted:

ALSO hey yeah a bunch of names in this game are drawn from judeochristian mythology:
Lilith is the wife of Adam
Rukifellth is a weirdo version of Lucifer ya
Baelfael is uh...probably Belphegor? idk but you may know him from SMT as the demon chilling on a toilet
Behemos is the Behemoth, beast of the land (contrast with Leviathan)
Ashtarth is Astaroth, a classical demon and sometimes one of the big dudes of Hell
Zhael, I have no idea, maybe Bael? a lot of these names run together because they're way older than christianity and draw from many old sources
Molok is...Moloch, old school demon that cameos as a weird snow dog thing in Golden Sun
Zoniha uhhhhhhhhhh next please
Bulzeeb is Beelzebub, your buddy the Lord of the Flies

None of this really means anything but I'm a sucker for themed names. The thing Loco was trying to remember is the Lesser Key of Solomon, a big ol' book on demonology that video games love to steal names from

Out of curiosity I went to the Japanese Wikipedia entry for Bomberman the Second Attack and used google translate, and Zoniha came out as Zonia.
And upon looking into that, she was either named after a bug, is a derivative of Amazons ala AmaZONIA, or to get REALLY out there she's a mutation of Sonia which is it'self a variation of Sophie which sounds like Zoffy which is an Ultraman character who are alien people made of Light.

I'm banking on the Amazon thing.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Jury duty is over, and likewise I have a nice big update to finish off The Second Attack!

Loco might have one more video for us, but for now the LP is complete. Thanks again to Loco for playing this game for us; it was a very pleasant change.

-------------------

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
:toot: We did it.

You may be able to tell without me pointing it out, but for some of the Pommyvolutions I had to hook up a second controller. Mainly to show off how much damage some moves do, and for Shadow and Pixie Pommies' second abilities that the AI doesn't use reliably. Well, at least in the case of the ice-breath thing; The AI loves using Pixie Pommy's heart randomly instead of teleporting back to you normally, to the extent that they'll waste their once-per-room-use whilst you're at full health instead of when you needed it.

I gave Thorn an hour and a half-ish video for Battle mode; as you can see it was very repetitive. Showing off every Challenge mode's 5th level, every supposedly COM only (hold Z when pressing A to select them as a human player) character, and every stage (and their Sudden Death) available across all the game modes took that long, and I'm pretty sure I accidentally revisited two stages from challenge mode in the process. Whoops.

Anyway, back to working on that video Thorn hinted at. :ssh:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry ElTipe, I still fondly remember Bomberman Generation, even if the long past LP made it seem not as good as I remembered. I used to think that Eagle Bomber's intro was the poo poo for some reason too. Turns out you can leave out the 'the' part.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I dunno if anyone who works for Discover is watching, Wang, but the company I work for takes Discover. We don't like AmEx though, 'cuz they charge us more money for processing than anyone else.

Having chimed in with this useless fact, I shall go back to watching Loco blow things up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think Regulus liking Pommy is cute and helps show that he's something more than just an edgelord with a bone to pick with Bomberman for getting his rear end beaten two games in a row :3:

About Pommy himself, that's a lot more forms than I expected. Quite varied, too. That said, did Bomberman steal him from planet Dragon Quest or something? A lot of his forms wouldn't look out of place at all in a DQ.

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
Thanks for play, Loco. I enjoyed this LP as much as the Hero one, which is the LP that got me addicted to StrawhatNO to begin with!

...I remember the engine room being much harder. I think I didn't take advantage of the fire downs in the beginning of the room and constantly hurt myself. I also had to repeat Noah several times because it took me several tries before I even got to the point where I realized I needed to raise the lava level at all. For as long as the Warship Noah video was, I would say that, doing it blind would take about ten times as long as that video was. Literally a 5-6 hour ordeal.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the engine room ice bridge is some bullshit but I still really like this game (and its soundtrack)

lmao at cat girl Pommy though, I forgot about that form

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sayonara indeed, Bomberman.
I wouldn't have expected Bomberman games to end up having a large plot and take hours to finish.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
bomberman 64 the second attack is truly a treasure :allears:

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

A lot of the 3D Bomberman games feel like you're lizard-braining your way along a flat surface; very little depth or strategy beyond "place bomb, wait" while you traverse a McDonald's Toy-Room Tower for the sake of exercising player movement. It's often better to have one mechanic used meaningfully rather than dozens with four minigames and a crafting system slapped together just to exist in-game. Plenty of content to look at, but most of it is for the purpose of being looked at.

At least what you're looking at is adorable character design while listening to catchy music; an overall pleasant place to hang around in. I find this in a lot of other flawed games I end up liking such as Megaman Legends and Battle Network.

If you can't make it a solid game, then at least make it a charming game. Hudson titles in general achieved that very well sometimes.

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
Gotta say, I'm not sure why they stuck with the cross-shaped explosions for multiplayer when they kept the really open boards from Bomberman 64. Seems like they made the curse items overly dramatic because that would be the only thing that keeps the multiplayer chaotic enough to be fun.

...then there's Score Attack. Yes, let's put each player in their own little cage and let them make a dice roll whenever they manage to bomb a chicken. Best RNG wins? O_o

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Was watching that Pommy evolutions compilation and couldn't resist.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

RasterPunk posted:

Was watching that Pommy evolutions compilation and couldn't resist.

"I am the world's ultimate Pommy. Playtime is over, Elemental Control!"

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Dresh posted:

"I am the world's ultimate Pommy. Playtime is over, Elemental Control!"

"THIS IS MYU I AM."

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

For some reason thought of this when I saw Knight Pommy.

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 8, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---The Game---
The final full-length LP of the Megathread also happens to be the final game in the Super Bomberman subseries. Released in 1997 in Japan only, the game is a nostalgic journey through all of the worlds, tilesets, and frustrations of the previous four games. Each world reuses assets from its related Super Bomberman: Zone 1 is SB1, Zone 2 is SB2, etc, with Zone 5 being all-new assets for SB5.
The game plays non-linearly: after you complete a stage, portals open up that may take you to the level immediately after, to a level far ahead of where you are now, or even take you to a previous level. The game keeps track of what stages you've completed, and it can be a monster to figure out how to get to some of them without a guide. This makes SB5 the most completionist-inciting out of any 2D Bomberman, and perhaps more so than some of the 3D action-adventure titles.

The story is such:
(Once again copied from Wikipedia because I had this all wrong while commentating the LP)
An evil Bomber named Emperor Terrorin who has the power of Time itself has freed various criminal Bombers from their prison cells in orbit around Planet Bomber. Setting them up in a warped time and space, Shirobon, Kurobon, and their Louie (Rui) companions must travel through stages and defeat them before going up against Emperor Terrorin himself.

---The LP---
Due to the non-linear, pain-in-the-rear end-to-navigate nature of the game, the first part of the LP is just a straightforward run-through of the game. Every part after shows off each stage I missed in a zone, most parts without commentary due to the franchise's usual repetition being amped up to a tiring extreme. The first and final parts will show off both endings, at least, and at the end I will have conclusively 100%'d the game. If you wish to attempt a 100% run yourself, you'll want to keep the GameFAQs walkthrough bookmarked.
My co-commentators are Highwang and SorataYuy, except for Zones 2-4 where there is no commentary.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 9, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Zone 1 has a bit of commentary at the start, but aside from that we forwent sitting through every piece of the last four Super Bombermans again. Commentary returns on Friday for the final video.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Multiple sets of bosses for your hard work. One with three sets of bosses.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Good night, you bizarre monstrosity.

Thus concludes the Super Bomberman subseries. Bomberman II will be live-commentated this weekend on my hitbox, most likely Saturday at 3PM Pacific, and we will finally say goodbye to the Megathread on Sunday.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Nice to have this whole playlist; lots of rewatchable playthroughs.

I should contribute some artwork as a send-off. The aesthetics of Bomberman are why I have a fondness to the series; the Megathread has been a good excuse to appreciate it through work.

Not done yet since we still have Bomberman II, but to the StrawHatNo, PlayablePassion (GamesAreSupernice), ElTipejoLoco, Mr Phillby, and many other Let's Players involved, thanks for caring about the little things. It's an underrated thing to do; preserve and appreciate as much of gaming's history as possible in accessible ways. So much of gaming can be taken for granted, many are left forgotten.

Perhaps there could be future Megathreads for forgotten series. I'd consider settings things up to contribute with game footage next time.

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 10, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

RasterPunk posted:

Not done yet since we still have Bomberman II, but to the StrawHatNo, PlayablePassion (GamesAreSupernice), ElTipejoLoco, Mr Phillby, and many other Let's Players involved, thanks for caring about the little things. It's an underrated thing to do; preserve and appreciate as much of gaming's history as possible in accessible ways. So much of gaming can be taken for granted, many are left forgotten.

It was fun. I love preserving forgotten games and Bomberman is a series I've always had a fondness for.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I prefer the bosses reading bomb timers than having them blow themselves up. I am disappointed in the boss losing his head like a Dr. Wily doll. Does that imply the real leader is still running around?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

By this point, the question is less "what were they on" and more "what were they not on". This had to take a very interesting amount of drugs to get to.

Also is it just me or the yellow 100% diplomas looked very bootleg-y?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Bomberman II is currently being uploaded. Giving a heads-up that I'm combining it with the original Bomberman (NES) post so that I can submit both to Baldurk together.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

What is Bomberman?
Bomberman is one of the oldest gaming franchises out there. It started with a simple action puzzler wherein you play as a cute little robot guy, blow up bricks and balloon people, and make your way through nondescript grid-based worlds. As technology advanced, so too did the franchise, and Bomberman stretched his legs into many other fields: more widespread 3D action puzzlers, adventure RPGs, platformers, racing, minigame party games, and everything else Mario beat him to. The franchise has also become synonymous with frenetic multiplayer, and frankly it seems you can release any old poo poo as long as an old-school multiplayer mode is intact. But at his core (and core complacent fanbase), Bomberman's still that grid-based action hero. At least he was until Hudson Soft went belly-up, sold Bomberman to Konami, and Konami stopped caring about everything ever. C'est la vie.

This short, single-video LP is of the NES classic (remade for the PS1 as a "Party Edition"), edited down to avoid too much repetition but to still give the general idea of the game. It was recorded for the Bomberman Megathread, and you can watch everything made for the Megathread in this playlist. The video was also recorded during our 2012 Extra-Life charity stream, thus the commentary. My co-commentators are Mugiwara Yoshi and Redundant.

PS: The game's sequel, Bomberman II, served as the finale to the Megathread, thus the massive time gap between them.
----------------------------------

Video: Bomberman (NES)

Extra: Bomberman Party Edition credits

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bomberman II (AKA: Dynablaster in some regions) is the sequel to the original NES Bomberman and the first to feature the now-signature multiplayer mode. The game's structure is very similar to the first, except Bomberman travels to different locations rather than wandering around the same green box. It's also the introduction of Bomberman's recurring evil twin (and future ally) Black Bomber. In all, the game is closer to an origin of Bomberman as he came to be known than the original.

The video for this LP is edited much the same as the first Bomberman, due to the repetitive nature of the game. It also serves as a bookend to a long, troubled Megathread and an off-kilter celebration of all it accomplished. My co-commentator is Highwang.

Video: Bomberman II [Megathread Finale]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bomberman
(By Mezurya)

(By Amazing-Bucket, Tumblr)

(GIF by TenaCrane)

Bomberman II
(By ChibiWisdom)

• June Chikuma @ SoundCloud - Longtime composer for the Bomberman franchise. Features soundtracks for Bomberman II, Super Bomberman 3, Bomberman B-Daman, Bomberman Hero, and Saturn Bomberman among others. Go to "Playlists" to see the tracks together by game.

• INDIEACHIVEMENT's reel of practically every Bomberman game in release order. Gives you an idea of the scope of the little bomber's life:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHXY_6s1srk

• Apparently a music video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDSpvCi4sDk

• LateToTheParty fills us in on the original MSX Bomberman, AKA Eric and the Floaters:

LateToTheParty posted:

The first but yet not Bomberman game for the MSX brought up at the beginning of the video is indeed weird. It was also released on several obscure computers of the 1980s such as the NEC PC-8801, NEC PC-6001, Sharp MZ-700, FM-7, and ZX Spectrum. The ZX Spectrum version of Bomberman actually got released in Europe under the titles of Eric and The Floaters (For English speakers) and Don Pepe Y Los Globos (For Spanish speakers).

Here is the summary of Eric and The Floaters from the IGN database.

quote:

Bomberman precursor from Hudson starring an Indiana Jones-type dynamite expert. Buried treasure and a silent, floating menace await Eric in the Brick Lanes.

Here is the actual game itself.

Finally here is the box art of Don Pepe Y Los Globos.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Thanks again to everyone who watched, took part in, supported, or gave me grief for this Megathread. It's been over four years since the original started, but now we're finally done.

See you all next year with a not-quite-Mega thread of Harvest Moon [and related] LPs, and whatever else manages to fall out of me and my team.

I leave you with the only two true ways to sum this all up, courtesy of ChibiWisdom:

Cheers!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Thanks for doing not just this megathread but the Bomberman series. I only checked out your LPs of Hero, Jetters, and Generations out of boredom but I enjoyed them as well as this thread and was happy to see the thread return after seemingly dying before.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I told myself I'll get a grip.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

There was in fact two Bomberman arcade games.

http://bomberman.wikia.com/wiki/Bomberman_(Arcade) and its sequel.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
The "extra life" was the bonus stage and the extra bomberman in the bonus stage IS the extra life.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ometeotl posted:

There was in fact two Bomberman arcade games.

http://bomberman.wikia.com/wiki/Bomberman_(Arcade) and its sequel.

And Neo Bomberman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
Glad to have participated for Super Bomberman 2. It was as fun to do as the rest of the megathread was as fun to watch.

• Locked thread