Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Fun fact: a part of the US manual for this game referred to Golem Bomber as Fire Bomber, a name which was later used a totally different character who couldn't possibly be mistaken for being the same guy.

I'm looking forward to the next batch of levels. Pretty Bomber's kind of an interesting character to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The fastest, and probably the funniest, of the five worlds. I already know what I'm using as the thumbnail when I submit this to the LPArchive.

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
Boo. I got misgendered in the first video on accident. Not trying to call anyone out or anything, just wanting to make it certain that I'm to be referred to as a lady.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
As much as the later Super Bomberman games built upon mechanics and stuff, I think 2 was my favorite partially for being one of the first I played, and also because its graphical style just looks better. Not sure why they made all the later ones look so flat. All the SB2 stages look interesting and many of them aren't just plain rectangles. Also, as goofy as the sountrack is at times, they at least were trying something new and not just having the main Bomberman theme just rehashed several times over.

Also if I remember correctly, with those blob-rider enemies, I think you can ride their tanks after you blow them up? Not so sure about the spiky shell thing in the first stage, but I swear it was possible to drive those tanks and shoot stuff with them.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

LP finishes tomorrow. 2D Bomberman games are short.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I didn't mention anything in the thread after SB2 Episode 3 since I figured someone else would beat me to the punch, But DreamMix TV: World Fighters sort of counts as a fighter with Bomberman in it.
Though I assume Mujoe's appearance in the menu and loading screens far outweighs Bomberman's.

And, for better or worse, there's probably a couple dozen fan-made MUGEN versions of Bomberman out there. Maybe not all of them involving sprite-rips, even!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ElTipejoLoco posted:

I didn't mention anything in the thread after SB2 Episode 3 since I figured someone else would beat me to the punch, But DreamMix TV: World Fighters sort of counts as a fighter with Bomberman in it.
Though I assume Mujoe's appearance in the menu and loading screens far outweighs Bomberman's.

And, for better or worse, there's probably a couple dozen fan-made MUGEN versions of Bomberman out there. Maybe not all of them involving sprite-rips, even!

I love how incongruous that game is with it's character design, mostly in that Optimus Prime and Megatron stick out like sore thumbs compared to the more cartoony fighters like Bomberman, and the more realistic fighters like Yugo.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Ok now I remember what that Pumkin guy reminds me of.

It's even more appropriate considering that the Stage 3 boss also will just remove/eat your bombs if (s)he? bumps into them. Which makes it probably one of the hardest bosses if you don't have remote bombs incidentally.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
So as mentioned in Ep 3, Pretty Bomber basically becomes the "girl" of the series after this game, but she's a bit more interesting than that type usually gets. She continues to play an antagonal role any time the 5 Dastardly Bombers show up, and even when she's not a bad guy she's more of an anti-heroine like Catwoman or Fujiko Mine. She acts as the secret boss in Panic Bomber on the Virtual Boy, and in Neo Bomberman this is how she thanks Shiro and Kuro for rescuing her from Bagura;

This aspect of her kind of gets lost over time though, especially once most of the games started using the Bomberman Land art style.

For Brain Bomber I always figured the idea behind his bombs was that they reduced needless collateral damage (mostly to himself) as much as possible and he's soooooo smart that he knows exactly where to place them to get the most out of the small explosion. Either that or losing was all part of his master plan to show off his cool Bomberman mech.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You can also see what she looks like with her helmet off in the next game, which is unique for basically every other Bomber character in the whole series.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I think Brian Bomber's supposed to be the wimpy, scientist-like one. After watching the ending to Bomberman Tournament and learning he was the "mastermind" behind everything....if you want to take the story with an inkling of seriousness, that is, it seems he's more of the dollar store Dr. Wily of the bunch.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Dresh posted:

For Brain Bomber I always figured the idea behind his bombs was that they reduced needless collateral damage (mostly to himself) as much as possible and he's soooooo smart that he knows exactly where to place them to get the most out of the small explosion. Either that or losing was all part of his master plan to show off his cool Bomberman mech.

I think his 'gimmick' on his bombs is that he's actually supposed to be using Remote bombs? I guess what his AI was supposed to do, at least to my knowledge, was to use his bombs to detonate your bombs in an attempt to use your own power against you, but in practice his bombs are just way too weak to do anything. Unless you ram your face right into a bomb (or have huge explosions, slow speed, and no remote bomb yourself), his attacks are no threat.

Aside from the final guy, the non-mech bosses are kind of in reverse order of challenge in this game, aren't they?

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 30, 2015

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

And there you have it. Hopefully Saturn Bomberman doesn't take too long before we can commentate it. After that I'll probably do Super 3, followed by Fantasy Race, and then Super 4 and 5. Additional suggested games or LPers doing other games are welcome.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
At MAGFest this year, one of their game challenges was to beat the skull machine with no powerups, and without getting hit. By the time I beat it, I knew the hit box pretty well.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

And there you have it. Hopefully Saturn Bomberman doesn't take too long before we can commentate it. After that I'll probably do Super 3, followed by Fantasy Race, and then Super 4 and 5. Additional suggested games or LPers doing other games are welcome.

I might be able to knock out a quickie Bomberman '94, if I can find it.
Fake Edit: I can't read, that was on your list.

Also, the eyeball entity thing at the end of SB2 is Giga Ganzu, supposedly some kind of creation of the series' antagonist Baugler. Or something. I read that in some Nintendo Power or whatnot long ago.

Digital Jello fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 1, 2015

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Just caught up on the vids.

Really love the music of the last level back in the day. This was also my intro to bomberman too, like so many others. I guess the first proved to Blockbuster or something that this was a game worth carrying in their stores. I never owned it.

That said, as much as pretty bomber is the girl bomber, I just remembered that this was probably the first game I ever played where I realized I wasn't liking all the same things everyone else liked. Seriously, I did like pretty bomber's stage for the toy theme. I don't get why, as getting older I kinda went in other directions. But yeah, growing up as a gay kid, I for some reason really liked the pink frilly look of the stage. Including the music and the fun toy-like stage design.

So weird looking back at it, I knew it was odd at the time but just didn't care. Because video games were different anyway. :unsmith:

Thank you guys for going through it with a bit more critical an eye than I ever could. Also, gently caress that ending, kid me was awful at games I guess and never saw that ending. I always thought it had to be so epic, and it so wasn't.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

In reference to the Super Bomberman 2 Let's Play during the final boss

Some trivia...

I did this based on 4コマ (4 ko-ma) format which is the idea that every comic is 4 panels. The official Japanese Pokemon website has some examples if you're interested; you can view them here. The pictures are nice at least. Seems superficial, but it works well for gags which seems to be what they mostly use this for.

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 2, 2015

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

I showed you that image so that I could then show you this image:

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Pocket Bomberman

I remember purchasing this game at a flea market back in the early 2000′s near Cherokee. I looked at the art on the cartridge and was like “Aw dude this looks awesome bomberman swords and stuff yeah!”

I had rented Bomberman on the Super Nintendo before so I knew what I was getting into. It was weird seeing Bomberman with a sword; thought it was going to be some kind of exploding sword like those CO2 Knives or something. But no, it’s just Bomberman with side scrolling. Even the sword is just for show which was such a let down. Come on! You don't show swords on a front cover and not have a sword, do you have any idea how many children's hearts you've broken?

It is nice to see later on Bomberman would get some RPG-sh action adventure like I thought this game was going to be. I should look into those soon so that I can experience further disappointment.

Here's a video for those who haven't heard of this conniving game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XLhIRxN_Ao

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Update:
Due to work and school, Yoshi and Travis were unavailable to record for all of December. But it's a new year, and we have recordings a plenty on the way. Saturn Bomberman has been fully commentated and will come next week, with one part a day starting on Monday. Fantasy Race will be right behind it.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
:neckbeard: You know, just the other day I was looking at my bookmarks longingly hoping this thread would come back.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

ThornBrain posted:

Update:
Due to work and school, Yoshi and Travis were unavailable to record for all of December. But it's a new year, and we have recordings a plenty on the way. Saturn Bomberman has been fully commentated and will come next week, with one part a day starting on Monday. Fantasy Race will be right behind it.
Just when I thought 2016 was going to start awful, there comes a shining light from the west in the form of...what can it be, no surely not

An LP?! Of SATURN BOMBERMAN PERCHANCE?!?!

I have been waiting for this for so many months. :allears: I can't wait, seriously so happy to hear it's coming soon, hope you three are all having a good new year too.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I knew keeping this thread bookmarked after so long would lead to greatness and it has :allears:

I've never seen Bomberman for the Saturn so i guess i'm in for a treat?

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I'm glad this is still around too. And I've never seen the Saturn Bomberman, either. My next-gen Bomberman experience ends with Bomberman World for the PS1.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---The Game---
Saturn Bomberman is the 1997 installment in the classic formula for the ill-fated Sega Saturn. Which sucks, because this is easily one of the best games in the franchise. The levels are highly detailed, the music is creative and fantastic, the voice acting isn't abysmal, and it's a short but sweet campaign with an old-school game option thrown in for kicks. It also happens to allow for up to 16 players for online multiplayer - because online play is direct connection, you can still play online if you have the modem! And, you know, a Saturn.
Also this game introduces Mujoe and the Hige Hige Bandits to the franchise, which is always good eats. (Granted they have stupider names...)
Not the most difficult of Bomberman games, but the one worth coming back to the most.

The Story is Such:
The evil Mr. Meanie (yes really) and the evil-er Dr. Mechado, heads of the Meanie Group (AKA: Mujoe, Mechadoc, and the Hige Hige Bandits) revive the evil monster Crator and unleash him to cause destruction throughout time. It is up to Bomberman, Black Bomber, and their weird dust bunny thing to travel through time, kill as many unsuspecting creatures as possible, collect the crystals needed to stop Crator, and put an end to Mr. Meanie's evil plan. With bitching music!

---The LP---
This is a very quick LP in the same vein as the Super Bomberman LPs: there are five worlds, each with their own 20-25 minute video. My co-commentators are BigTUnit1 and Mugiwara Yoshi.

World 1 - Higeland:

World 2 - Samurai World

World 3 - Wild West World

World 4 - Dino World

World 5 - Mr. Meanie's Future World

Extra - A Quick Look at Master Game

quote:

Purple Dinosaur: This dinosaur emits ultrasonic waves to explode bombs and reveal the contents of soft (bombable) blocks. His ultrasonic waves grow as he grows bigger.
Blue Dinosaur: This dinosaur can kick bombs over objects. His kicking ability grows as he grows bigger.
Green Dinosaur: This dinosaur sprints down the line until stopped by an obstacle. As he gets bigger, he becomes faster and gains the ability to stop running and make turns while running.
Yellow Dinosaur: This dinosaur can stop your opponents in their tracks with his roar. His roar range grows as he grows. His roar causes other players to drop powerups
Pink Dinosaur: This dinosaur can jump over soft blocks. When grown, he can also jump over hard blocks, and jump further distances.

(By RasterPunk)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 21, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Basically, the Saturn failed in America because Sega of Japan was absolutely desperate to get it out on US Soil before the Playstation launched here. And forced a lot of decisions down Tom Kalinske's throat, despite the fact that he was the one who revived the Genesis' flagging sales in the early 90s and was trying to push back on the Saturn.

quote:

In March 1995, Sega of America CEO Tom Kalinske announced that the Saturn would be released in the U.S. on "Saturnday" (Saturday) September 2, 1995. However, Sega of Japan mandated an early launch to give the Saturn an advantage over the PlayStation. Therefore, at the first Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles on May 11, 1995, Kalinske gave a keynote presentation for the upcoming Saturn in which he revealed the release price at US$399 ($449 including a bundled copy of Virtua Fighter), and described the features of the console. Kalinske also revealed that, due to "high consumer demand", Sega had already shipped 30,000 Saturns to Toys "R" Us, Babbage's, Electronics Boutique, and Software Etc. for immediate release. This announcement upset retailers who were not informed of the surprise release, including Best Buy and Walmart; KB Toys responded by dropping Sega from its lineup. Sony subsequently unveiled the retail price for the PlayStation: Sony Computer Entertainment America president Steve Race took the stage, said "$299", and then walked away to applause.
They basically handed that generation of the console war to Sony on a silver platter, all they had to do was release for cheaper(Rumor has it that they dropped their price point after they heard Segas) and with actual games (Most localization teams were still on track for the September release date when they suddenly released it 4 months early). The fact that they released the 32X less than a year before the Saturn didn't help.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I'm going to quote what I said in the SoA thread:

Chimera-gui posted:

The problem with Sega has always been the utter incompetence of its management. It is painfully clear that Sega was not run even remotely well (see this video for two specific examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar4gIEFdPrQ).

And I say this as someone who grew up with a Sega CDX as a kid with games such as Ecco the Dolphin, a compilation that had Golden Axe, and the Lunar series.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Sega: Great games, terrible management.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

THIS.

This game was the entire and only reason I watched this megathread. So yeah, good start to the year for me to enjoy watching this chucklefest because I join Thornbrain as saying this is also my favourite Bomberman game of all time and in my own opinion, it's the best Bomberman game of all time.

As someone who actually owned a Sega Saturn, it had a pretty neat but small library and I think the biggest issue of it was that because everyone had blew their load on the Sega CD/32X, both consumers and developers, everyone was just tired of Sega and didn't want to go on with another console they made, it came way too quickly after their previous failure. Dreamcast had a bit of a longer start and did not AS bad but it mainly suffered a bad startup because it was released the same week as Final Fantasy 8 which pretty much crippled sales wanting for a new console thanks to Playstation keeping it all in.

I loved the Saturn though, the few games I have for it were legit great such as Saturn Bomberman, Galactic Attack (there were a few console ports of arcade shooters that the Saturn did SUPERBLY at), Baku Baku which is frankly the only puzzle game my family have ever enjoyed altogether and to this day my mom is a FREAK about playing it again and drags the ol' Saturn out to play it, and of course NiGHTS Into DREAMS which was the Saturn's killer app which for the time was a beautiful piece of work.

The Saturn had great potential to be a rival to Playstation. If Sega hadn't hosed up with the Sega CD and instead decided to just wait and gather up resources towards building it more focusedly, they could have had a real rivalry going on between them.

Derek Barona posted:

Sega: Great games, terrible management.
Basically, this entirely.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

FinalGamer posted:

I loved the Saturn though, the few games I have for it were legit great such as Saturn Bomberman, Galactic Attack (there were a few console ports of arcade shooters that the Saturn did SUPERBLY at), Baku Baku which is frankly the only puzzle game my family have ever enjoyed altogether and to this day my mom is a FREAK about playing it again and drags the ol' Saturn out to play it, and of course NiGHTS Into DREAMS which was the Saturn's killer app which for the time was a beautiful piece of work.

Don't forget the Panzer Dragoon games, and though I never got a chance to play it, I always heard Astal was pretty good too. I also first got ahold of Virtual On on the Saturn and goddamn I love that series. Fei-Yen represent.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I will argue on my deathbed that the Saturn was a great console... But you had to import a lot because SoA's President at the time didn't believe anything would sell on the Saturn. After the success of FF7 he said that "People don't play RPGS" and that made my head tilt so fast that it threw some disks out of alignment. But yeah Sega makes great games but is so poorly managed. They're the only ones that could make a better Mario Kart than Nintendo did. (I haven't played 8, but All Stars Transformed really kicked so much rear end) It's funny too considering how iconic a lot of their mascots are but they just kinda don't do much with them anymore outside of Sonic.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Zain posted:

I will argue on my deathbed that the Saturn was a great console... But you had to import a lot because SoA's President at the time didn't believe anything would sell on the Saturn. After the success of FF7 he said that "People don't play RPGS" and that made my head tilt so fast that it threw some disks out of alignment. But yeah Sega makes great games but is so poorly managed. They're the only ones that could make a better Mario Kart than Nintendo did. (I haven't played 8, but All Stars Transformed really kicked so much rear end) It's funny too considering how iconic a lot of their mascots are but they just kinda don't do much with them anymore outside of Sonic.
All Stars Transformed is probably the one racing game I legit like even more than Mario Kart. So yeah I hope Sega more try to not lean on Sonic who is just being sucked dry on an IV at this rate.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
SEGA didn't do the racing games, those were done entirely by Sumo Digital. People think that's one of the reasons they turned out so well.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
World 2 - Samurai World

This world is a goddamn lie.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

But it DOES have the best goddamn version of the Bomberman theme ever made dontcha think?

Can't wait for Wild West World where we face off against Samurai Joe.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Are these videos blurry for anyone else, or is that just the game?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
It's the game. I actually bought a Saturn and a copy of the game and recorded the LP from there.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I am super disappointed in that boss. They had a perfect setup to go with a Joegun and just... didn't use it for some reason. Weak.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

I am super disappointed in that boss. They had a perfect setup to go with a Joegun and just... didn't use it for some reason. Weak.
Obviously that's for another level, god don't you know anything about history? The Joegun was infamous for its effects of the Industrial Rejoelution which is where we'll be going in World 4, the Europe World.

I forgot to mention since no one else did, the mantises CAN attack in one way, if there is a bomb on either side of them on the other side of a rock, they poke at them curiously and set them off early which can mess you up slightly. Other than that they pretty much don't do anything.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
World 3 - Wild West World

Nothing says "the Wild West" like... pajama witches and lumberjacks.

• Locked thread