Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I think a thing behind most of the Bomberman enemies is, of all things, ethics. It's why most enemies you blow up are impossible structures built in creature-like shapes, or inanimate objects wearing hats, because it's not exactly ethical to blow up humans and other living things with explosives, or at the very least not anything recognizably human.

Then again I'm pretty sure there's a legit animal enemy somewhere in the Bomberman pantheon, and of course dinosaurs and other mounts get turned into fried eggs and killed at every turn, so who's to say I'm correct?

edit: also the fact we were just in a stage where we were wholesale obliterating Witches and Bats :downs: but I like to think that's the main reason why we didn't see any samurais in samurai world. Or cowboys in wild-west world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Thankfully, the Bomberman wiki can answer all of your Tirra(Dinosaur) related questions.

quote:

Purple Dinosaur: This dinosaur emits ultrasonic waves to explode bombs and reveal the contents of soft (bombable) blocks. His ultrasonic waves grow as he grows bigger.
Blue Dinosaur: This dinosaur can kick bombs over objects. His kicking ability grows as he grows bigger.
Green Dinosaur: This dinosaur sprints down the line until stopped by an obstacle. As he gets bigger, he becomes faster and gains the ability to stop running and make turns while running.
Yellow Dinosaur: This dinosaur can stop your opponents in their tracks with his roar. His roar range grows as he grows. His roar causes other players to drop powerups
Pink Dinosaur: This dinosaur can jump over soft blocks. When grown, he can also jump over hard blocks, and jump further distances.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I second the Rick twitter account for what it's worth.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
World 4 - Dino World

We get a bit of a changeup in the world structure this time. We have to fight two bosses now!

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I can't help but think this game's bosses might've been made more challenging if you couldn't walk through them. Prior games would have you scrambling around the arena to avoid giant-rear end foes and it almost seems like they got dumbed down or something.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Nice to see the thread is picking up again after finally having SFA reach its conclusion.

Starting to like Saturn Bomberman a lot; I've always loved this particular brand of artstyle.
I had listened to June Chikuma's music before I had known about this game and was wondering where in bomberman these kickass songs where in the series.

It's a shame so many good games got trapped in the Sega Saturn.
How cheap do you think this game along with the Sega Saturn is? Any sources I don't know about?

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 14, 2016

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Billions of years in the past, in the age of dinosaurs, a powerful alien creature crashes to the planet, causing an ice age and wiping out the dinosaurs. Billions of years later, the creature emerges from hibernation to bring about a cataclysm.

Oh my god Crator is Lavos.

...Wait when did this game become about time travel????

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

dijon du jour posted:

...Wait when did this game become about time travel????

Since the intro cutscene.

Admittedly it's one of the few actually relevant things from it.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

One of the later Super Bombermans did time travel too (I wanna say 5...). The Saturn version does it a lot "better" if that makes any sense. It also seems more enjoyable.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Digital Jello posted:

One of the later Super Bombermans did time travel too (I wanna say 5...). The Saturn version does it a lot "better" if that makes any sense. It also seems more enjoyable.

It's 4. 5 does more of a Super Bomberman series singularity thing, throwing all of the stages from 1-4 together. Saturn does it better purely by actually showing you time travelling. SB4 I want to say you just show up in new places.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
World 5 - Mr. Meanie's Future World

Final world of the game with an inexplicable marathon level at the end.

One more video tomorrow of the Master Game.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
As someone who actually did enjoy Bomberman 64 (Don't loving judge me) I gotta agree, this really was one of the best Bomberman games.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I love the creativity behind the final bosses; Mujoe's giant robot's green laser attacks are somewhat reminiscent of the final boss from Bomberman World (Baugler's robot) to me. And the final Mechadoc fight in this game would be hell for me as a kid, as I hate those cotton candy-like attacks where you have to sprawl all over the room to avoid tons of poo poo.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Extra - A Quick Look at Master Game

Thus concludes Saturn Bomberman. Fantasy Race will follow most likely next week.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Great run Thorn, thank you so much for covering that game and for even taking the time to get a Sega Saturn and all. I really appreciate it, was a total blast watching you guys enjoy the madness.

Can't wait for the next LP!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---The Game---
Bomberman Fantasy Race: It's kart racing, but with our Louie and Tirra friends! Grab items to fling at your opponents, jump around and off the walls, give your bunny friend a hemorrhage in order to make that last lap, and try not to fall into the water and bottomless pits. It's wacky, it's compressed to hell, and it's hard to control, but somehow it's one of the most fun recording experiences I've had in an LP. Music's pretty fun too.

Join me with Mugiwara Yoshi, BigTUnit1 and Jiggly Jacob as we see how far the Hige bandit YEEEH can go with just the starter Louie.

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

Cheez posted:

It's called black louie. You're thinking of king tirra instead. Also, according to this guide here while I was looking up some info about stuff you hadn't covered, the prices for the unlockable characters are far higher in the English version than in the original Japanese release! Because why not! Like, black louie is 100,000 instead of 10,000, hopping louie is 1000 instead of 100... In other words you're getting super hosed over and Japanese people didn't have to grind for money.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 22, 2016

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

My favorite out of the variants of Bomberman is Bomberman Land. Fantasy Race sort of gives me that same impression.

I've recently been playing games like Rogue Galaxy and a thing that this game does that quite a few did was put you in a sprawling area featuring stuff to do.
It's like visiting a theme park or a major city in real life; that's the feeling I get from Bomberman as a whole; cute characters in a brightly colored future city with
all your various consumer stuff and sporty subcultures going on.

Of course it is just following the Mario Kart trend, but I also saw them as world building; giving players another perspective of their universe. That's something a lot of spinoffs can do for their franchises especially when it comes to developing characters. Something Sonic could have tried and/or done better.

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 19, 2016

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

RasterPunk posted:

My favorite out of the variants of Bomberman is Bomberman Land. Fantasy Race sort of gives me that same impression.

Speaking of Bomberman Land, it is kind of interesting that Mach Bomber is really similar to Racer Bomber from those games.

I found a couple first person Bomberman videos on Youtube. They do a good job of making the bombs seem really dangerous up close without upping the actual violence at all.

Single player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCQoU-MQ58I

Multi player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xe0aPNz39Q

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Dresh posted:

Speaking of Bomberman Land, it is kind of interesting that Mach Bomber is really similar to Racer Bomber from those games.

I found a couple first person Bomberman videos on Youtube. They do a good job of making the bombs seem really dangerous up close without upping the actual violence at all.

Also a bit random, I'm discovering much of Bomberman Land (because of freaking region locks) through 実況プレイ ("Commentary Play" - Let's Play).
Sadly no translation for anything, but it is a neat preview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXlU9PdB87w

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 20, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

With the mechanics of the game sorted, it's time to get down to some fun but challenging levels. And beat them all the exact same ways.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Pink and purple poop is kind of a worldwide way of getting poo poo past the censors. Even Rick and Morty used purple poop so they could show a guy eating it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Do they really expect you to run each race 2+ times to make a profit if/when the bonus game inevitably tapers off? The cost-reward ratio on those races is skewed so backwards. 400 entry, 300 first place and 900 entry, 500 first place are bad enough but I swear I saw 3,000 entry for a 1,500 first place reward which is ridiculous and the bonus game doesn't look like it'd make up for that gap. It's a good thing those costs are one time only, I suppose, especially when you have other stuff to pay for too.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with Louie getting tired.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Bluhman posted:

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with Louie getting tired.

Lewd as heck!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Talking about Digimon, the narrator sounds identical to Wormmon's Japanese voice, so I'm guessing it's the same VA.

Like, every time I heard FINARU RAPPU, I remembered my childhood with a Japanese Digimon Rumble Arena, and NEBENEBE NETTO and RANRORU. I might be wrong, though.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Last batch of levels before the hardest and most soul-crushing.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

Talking about Digimon, the narrator sounds identical to Wormmon's Japanese voice, so I'm guessing it's the same VA.

Like, every time I heard FINARU RAPPU, I remembered my childhood with a Japanese Digimon Rumble Arena, and NEBENEBE NETTO and RANRORU. I might be wrong, though.

Reapermon continues to be my top "Most Broken Character" of all time.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Surprised you couldn't race as Mr Meanie.

One thing I've learned from all this is if you'd told me one of the most plot thin games I could remember had a cartoon series that ran for just about a year I wouldn't have believed you, but well here we are.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Yoshi: I'd like a picture of Saturn exploding and then it said "Divorce isn't bad!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

RasterPunk posted:

Yoshi: I'd like a picture of Saturn exploding and then it said "Divorce isn't bad!"

That's fantastic.

Though the line is actually "Life is Short. Have an affair."

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Oh jeez I was jotting down their lines, I didn't catch that fully! XD

Had practically forgotten the whole Ashely Madison thing.

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 21, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

All of the bad design and control decisions come to a head in Bomber Castle. Baby Louie is no longer viable, and we must trade up in order to beat this godawful final level.

Travis was unavailable for this and the final part.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

King Lewie almost feels like a case of the Reapermon or Sweet Tooth; every game's got its broken character. I think it's cause by how you make upgrade trees. You start with a player character, then strip that player character of certain abilities or even adding things. Movement speeds, handling, hits before game over, etc. But of course there's the ever present Rubber-band AI.

All in all looks satisfying and short especially when pulling off those jumps. Especially liked the animation of the credits, it looks like the developers had fun with this one.

My favorite parts were when Thorn sucked at the game so that makes for the entire Let's Play. :D

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
It's called black louie. You're thinking of king tirra instead. Also, according to this guide here while I was looking up some info about stuff you hadn't covered, the prices for the unlockable characters are far higher in the English version than in the original Japanese release! Because why not! Like, black louie is 100,000 instead of 10,000, hopping louie is 1000 instead of 100... In other words you're getting super hosed over and Japanese people didn't have to grind for money.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Everything was worth it for that Louie ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ image. I was laughing so hard at that.

"Oh whoops sorry guess we loving die now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Know your limits.

That's everything for Fantasy Race! We don't currently have Super Bomberman 3-5 commentated, but those are all pretty quick, so we should start seeing those in February at the latest.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

What a lame secret track.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

At least the music is cool.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Man, looking at this game makes me sad it was only those days when this franchise had ideas. Bomberman would have been a pretty cool thing to have in this day and age.

But it is only a fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

This game kind of reminds me of another tacky kart racer called Mega Man Battle & Chase in the sense that an awesome series like has its own dime-store Mario Kart rendition.

• Locked thread