Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
You guys are thinking of Bomberman II and 93. II was his introduction, 93 was when he framed you for a crime. Super Bomberman was when he randomly became friends with White and from then on was Player 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I was just thinking "Thorn needs to come in here and set the complex Bomberman lore straight"

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

ThornBrain posted:

You guys are thinking of Bomberman II and 93. II was his introduction, 93 was when he framed you for a crime. Super Bomberman was when he randomly became friends with White and from then on was Player 2.

I hate to be the one to say it, but II is the one with the framing. '93 has Shiro in pursuit of Black Bomber across different worlds after a robbery.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Skyridge posted:

I was just thinking "Thorn needs to come in here and set the complex Bomberman lore straight"

I was thinking he needs to do that

By LPing them both.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I might, actually. Except for 93. Already have.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

ThornBrain posted:

I might, actually. Except for 93. Already have.

So you have. I never finished watching it for some reason, and forgot about it.

...Bomberman '94 when?

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Sorry for the delay! Schedules and availability just aren't syncing up.

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
Neverland is a really rough level, if I recall correctly. Harder than either of the levels in the next set of two, anyway.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Neverland, as in Nevergohereland.
Plus a video of some extra cutscenes, including what we would have seen if we'd gone to different planets first. At least one more of those to come as we reach the end of the game.

:siren:VOTE: Where does Loco go next?:siren:
Amusement Planet Epikyur
Prison Planet Thantos
Warship Noah
(Bed Ending endgame!)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Go to Epikyur so we save the obvious rival character to the end. Plus the bad ending can wait a bit longer.

Also I still like Bomberman's attitude. Pommy complains the planet is too hot? "Tough poo poo, bro". Honourable enemy asks why he fights? "No loving reason". He's so past the point of caring, it's wonderful.

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
I can't imagine doing Epikyur without the guardian helmet, and you need Thantos' bomb to get it.

I think there's less backtracking overall if you go to Epikyur first, though. Custom parts in Thantos, mainly.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
We need to wind down and have some fun, I say we hit up the Amusement Park.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Who would want to go to the prison? You'll get ambushed by renegade soldiers and held hostage as they prepare WMDs. Amuse yourselves!

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Epikyur.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Amusement Planet Epikyur, no question. Dark Regulus clearly needs to be our last major opponent before the finale.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Interesting facts about Neverland and the bonus video, in no particular order:
  • A lot of the bosses' moves had much more ridiculous names. Heck, they even had slightly more ridiculous titles prior to localization:
    • Baelfael's title was apparently Crimson Lotus Flame instead of just The Crimson Flame.
      • Fire Punch was formerly Flame Blow.
      • Flame Wave was formerly Fire Wave.
    • Behemos's title was apparently Governor of the Frozen Spring instead of Lord of the Frozen Wastes.
      • Ice Ball was formerly Ice Shot.
      • Ice Storm was formerly Ice Dust.
      • Ice Crusher was formerly just Ice Crush.
    • Ashtarth's title was apparently King of the Wild Wind instead of Lord of the Wind.
      • Tornado was formerly Death Scream. :allears:
      • Typhoon was formerly Fear Hurricane. :allears:
      • Zephyr was formerly Stride Move. :magical:
  • Baelfael, Behemos, and Ashtarth all had Instant Knock Out/One-Hit K.O. attacks (that glowing thing Zhael did before dashing towards you in Episode 4) that were apparently removed for the game's international release. There's a video of someone playing the Japanese release on emulator out there showing all of those off, but since it contains spoilers, here's tiny gifs of the removed ones only instead:
    • Baelfael's Hellfire
    • Behemos's Ice Requiem (the only OHKO with an aura that doesn't involve rushing at you!)
    • Ashtarth's Rave the Shadow :allears:
    No, I have no idea why Ashtarth's move names are so ridiculous and ill-fitting, but I love it. He must've been a much more different character in the original release, dialogue-wise.
    I also find it neat that whoever uploaded the video I got these from appears to also be a Mexican gamer. :shobon:
  • I discovered what the jingle after destroying the 2 second-floor flamethrowers in Neverland triggered; It opened up a room west of the first rooms that contains the earliest available Remote Bomb Power-Up of the stage. Footage has been recorded and will probably show up as another bonus video once next update rolls around.
  • It looks like there's no Carry Bomb/Blue Glove Power-Up in Neverland. Buying the Full Power item from the shop (1,000 coins) or having the Guardian Sleeves appears to be the only way to get that one bomb-staircase Custom Part in the stage.
  • You can save yourself some time backtracking through the stage (unless you care about Custom Parts) by bouncing yourself onto a lever and using Wind Bombs to reach a caged off-switch, and then getting Bomberman to die so you can restart the stage from the landing pad. It'll probably be in the future bonus video.
  • Animal-type Pommy's tail wags like crazy during its idle animation. Have some gifs of that:
I hope Sorata watches the start of Neverland so he can see I eventually complied with his wish way back in the Aquanet episode.

Anyway, remember that we count the votes as tallied once Wednesday dawns, so post 'em up!

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
I'm voting Amusement Park too, it was personally more interesting that what came after when I played this. Speaking of, I completely forgot about Molok's stage. Like, 100% I was just like "wait what's this level again?"

I guess it's part of the boring midgame for me. While the other last area is ...not as interesting, the final boss is, at least.

Like, maybe you will expand on what's so great about it that young me glossed over, but I feel of the two semi-final stages, the amusement park was the highlight.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
I'm thinking "Rave the Shadow" might have originally been "Rive the Shadow", because to rive is, according to the dictionary:

to tear or rend apart: to rive meat from a bone.

to separate by striking; split; cleave.

to rend, harrow, or distress (the feelings, heart, etc.).

So besides possibly being a bad translation, it seems likely that they decided "Eh, they won't know what that means, let's go with the one that sounds Kooler and Xtremez."

This is actually a fascinating look into the minds of the people who localized this game, as it makes you wonder what the gently caress they've been smoking, eh.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

No no, the ridiculous names I listed were apparently the Japanese names for the moves, not the other way around! "Rave the Shadow" didn't actually make it into the International release because, well, Baelfael, Behemos, and Ashtarth's Instant Knockout moves were removed entirely from those. We got Tornado and Typhoon, the boring ones (Zephyr being the exception, considering Stride Move was original accompanying Death, Fear, and other dark-edgelord things :allears:).

Of course, it's possible that it's still a mistranslation- the place I got the comparisons from is a known den for scum and villainy GameFAQs, after all.
The person writing the script transcript guide admits that the two people involved are not well versed in Japanese, or at the very least are only self-taught.

I've not actually played Baku Bomberman 2 in its original state in any way, and as far as I could tell there's no screenshots or videos that I could peruse showing off the text in the purchaseable "hint" boss moveset lists. For all I know the game might straight up list Ashtarth's moves in plain English. :shrug:

ElTipejoLoco fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 26, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Epikyur won pretty handily, so Loco's sending me his footage now.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I was going to make a post about how you have a dumb way of pronouncing Altair, but then I looked it up and found out that I've been saying it wrong since 1997.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
If I imported a game that totally isn't Bomberman, but was developed by HudsonSoft and has many Bomberman mechanics, would that be alright to post here, or would you prefer I keep it in its own thread?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

GamesAreSupernice posted:

If I imported a game that totally isn't Bomberman, but was developed by HudsonSoft and has many Bomberman mechanics, would that be alright to post here, or would you prefer I keep it in its own thread?

:suspense:

I want to see more of this, no matter in what thread.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I don't know what the gently caress I just watched, but I'd watch an LP of it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The trailer looks exactly like the one for Deep Freeze. Please do share more.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alright! That should be happening soon then.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Neverland is totally the nature planet, but it didn't wanna grow up from the early primordial hellscape into a verdant woodsy wonderland

also Behemos' ohko looks way too hard to dodge; all of those attacks look rad but I'm glad they dropped them from the early bosses

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play DNA: Dark Native Apostle

DNA was a game developed by HudsonSoft for the PS2 way back in 2001. It was a very, very quiet release. Not many people played it, fewer people recorded it for posterity, and now I'm here. The game is a bit of an odd mixture. If you ever wanted to fuse Bomberman with an indie graphic novel, Resident Evil, and countless escape the room games, this is your cup of tea. The action mostly revolves around bombing your enemies to death in the same fashion that was popularized in Hudson's flagship title, but this isn't really an action game. Most of the time is spent exploring and wracking your brain to find out where you could've possibly left that last important item. If that combination sounds too weird to be fun for you, hopefully it'll still be entertaining to watch. Just don't expect anything quite as bombastic as the intro song.

Videos

After many battles fought, we've finally come to end.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 13, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
This looks ridiculous in all of the right ways. I think even Travis would get a kick out of this game.
I actually liked that intro theme too.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ThornBrain posted:

I actually liked that intro theme too.

DNA is on the set, you just lost your breath
(Your soul is overcome with fear)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It is time for our door unlocking to level up.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

:siren:Likely Last Vote!:siren:
  • Prison Planet Thantos - (Last elemental bomb, Good ending)
  • Warship Noah - (Bad ending)
Loco will show off both endings eventually, so this is more about which ending you want to see first.

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
Thantos, don't deprive Loco of permanent remote bombs for warship Noah :(

EDIT: Now I remember why I considered remote bombs so essential for Epikur

Reimou fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 1, 2016

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

I'm an idiot who forgot epicureanism. The amusement park planet is fittingly named after a type of hedonism... save for the fact that the park's attractions are pretty darn lethal, but you get the idea.

Epikyur is strange in that it's the only stage that offers a hint in the shop if you've visited it once. The hint only really illustrates the whole "loading a new room advances the clock over the drawbridge by 30 minutes" thing, though... which is not what I was hoping it would address. :eng99: I also checked if you can buy the hint after you've beaten Epikyur and thus no longer need it: You can. At least it's dirt cheap at 100 coins I guess.

I guess that puzzle must've been a thing that stumped testers or something despite there being a lot of tells about it: I don't know if it's noticeable in the recording or not, but there's a pretty loud ticking sound every time a room first loads throughout the whole stage, even mid cut-scenes (i.e.- before and after the coaster's loop), with the one exception being the two scenes where the clock is zoomed in on. It gets annoying when you consider the ticking will continue even once the relevant puzzle's been solved. Makes me wonder if the hint was added before or after all the sound effects and text referring to it or if all of those combined were deemed necessary to help players out.

I also forgot to mention: That popcorn cart in fountain-moat room? Always drops a buttered corn food item when destroyed. :3:

Anyway, DNA looks neat so far. Not sure how I feel about amnesiac Bionic Bomb-mando immediately deciding to choke the one living person he came across who wasn't immediately hostile to him, though. :stare: At least he didn't accidentally plant a bomb on the back of her neck with his Infinity Gauntlet bionic arm?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

It is time for our door unlocking to level up.

I take it shuriken and pistols aren't much better pickups than stones and flamethrowers?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Last Transmission posted:

I take it shuriken and pistols aren't much better pickups than stones and flamethrowers?

I'm going to go out of my way to say that virtually every alternate weapon is useless, save for a single one we involuntarily use

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It is time to finally escape the room. Wait, building. It's a building.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

A short in-between level with a giant worm in it

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
We only got one vote, and it was for Thantos, so we're heading there next.

In other news, bit of a fuckup in the prep for Super Bomberman 5! :v:
I edited and rendered all of the footage together forever ago, and I recently made the idiot decision to save over the project file. With no means of recovering the old project and no old autosave from Vegas to draw on, that leaves me with either using the lower quality preview videos that I send out for commentary or re-editing everything again.
Thankfully it's still at 60fps but the image quality is a bit faded and low res compared to the raw captures. It probably wouldn't be that noticeable, but I still wanted people's feedback: should I use the preview vids, or would you rather I re-edited the better quality captures?
For reference, here's a screencap from each:

Preview

Raw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If it doesn't take long, do the better resolution option.

• Locked thread