Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Quiet down about condos or you will awaken the dreaded Three Olives from its slumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
Sometimes I think I would like to live in a high rise condo in a big city because you are right there in the middle of all the action.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Lt. Tanaka posted:

Sometimes I think I would like to live in a high rise condo in a big city because you are right there in the middle of all the action.

there's always some tard screaming STELLA at the top of his lungs at 3am though, every night, without fail

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's like all the worst parts of renting combined with all the worst parts of owning. Imagine all the financial risk of buying a house except condos don't hold their value at all close to a house. Now imagine all the worst parts of renting, except the other idiot tenants are owners and no one can tell them what to do or kick them out. Kicking out a condo owner is nearly impossible, so deal with it if they're smoking or noisy or running a meth lab.

Never buy a condo. Rent a nice apartment or buy a house.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
under a certain minimum standard of suite sizes and ensuite laundry it's literally a hive building out of judge dredd except instead of being populated by cool mutant cyborg gangs it's just floor after floor of bros listening to edm and throwing glass bottles off their balconies while their girlfriends let their purse dogs poo poo in the hallways

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

FogHelmut posted:

Pretty lovely. There are all kinds of lame rules you have to follow from the association, and they tell you get hosed when you need them to do something. Your upstairs neighbors have four kids in a two bedroom unit, and they run laps up and down the hallway because the mother is too pregnant again to take them outside.

can you have loud sex

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Ocean Book posted:

can you have loud sex

if the shifty homosexuals upstairs are any indication, yes

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Lt. Tanaka posted:

*city is filled with people looking at smartphones*

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

nice

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Buy an apartment instead, it's better than a condo.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

3o's downstairs neighbor account identified

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Condos are great if you're rich enough to walk away and forget about breaking even. If not then :laugh:

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Living in a condo is OK. It's important to remember that you'll be paying fees on top of your mortgage. In my current condo, my fees+mortgage+taxes are still about $700 less than I'd pay to just live in an apartment of similar quality in the same area.

That's probably the best way to think about it: a condo is an apartment where you build equity, but it's not as great as a house. At the same time, the repairs that come up in a condo are small things you can probably tackle yourself if you're at all handy and are willing to watch a few youtube videos.

There are some advantages to living in a condo. You don't have to worry about grounds keeping or snow removal. A big disadvantage can be unpleasant neighbors, but that can be an issue anywhere you live.

For further anecdotal evidence, I've had intimate knowledge of three different condo living situations:

1. The condo I live in now- Very quiet. I once heard someone praying in Egyptian upstairs during Egyptian new year at like 12:45 am so everything was completely still. Even then I could barely hear it. On the 1st floor some people are major dope smokers and the foyer can occasionally get stinky. That's not a problem where I live on the 3rd floor.

2. My great aunt's condo- Also super quiet. Had an awesome pool. Her unit was pretty dinky though. We used to stuff three families in there at once. I don't know how we did it.

3. My friend's condo- Also super quiet. No druggies or anything else. He did have a little old lady living underneath him though that would scream up through the floor if he made any noise. So he was living a literal family guy skit.

So condos have their faults, but they're a reasonable way to get into the housing market if you're living in a pricey urban area like NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA, DC, or whatever. If you're living in Smalltown Midwest I don't think it's a good idea. Just save another year and go into a real house.

For reference, my condo has gained about 22% in value over the past two years and is now roughly at parity to where it was before the housing crash. Hooray for bottom of the market.

Gameko fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 18, 2015

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

What's it like to live in a condo that's 500sqft? It's all I can afford.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

It's like all the worst parts of renting combined with all the worst parts of owning. Imagine all the financial risk of buying a house except condos don't hold their value at all close to a house. Now imagine all the worst parts of renting, except the other idiot tenants are owners and no one can tell them what to do or kick them out. Kicking out a condo owner is nearly impossible, so deal with it if they're smoking or noisy or running a meth lab.

Never buy a condo. Rent a nice apartment or buy a house.

yes.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
My sister lives in a condo and she has crotchety downstairs neighbor who bang on the ceiling at literally everything. Walking around a bit too loud? Bang on the ceiling. Moving a chair? Bang on the ceiling. Pulling down the murphy for guests? Bang on the ceiling.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Otacon posted:

OP what is it like to live inside of a CONDOM???????

lol bringing this back for round two suck it op

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

social vegan posted:

lol bringing this back for round two suck it op

well its ok for the first couple days then gets stifling because you run out of food

after that its all a blur

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Parody thread idea: how is it to live in a CONDOM?

LOL!!

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Nooner posted:

Parody thread idea: how is it to live in a CONDOM?

LOL!!

whoah looks like the something awful forums have their very own "FAT JEW"

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

social vegan posted:

whoah looks like the something awful forums have their very own "FAT JEW"

Don't call me a Jew you fucker

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp
Its like this...

But, fatter and uglier.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gameko posted:

Living in a condo is OK. It's important to remember that you'll be paying fees on top of your mortgage. In my current condo, my fees+mortgage+taxes are still about $700 less than I'd pay to just live in an apartment of similar quality in the same area.

That's probably the best way to think about it: a condo is an apartment where you build equity, but it's not as great as a house. At the same time, the repairs that come up in a condo are small things you can probably tackle yourself if you're at all handy and are willing to watch a few youtube videos.

There are some advantages to living in a condo. You don't have to worry about grounds keeping or snow removal. A big disadvantage can be unpleasant neighbors, but that can be an issue anywhere you live.

For further anecdotal evidence, I've had intimate knowledge of three different condo living situations:

1. The condo I live in now- Very quiet. I once heard someone praying in Egyptian upstairs during Egyptian new year at like 12:45 am so everything was completely still. Even then I could barely hear it. On the 1st floor some people are major dope smokers and the foyer can occasionally get stinky. That's not a problem where I live on the 3rd floor.

2. My great aunt's condo- Also super quiet. Had an awesome pool. Her unit was pretty dinky though. We used to stuff three families in there at once. I don't know how we did it.

3. My friend's condo- Also super quiet. No druggies or anything else. He did have a little old lady living underneath him though that would scream up through the floor if he made any noise. So he was living a literal family guy skit.

So condos have their faults, but they're a reasonable way to get into the housing market if you're living in a pricey urban area like NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA, DC, or whatever. If you're living in Smalltown Midwest I don't think it's a good idea. Just save another year and go into a real house.

For reference, my condo has gained about 22% in value over the past two years and is now roughly at parity to where it was before the housing crash. Hooray for bottom of the market.

My condo has lost about 15% of its value in the last 5 years since I bought it at the "bottom" of the market, despite updating all of the rooms from the original 1982 stuff. Oh and yeah small stuff you can tackle like when I replaced two studs in the wall due to termite damage. Cool, I own the studs. Thanks association. That did take less time than replacing all of the original vinyl tile floors, various plumbing, installing ceiling fans, etc. Probably got them because the previous owner had windows installed (along with all the owners in the building) by some fly by night jackass so they all leak. Flexseal all over that bitch. Got more silicone than Bang Bros.

I mean painting the ceiling every other month when the jackass landlord upstairs decides to do his own plumbing work, or when the little kids up there overflow the bathtub/toilet/sink. I've got enough Kilz on the ceiling you could put a swimming pool between the floors.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 18, 2015

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i heard china has been printing the materials for a latex condo

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How is a "Condo" diferent from a Flat? In the UK, the poor immigrant people get given free flats to live in because they can't afford houses because they are full of the other immigrants we let in.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ThePriceIsRight posted:

What's it like to live in a condo that's 500sqft? It's all I can afford.
Prepare to have space for you and no one else apart from a drawer worth of their stuff. Choose between having a desk and a TV unless you want to wall-mount the TV in the bedroom or unreasonably high above said desk.

If the layout is really good and the kitchen doesn't dominate the main room you might have better luck but a lot of suites like that are door -> kitchen -> living space with bedroom and bathroom branching off one side. Don't buy one of those to live in it; they're meant to be investment properties for Russians / Chinese with the money to buy thirty of them in a single building.

The balcony or your neighbour's balcony will have direct line of sight into a bedroom. The balconies above you can probably see into yours. This is especially bad on in the inside of corners in a non-rectangular building.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

spud posted:

How is a "Condo" diferent from a Flat? In the UK, the poor immigrant people get given free flats to live in because they can't afford houses because they are full of the other immigrants we let in.

A condo is kinda like the middle between a house and a flat/apt. Larger but still generally communal building

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
im not reading thread. how long did it take three olives to respond?

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

A misanthrope posted:

im not reading thread. how long did it take three olives to respond?

# ? Aug 17, 2015 8:34 PM PST

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

I live in a condo, and it does suck to have both HOA and neighbors that can bitch about everything you do.

Things like: You want AC? :

- Submit a whole bunch of poo poo to the HOA.
- HOA says OK, but make sure your neighbors are OK with it.
- 3 neighbors don't care, but the 4th doesn't want it because another neighbor has it and theirs is loud
- Have AC guy come with a decibel meter and some speakers to simulate how loud it will be
- Neighbor says "OK" and then they decide to get AC installed too
- A year later a neighbor moves out, and new neighbors complain AC is too loud

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
lol if you live in a building without central air that doesn't get arbitrarily toggled between heating and cooling by date instead of actual weather conditions

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

For condos you have to pay for two layers of insurance to cover bad things happening to your unit and also cover damage caused to other units e.g a pipe breaks in your condo
flooding a unit below you.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The association banned dogs but the 80 year old retired cop doesn't give a gently caress and has his dog poo poo all over the place in front of the president's unit.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

FogHelmut posted:

The association banned dogs but the 80 year old retired cop doesn't give a gently caress and has his dog poo poo all over the place in front of the president's unit.

dont worry he's a cop so he going to hell soon

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
I recently learned that poor people also live in condos but they are full of other tacky poor people.

Don't live in a condo if you are a poor, the only condos worth living in are full service buildings which is pretty nice it's like living in a hotel.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Three Olives posted:

I recently learned that poor people also live in condos but they are full of other tacky poor people.

Don't live in a condo if you are a poor, the only condos worth living in are full service buildings which is pretty nice it's like living in a hotel.

i agree and im poor but obviously not a condo person.

i want to be rich one day and live in a nice condo.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Three Olives posted:

Man, fuckin poor people starting flop houses in general. Nothing ruins property value as nice as some lower middle class rear end in a top hat trying to take care of the bills by having his 7-11 employee friends sublet

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
it's loving great man

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Three Olives posted:

the only condos worth living in are full service buildings which is pretty nice it's like living in a hotel.

that sounds extremely legit, can I afford a nice condo in LA on my salary??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Booblord Zagats posted:

Man, fuckin poor people starting flop houses in general. Nothing ruins property value as nice as some lower middle class rear end in a top hat trying to take care of the bills by having his 7-11 employee friends sublet

Poor people just ruin everything, apartments, houses, condos. As long as you keep the riff-raff out condo living can be very nice, the only kind of things my neighbors "fight" about are like the temperature of the gym and if the pet ambassador is doing his job.

• Locked thread