Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

hey guys, i was wondering if you could look at this server build for me and tell me what you think? this is my first server, and i am wanting to build it from scratch. i'm not going to buy these parts right out, i am just testing the waters.

for context, the server is going to be pretty much for the following:

-private game server
-data storage (music, videos, other)
-VPN
-possible DVR
-VM’s pentesting, multiple VM’s will be used
-Computer backup

CPU
motherboard
RAM
drives
case
power supply

i'm contemplating whether or not to have it headless. my main task in this is to build a server that is as powerful as can be with the less money possible. considering it's my first and not exactly anything but just something to mess with, i'm shooting making an enterprise server at a low cost (searching for parts is fun!), even if there are some parts that need fixing because what the hell, just gives me something more to do.

any suggestions, critiques, advice, would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'd post this in the Parts Picking Megathread, but make sure you include what you will actually be doing with the machine. If a game server, what games? How many players? For file storage/backup, how much data? What's your budget? Do you have intended operating systems? Etc.

• Locked thread