Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
They also just renamed him to Rupin or Rupan in a bunch of stuff, though I can't think of what specific things had that change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If I recall, the justification for GotF and Totoro being released as a double feature was that the audience was gonna need something happy after Grave of the Fireflies, but this might be apocryphal.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
For a Few Dollars More is my favorite of the trilogy, honestly.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

For some context, from 2014 into early 2015, I was part of a podcast with fellow goons Liar Lyre and Burkion (and occasional other guest).

Oh poo poo, you were one of the Podcasters with Attitude guys? :stare: I loved that podcast! I didn't even know it was goonmade, honestly.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Oh God people who know our content we need to run away!

Everything is Jason's fault and I am only to blame for when things are good.

jivjov posted:

Oh. Oh poo poo. People remember us! We had/have FANS!

It was a great podcast, y'all can chill! I grew up with the original MMPR and slowly lost interest as I got older, so looking back on the old stuff and seeing where it went was inherently really interesting to me, and y'all were entertaining to listen to on top of that. :unsmith:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Generally the "why" with podcasts is "because we can and we're bored"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Ikiru is probably my second-favorite Kurosawa, and we won't hit my favorite until very close to the end. Excited for this one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

Out of curiosity, what's your favorite?

Ran. Like I said, we've got a good while. :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

It was one of the most beautiful things ever put to film.

Man, you practically don't even need to write a review, because this just about sums Ran up.

e: not that I don't want to hear your thoughts in more detail, ofc, just that that's pretty much a completely correct opinion

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Random Stranger posted:

Rhapsody in August, however, is pretty much an ode to conservative Japanese politics. It is one of those things that you have to know a bit about the politics to get that aspect of the film, though, so a casual viewer might only walk away with a ham handed anti-nuclear message.

Can you expand on this any? My assumption when I hear "conservative Japanese politics" is "apologia for Imperial Japan," and holy gently caress do I not have time for that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Random Stranger posted:

(We're talking about Rhapsody in August here.)
There's a little bit of that in Rhapsody in August, enough to make it a clear background element. The stronger underlying theme is that western influences are weakening Japan and if they'd just turn back to the good old days (Imperial Japan being the last time that the "good old days" existed, of course) then everyone would be better off.

Most people react more to the US shaming for the Nagasaki atomic bomb since it's blatant, pandering to the film's Japanese audience, and completely ham fisted regardless of your views on the situation (let's not start that debate, especially when we'd have to do it in spoiler coverage; I'm sure that we'll be doing that when jivjov gets to this movie anyway). I find that conservatism of the film much more unpleasant.

Yeah, I wasn't meaning to start a big debate until we get there (if even then), just curious on whether I was taking the right assumption away from what you said, since that movie's one of my Kurosawa blind spots.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Seriously, what is it with movies and John Denver?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Spectral Elvis posted:

Assuming you haven't seen them already, Tarantino also stoletook inspiration from the Female Prisoner series of films for Kill Bill (which, like Lady Snowblood, also star Kaji Meiko in the lead role and soundtrack). I've seen some argue that Oren Ishi is based on (or actually is) the main character Matsushima Nami/Sasori, although I really don't see it myself. I wouldn't describe the films as accessible as Lady Snowblood, but if you can get past the violence and 'pinky' aspect the first 3 films are pretty solid. The series went rapidly downhill after the 3rd film, and became unwatchable garbage when Kaji Meiko quit after the 4th.

The second in the series, Jailhouse 41, stands out as being particular visual - not sure how to describe other than heady.

Not at all relevant to Tarantino, but the iconic image of Sasori is a key plot item in Sion Sono's 'Love Exposure'.

I don't think O-Ren is supposed to be Sasori, but the character is absolutely inspired by the movies; she'd fit in perfectly as a villain or side character in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Truly... worth the ellipses...

gently caress off.