Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Fair warning, the first few Kurosawa's are rough. In my opinion "One Wonderful Sunday" is his first true gem.

Also I'll be honest, I don't get the idea of joining Kurosawa and Miyazaki, their style are so completely different. It would be like somebody creating a thread to watch every Walt Disney and every Orson Welles film . I don't see the connection aside from the country they lived in.

zandert33 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

I've seen most of Kurosawa's work but I've had a bunch of Ozu stuff sitting in my Hulu queue for a while and haven't gotten into it yet. Whats the best place to start? Tokyo Story?

Tokyo Story is a safe bet, but I actually enjoyed "Floating Weeds" more.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Raxivace posted:

Hell I'd go as far as saying One Wonderful Sunday and Sanshiro Sugata: Part II are genuinely bad films

Sanshiro Part II, sure, but "One Wonderful Sunday" a "bad" film? I think you're in the minority stating that.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

jivjov posted:

Overall, I give this a hearty recommend, but maybe not quite the effusive praise that seems to be heaped upon Akira. The issues with side plots feeling disconnected does make me want to check out the manga though, see how things play out there.

If you liked the movie, I would strongly recommend the manga. If I'm not mistaken the movie was being produced before the manga was completed, so some things in the book ended up differently than the movie. They greatly expand on a lot of points, and as a whole it really helps to make the story more cohesive. I would have loved to see the manga turned into an animated mini-series, but doubt that would ever happen.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

I've seen 16 Kurosawa films so far and liked most of them. I went through his 1940s films last month and started on the 1950s. Ikiru should be the next one. I'm woefully behind on other Japanese classics, though. Only one Ozu (Tokyo Story) and one Mizoguchi (Ugetsu). What are some other essentials by the two? Also, what are some other essentials?

I have my Netflix queue lined up to catch up on Miyazaki since I've only seen My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, and The Wind Rises (plus the Ghibli productions The Cat Returns and Arietty).

I'm not a huge Ozu fan, his only film I liked was "Floating Weeds", so others may be able to provide more insight there.
For Mizoguchi "Sansho the Bailiff" and "The Life of Oharu" are musts, and I also really like "Street of Shame".

Other essentials are:

Kobayashi's "Hara Kiri" and "Kwaidan" (wait for the Criterion re-release before checking this one out)
Gosha's earlier films are good, and Naruse is really good, but finding is films is very difficult.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Yeah, let's get to the good Kurosawa stuff.

Fact is, that I bet only a handful people on this board have seen the early Kurosawa films, and those who have don't have too much to say about them. They are pretty obscure.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

jivjov posted:

One other comment I have is on the reuse of actors. From what I've been told, I'm going to see many familiar faces throughout Kurosawa's filmography, and it started here with the return of Susumu Fujita. It was nice to see him again, as I really did enjoy the Sanshiro duology, but I hope it doesn't become too blatant or immersion-affecting as his filmography continues.

I never found Kurosawa's reuse of actors to be distracting (because it's never done with a wink or to be a self reference thing). It's more interesting to watch a character go from a bad rear end Samurai to a pathetic loser between two films. I think it really shows to highlight the range of these great actors.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I went back and revisited this film last night as well, I think it still holds up for me. It's not a flawless film, but it has so much heart and I cared about the characters and liked them. The scene when they are waiting in line to the orchestra stood out in particular to me last night, and how dejected they were when the scalpers bought everything up, destroying their plans.

Really looking forward to you watching some top tier Kurosawa, and reading those reviews.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

It annoyed me that some minor production company somehow got the rights to the US DVD, but out a less than perfect DVD, and then the division got shut down.

Wonder if Criterion has made attempt to try to get the rights at some point since. It is one of the better "minor" Kurosawa films.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I watched Throne of Blood yesterday and really liked it but have a question: Did Washizu order Miki's death, or did his wife do it?

Throne of Blood is a retelling of MacBeth, so I'd say Washizu ordered it.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

jivjov posted:

I don't know a drat thing about Russian literature; I take it his works are considered worldwide classics, then?

I never read "The Idiot", but have read another of his books, "The Brothers Karamazov", and it's fantastic. His books seem to largely be about the futility of life (I mean he's Russian, of course his books are in that vein).

Seconding that I wouldn't get too hung up on "The Idiot". It's sad the movie was butchered, and I would love to see the full release found, but it doesn't keep me up at night like the lost "Ambersons".

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I'm not a huge fan of Ebert, but I have always loved his review of Ikiru. I'd recommend giving it a read after you watch the movie.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Yeah, I sort of feel like the Samurai trilogy is a bit much to get a taste of a "by the books" samurai film. They are by no means bad films, just not particularly great.

If you want something more basic, I'd say go with "Three Outlaw Samurai", "Kill!" or "Sword of the Beast".
For something with more depth "Harakiri", "The Sword of Doom" or "Samurai Rebellion".

If you want to get into 70s samurai films it's almost like a different genre.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Dodesukaden is another, less appreciated, color film Kurosawa did. That movie has an overall interesting look and style, and I honestly don't believe it would have worked as well in b/w.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Have their been any remarkable Japanese directors that have risen up during this decade? Sion Sono is the only one that I will watch every movie he releases (and even he actually started in the 00s) . I can't think of a single other one that's recently piqued my interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Spatulater bro! posted:

This seems like the most appropriate thread to mention Lady Snowblood, which I just watched for the first time. What a gorgeous, exciting, badass movie. The cinematography and direction are exquisite. The exaggerated blood spurts and over-the-top kills give it an otherworldly fairy tale vibe. I loved this movie.

And I almost hate mentioning Tarantino, but it's impossible to see this movie and not recognize how much of it inspired Kill Bill. I like QT and I like Kill Bill, but watching Lady Snowblood sheds a ton of light on QT's "quirky" style. When you sew together parts of disparate films that most of the audience hasn't seen, yes your style will appear cool and interesting. That's pretty much all he's doing. Yes I realize this isn't news to anyone.

If you haven't seen them, make it a priority to see the "Lone Wolf and Cub" films.