Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Random Stranger posted:

Imagine if there was a girl in the film who was a slacker and went around saying, "What's the point? The US has a dozen times our industrial base and we're constantly losing."

I guess there's a reason that not too many propaganda films have a Rhett Butler character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

jivjov posted:

Atlantis: The Lost Empire Released June 3rd 1986

I think you've made an error.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
As great a film as it is, it seems like a strange choice for a Father's Day film, beyond the whole "hey, Dad's like western's, right?"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The truly curious thing about the Earthsea animation was that Ghibli came up with their own original (so to speak) story, when the second book, The Tombs of Atuin, could have so easily been adapted to fit the Ghibi style.

For those of you who haven't read it, The Tombs of Atuin is about a young girl who was taken from her family to be raised as the high priestess of an old religion. Between growing up isolated, learning to survive political intrigue, and handling religious functions, she slowly comes to suspect that the nameless gods that dwell in the Tombs are far more real than even her fellow priestesses believe. One day, a foreign wizard appears with the temerity to brave the lightless tombs and rob the gods, and she has to choose between fully adopting the identity of high priestess and sacrificing the intruder or risking her life to escape the society that has imprisoned her.

It features:

• a young girl as the protagonist
  • who faces numerous moral choices
  • as part of her coming of age story.

• a magical land,
  • where the spirits are alive
  • although few adults realize it.

• a major theme in power dynamics between adults and children
  • the importance of becoming your own person,
  • and not repeating the mistakes of those who came before you.

Bonus: the girl also learns proper respect for nature along the way.

It basically is a Ghibli film already!

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 14, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You have my permission to watch the good movie in a good setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Maxwell Lord posted:

Honestly it's a film that took a couple of viewings to hit me too. Granted part of that was at first I didn't get why everyone was casually accepting all these forest ghosts and is this some weird Japanese theology, and the answer to that is "sorta". The family's a bit more credulous than one IRL would be but that's part of the tone.

"Forest ghost" is a good description of Totoro, in that he and the other spirits are seemingly conjured up by the kids in response to their mother being in the hospital and their father having commitments that keeps him from always making time for him. Totoro is also a father of two younger spirits, but he not only has time for them, but he can comfort the human kids as well. The whole village pitches in to help take care of the kids, and as Totoro is a part of the village, naturally Totoro helps out too.