Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Ozu:
- I Was Born, But...
- Tokyo Twilight
- Floating Weeds
- An Autumn Afternoon

Mizoguchi:
- The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums
- The Life of Oharu
- Sansho the Bailiff

As for other classics, you should check out Harakiri (Masaki Kobayashi), Floating Clouds (Naruse), Vengeance is Mine (Imamura), In the Realm of the Senses (Oshima), Branded to Kill (Suzuki), Woman in the Dunes (Teshigahara). They're universally praised in their own right and I think they provide a good introduction to the sort of themes and techniques of each director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Has anyone here read Donald Richie's book on Kurosawa? I've been looking through it and dude has some kind of odd opinions, especially for our modern times Like he has a relatively lengthy chapter on No Regrets For Our Youth full of praise that borders on nonsensical, comparing Hara in the movie to performances like Jeanne Moreau's in Jules and Jim. There's also this weird point he tries to make where the poor characters in the movie represent liberals (Because we leftists think of the poor as "our heroes" it seems), as apparently Hara's character has to reject both conservatism and liberalism to find her true "self" or something. I don't really get the reading, and Kurosawa's films have never struck me as political in that kind of way.

They're political, it's just not as obvious. His films are definitely to the right of Mizoguchi's, Kobayashi's, and Oshima's. Of all the canonical Japanese filmmakers that I can think of, he's probably the most Western and the most individualistic too.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Both of Goro's films aren't very good.

Earthsea for some very obvious reasons that have already been stated. Bad choice of source material to adopt, no real sense of adventure given that there's only two settings, and the whole thing just feels lifeless.

From Up On Poppy Hill cashes in on some sickeningly sweet 1950s Japanese nostalgia and almost flounders completely on a really dumb plotline. Both strain very hard to appear look and feel like a Ghibli film but fall flat on their face. It's not bad but any measure but it isn't very good.

KaptainKrunk fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 14, 2016