Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

I'm the CO ME on her thighs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

School Nickname posted:

Because drivers generally don't check their mirrors, the cyclist is inevitably gonna misjudge the space and knock off a side mirror, filtering anywhere near a bus/truck is suicidal.

Also dumb bitches get road rage at seeing cyclists zip past them.

Lol no

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I bike all the time and it seems to me drivers and bikers are all terrible idiots who can't follow simple loving instructions. Cops should enforce all traffic laws with huge penalties for all conveyances.

Not properly stopping at a stop sign? Who loving cares

Not maintaining lane? Legal to sideswipe with lovely car or truck

Drunk driving? Who loving cares

Parking on the curb? This doesn't mean anything. You mean normal parking? You mean parking on the sidewalk? Who parks on the sidewalk.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013

Pomp posted:

i'm sorry you're jealous of my sexy, sexy thighs op

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

I always bike on the wrong side, but on the sidewalk. I want to see the car that will inevitably veer off the road and end my life, that's my reasoning.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Butyraceous posted:

I always bike on the wrong side, but on the sidewalk. I want to see the car that will inevitably veer off the road and end my life, that's my reasoning.

I can empathize with this line of reasoning

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I bike all the time and it seems to me drivers and bikers are all terrible idiots who can't follow simple loving instructions.

This is the answer. lovely people are going to be lovely regardless of what vehicles they're in.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Butyraceous posted:

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
Once again I want to highlight just how easy it is to run over cyclists with a car. With just a little practice you can do it without even so much as scratching your car or getting blood on it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaWsVHv5dGc

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Uncle Jesse's wife when she was jailbait

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhabgvIIXik

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

All of these people seem like they would be able to pedal at least 25 mph and not gently caress up my drive home

Unlike the overweight girl in the fixed gear bike slowing down 2 lanes of traffic on Riverside drive today

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGKS_0vvKzU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
It's fitting that the guy who hates cyclists also appears to believe that being taxed is the worst imaginable thing that can happen to a person

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

ghlbtsk posted:

It would help if traffic laws for bikes were consistent. It some places it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk.

I agree with the registration and licensing bit, but I don't know how much it would help. Maybe weed out the worst of the casual riding offenders who don't have the slightest idea what they're doing (i.e. riding on the sidewalk on the wrong side of the street with no helmet at night and no lights)? Maybe generate revenue for dedicated bike lanes or Rail To Trail conversions and maintenance? Terrible drivers prove that just because you pass a test it doesn't mean you'll follow the laws.

Also I've never seen a cop ticket a cyclist for anything so . . . stricter enforcement?

Or you could keep children's hobbies restricted to empty school parking lots on Sunday afternoons.

Unless you're not allowed near schools...

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM9Eh2uQ7Ek

naem
May 29, 2011

I live in a city with big marked bike lanes and ride bikes and it's great and I have a big penis

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

School Nickname posted:

Because drivers generally don't check their mirrors, the cyclist is inevitably gonna misjudge the space and knock off a side mirror, filtering anywhere near a bus/truck is suicidal.

Also dumb bitches get road rage at seeing cyclists zip past them.

wait what? what kinda broken brain do you have to "inevitably misjudge the space and knock off a side mirror"?

i have been riding my bike in urban settings for quite a while now and have never done this, it is really not very difficult ??

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Booblord Zagats posted:

Think about it, those slow rear end pedal-monkeys never follow established traffic laws, swerve in and out of footpaths and motorways and dress like retard superheroes. I suggest we start requiring bike riders to get licensed and insured, as well as registering their vehicles like we do with cars. Let's simply legislate them out of existence, because all the gas they aren't burning is just buying us pointless despair as we wait for this human being Earth to burn.

Pretty much gently caress the poor and gently caress the middle/upper class pretending to share the struggle, lets get those bitch-made fucks pulling rickshaws and it's legal to run them over if they put one foot on the pavement

Best post ever. I stand with you in the spandex war, brother. In fact I almost ran over some gently caress on my country road last week going 30mph under the limit. Threw my beer can at him I was so pissed. Fuckin' fags.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Citrons have a computer controlled air suspension and that is why they're commonly used for, say, following horse racing.

Douche is still a douche.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

If you have a driver's license, congratulations - you have already been licensed to operate a bicycle on public roadways. I guess the whole hand-signals and cycling rules in the study book didn't really resonate with some people who took the driving test.

As for taxing bikes, a cyclist does absolutely no damage to asphaltic roadways (sunshine and temperature changes do more damage than bikes), unlike SUVs and every other personal automobile. And the assumption is that if you weren't cycling you'd be driving and doing damage to the roadways. So yes, please levy additional taxes against obese drivers who don't carpool and redistribute that to us cyclists.

As for insurance, if you don't already have the Russian mindset and have a couple GoPros strapped to your helmet front and back, I don't know what to tell you.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

naem posted:

I live in a city with big marked bike lanes and ride bikes and it's great and I have a big penis

i've lived in a city with big marked bike lanes and it was great, i even got to see some cops pull over idiot cyclists who weren't following road laws because the infrastructure is built around accounting for their existence. i've also lived in a county with no marked bike lanes and an entire tourism industry built around telling cyclists to just drive in the middle of the highway. maybe don't tax the cyclists, but tax the stupid animalfuckers who tell them it's okay to ride around like assholes clogging up a 55mph lane during rush hour

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 19, 2015

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Do It Once Right posted:

As for insurance, if you don't already have the Russian mindset and have a couple GoPros strapped to your helmet front and back, I don't know what to tell you.

Aim to kill, civilized people. Aim to kill.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
i know a lot of frustrated cyclists but its a lot funner when you view it as some sort of contact sport. keep a pipe under your crossbar so motorists have to pay the window tax when they get too close.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Verily I Shat posted:

IM A VEHICLE

NOW IM A PEDESTRIAN

OOPS NOW IM A VEHICLE

PEDESTRIAN AGAIN....RING RING

RING RING MY BELL IM GOING SLIGHTLY FAST SO IM MORE IMPORTANT MOVE OUT THE WAY!!!

Uhh, this is how to ride correctly. I'm sorry you're upset.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

PleasureKevin posted:

kill two cats then yourself

hey id love to but id probably get in trouble

id kill all the cats

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Once you've biked up even a few moderate inclines, it becomes apparent how much energy is really in a tablespoon of gasoline and it sort of horrifies you thereafter each time you see some douche typical person riding alone in an SUV. Moreso if they're acting like the cyclist is the impractical one.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
WE ARE NOT BOUND BY YOUR EARTH-RULES FOR WE ARE SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBFFrsvgu1Y

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Premeditated Toast posted:

WE ARE NOT BOUND BY YOUR EARTH-RULES FOR WE ARE SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBFFrsvgu1Y

Monkey Dust was pretty awesome.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

TwoFire posted:

Monkey Dust was pretty awesome.

Unlike self important assholes on bikes.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i really dont have many probs with cyclists unless their riding in large groups taking up the whole road going 25-30mph. idc if they routinely disregard traffic laws, but maybe they should idk. but adults that ride on the sidewalk in a city or any busy downtown area can gently caress right off and die

however ppl in cars that panic and practically freeze up when attempting to get past a solo person on a bicycle, slam on the brakes pull all the way to the otherside of the road and begin to cautiously overtake them only to floor it in desperation when they look up from their smartphone to see that they are about to collide head on with a dump truck. unless ur hauling a mobile home u should rarely even have to cross the double yellow unless the cyclist isnt fulfilling their end of "share the road".

ok that would cause me to panic and freeze up if i was driving :swoon:

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 19, 2015

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Mariana Horchata posted:

however ppl in cars that panic and practically freeze up when attempting to get past a solo person on a bicycle, slam on the brakes pull all the way to the otherside of the road and begin to cautiously overtake them only to floor it in desperation when they look up from their smartphone to see that they are about to collide head on with a dump truck. unless ur hauling a mobile home u should rarely even have to cross the double yellow unless the cyclist isnt fulfilling their end of "share the road"

At least here, the law is that you LITERALLY need to be 3' away from them. Seriously. The law is stupid. We just need to outlaw bicycles on roads without shoulders (and those that do :twisted:).

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
More bikers mean less car traffic

Unless they are the San Francisco bikers that lock down traffic every month for fun.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

TwoFire posted:

At least here, the law is that you LITERALLY need to be 3' away from them. Seriously. The law is stupid. We just need to outlaw bicycles on roads without shoulders (and those that do :twisted:).

that sort of thing crossed my mind in the past but i always figured in tight situations it was a lesser of two evils deal...besides without even going near the line in my car im still at least 2' from the bicycle ppl

MGL Chapter 89, Section 2 and Chapter 90, Section 14 posted:

Motorists must stay a safe distance to the left of a bicyclist (or any other vehicle) when passing. Motorists are also prohibited from returning to the right until safety clear of the bicyclist. Motorists must pass at a safe distance. If the lane is too narrow to pass safely, the motorist must use another lane to pass, or, if that is also unsafe, the motorist must wait until it is safe to pass.

ok not nearly as silly as i figured the law in Massachusetts would be

i am totally comfortable with riding a motorcycle just about anywhere but the one time i tried riding a bicycle across Boston in the middle of the night was absolutely horrifying

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 19, 2015

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Mariana Horchata posted:

that sort of thing crossed my mind in the past but i always figured in tight situations it was a lesser of two evils deal...besides without even going near the line in my car im still at least 2' from the bicycle ppl

ok not nearly as silly as i figured the law in Massachusetts would be

Yeah it is a lot more stupid here.. but ya know what? If it means hitting something squishy or something metal, I'm gonna aim for squishy. Sorry to your grandkids you'll never know.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

gigawhite posted:

i have 5 duis. how am I supposed to get around

same

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

TwoFire posted:

Yeah it is a lot more stupid here.. but ya know what? If it means hitting something squishy or something metal, I'm gonna aim for squishy. Sorry to your grandkids you'll never know.

yeah and in emergency situations where they witness an imminent car vs car collision despite whatever the circumstances are and they are still too righteous to hop onto onto the sidewalk/gtfo the road when it might prevent said accident then they deserve to be collateral damage.

but like u say aim for squishy and blast the horn, they'll move...right after they release a critical mass inside of their spandex

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 19, 2015

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Mariana Horchata posted:

yeah and in emergency situations where they witness an imminent car vs car collision despite whatever the circumstances are and they are still too righteous to hop onto onto the sidewalk/gtfo the road when it might prevent said accident then they deserve to be collateral damage

thankfully I haven't had to make this decision yet. I'd hate to have to get aftermarket parts for the car. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
It is illegal in many places for a bicyclist to ride on the sidewalk for very good reason and it should stay that way. If you ride your bike on the sidewalk because you are afraid of riding in the street or because you're oblivious then don't bother biking.

The gas tax should be raised to a buck and the money raised should be spent on the construction of separated bicycle lanes and mass transit.

• Locked thread