Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Premiere Date: Sunday August 23rd 2015 9/8c 90 minute pilot episode!
Episodes: 6
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDxew5SguVw

Well, it's late August which means we have about two months to go until everyone's favorite zombie show The Walking Dead returns to AMC in October. What's that you say? You can't wait that long? You have a insatiable appetite to watch zombie mayhem right away? Well, you are in luck! AMC has you covered with Fear the Walking Dead.

What is Fear the Walking Dead? Fear the Walking Dead is a companion show to The Walking Dead. It's not technically a spin-off because it doesn't feature any characters from The Walking Dead although it takes place in the same universe. Instead of being set in rural Georgia like the TWD, FTWD moves the action to the west coast and the thriving metropolis of L.A. and tells the story of the initial stages of the walker outbreak. Here is a synopsis from the AMC site:

quote:

Living in the same universe as The Walking Dead, Fear the Walking Dead is a gritty drama that explores the onset of the undead apocalypse through the lens of a fractured family. Set in a city where people come to escape, shield secrets, and bury their pasts, a mysterious outbreak threatens to disrupt what little stability high school guidance counselor Madison Clark and English teacher Travis Manawa have managed to assemble. The everyday pressure of blending two families while dealing with resentful, escapist, and strung out children takes a back seat when society begins to break down. A forced evolution, a necessary survival of the fittest takes hold, and our dysfunctional family must either reinvent themselves or embrace their darker histories

Let's meet this family...

The Family:

First we have Madison Clark (Kim Dickens) and Travis Manawa (Cliff Curtis). Our two leads trying to keep their new family together, and are recently engaged to each other. Both work at an L.A. high school, Madison as a guidance counselor and Travis as an English teacher. Just going to hazard a guess that Madison is probably a better mother than Lori Grimes and has her hands full parenting...

Alicia Clark (Alycia Debnam-Carey) and Nick Clark (Frank Dillane) two siblings with very different personalities. Alicia is a hardworking overachieving high school student, but it's unknown if she enjoys covering Tom Waitts around the campfire like other teenage girls in The Walking Dead universe. Nick is a college dropout and drug addict who has fallen on hard times. If this isn't enough possibilities for heart wrenching drama we also have...

Liza Ortiz (Elizabeth Rodriguez) and Chris Manawa (Lorenzo James Henrie) Travis' ex wife and son. Apparently Chris blames his father for the divorce and Liza is trying to get her life back on track by going to school to become a nurse. Neither seem like they would be very effective with a crossbow or katana.

Hmmm.... seems a bit more Step by Step or Full House compared to the Ricktatorship and co. we are used to... The walkers can't get here soon enough. Speaking of which the zombies in FTWD being recently deceased are supposed to have a much more normal and fresher appearance. This one actually looks pretty normal if you ignore the blood and the knife sticking out of her chest.

Fear the Walking Dead will have a six episode first season, and has already been renewed for a fifteen episode second season. So we can basically plan to watch zombie shows all year in 2016. Let's keep discussion in this thread focused on Fear and keep TWD talk in The Walking Dead thread. That way people don't have worry about spoiling themselves on the other show by reading this thread.

Thanks for reading my OP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

IGN's review of the pilot seems to confirm a lot of people's fears that the teenagers really drag everything down. I guess we'll see on Sunday.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The name Dillane reminded me of Game of Thrones. Sure enough.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

quote:

When Civilization Ends, it ends fast

not really, no

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

IGN's review of the pilot seems to confirm a lot of people's fears that the teenagers really drag everything down. I guess we'll see on Sunday.

So they're going to make for satisfying kills at some point then

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Seems that way.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
So is it going to be like Half life with the cast having to dodge government kill teams as well as zombies and desperate survivors?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's what's NOT going to be in the show:

quote:

1. The cause of the outbreak. Just as in Kirkman's comics — which also won't ever reveal what caused the world as we know it to crumble — neither Fear nor the flagship drama will ever explain what happened to civilization. Erickson, despite his best pitches to Kirkman to touch on the subject, was shot down. "I had a couple of early pitches that touched on that and Robert shut me down. For him, it's never been about what caused it; it's always been about the impact it has on people," Erickson says.

2. Crossover with any of the original Walking Dead cast. Asked if Fear could provide a way for beloved characters from the comics who were killed off too soon on the AMC series (ahem, Andrea), Erickson said the "idea of seeing an ancillary character who happened to be in Los Angeles and got out and landed in Georgia is interesting. But I don't think we're going to do that. There's no plan to see any original characters."

3. A cure. Just like with The Walking Dead, finding a cure at the onset of the outbreak isn't high on Fear's agenda. "No cause, crossover or cure," Erickson insisted.

4. The CDC. That also includes seeing Noah Emmerich reprise his role as CDC good guy Edwin Jenner. While Kirkman has said that the season one CDC episode is among his biggest regrets, an early script for Fear included a scene in which Dr. Candace Jenner — aka Test Subject 19 and played by Claire Bronson on the flagship — was introduced. The character previously worked with Jenner at the CDC before being infected and ultimately killed. The idea of bringing her on, however, didn't last long with Kirkman. "We won't see the CDC," Erickson says. "When we have two narratives living under the same umbrella mythology, the instinct would be to bring those two stories together and to conflate them. From a creative standpoint, I think we have enough story that we'll be able to ride on for quite some time."

5. Politicians. "We definitely will not see politicians and generals trying to coordinate and figure out what this is," Erickson says. "It's not World War Z. One of the things we will stay true to as it pertains to the comics, as it pertains to the original show is the blue-collar quality. These are folks that are people you would see on the street on any given moment. People that we know. Teachers, guidance counselors, wannabe nurses, aspiring nurses."

6. Zombies who are easy to kill. Erickson said one of Kirkman's notes for Fear was that the zombies be different than how they were first seen on the original show. With the early onset of the outbreak, skulls will still be hard and the point, Erickson said, is to see a character trying to stab a walker in the head and not be able to penetrate the skull. "The point was it's hard physically to kill somebody," he said.

7. The term "walkers." The original series — like the comics —avoids using the term "zombie" and Fear will avoid using the flagship's default term of "walkers." "We don't call them walkers, we're coming up with as much cool West Coat verbage as we can," Erickson said.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
So no Candace Jenner. That doesn't rule out Caitlyn Jenner, though.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

moist turtleneck posted:

So no Candace Jenner. That doesn't rule out Caitlyn Jenner, though.

Caitlyn's upcoming jail term probably rules him out.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

zoux posted:

we're coming up with as much cool West Coat verbage as we can

oh god

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Actually it sounds tubular to me.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jesus looks like he's having trouble.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Everything I read about this spin-off makes it seem more and more pointless.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

these tracks dont even make sense

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It sounds like I don't need to watch this dumb show to know what's happening in the other dumb show, so that's good.

I was wondering if they would do crossover stuff and reveal things about zombies, the outbreak, etc. that would add to our knowledge of the Walking Dead world. But it sounds like they're just making The Walking Dead: West Coast.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I do think it would be cool if the pilot showed a news clip reporting on a Sheriff officer getting shot in a Georgia shootout. I think something like that could happen and not count as a crossover. Would also kind of ground us on how long rick was in a coma before zombie stuff started going down.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

You just know someone at AMC has been waiting years for someone to listen to his constant refrain of "what if we made the zombies sexy?"

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

precision posted:

You just know someone at AMC has been waiting years for someone to listen to his constant refrain of "what if we made the zombies sexy?"

Everything about this image screams low-budget cash-grab.

"The zombies are less decomposed" hype translates to "the makeup work from the original show's pilot was pretty effort-intensive."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tonight's Talking Dead poll: would you let that zombie give you a blow jibber? Hashtag FearTheBitingDead

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tellah posted:

"The zombies are less decomposed" hype translates to "the makeup work from the original show's pilot was pretty effort-intensive."

I see what you are saying, I also think fresh zombies are somewhat less interesting because one of the best aspects of TWD was seeing what creative gore/decay makeup would appear in an episode.

I wonder how long they will stick to "fresh" zombies. I would think after a week or two of the outbreak they would all be fairly nasty anyways.

I really think this show is going to have a challenge to remain unique and different from he main show after the first two seasons.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tellah posted:

It also helps establish a different visual deal for the new show. It's a good idea, helps make the two shows distinct things

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Messed up that they aren't going to let running or brick-holding zombies be a thing in the first season. Are Southern zombies smarter than Valley zombies?

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
Chevy tuned up like a Nascar pitstop

Tellah posted:

I agree. Same with 'no politicians' or 'no cure.' That just reads to me: we are avoiding things that might deepen or complicate the plot because we do not know how to handle it. "This is not World War Z" is the saddest sentence in that whole article.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They're certainly shoving this show into a corner before it even airs. God forbid you let the writers breathe a bit.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
"no cure" is a good rule. I mean, that would undermine the whole idea behind the franchise. And a plotline about people trying to find a cure would be boring as gently caress, because the audience knows they won't succeed.

"no politicians" makes sense too. This show is about a family going through the zombie thing. A side story about the Mayor of LA trying to organize stuff would be a distraction from that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

"no cure" is a good rule. I mean, that would undermine the whole idea behind the franchise. And a plotline about people trying to find a cure would be boring as gently caress, because the audience knows they won't succeed.

"no politicians" makes sense too. This show is about a family going through the zombie thing. A side story about the Mayor of LA trying to organize stuff would be a distraction from that.
I understand not having a cure or origin for the virus, but it would be nice if you could at least intersperse the family stuff with just a bit of a wider view of what's happening. It doesn't have to be much, but shows like Jericho managed to pull that off OK.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think we should see at least some plot about how the authorities are handling the outbreak. Maybe they could have the characters go to a secure compound run by CDC/FEMA/military authority. We wouldn't see what the president is doing but we could at least see that the authorities are trying to keep things together.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

They're certainly shoving this show into a corner before it even airs. God forbid you let the writers breathe a bit.

Hopefully this batch of writers can tell a compelling, narrow-scope story (in a zombie walker geek [lol] apocalypse) that has more momentum than the plodding morass that TWD lazily stretches over 32 or whatever episodes per year.

A six-episode premiere should be able to deliver the kind of energy that you would normally expect from the horror/thriller genre.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I think we should see at least some plot about how the authorities are handling the outbreak. Maybe they could have the characters go to a secure compound run by CDC/FEMA/military authority. We wouldn't see what the president is doing but we could at least see that the authorities are trying to keep things together.

There's no reason we couldn't see that. They specifically said

Tellah posted:

"We definitely will not see politicians and generals trying to coordinate and figure out what this is,"

So that doesn't rule out characters going to ad-hoc shelters or soldiers trying to protect a building or something. Just that we won't see people in positions of power making decisions or what have you.

C'mon, people. I know everyone is very excited to hate this show but let's at least wait until the first episode airs before we start inventing things to hate.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the "No Origin" angle is basically bunk -- that'd have given this show a sense of vitality and necessity. Having the characters play detective, attempting to work out where the virus came from while everything fell down around their ears, would be a decent hook. You'd have to structure it so it wasn't just a dumb shell game, but it could work.

Even if it didn't do that, it's got to do something to make itself worthwhile. This isn't just a spin-off, it's effectively a reboot that's running at the same time as its parent show. The level of shameless cash grabbing going on here is pretty deplorable, even though it's totally up AMC's alley.

Steve Shultz
Jul 6, 2007
The ELIJAH LIST, spamming your inbox for the lord.
I'm pretty excited to see what it looks like when Cliff Curtis finally gets a chance to play a maori for the first time.

I'm hopeful that watching things fall apart will be reasonably compelling, unless they can come up with a city version of wandering through the woods all alone arguing.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think the "No Origin" angle is basically bunk -- that'd have given this show a sense of vitality and necessity. Having the characters play detective, attempting to work out where the virus came from while everything fell down around their ears, would be a decent hook. You'd have to structure it so it wasn't just a dumb shell game, but it could work.

That'd be dumb as gently caress. Zombies are impossible, so any attempt at an actual explanation would be dumb. There's nothing necessary about explaining the origin of zombies, in fact it's necessary to not explain it. And there's no vitality in a show about people trying to solve an unsolveable puzzle that no one wants them to solve anyway. This poo poo ain't Twin Peaks, you can't base a show on a mystery you have zero intention of solving.

Even if it didn't do that, it's got to do something to make itself worthwhile. This isn't just a spin-off, it's effectively a reboot that's running at the same time as its parent show. The level of shameless cash grabbing going on here is pretty deplorable, even though it's totally up AMC's alley.

It's not a reboot at all, it's not changing anything or invalidating anything from The Walking Dead. It's other characters in the same world doing different things somewhere else, it's exactly a spin-off. Frasier was not a reboot of Cheers. What are you talking about?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It'd be nice if the zombies just all died one day, but that'd defeat the hook of the series.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

It's not a reboot at all, it's not changing anything or invalidating anything from The Walking Dead. It's other characters in the same world doing different things somewhere else, it's exactly a spin-off. Frasier was not a reboot of Cheers. What are you talking about?

Technically it's not a spin-off either, since it's not spinning any character off into their own show.

I mean, seriously, it's a show about a family and a rag tag bunch of people attempting to survive a zombie apocalypse. That's basically the exact same premise of the other show. Sure, it's not a "reboot" in the classical sense, but there's not too much of a difference from where I'm standing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's kind of a problem that there isn't much difference between this show and TWD. You would think they would do something to make it different, beyond having it take place as things are going to hell. It still revolves around a family, which is the main core of TWD (even if by the current season it's mostly a 'chosen family').

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Technically it's not a spin-off either, since it's not spinning any character off into their own show.

I mean, seriously, it's a show about a family and a rag tag bunch of people attempting to survive a zombie apocalypse. That's basically the exact same premise of the other show. Sure, it's not a "reboot" in the classical sense, but there's not too much of a difference from where I'm standing.

It's not spinning off a character, it's the setting that's the same. What definition of spinoff our you using that requires a shared character?

And it's not a reboot, because it's not invalidating or replacing anything at all from the original series. And it's not the same premise, because The Walking Dead skipped over the initial outbreak, and this one is focusing on it. Yeah, they probably won't be able to keep up that distinction for more than three or four seasons, but it still won't be a reboot. It's running at the same goddamn time as the original, the original hasn't stopped yet, so there's nothing to reboot! You're out of your loving mind, man.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Jesus Christ that's insulting, it's spinning off one of the key characters:

The zombies.

Zombies deserve consideration too!

More importantly the hook is the world is still fine when this show goes down, so you get to watch everything go to poo poo. In the Walking Dead, Rick wakes up to a world that is already dead. You could spend entire seasons before you get to the world Rick wakes up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

Forbes.com posted:

The opening episode is a full hour long without commercials, so you get a lot of content compared to the typical 42 minutes or so. That’s nice in a way, though I feel like it could have been shorter. A lot goes on in that hour, but it still feels like nothing much actually happens.

Well there go my hopes and dreams.

boom boom boom posted:

Tellah posted:

"We definitely will not see politicians and generals trying to coordinate and figure out what this is,"

So that doesn't rule out characters going to ad-hoc shelters or soldiers trying to protect a building or something. Just that we won't see people in positions of power making decisions or what have you.

C'mon, people. I know everyone is very excited to hate this show but let's at least wait until the first episode airs before we start inventing things to hate.

Don't invent my quotes, you goddamn goon :bahgawd:

• Locked thread