Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
I was expecting much worse, tbh. the 'dysfunctional blended family' poo poo was kept to a minimum, probably because the other son's pouty rear end was barely in it, so that's good. Nick's character actually turned out to be okay and nobody has done anything exceedingly stupid to drive the plot.

Also, the cops didn't now about the church bloodbath for those dumb asses who watch a show but somehow don't watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

If you've dealt with heroin addicts before they don't hallucinate so I'm glad they weren't laying too heavy on that angle.

But - if someone who is hooked on something said someone was biting people and poo poo, what would you honestly think? I dug this episode.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
They even kind of explain it when Nick asks his dealer if his poo poo was laced.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It looks like the next episode could possibly be good but this one was a mess. I didn't really care about any of the boring family drama stuff and I doubt most of TWD audience does either.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Confirming this was crap.

Also, I bet it's revealed later on that the druggy son is bisexual. This show will try to be the hipster-as-gently caress version of TWD.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

warcrimes posted:

They even kind of explain it when Nick asks his dealer if his poo poo was laced.

Enough for tv logic yeah. If you took a pop that was completely identical to every other one except for when you woke up and had a crazy hallucination that immediately subsided once you were hit by a car your first thought wouldn't be "what was it laced with" because if it was laced you'd experience something for the several hours you were high, not when you woke up for like 2 mins.

Well I mean it might. If it wasn't in a world where there were reports of crazy poo poo and people biting other people in social circles and stuff. The show tried to explain that by basically implying it was all ultra dork darknet rumors but that's not how it'd play out.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

The show was just ok but Nick was pretty great.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

a cop posted:

Well I mean it might. If it wasn't in a world where there were reports of crazy poo poo and people biting other people in social circles and stuff. The show tried to explain that by basically implying it was all ultra dork darknet rumors but that's not how it'd play out.

Please tell us more about how the zombie apocalypse would actually play out

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

BlackJosh posted:

Please tell us more about how the zombie apocalypse would actually play out

Like any major crisis in 2001-2015, with regards to awareness.

nopants
May 29, 2004
So I'm assuming the actor that plays Nick will play Eddie if the Dark Tower ever gets made.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

nopants posted:

So I'm assuming the actor that plays Nick will play Eddie if the Dark Tower ever gets made.

That's a pretty good call right there. He has the junkie walk down.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The extended premier was a mistake, the shortened rerun version has to be a lot better.Nick is a good character, they did a good job making a single zombie threatening again and showing off how much damage one can take, basically the last ten minutes were really good.

I am kind of dreading the other son showing up tho. That guy sucks.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Really this would have been a lot better if it was normal length. The last half hour wasn't bad, but the first hour dragged on so much I was just waiting for anything to happen.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I wouldve liked it if we went 3 episodes without seeing a zombie and the whole season before civilization breaking down, but a slow burn like that is about twice as long as the average attention span would tolerate and about five times a long as the target demographic would tolerate (case in point this thread).

Oh well. Its still good. Im rooting for the family!!!

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I live within spitting distance of the school they film at (Wilson HS) and oddly enough, police helicopters and sirens going on at all hours isn't uncommon. So yeah, I guess that's normal. The freeway on ramp they did the first attack was the north bound 710 ramp coming from 10 west.

Aside from dragging rear end the first half hour or so, it wasn't terrible. I did think they could have tightened up that whole Depp lite actor's questioning his sanity a bit more. But given everything I saw had a home town feel to it, I'll continue to watch.

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax

Shneak posted:

I seriously thought for a few seconds that there was going to be incest in that scene. Then this dysfunctional family would have gotten interesting.

Yeah I think any guy with a sister was probably like "holy hell what the gently caress" at that scene.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I am really hoping they ease of the TWD habit of characters not communicating things that a normal person would. They already started off on the wrong foot when after the father visits the church he and the girlfriend (wife?) decide to not tell the cops, because welp, bad things happen... I thought it was also going to happen when depp almost didnt tell the father what he saw go down.

The whole drama created by non communication really turned me off of twd.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cession posted:

I wouldve liked it if we went 3 episodes without seeing a zombie and the whole season before civilization breaking down, but a slow burn like that is about twice as long as the average attention span would tolerate and about five times a long as the target demographic would tolerate (case in point this thread).

Oh well. Its still good. Im rooting for the family!!!

What is up, like minded poster? Due to a weird job situation I've got about two weeks to kill. Due to a weird job situation I've got about two weeks with WAY too much free time so recommend me some shows. The Wire will only go so long. Give me some show recommendations.

The more I think about it, once traffic began and a few accidents broke out things would be hosed. Not to go all "What's your loadout bag bro" in this thread but in Los Angeles you would be on foot and hosed really quick if poo poo went south. You'd have about five minutes.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

meanolmrcloud posted:

Hearing the helicopters and sirens in every outdoor scene made the viewer aware something else urgent was constantly happening, we were just going to stick with the family.

Jack Skeleton posted:

I live within spitting distance of the school they film at (Wilson HS) and oddly enough, police helicopters and sirens going on at all hours isn't uncommon. So yeah, I guess that's normal.

Yeah most other settings would leave me upset that they were leaning on this trope way too hard (every outdoor scene over the course of ~60 hours had sirens and helicopters) but that's just what LA sounds like on a normal day.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Captain Log posted:

What is up, like minded poster? Due to a weird job situation I've got about two weeks to kill. Due to a weird job situation I've got about two weeks with WAY too much free time so recommend me some shows. The Wire will only go so long. Give me some show recommendations.

Rectify

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
My major complaint is the actress who plays the mom. She just saw a guy run up and try to bite them like an animal, then he's run over with a car, and she doesn't show the least bit of emotion on her face.

You should look terrified if you just saw someone not die and run at you while all bloody.

Other than that, we'll see how this series goes...

Also, the mom is annoying. She reminds me of Skyler from Breaking Bad and she was a "know it all annoying person."

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Spectacle Rock posted:

My major complaint is the actress who plays the mom. She just saw a guy run up and try to bite them like an animal, then he's run over with a car, and she doesn't show the least bit of emotion on her face.

You should look terrified if you just saw someone not die and run at you while all bloody.

Other than that, we'll see how this series goes...

Also, the mom is annoying. She reminds me of Skyler from Breaking Bad and she was a "know it all annoying person."

I thought the same thing but I'm going to go with that she's in shock/denial.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's a public school teacher. She's seen worse.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
Its so odd how many people goons think the normal human reaction to something shocking and violent and unexpected is to throw oneself to the ground and scream and cry hysterically.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Stannis' kid is a good actor. In general this pilot wasn't terrible and was more enjoyable than plenty of walking dead episodes, which doesn't say much, damnation by feint praise and the such.

I felt it could have been a more captivating show if it weren't for the walking dead tie in, zombie media is a dime a dozen but the actual onset of the apocalypse is still ripe ground for some interesting drama in my opinion, having this show as a more standalone mini-series thing could have actually made it into something really interesting. Still, surprisingly watchable.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Ahh so just like the show it spun off from, it's going to take zero risks and be as bland as possible. Really looking forward to the rest of the season.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Lol this was loving terrible. I can't believe how hammy the acting was.

That scene with the fat pizzaface kid with a knife was on par with a Lifetime Original Movie. loving AMC is trash.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

Spectacle Rock posted:

When a thread gets lovely, it gets lovely fast

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What do you guys think Skyler's reaction would have been if it turned out Blue Sky create zombies?

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Tomahawk posted:

Ahh so just like the show it spun off from, it's going to take zero risks and be as bland as possible. Really looking forward to the rest of the season.

They say they don't want to do a World War Z style series that goes into great detail about the outbreak and the CDC and military response, but I feel like that would be way more original and worthwhile than whatever this is.

This thing looks like it was filmed on the cheap. I bet the real reason they won't do a World War Z type of thing is because they don't have the budget to film something like that.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 24, 2015

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

... fat pizzaface kid...

I thought he was turning into a zombie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dick Fagballzson posted:

They say they don't want to do a World War Z style series that goes into great detail about the outbreak and the CDC and military response, but I feel like that would be way more original and worthwhile than whatever this is.

This thing looks like it was filmed on the cheap. I bet the real reason they won't do a World War Z type of thing is because they don't have the budget to film something like that.

They won't do it because Kirkman won't let a TV show answer all the stuff he's keeping unanswered in the comics.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dick Fagballzson posted:

How can you call that idea original when like, 20 words earlier you admitted it would just be World War Z: The TV Series?

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
There hasn't been a World War Z TV series (that I'm aware of), and the movie was a badly executed mess that wasn't really like the book. I stand by what I said. Trying to do a World War Z style TV series that's actually like the book would be way more orignal than just remaking the Walking Dead in LA, but with a lower budget, worse actors, and starting off before things actually get interesting. I've never seen a World War Z type TV series before. Have you? Seems pretty original to me.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 24, 2015

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

How does a junkie who struggles to score dope afford a cell phone?

Other than that, I guess I kind of liked the episode and I'm optimistically looking forward to more.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I really enjoyed the pilot. It was nice to see some normal life drama in this setting rather than "will Rick kill X person this episode?" that we get in TWD. I also think it's a bit weird that so many posters are criticizing the first hour being fairly normal family issues-type stuff. We need some characterization before poo poo hits the fan. I would be ok with several episodes being fairly run of the mill drama before the outbreak happens.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The lines at the end when they're looking at the mostly dead dealer were god drat horrible.

:geno: : What is going on

:geno: : I don't know

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Enjoyed it overall. I didn't mind the slow first half because we all know what's coming and that thought kept me interested. I didn't mind the focus on family drama because that was exactly what we were led to believe the show would be and, well, that's what it was. I wouldn't even have minded a slower intro to the crisis myself, but god that would've made reading this thread (even more) unbearable. But one can pretty easily identify the posts by those that are tripping over themselves to poo poo all over this and be seen to be making GBS threads all over it (that seems to be really important to these people) from those with legitimate points to make, and use the mousewheel accordingly.

If anything it is happening really fast. I'm going by the assumption that the night before the morning shown at the beginning of the pilot is the exact time the zombie lever is pulled, so from that time onwards anyone who dies turns. We know that it can take anything from a few minutes to eight hours, and the amount of time that elapsed in this first episode was what, 48-72 hours? By the end of that time we have roads blocked, emergency services overstretched, schools closing, and viral videos going round, which unless they've seen a resurrection happen before their very eyes, of course people aren't going to believe it's real. And even after the first few days have passed and it's clear we're not dealing with a few isolated incidents but a worldwide crisis, you can bet there'll still be a lot of people that seek the comfort of denial.

Unzip and Attack posted:

I really enjoyed the pilot. It was nice to see some normal life drama in this setting rather than "will Rick kill X person this episode?" that we get in TWD. I also think it's a bit weird that so many posters are criticizing the first hour being fairly normal family issues-type stuff. We need some characterization before poo poo hits the fan. I would be ok with several episodes being fairly run of the mill drama before the outbreak happens.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Dick Fagballzson posted:

There hasn't been a World War Z TV series (that I'm aware of), and the movie was a badly executed mess that wasn't really like the book. I stand by what I said. Trying to do a World War Z style TV series that's actually like the book would be way more orignal than just remaking the Walking Dead in LA, but with a lower budget, worse actors, and starting off before things actually get interesting. I've never seen a World War Z type TV series before. Have you? Seems pretty original to me.

Let me tell you about a werid little show called nation Z. Its a cheap sci fi cash grab designed entirely to capitalize on the success on the Walking Dead, but it takes its cues from WWZ instead of the Walking Dead and it knows exactly what it is.

Also, they smash zombies with the Liberty Bell. :911:

Heads up, when the breakdown accelerates and people start thinking about what is good for themselves instead good for the country, there is gonna be a grotesques outburst of OUR TROOPS when the military starts bugging out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

moolchaba posted:

Confirming this was crap.

Also, I bet it's revealed later on that the druggy son is bisexual. This show will try to be the hipster-as-gently caress version of TWD.

Isnt Darryl gay or something anyway

• Locked thread