Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Contradiction is an FMV murder mystery adventure game by Tim Follin, featuring Paul Darrow of Blake's 7 fame. It was funded on Kickstarter on its second try, raising about four thousand pounds.

While the game features moving around locations and very limited item manipulation, the meat of the game is interviewing people and pointing out contradictory statements they make. Imagine a dash of LA Noire mixed with a bit of Phoenix Wright, then make everyone British. It's not perfect by any means, and it's fairly short, but being an FMV game actually helps it avoid some pitfalls (such as in LA Noire when you had to distinguish between an actor acting poorly and an actor intentionally acting poorly). The controls outside of interviews are also weird as hell, so enjoy watching me go the wrong way or open menus for no reason from time to time.

Prologue

tl;dr - Kate Vine died under suspicious circumstances but the regular police (bobbies? are they still called that?) ruled it a suicide. Now it's up to our hero, Inspector Jenks, to prove Kate was murdered (and the other cops are all thick) before midnight tonight.

Let's get to it.

Episode 1 - 5 PM
Episode 2 - 6 PM
Episode 3 - 7 PM
Episode 4 - 8 PM
Episode 5 - 9 PM
Episode 6 - 10 PM
Episode 7 - 11 PM
Episode 8 - Midnight

Bonus Episode 1 - Chief Calls
Bonus Episode 2 - THIS video

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
This is going to be interesting.
At least there aren't going to be any pixel hunts?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Major_JF posted:

At least there aren't going to be any pixel hunts?

No, but it has the visual novel "look and think" equivalent at times: having to visit every location in the game trying to witness the random event necessary to advance the plot.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It's kinda sad thinking that even this had a higher budget than poor Blake's 7. I'm not sure why it features "gameplay" outside of interviews though, those are always the worst parts of every game of the sort.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Why does the game audio sound like everyone is wearing a bucket?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's kinda sad thinking that even this had a higher budget than poor Blake's 7.
I'm OK with basements lined with cardboard as long as Brian Blessed is chewing the scenery.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's... some acting, alright.
I really hope that hat has plot relevance because I can't imagine anyone would wear that voluntarily.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 19, 2015

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Oh my, this acting. Emma is at least okay but Jenks is something else.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
My favorite part of FMV games is the never quite there acting. I am pretty pumped to see this game. I'll probably buy it too to support them.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Aside from the budget, the reason the audio and video will be notably off is because it was originally made for iOS and some compression would have been required.

Also this is one of the best games of 2015.

Please turn subtitles on.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I love this game. Jenks is the best and the best part is that like 50% of the time when he shows somebody a piece of evidence or asks them about a fact, he presents it as though it was the key piece of evidence that is gonna blow the case wide open

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I want to see what sarcastic Jenks looks like, because he's been serious so far and I just can't imagine the actor taking the performance any further.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My favorite thing about Jenks is his main emoting method is his eyebrows, he is wagglin those things like a madman.
Eyebrows of the Year, easily.
EDIT: Goddamnit Jenks, take your stupid hat off indoors you clod.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 19, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
It looks really nice. They've done a great job with the Google Streetview portion. The acting and writing are just poor enough that you get that feel that all the humans have been replaced by body-snatchers, which is awesome. They managed to make that big white lodge place look a lot like Fawlty Towers, too :) I'm looking forward to seeing Paul Darrow munch on some scenery.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

Please turn subtitles on.

I am loath to turn on subtitles because I don't want to distract away from the amazing acting (any more than my own commentary already does).

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Youtube's automatic captioning should go well with the acting. Let me try...

...yes. Yes, it does.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Perfect.

The secret benefit of a subtitled VLP? I can still work on it while I'm sick, without having to worry about having lost my voice.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Amazing, I'm really going to follow this one. The acting is just perfect for an FMV game, I wonder if that's intentional.

The environment and video quality are a lot better than I expected too.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Contradiction is the greatest, Giant Bomb East played through the whole thing and I loved it so much I bought 3 gift copies.

Support British Jim Varney's Detective Adventure.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 2 - 6 PM

So begin the instances of "wander around until you see the thing that you didn't know you needed to look for." At least we meet some new characters!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Guess I'll just let this murder suspect walk away slowly without mentioning his name or address, giving him plentiful time to get rid of evidence."

edit: They're really laying those utilitarism references on thick. Couldn't they have come with a different name than Ryan Rand?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 25, 2015

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
So there's our hookah-smoking pagan red herring, watch as he creeps around the place but isn't actually involved with anything at all

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Pick your favourite Jenks from the episode

Who plays the hat?

Oh, and...

YouTube's CC system also has a special hatred for "scrying"

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

"Always nice to randomly find a key on the floor" :allears:

This game is magical

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Pick your favourite Jenks from the episode

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

This is the face of a man who is way too interested in home-brewing.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I have never seen a man with such an animated face

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I think I need a Jenks avatar.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Arelon posted:

Everything this man says just sounds like "GOTCHA!"

I wonder what he looks like ordering a sandwich.

edit:

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 27, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Arelon posted:

:golfclap:

This is the face of genuinely hammy stage actor :D

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Thanks very much, whoever got me the avatar! Here's an extra episode this week:

Episode 3 - 7 PM

More egregious "look and think" shenanigans, James dumping some special plot on us, and our first look at Paul Darrow.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The actors just keep getting hammier and hammier and it's delightful.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Yup, Paul Darrow's playing it exactly as I'd hoped he would... howling psycho by way of a bottle of expensive scotch :)

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Ghostwoods posted:

Yup, Paul Darrow's playing it exactly as I'd hoped he would... howling psycho by way of a bottle of expensive scotch :)

Nah, that's top shelf apple juice. He even said there's no alcohol allowed on Atlas campus. And it's not like he'd lie or anything

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

This game looks like it would be a total slog to play, but I'm really enjoying watching it. Can't wait to see where all these occult shenanigans are leading to!

:stare:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It's a low-hanging Jenks, but still

It keeps getting better...

Don't look at the camera!

Wow...

Ryan's Shatner levels are off the charts.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So what does the Jenks sense exactly entail? Are you forced to wander around blindly until you run into those encounters or are they optional and unlocking something?
edit: Also, calling the occult trail a red herring right now. James doesn't seem like the most stable or trustworthy person.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 28, 2015

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
This is the best thing I've seen all year and it's just the third episode :vince:

Edit: I think I figured it out. All of the actors are playing characters from different time periods. Atlas boss is playing a 1890's murder mystery posh villain, plants guy and the girl roommate are 1990's edgy always-high goth kids etc. etc.

Darkest Auer fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 28, 2015

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
This game is absolutely wonderful, and I'm so happy to see it played here. Also, as an official English person (I have a passport and everything!) I can confirm that yes, all of us talk and act like this 24/7.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Gertrude Perkins posted:

This game is absolutely wonderful, and I'm so happy to see it played here. Also, as an official English person (I have a passport and everything!) I can confirm that yes, all of us talk and act like this 24/7.

Absolutely. When I'm not brewing home-brew or getting drunk down the pub, I'm suiciding cultists in ponds. Just the way it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
This is game is legit real good and I hope Follin makes another Kickstarter so I can back it.

• Locked thread