Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBz69vGjAPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dMOTYSLaq4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU-QlK2ddWY

Every song on this album is a God Damned musical gem.

gently caress commercial success when you can create such unappreciated masterpieces as the above linked songs.

I defy any of you to name a better album from 2001!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
its a good album

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
lol cake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM2v1knCkw4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSe_C_xxEOg

Have some Flatstick.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Shrek soundtrack

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
j.lo by jenifer lopez probably takes the cake for good 2001 albums

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

What the gently caress is this nonsense, and what does it have to do with the best albums of 2001?

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

BLARGHLE posted:

What the gently caress is this nonsense, and what does it have to do with the best albums of 2001?

Well if you are the kind of retard that wants me to post Orbital instead, I guess i can do that..

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

this is horrible you fag

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

what kind of indie bullshit is this

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Enfield posted:

this is horrible you fag

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
prefuse73 - vocal studies + uprock narratives

edit: cannibal ox - the cold vein

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Enfield posted:

this is horrible you fag

:sigh: I guess you are just TOO OLD to GET IT. :rolleye:

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

symbolic posted:

what kind of indie bullshit is this

Says the guy with the Alice in Chains lyrics from 2009

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
posts [no rain] to accolades of OP

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

TwoFire posted:

posts [no rain] to accolades of OP

I'm not here to give accolades, and sure as gently caress not for blind melon's bullshit

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

BLARGHLE posted:

Says the guy with the Alice in Chains lyrics from 2009
and? :confused:

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
cake is ironic slacker bullshit taken to its inevitable cul de sac ending. i-couldn't-possible-care-less vocals, "funky" instrumentation with all the scare quotes you can eat. how could anyone enjoy listening to this

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Horniest Manticore posted:

cake is ironic slacker bullshit taken to its inevitable cul de sac ending. i-couldn't-possible-care-less vocals, "funky" instrumentation with all the scare quotes you can eat. how could anyone enjoy listening to this
the same people that claim In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is a masterpiece when it's the same repetitive indie nonsense as this?

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

It was a bad comeback song from a defunct 90's band 20 years after they were popular.

Good for nothing but clogging up the alternative rock airwaves with drugged out desperation...so it might be the perfect metaphor for early 2000s music, in spite of its 2009 release...

Well played, sir.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

BLARGHLE posted:

It was a bad comeback song from a defunct 90's band 20 years after they were popular.

Good for nothing but clogging up the alternative rock airwaves with drugged out desperation...so it might be the perfect metaphor for early 2000s music, in spite of its 2009 release...
it's still better than whatever you have posted :laffo:

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

symbolic posted:

I'm clearly not going to sway your post-grunge opinions, but what can you contribute to the Best Album of 2001 topic?

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

symbolic posted:

the same people that claim In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is a masterpiece when it's the same repetitive indie nonsense as this?

pretty much. neutral milk hotel never did anything as annoying as short skirt long jacket, though, so that gives them a slight edge

e: it's apples and oranges though. neutral milk hotel is super sincere and meaningful man, while cake is all arch and ironic. both are bad, just differently bad

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Horniest Manticore posted:

pretty much. neutral milk hotel never did anything as annoying as short skirt long jacket, though, so that gives them a slight edge

I will say that Short Skirt/Long Jacket can go gently caress itself. The rest of the album is gold, but I'm really not a fan of that song

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

BLARGHLE posted:

I will say that Short Skirt/Long Jacket can go gently caress itself. The rest of the album is gold, but I'm really not a fan of that song

short skirt is my least favorite CAKE (it's suuposed to be all caps u guys) song ever but for some reason they play it on the radio all the time still. i dont know about 2001 because i dont know what else came out that year but yes comfort eagle is the best album by alternative rock band CAKE. good post OP

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

symbolic posted:

You know what? I don't want to just sit back and say "whatever, man", because your taste in music is demonstrably lovely. You spent money to immortalize a shittily written line of a lovely song by a lovely band that was decades past their lovely prime.

gently caress Alice in Chains, and gently caress you for thinking their 20-years-too-late-post-grunge-garbage was anything other than a desperate cash grab.

Also, Horniest Manticore, I don't know where you're getting this ironic slacker bullshit idea from, unless your only exposure to Cake was in Mission Hill.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
dirt is an amazing album and almost every song on it is great but i am literally lmfao if you still listen to post-layne alice in chains you loving dork

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I remember Daft Punk's album Discovery being released in 2001.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

the great deceiver posted:

dirt is an amazing album and almost every song on it is great but i am literally lmfao if you still listen to post-layne alice in chains you loving dork

I got really excited for a minute that Alice in Chains' Layne Staley had died in my home town, but a little bit of googling said it was actually some gently caress from Drowning Pool

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

BLARGHLE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBz69vGjAPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dMOTYSLaq4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU-QlK2ddWY

Every song on this album is a God Damned musical gem.

gently caress commercial success when you can create such unappreciated masterpieces as the above linked songs.

I defy any of you to name a better album from 2001!

I'm with you on Comfort Eagle, it's a great album from a great band. I bought it when it came out. But you've got to contend with JayZ putting his best ever album out that same year. And as far as funky ironic hipsters go, I'm pretty sure that the dandy warhols released 13 Tales from Urban Bohemia in 2001, which I like more than Comfort Eagle, even though it was their last good album and worse than the two before it.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

dethkon posted:

I'm with you on Comfort Eagle, it's a great album from a great band. I bought it when it came out. But you've got to contend with JayZ putting his best ever album out that same year. And as far as funky ironic hipsters go, I'm pretty sure that the dandy warhols released 13 Tales from Urban Bohemia in 2001, which I like more than Comfort Eagle, even though it was their last good album and worse than the two before it.

I don't have to contend with poo poo from JayZ, because I am a white person, and have no objective or subjective reason to listen to his music.

As far as the Dandy Warhols go....yeah, I'm not a huge fan of theirs, but you are the only person to even attempt to suggest an alternative, so good on you.

Ork of Fiction posted:

I remember Daft Punk's album Discovery being released in 2001.

Sorry, not the only suggestion.

While Daft Punk features occasionally on my Electric Six Pandora station, I can't think of any specifically memorable songs from Discovery. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention to the albums?

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 19, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
commissioning a symphony in c is such a really drat good song

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Frostwerks posted:

commissioning a symphony in c is such a really drat good song

It really loving is! I'm listening to it right now!

I tried to get it played at my wedding, but the DJ was a loving pain in the rear end....you'd think that hiring your wife's friend would get you whatever music you wanted at the reception, but apparently not!

Hey rear end in a top hat, how many hundreds of dollars am I paying you? Is it more than one? Oh, it is several? Okay, I think you can play whatever the gently caress my drunken rear end requests, then. Lay off the lovely country pop for the nonexistent single young female demographic, and do what the guy who is paying you politely requests. And then less politely requests. And then drunkenly demands, because, seriously, it's my loving wedding reception, and if you're not even going to make an attempt to play the music I request, then what the gently caress am I paying you for? Oh, you're my wife's friend? Great, wonderful, that's lovely, but that does not explain this terrible playlist, especially when I sent you like a dozen bands' discographies worth of stuff you could play, and literally none of it has been played yet. Oh, but I'm the rear end in a top hat for trying to hear some of the music I want at the huge party that I have directly and indirectly paid for!

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
I wish I had a comfort eagle. :(

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

BLARGHLE posted:

I got really excited for a minute that Alice in Chains' Layne Staley had died in my home town, but a little bit of googling said it was actually some gently caress from Drowning Pool

who wound up choking to death on his own vomit

poetic

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
abbey road was a good album was that released in 2001?

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

ElectricSheep posted:

who wound up choking to death on his own vomit

poetic

I think this is the epitome of poetic justice vs irony

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

BLARGHLE posted:

While Daft Punk features occasionally on my Electric Six Pandora station, I can't think of any specifically memorable songs from Discovery. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention to the albums?
Discovery was the Interstella 5555 movie concept album so "One More Time", "Aerodynamic", "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger", "Veridis Quo"?

Also Fashion Nugget was the superior Cake's album.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
oh and i suppose origin of symmetry, toxicity and amnesiac were never a thing then is it? dumb loving op its not even in the top 10

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

BLARGHLE posted:

It really loving is! I'm listening to it right now!

I tried to get it played at my wedding, but the DJ was a loving pain in the rear end....you'd think that hiring your wife's friend would get you whatever music you wanted at the reception, but apparently not!

Hey rear end in a top hat, how many hundreds of dollars am I paying you? Is it more than one? Oh, it is several? Okay, I think you can play whatever the gently caress my drunken rear end requests, then. Lay off the lovely country pop for the nonexistent single young female demographic, and do what the guy who is paying you politely requests. And then less politely requests. And then drunkenly demands, because, seriously, it's my loving wedding reception, and if you're not even going to make an attempt to play the music I request, then what the gently caress am I paying you for? Oh, you're my wife's friend? Great, wonderful, that's lovely, but that does not explain this terrible playlist, especially when I sent you like a dozen bands' discographies worth of stuff you could play, and literally none of it has been played yet. Oh, but I'm the rear end in a top hat for trying to hear some of the music I want at the huge party that I have directly and indirectly paid for!

hes loving your wife, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

is this a troll

• Locked thread