Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital-Smoke
Feb 14, 2013
I've all ways been fascinated by Ouija boards. I live in an apartment that I believe to be haunted. I've had doors open and close. lights and fans turn off and on. things fall in my cupboards and shields. I hear foot steps. I've seen shadow figures walk across my walls. there was also a two week period when I was getting choked awake every night.

I've used spirit boxes to try to contact what's in my apartment with good results. what I'm interested in doing is using an Ouija board in my apartment to see what results I can get. what I'd like to hear from you guys are stories of you using one, good and bad. I'd also like any tips or hints that you can give me on how to safely and correctly use one. some people say you have to say a spell or something to get them to work. I personally have never gotten one to work right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
They don't work because they're a retarded superstition created to sell you a children's toy, you idiot.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

They don't work because they're a retarded superstition created to sell you a children's toy, you idiot.

ignore this poster he is a ghost

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I use to mess around with them when I was young and into 'ghost hunting' and other goofiness. One of the first things my group of friends discovered was that the board would only react when certain people were using it. For instance, who we will call Jeff and I could never get any response using the board. Jeff's girlfriend, Angela and I always got results, and usually the best.

We frequently got the same 'spirit' to talk to us. Many answers we received most certainly was us unconsciously moving the planchette. Things like 'what color shirt am I wearing?', and of course the correct answer being received . A couple weird things happened though. The first weird thing was that the 'board' spelled "c-a-l-l-i-n-g". We were talking amongst ourselves trying to figure out what that meant when it started spelling "a-m-y", as soon as the planchette hit Y the phone rang and it was Angela's friend Amy.

The next memorable session occured on the 4th of July and was one in which we were asking the spirit to prove he was real (a common request we had, usually asking 'it' to move something , make noise,etc) . The board spelled 'o-k' and began counting down. Angela started kind of freaking at this, as she said she had read the board counting down was a bad thing. I told her to stick with it, and soon as it reached '0' the fireworks started a few miles away in the city park.

Not particularly spectacular events, but they were creepy as hell as kids messing with a taboo-demon board.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

They work because the ideomotor effect. Essentially, you *think* about the planchette moving and spelling something out, but you don't believe that you are moving it yourself. The group though all believe that the planchette is doing something, so all of you end up subconsciously moving it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Digital-Smoke posted:

I've all ways been fascinated by Ouija boards. I live in an apartment that I believe to be haunted. I've had doors open and close. lights and fans turn off and on. things fall in my cupboards and shields. I hear foot steps. I've seen shadow figures walk across my walls. there was also a two week period when I was getting choked awake every night.

I've used spirit boxes to try to contact what's in my apartment with good results. what I'm interested in doing is using an Ouija board in my apartment to see what results I can get. what I'd like to hear from you guys are stories of you using one, good and bad. I'd also like any tips or hints that you can give me on how to safely and correctly use one. some people say you have to say a spell or something to get them to work. I personally have never gotten one to work right.

Have you considered that you do way too much or way too few drugs? Cause it's one or the other.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

ignore this poster he is a ghost

I am not, and I'm definitely not posting by spelling out these messages on a Ouija board. Those are completely untrue.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Ouija is registered copyright owned by Hasbro, so you'd better fork out for an official board if you want to talk to real ghosts. Don't be a chump and buy some lovely knockoff product, or the ghosts will be lame. Vintage boards (you can get them on ebay) get better results, obviously.

Digital-Smoke
Feb 14, 2013
I figured a hand made one would work best. one that I've made myself because I put my own energy into it. so on some spiritual sense it would be more intune with me,

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

What is a spirit box, and could you share your good results with it?

Are you using the Ouija alone? It won't work (see Sinnlos' post). Actually, it might work in the same way automatic writing 'works' (through self hypnosis).

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Dr.Caligari posted:

Are you using the Ouija alone? It won't work (see Sinnlos' post). Actually, it might work in the same way automatic writing 'works' (through self hypnosis).

It still works on your own, once again due to the ideomotor effect.

Any effects you observe from a ouija board are due to your subconscious, and not in a like a revealing and worthy of analysis way. Just involuntary muscle movement and a brain wired for pattern recognition.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Remember you have to bury it in a graveyard the night before. Then the day of bury yourself in the graveyard.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

My friend and I used to play around with home made ones when I slept over back in middle school. Nothing ever came of it and I generally think it was a waste of time we could have been playing videogames.

Then he moved to another house that was haunted. He used to tell me about all kind of spooky poo poo that happened. Faces in windows jumpscare type stuff, his dead dog from a while back scrambling toward him with no legs and skinless, and like some weirdass hand monster thing in his closet. I really wish I got him to write all the poo poo down because it was interesting, and I tend to believe him because he wasn't the type to just make poo poo up.

We tried to use a board at that house too and it was a total bust however. I mean ambiance was right with like the eyes of people in his posters watching us and beams of light coming out of their eyes so you saw where they were looking as they scanned us and the room, the whispering noises, really all the good poo poo. But the drat board kept spinning in the air and like floating around the place so actually asking it a question was impossible so all said it was a waste of time.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Stay safe Ouija ghost

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Years back I lived in a haunted flat in Aberdeen (genuine weird poo poo went down, but that's another story). Anyway, a few friends and I would get together from time to time to take shrooms, smoke pot and play with a ouija board. Got some interesting stuff plus a lot of silly bullshit; I think I've got the logs of it all saved on my home pc. Happy to post them if there's any interest (please note I don't believe for a second that we were actually communicating with a spirit of any form, but it was pretty fun and spooky to do.)

Digital-Smoke
Feb 14, 2013

Camrath posted:

Years back I lived in a haunted flat in Aberdeen (genuine weird poo poo went down, but that's another story). Anyway, a few friends and I would get together from time to time to take shrooms, smoke pot and play with a ouija board. Got some interesting stuff plus a lot of silly bullshit; I think I've got the logs of it all saved on my home pc. Happy to post them if there's any interest (please note I don't believe for a second that we were actually communicating with a spirit of any form, but it was pretty fun and spooky to do.)

yes I would be very interested. please share.

Dr.Caligari posted:

a spirit box is typically a radio that has had the scan button rigged so it continuously sweeps threw the channels. occasionally a word or phrase will come through. it is said spirits can manipulate it to speak. I use a few on my cell phone which works really well. it's convenient and I almost all ways have it on me. I'll post a few stories when I get home. I really wish I had saved the videos I made in the cemetery. I had some incredible experiences.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

It truly is amazing and supernatural that you can hear words coming out of a radio. Must be ghosts.

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012
If you dont know which spirits to start summoning, i'd recommend Zozo or Pazuzu. Theyr very nice easy and helpful spirits for a beginner.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
Back when I was younger I heard voices coming from a closet in my home. In high school it was from the window in my bedroom. Today it's from behind my left ear when I'm alone.

Freaked me the gently caress out before I was diagnosed with audio hallucinations and PTSD from my childhood. Quiet, dark places amplify the effect because all of your other senses are dulled. Think about how a tap dripping can sound loud as gently caress while you're laying in bed going to sleep but isn't noticable when other poo poo is going on; it's like that. I have some really, really hosed up stories about the poo poo I would hear and feel at night that ended up just being my brain. I would never have thought I'd imagine some of the stuff I heard until the pieces fell together.

What I'm saying is it's much more likely to be something in your head than a literal magical/supernatural occurrence no matter how unlikely it seems to you right now.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Seasoned Ouija users all agree on one thing - the board must be obeyed at all costs

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I used to do this stuff in boarding school, and I always moved the thingy, always. I used to tell people their parents were dead, that I was Satan, all kinds of wild poo poo, it was awesome. That's how we used to troll people thirty years ago.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I got a really violent Ouija board response with all involved straining and the planchette almost breaking once. It was crazy.

We asked the board which person in the room was a doodoo-head. Ghosts have really strong opinions about first graders.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Watch this dumb video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRo8TytvIDw

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I think this is the thread you're looking for.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697616

Though I'm quite enjoying reading the stories in this one. Any one got more?

I once tried it with my husband. The board didn't answer any of our questions, that loving piece of poo poo. A knife flew out of the kitchen and whizzed by my ear and lodged into an old painting of my great grandfather. But clearly it was just the breeze. I was disappointed.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Torquemada posted:

I used to do this stuff in boarding school

Well yeah, where else would you learn that stuff?

keanu
Jul 27, 2013
Check out this terribly designed site, click Video and then find and watch the Seance video.

tl;dw: Ouija boards just confirm what you're already susceptible to believing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Can I suggest an alternate source of psychic readings, OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDyee4YTRgo

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Digital-Smoke posted:

The good news is that your apartment is not haunted, bad new is that you probably have onset schizophrenia. Take my condolences.

e: My Ouija board story is that none of that poo poo made sense. I never ended up marrying a tank and my grandmas name is not "Grendel"( I don't think that's even a real name). Very disappointing overall, would not recommend.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

[by who?]

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Digital-Smoke posted:

a spirit box is typically a radio that has had the scan button rigged so it continuously sweeps threw the channels. occasionally a word or phrase will come through. it is said spirits can manipulate it to speak. I use a few on my cell phone which works really well. it's convenient and I almost all ways have it on me. I'll post a few stories when I get home.

Did you ever make it home, OP? :ohdear:

You, or someone that has a board, should do another ' I will ask my ouija questions' thread. The last one was entertaining : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3046240

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'd worry about the gang stalking first OP.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
When I was 7 or 8 I had a Ouija board spell out "help me" over and over. When asked how we could help, it spelled out "die."

Similarly, with the same group of friends, we once had the planchette go off the board and drag us across the dirty, wooden floor of the abandoned former slave shack we were using it in. It was going after one person who said they didn't believe in Quija. That same person felt a phantom punch upside the head.
Also, someone had previously spelled "Satan" on the wall with blood in that house.
Dumb kids stuff.

I quit using the board for a while.

In high school we had better luck, having conversations with something (ourselves) calling itself "bob." When asked about a friend of ours who didn't want to use the board due to religious fears, the board spelled out "its so small" which we took as a reference to his penis size. When asked further details about our friend, it said he would grow up to be a garbage man.
I never did see his penis, but he did not grow up to be a garbage man.

All in all, a good time was had, but we all knew it was bunk.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.
If it helps put this in perspective, even most occultists don't take ouija boards seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Mithra6 posted:

If it helps put this in perspective, even most occultists don't take ouija boards seriously.

Anyone that claims to be an occultist is a liar that is why.

• Locked thread