Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

psyopmonkey2 posted:

I want to buy property and build my own house one day.

Probably get that taken care before im 40.

if you started building that house right now instead of whining to the internet about having no house youd have like half a basement by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

live in a dumpster

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Pawn 17 posted:

Anyone who buys a house now will be in so much debt when the real estate bubble 2.0 pops they will probably have to kill themselves.

i bought a house for 280,000 3 years ago

i got 140,000 left to go. u gotta make extra payments. then it doesnt matter what the real estate bubble does. the house is yours. just pay your taxes.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Booblord Zagats posted:

Try not being poor sometime, it legit owns

This man is correct. I'm locked in at 4.25% for 30 and I throw an extra $200 at the principal every month and it's great!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

FistEnergy posted:

This man is correct. I'm locked in at 4.25% for 30 and I throw an extra $200 at the principal every month and it's great!

Nice! I'm in a 3.2% on a 25 through USAA and put down 30% of the price as a down payment.

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp

Booblord Zagats posted:

Nice! I'm in a 3.2% on a 25 through USAA and put down 30% of the price as a down payment.

Was that with really good credit?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

psyopmonkey2 posted:

Was that with really good credit?

765, son. My monthly payments on a 3 bed 2 bath are the same as my buddy's rent for a decent 1 bed apartment

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
I bought a home in the DC area, got 3.25% for 30 with nothing down and when everything was said and done paid nothing out of pocket and made $25.00. A++ would buy again.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"try not being poor"

*has a mortgage*

loving plebes lol you obv don't know what rich is

double lol at your $250k houses and poo poo come live somewhere nice where entry level shitholes go for like $750k

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Owning a home is for suckers who have already picked out which lovely state they're going to die in

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Aralan posted:

Owning a home is for suckers who have already picked out which lovely state they're going to die in

bought a home in south florida so it's not like i have to actually go far for that

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Tomtom posted:

oh so you've got a job and wife? human being

Voted 5

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ElectricSheep posted:

bought a home in south florida

hahaha

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Banks destroyed the economy and individual lives through housing and now are surprised that no one wants to buy a house. Almost as stupid as schools who have put millions of people into debt and are now surprised no one goes to college anymore. It's almost like the Americans wised up to the scam that is the american dream

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Volume posted:

Banks destroyed the economy and individual lives through housing and now are surprised that no one wants to buy a house. Almost as stupid as schools who have put millions of people into debt and are now surprised no one goes to college anymore. It's almost like the Americans wised up to the scam that is the american dream

the american scream is more like it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Volume posted:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Volume posted:

some people are just really dumb, and not like in an intellectual sense, they just aren't able to plan for poo poo. Change majors half a dozen times at a private/large public university, saying "LOL I am gonna be so screwed by debt when I graduate!" without thinking how they can minimize the impact, stuff like that. I know someone who is going to be in the high five figures range in debt getting a library science degree at Duke after changing majors twice. If you do that you have no one to blame but yourself.

You can join the coast guard in a clerical position and get your college not only 100% paid for, but also get paid a minimum income while in school. Not only that, but with veteran status you can easily be awarded grants to boost your quality of life even more. This poo poo isn't hard, people are just too used to taking the easy route of checking a box to pay for it.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 19, 2015

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
you bougie motherfuckers are going in the stewpot the minute the poo poo hits the fan. gonna ride my Murdersegway right up to your flimsy foam-core doors and food-cuck your whole life down my hungry prole gullet. gonna nail your balls to your den and smear dook all over your tv screen. i'm gonna hurl your videogames into a ravine and shout poetry at it. i'm gonna find the videos you made of yourself making GBS threads all over your anime figurines and i'm going to immediately regret ever knowing you. i'm gonna feel weird and queasy knowing i ate someone in the robot nuclear post apocalypse.

man fuckin GBS does not deserve my brilliance, poo poo.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Justin Tyme posted:

some people are just really dumb, and not like in an intellectual sense, they just aren't able to plan for poo poo. Change majors half a dozen times at a private/large public university, saying "LOL I am gonna be so screwed by debt when I graduate!" without thinking how they can minimize the impact, stuff like that. I know someone who is going to be in the high five figures range in debt getting a library science degree at Duke after changing majors twice. If you do that you have no one to blame but yourself.

You can join the coast guard in a clerical position and get your college not only 100% paid for, but also get paid a minimum income while in school. Not only that, but with veteran status you can easily be awarded grants to boost your quality of life even more. This poo poo isn't hard, people are just too used to taking the easy route of checking a box to pay for it.
Yeah, I sure wish I had joined the military in 2002 instead of going to school. It would've been a risk free way to get my education paid for and not at all an idiot idea that couldn't possibly be available for every person who needs assistance paying exorbitant tuition fees

im an orange
Jun 24, 2005

Three Olives posted:

You can just pay people for that, I've never even met my housekeeper.

I'd be afraid my housekeeper would use the towel she cleans my toilet with to wipe down my kitchen counter.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Justin Tyme posted:

I thought about joining the Coast Guard when I graduated HS for those reasons. Then I found out that instead of guarding the coast they wanted to deploy me to Iraq to guard their coast and I said 'lol gently caress off.' Same with the reserves.

I feel like our students shouldn't have to go to a literal war zone to be able to pay for school.

Plus just from a macroeconomics point of view it's dumb as gently caress that we are making our students compete in a global marketplace with all these free trade laws and whatever but while other (smarter) countries are subsidizing education so their workforce can stay competitive, we're making it harder and harder to do the same. What's the end goal there besides cheap labor for big companies?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 19, 2015

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Aralan posted:

Yeah, I sure wish I had joined the military in 2002 instead of going to school. It would've been a risk free way to get my education paid for and not at all an idiot idea that couldn't possibly be available for every person who needs assistance paying exorbitant tuition fees

I would have prayed for you to come home safe as a finance clerk who for some reason did foot patrols in the hairiest part of fallujah. Also lol at the thought of public service being an idiot idea but thaaaaaaat's goons! (It is an idiot idea, you're right :ssh:)

And yeah I agree something needs to be done for higher education in this country but it's not exactly hopeless currently as long as you play your cards right and focus on exactly what you want and how you plan to get it.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 19, 2015

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
OP is right. That's why I stole a house.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
yea you should do what i do and just suck a lot of dicks instead of owning things

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

notZaar posted:

I will never own a house, have an SO, or sire children. Wtf am I even living for

Time to join the night's watch?!?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Justin Tyme posted:

I would have prayed for you to come home safe as a finance clerk who for some reason did foot patrols in the hairiest part of fallujah. Also lol at the thought of public service being an idiot idea but thaaaaaaat's goons! (It is an idiot idea, you're right :ssh:)

And yeah I agree something needs to be done for higher education in this country but it's not exactly hopeless currently as long as you play your cards right and focus on exactly what you want and how you plan to get it.

did you just call joining the military 'public service' like it's some sort of charity work?

because loving lol bro

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Justin Tyme posted:

(It is an idiot idea, you're right :ssh:)

Oh ok, I get all riled up anytime the opportunity to be an internet class warrior presents itself

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I am getting ready to sell my house and move somewhere less lovely and boy does it suck. Don't buy a house

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
You can buy a quadruplex with a federally subsidized mortgage and get free room and board from letting three units while you live in the fourth.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

i'm closing on a house in a few weeks in one of the fastest growing cities in america and could rent it out the minute it's mine for a lot more than my mortgage including tax & insurance. a government grant paid my entire down payment. feels good man, having to fight or get shafted by a landlord is the worst

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
i dont have a wife but i have a house and a dog

i guess im gay

Teflon Don posted:

You can buy a quadruplex with a federally subsidized mortgage and get free room and board from letting three units while you live in the fourth.

This is a godawful idea.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

TwoFire posted:

i dont have a wife but i have a house and a dog

i guess im gay

This is a godawful idea.

Wrong

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

My grandfolks did this. Even 20 years ago tenants rights were so skewed that they had problems kicking people out who were months behind in rent and literally destroying the place.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

TwoFire posted:

My grandfolks did this. Even 20 years ago tenants rights were so skewed that they had problems kicking people out who were months behind in rent and literally destroying the place.

You can screen tenants

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Having a house owns owns owns. Sometimes ill be mowing my lawn and think about my one old apartment roommate that used to play folk guitar late at night. Good ol' Chris. Hope he's dead

naem
May 29, 2011

Pawn 17 posted:

Anyone who buys a house now will be in so much debt when the real estate bubble 2.0 pops they will probably have to kill themselves.

saving up for this can't wait

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

dad gay. so what posted:

i make "tunco dip" in my kitchen and feed it to people on my street

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Durrrrrrrrrrr

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I paid off my house this year, so no more mortgage for me.

It's actually pretty sweet having a house, and my dogs like the yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

renting fuckin owns when my air conditioner breaks in balls hot florida I call up my apartment complex and it's fixed in like two hours and I don't need to pay some poo poo rear end AC guy. I also don't need to mow the lawn out in loving 110 degree weather or pay some dudes 60 bucks a month to do it for me

it also owns not paying 160 a month in homeowners insurance and an extra 40 a month in hoa fees like my dad does, instead just 12 bucks a month for renter's insurance

when I'm in a stable career I'll probably buy close to work though after I've saved up a nice chunk o' change, but right now I just rent luxury and piss away 1.5 grand a month while everyone chastises me "dude that's a mortgage payment buy a house" no gently caress you

deadwing fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 20, 2015

• Locked thread