Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
owning a house loving owns, especially two years from outright owning

e: and this is the second house :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you still pay rent when you own

it's just called property tax

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

i agree, having to live in florida sucks

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

error1 posted:

A house is great when you don't have a wife or kids

I've filled mine with arcade and pinball machines and all sorts of gimmicky home automation crap

The best part is falling asleep alone with all that crap.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

kazr posted:

i agree, having to live in florida sucks

agreed, which is why I'm not buying a loving house here, why would I want to say "florida is where I want to live forever"

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

property tax is a load of poo poo. you own the house, but you dont own the dirt the house is on!!!

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

deadwing posted:

agreed, which is why I'm not buying a loving house here, why would I want to say "florida is where I want to live forever"

should have said would suck because i will never willingly step foot in that garbage state

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Three Olives posted:

Truth there are some people that choose to rent for some reason. A friend of mine used to manage an apartment complex down the street from me and there was a guy that lived there that had rented like 2 apartments for years, he paid like a $10k security deposit to knock down the wall between the units, combined them, he had spent tens of thousands of dollars completely customizing it.

Oh and there was another apartment building right down the street from it where Robert Durst actually lived for a bit and a really rich woman rented an apartment there for years as well, she literally millions and millions of dollars worth of artwork in her apartment when she died and yet she rented instead of just buying a house or a condo a few blocks away.

I wish the story about the lady who died was actually about you.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
This (OP title) is why it is a bastard to buy a house in Sydney.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

baby boomers own and negative gearing owns

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
i got my in-laws to throw in down payment money for us to buy a house, and six months later we got divorced and i kept the house and she got nothing lmao

i wasnt even trying to own those people, but man did they ever get owned

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

toggle posted:

property tax is a load of poo poo. you own the house, but you dont own the dirt the house is on!!!

That's more of a ground rent situation.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
i never have to mow a lawn or shovel a driveway

i've never had to fix a thing

renting is neat

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

A misanthrope posted:

renting is neat

Haha yeah being a 20+ year old child is cool and good

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

A misanthrope posted:

renting is neat
I haven't had to shovel a driveway in so long I had forgotten that it involved snow and was imaging someone digging a driveway with a shovel

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Why take all that debt though. If you rent you can just pull up stakes whenever you like. Not that I would, but I could...

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

notZaar posted:

Why take all that debt though. If you rent you can just pull up stakes whenever you like. Not that I would, but I could...

The millennial generation has no concept of permanence. Relationships, jobs, work-- all is fleeting. They grew up in a world where they closed a video if it didnt entertain them in the first 5 seconds. Of course they cant commit to anything.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Why commit when your boss will shitcan your at-will rear end to save a couple of pennies a year?

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

notZaar posted:

Why commit when your boss will shitcan your at-will rear end to save a couple of pennies a year?

Lol its not my fault for being an easily replaceable shitstain... It's THE MAN.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

have fun with your driveway snowshovel heart attack, idiot

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TwoFire posted:

Lol its not my fault for being an easily replaceable shitstain... It's THE MAN.

Yes? We're all easily replaceable shitstains, no matter what you do or how good you are at it, and whoever signs your paychecks doesn't need much to think firing your rear end will save them money.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 20, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it kind of is actually. Ever since Henry Ford invented the assembly line it's been the trend to turn humans into replaceable work units in all sectors of industry and service.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

univbee posted:

Yes? We're all easily replaceable shitstains, no matter what you do or how good you are at it, and whoever signs your paychecks certainly doesn't either.

Well that's almost a coherent statement.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TwoFire posted:

Well that's almost a coherent statement.

:doh: Just as well I don't have to write in English at my job.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

univbee posted:

:doh: Just as well I don't have to write in English at my job.

Just as long as it isn't PHP. No way a web monkey can afford rent, little alone a mortgage.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

notZaar posted:

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

ANAmal.net posted:

i got my in-laws to throw in down payment money for us to buy a house, and six months later we got divorced and i kept the house and she got nothing lmao

i wasnt even trying to own those people, but man did they ever get owned

i wanna do this pls

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

notZaar posted:

Yeah it kind of is actually. Ever since Henry Ford invented the assembly line it's been the trend to turn humans into replaceable work units in all sectors of industry and service.

actually i think your perspective is probably hosed up because you don't correctly see IT as unskilled labor

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

actually i think your perspective is probably hosed up because you don't correctly see IT as unskilled labor

Hmm could be, I never think much of IT unless I have to call them to fix my phone.

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I built a house inside my apartment. Finding the right buyer has been a bitch.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
having roommates is bad.
paying $500 instead of 8-900$ for a single bedrooms rules.
well, except for the cutting grass part...

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Teflon Don posted:

You can buy a quadruplex with a federally subsidized mortgage and get free room and board from letting three units while you live in the fourth.

this is god drat retarded

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Blue Raider posted:

this is god drat retarded

Don't engage it. It knows better, like any tween millenial.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

I spent like 40% of my childhood shoveling driveways and mowing lawns, being an adult owns cause I don't have to do that poo poo anymore!

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Moridin920 posted:

Property Taxes are much higher.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm on the bottom rung of the property ladder. What I'm SUPPOSED to do now is move every few years, buying a bigger place and taking out a bigger mortgage each time. gently caress that: just going to pay my current place off as fast as possible, then chill out with all the extra money I'll have from not paying a stupid enormous mortgage on a load of space that I don't need.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
will prob. spend it on beer.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Pistol_Pete posted:

will prob. spend it on beer.

same

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Yeah, owning a house sounds pretty good but I might have to do some work and take some goddamn pride in the place I live. No thanks, not for me. I mean could you imagine? Mowing a lawn? Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Skeleton Ape posted:

Yeah, owning a house sounds pretty good but I might have to do some work and take some goddamn pride in the place I live. No thanks, not for me. I mean could you imagine? Mowing a lawn? Lol

Weeding, painting, occasionally cleaning the outside. Thankfully mine isn't the ugliest yard on the block, but its still ugly. loving cheapass sprinkler timer.

• Locked thread