Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

8ender posted:

I really wish they would because it's a neat engine that Ford is obviously quite proud of. I'd love to see it show up in cool places

well, the 2.0 ecoboost costs as much as a 5.0, so i can't imagine it would be too popular even if they did offer it. stitch 2 together into a 2 liter twin turbo i6, though, and we'll talk.

If anybody else has some cash laying around and recently had a tetanus shot, there's a clean title opel gt on copart right now. http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/30597825?searchId=297647277

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Oh hey, I totally didn't see this thread before, seeing a GT rallycrossed is the best thing. As someone already mentioned I'm swapping a DOHC all aluminum Suzuki engine into my GT (targeting 1,700lbs and 120hp, thread soon) which means I have a ton of spare parts I can't use!

Weber 32/36 DGEV (and a Solex and some mystery Holley)
Two intake manifolds
Exhaust manifold (which I could make into a "Sprint" manifold without the heat riser if you'd like)
Brand new headpipe
TIG welded stainless steel battery tray
1.9l engine and transmission obviously

And a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting. Shipping from Ohio (where everything is at the moment) wouldn't be too bad so just let me know, I'd love to see this stuff go to a good home.

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 30, 2015

Five-Ton Lady
Jun 28, 2015

Let's roll

Powershift posted:

If anybody else has some cash laying around and recently had a tetanus shot, there's a clean title opel gt on copart right now. http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/30597825?searchId=297647277

Someone please save that car! It is in -waaaaaaay- better shape than mine and as such I can assure you it's worth it!

Five-Ton Lady
Jun 28, 2015

Let's roll

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Oh hey, I totally didn't see this thread before, seeing a GT rallycrossed is the best thing. As someone already mentioned I'm swapping a DOHC all aluminum Suzuki engine into my GT (targeting 1,700lbs and 120hp, thread soon) which means I have a ton of spare parts I can't use!

Weber 32/36 DGEV (and a Solex and some mystery Holley)
Two intake manifolds
Exhaust manifold (which I could make into a "Sprint" manifold without the heat riser if you'd like)
Brand new headpipe
TIG welded stainless steel battery tray
1.9l engine and transmission obviously

And a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting. Shipping from Ohio (where everything is at the moment) wouldn't be too bad so just let me know, I'd love to see this stuff go to a good home.

Eeeeeee! Yes please!

Not sure if I can pony up for engine shipping at the moment, but carbs and manifold options.... *swoon* I would totally provide a good home for whatever you're willing to part with! Also good luck with the swap and looking forward to the thread!

Five-Ton Lady
Jun 28, 2015

Let's roll
Got the Opel out for her second long dusty day of rallying. Went with a uhaul trailer this time, which provided it's own share of nightmares. For reference guys, the uhaul car transport trailer is only -just- narrow enough to hold a GT. Get it lined up right, and have a spare pair of shorts if you realize how close you are to missing the ramps. Other than that worked great!

Looking ready to me!

They other guys there complained that the venue had very little traction. Too much gravel on a hard surface, very like rolling on marbles. I'd agree. They also said it was murder on tires and to run junk ones. My CL finds held up pretty good actually, and I am so glad I wasn't running on my road tires. Sadly I do not have any action shots as I was driving, but I do have one of her in grid ready to go:

It was a lovely day.

Five-Ton Lady
Jun 28, 2015

Let's roll
Sadly work has kept me too busy to make report-able progress, sorry about that guys. I did make a neat discovery yesterday though. Tearing out the central muffler on the car sounds... well amazing. Pretty sure either a bypass pipe for that piece or a side dump straight pipe will be happening very soon. Also I've just about had it with the Solex, so my schemes for a turbo ready FI setup are gaining traction. Oh, and meatballs:

Also: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321869485989?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT (anyone want to help coordinate locally for me? :kiddo: )

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Oh wow, not only is an 1.1l automatic rare as hell, it's quite possibly the slowest vehicle ever produced by Germany.

Speaking of carbs and hater pipes (yes, do it) let me know if you want any of my Opel parts stash: jimbobd20 at gmail don't ask, I've had it since I was 13

P.S. The car number decals look amazing

E: Wait a minute, if I remember correctly the 1.1l wasn't an option after 1970. Either he's wrong on the displacement or some crazy bastard swapped one in

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 21, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Oh wow, not only is an 1.1l automatic rare as hell, it's quite possibly the slowest vehicle ever produced by Germany.

How slow are the Isettas?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Probably just wrong, and the lack of a photo makes it hard to claim either way. I think the 1.1L is a regular pushrod engine and has a much shorter stamped steel valvecover, rather than the CIH 1.9's finned alloy piece.

Five-Ton Lady
Jun 28, 2015

Let's roll
I'm quite sure that ebayer does not have a 1.1L. (Edit: oh hey look, more pictures. 1.9L confirmed) He does however appear to have a mostly straight car with the AC system that sells for more than my car is worth. Hence my lust.

Speaking of that, here I am stuck out traveling for work and on a random drive to kill time I come across these beauties:

They're for sale no less. So very tempted to test my skills and see if I can't Roadkill one home.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Just tow it with the other opel.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm quite sure I speak for all of us when I say: doooooo itttttttt!

Or, I suppose you know someone with a 6x6 Volvo who could come haul them home?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Leperflesh posted:

I'm quite sure I speak for all of us when I say: doooooo itttttttt!

Or, I suppose you know someone with a 6x6 Volvo who could come haul them home?

Or maybe a 5 ton that can just carry them both.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The meatballs are perfect on that car, holy wow.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Or maybe a 5 ton that can just carry them both.

Yeah really. Just pop them in the bed of your pickup.

Five-Ton Lady
Jun 28, 2015

Let's roll
If my big truck wasn't about 100 gallons of diesel away from me at the moment I would so totally haul one or both home :smugjones:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Five-Ton Lady posted:

If my big truck wasn't about 100 gallons of diesel away from me at the moment I would so totally haul one or both home :smugjones:

So that's like 50 miles??

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

There's a box headed your direction.

:ninja:

Five-Ton Lady
Jun 28, 2015

Let's roll

MonkeyNutZ posted:

There's a box headed your direction.

:ninja:

WOOT!!

Five-Ton Lady
Jun 28, 2015

Let's roll
My work has had me travelling a lot lately, and the string of :mediocre: rental cars has taken a toll on my tolerance of the mundane. This recently manifested with me ripping all but the long down pipe out of my Opel and delighting at the unfiltered cacophony. But dumping out of an unsupported orifice directly under the car is not nearly cool enough for my rustbucket! So I set about directing the sweet vapors and auditory delights out from beneath to where they could be properly shared with the world.

This resulted in jury rigging hijinks due to the fact no one stocks 1 5/8" exhaust pipe, and I was trying to keep returning to stock an option. Old exercise equipment was harmed in the hunt for tubing; dredged up bits of the original rust that are still littering my garage; threw in a few too many exhaust clamps; added in one joking addition that was too awesome to ignore; and we ended up with this:

Sadly while this would have literally blown my skirt up some four cylinder singing in a tunnel less than a week later (and subsequent backfires) resulted in that design self-disassembling and meeting it's death beneath the wheels. :cry:

So now the exhaust leaves the down pipe, takes a quick 90 degree turn with suitable welds, and promptly meets open air having moved into some 1 3/4" pipe for about a foot. It's glorious, but not quite as tetanus-riskingly fun.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

There was an Opel running at the race this weekend, thought I took more photos but I guess not. Had suspension from a BMW (those are shock towers sticking through the hood) and a LS engine from a truck.

Five-Ton Lady
Jun 28, 2015

Let's roll
Took some work but I got the Weber from MonkeyNutz into the Opel. Now I understand why every account says to burn the Solex and go Weber. Wow. Thanks Monkey!

Also swapped out the thermostat for a winter one. Still no heater, but at least the carb gets up to temperature. Which was good because the last Rallycross event for the year was last weekend, and it was hardly warm. Car ran great all day and much awesomeness was had.

The photographer on track got some awesome ones of the other cars as well, including the guy who rented a 2015 Camaro SS. That was fun to see in the dirt: http://shawngavlick.zenfolio.com/p714473741

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
That's an incredible shot. It's like you're in the middle of the Safari Rally.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Wow those helmets just made me realize that car is so small!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

That's an incredible shot. It's like you're in the middle of the Safari Rally.
Yeah, that's fantastic, it should be the FB group banner picture or something.

Five-Ton Lady
Jun 28, 2015

Let's roll

Jonny Nox posted:

Wow those helmets just made me realize that car is so small!

Yep, tiny car. Though she did something I didn't think possible. I got all four dirt tires behind the front seats (one is hiding above the gas tank in the spare's spot)

Rest of my junk fit on the passenger side, including the full sized floor jack. Self contained rally car, just add dirt.

Oh and the quality is embarrassing (old camera), but I've got this up now too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT9DHn4AY58

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Don't know how I missed your last post, that looks like an absolute blast. The GT seems to make an awesome rallycross car which makes sense given its past racing history:

You probably have to turn a hell of a lot less for the chicanes since it's so narrow. How's the suspension holding up? Looked into new shocks?

Once we get back into warm weather let me know if you run into any issues with vapor lock, I still have the old exhaust manifold from my GT sitting around as a spare to try the heat riser removal. If you cut off the heat riser/chimney that goes up to the bottom of the intake manifold and have a plate welded over the hole it's a two birds one stone modification. It should solve any hot starting/fuel boiling issues and is good for a few horsepower since it's roughly the same as one of the ultra rare "sprint" manifolds.

Five-Ton Lady
Jun 28, 2015

Let's roll
Egads, I'd feared this had been shut down. Okay so got kind of distracted from posting by life, and a relocation to the far side of the country. Sorry about that guys.

Some highlights:

M923 does a bang up job of moving stuff, even for civilians. When I set the Bridgeport on it (~2000lbs), it didn't even flinch. Covered in everything else I could get on it, including a M105 trailer loaded to the rafters and it made it 1400 miles without issue. Yeah sure it only went 30 mph up some of the hills, but it got us here!

Opel is still in mothballs after having a lazy trailer trip out. Haven't gotten to much there yet, and without Rallycross being a known factor I don't know when I will.

More in the works is possible rebuilding of some bikes, general area exploration, and shop setup. Maybe not post worthy, but hey not dead yet so who knows!

oh yeah, and there's boats out here... dunno if that's automotive enough, but I'm certain there will be insanity...

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yes to all oh the above please.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Can you take some pictures of taking the M923 to Home Depot and intimidating jacked-up contractor brotrucks?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hopefully my truck will be roadworthy by the time we go to put up new fencing because I can't wait to tell the HD employees "just put it in the bed, it'll fit" and listen to them laugh and tell me I'm nuts before bringing the truck over.

Speaking of Bridgeports, you guys need to build yourselves a ginpole/A-frame bumper attachment. Soooo useful. I think I have $100 into the metal and $80 for the 2 ton chainfall at HF.

2900lb and the truck barely even moved.

Five-Ton Lady
Jun 28, 2015

Let's roll

kastein posted:

Hopefully my truck will be roadworthy by the time we go to put up new fencing because I can't wait to tell the HD employees "just put it in the bed, it'll fit" and listen to them laugh and tell me I'm nuts before bringing the truck over.

Speaking of Bridgeports, you guys need to build yourselves a ginpole/A-frame bumper attachment. Soooo useful. I think I have $100 into the metal and $80 for the 2 ton chainfall at HF.

2900lb and the truck barely even moved.

Tell me more please... because yes, yes I need that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's literally just two ten-foot pieces of 2" steel pipe from the plumbing aisle of Home Depot (~35 bucks each), a small piece of 2x2 1/4-wall box tubing at the top with two tabs and a piece of 1" cold-roll round bar for the chainfall to hang from, another larger piece of 2x2 1/4-wall box tubing at the bottom to tie the two legs of the A-frame together, with two double shear 1/4-wall box tubing brackets for the stock 5-ton recovery points, all welded together. I use 1" grade 8 bolts as pins that go through the tabs on the base of the A-frame and the stock D-ring recovery mount holes. A piece of steel cable or a long-rear end 20k lb recovery strap to the rear hitch keeps it from falling forward. I'll probably put a winch and a sheave on the bed at some point so I can raise and lower the A-frame without dinking around in the bed.

I was very careful when placing the mounting ears at the base so that they would also fit the front bumper on my Comanche, since it has 1" hole recovery points as well. This is not really useful information to anyone else, unless they also own an M39A2 series 5-ton (not sure if recovery point spacing is the same on M800 series or M900 series) and built their MJ's bumper exactly how I did.

Here's all the photos I have... should give you a better idea than my spew of :words: did probably. You guys can probably fab one up in a weekend, once given the idea. Also, mount your cold-roll round bar for the chainfall on longer ears from the top 2x2 crossbar, I have to finagle my chainfall onto it. Even another half inch would make it easy.

This is about the best pic of it in use overall.

Here's the business end where the chainfall hooks on. Make those ears about half to 1 inch longer... this side faces down when in use. Maybe put another similar set of ears opposite these ones (mirrored around the A-frame, not the square tube) to hook the cable stay to, but I just loop it around the 2x2 box tubing between the chainfall hanging ears.

And unfortunately this is the best pic I have of the lower mounting tabs and brace that go to the recovery points on the truck's front bumper. I'll try to take better ones this weekend if you need them.

I think I have maybe 100 bucks in materials and a few hours in time into it, complete, not including the cable stay or the chainfall. Easily worth it, I basically gave my engine hoist to ACEofsnett and have used nothing but this since then. I have no doubt it'd lift the 4000lb my chainfall is rated for, if attached to a suitably heavy vehicle and stayed appropriately to the rear bumper or hitch. It can only handle about a thousand pounds if mounted to the MJ, unless I fill the bed with scrapmetal ballast.

e: oh yeah, putting it on the truck is a two-person job unless you design the bumper mounting ears better so it will lean all the way down onto the ground at the tip, or are clever or determined. I have to balance the tip on a spare tire or stack of cement blocks while wrestling the two 1" bolt shear pins through its mounting ears and the bumper recovery points unless I have someone around to hold it up and maneuver it till the bolts line up. Raising it is also somewhat annoying, I recommend a winch or a 2" 10,000lb ratchet strap. It's not ideal, but for $100 plus a chainfall and some straps I already had, it does 90% of the job every time.

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 25, 2016

Five-Ton Lady
Jun 28, 2015

Let's roll
Thanks Kastein. I'm going to see about setting something like that up.

Also I got bored and made something ... eh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy18tZm6gu0

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Video proof that it runs and skids! Awesome.

Sweet compound, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Get bored more often, then!

• Locked thread