Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
They are very cute, and I definitely think this game has boodles of character. Helping this fact is, of course, the voice cast. People we've heard so far include:

Old Graham - Christopher Lloyd If you don't know who Christopher Lloyd is, I really can't help you. Ohhhh, fine, I will... But only to point out that he went Back! To the Future! and that he sounded just... Like... Thiiiiiiiis! (He was Doc Brown and Judge Doom, among many other notable roles)

Young Graham - Josh Keaton The voice of Hal Jordan, Rick Taylor from Splatterhouse, Valerian Mengsk (Starcraft), Jak, and a whole host of other roles (Including quite a few "Other voices", which is hard work!), Josh is no stranger to VA.

The Miracle Merchant - Tom Kenny Ohhhh, no, The city of Townsville is in trouble! But don't worry, the Merchant of Miracles has you covered, as endorsed by the voice behind the Mayor of Townsville, Spongebob Squarepants, The Ice King, and more.

Gwendolyn - Maggie Elizabeth Jones Only long term role for Maddie Fox was in Ben and Kate, but you can see the VA talent, and, at seven (the reported age on her IMDB profile), that's a hell of a thing.

Obviously, there are others, but the voice talent for this game, overall, is nearly all Names In The Industry.

paradoxGentleman posted:

It turns me off somewhat to see a big-nosed, greedy merchant character, as funny as he is.

Going back to the Miracle Merchant, it's most likely he's a Gnome. There's a fair few references to older King's Quest games in this one, and he might be among them (Too early to tell yet). Others include the Dragon and the Golden Mirror (Both of which were a puzzle in the first game), and the mysterious rash of broken bridges (Again, a reference to the first game, where bridges in the Kingdom of Daventry were notoriously unreliable and badly maintained)

Nonetheless, I do agree with paradoxGentleman, in that this is an example of a character who might have been thought to be just cliche, but, as many know, it's only a short step from cliche to racist caricature, and it can be easy to accidentally (or otherwise) overstep this line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

JamieTheD posted:

Going back to the Miracle Merchant, it's most likely he's a Gnome. There's a fair few references to older King's Quest games in this one, and he might be among them (Too early to tell yet). Others include the Dragon and the Golden Mirror (Both of which were a puzzle in the first game), and the mysterious rash of broken bridges (Again, a reference to the first game, where bridges in the Kingdom of Daventry were notoriously unreliable and badly maintained)

Nonetheless, I do agree with paradoxGentleman, in that this is an example of a character who might have been thought to be just cliche, but, as many know, it's only a short step from cliche to racist caricature, and it can be easy to accidentally (or otherwise) overstep this line.

Actually the Miracle Merchant appears to be of a distinct but very human ethnicity, rather than a gnome, since you see others like him later on - he just uh, maybe actually has stunted his growth. But yeah, the merchant angle is kind of an uncertain one due to obvious real life uses of the broad imagery.

I'm actually curious what the number of coins in Graham's pocket is after this. Its a minor but important detail, and I'm curious if the game basically disguises how it gets you to that in the whole 'ticket' discussion.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Astro Nut posted:

I'm actually curious what the number of coins in Graham's pocket is after this. Its a minor but important detail, and I'm curious if the game basically disguises how it gets you to that in the whole 'ticket' discussion.

I forgot to mention it, but I think you only have one gold piece left after you buy the ticket from the merchant.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

kalonZombie posted:

I forgot to mention it, but I think you only have one gold piece left after you buy the ticket from the merchant.

Figured as much. I haggled with him due to leaving the tip, but evidently the game just sets a default on how much he leaves you with, rather than adjust what he takes.

fillertrack
Aug 5, 2015
Thank you for the suggestions gegi those do look interesting! On the Miracle Merchant ceartinly there were no bad intentions on the developers part but they should have known better. Maybe his chracter will be enough to overshadow or even defy the superficial stereotypes? We'll see. Tom Kenny though is on point and is very charming so that gives me hope.

Samovar posted:

I have to admit, I am sick of the Tell-tale games since any decision results in the same result, over and over again.

Especially if you have an eye for game design you can see the outcome coming a mile away. I think they really need put more effort into getting out of that. Maybe more subtle choices rather than big dramatic choices? For choices to have a large impact in the game there needs to be a lot of planning and with that a budget. Heres hoping this game comes through with that in some way.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
Minor question, but I have a feeling I know the answer already:

If you pick up all three items, do the two you don't use get "lost" in the merchants cart and you don't realize they are gone till after you step off and he's gone?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Ben Kasack posted:

Minor question, but I have a feeling I know the answer already:

If you pick up all three items, do the two you don't use get "lost" in the merchants cart and you don't realize they are gone till after you step off and he's gone?

I doesn't let you pick up more then one. Old Graham will say he had borrowed enough for one day.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

fillertrack posted:

Especially if you have an eye for game design you can see the outcome coming a mile away. I think they really need put more effort into getting out of that. Maybe more subtle choices rather than big dramatic choices? For choices to have a large impact in the game there needs to be a lot of planning and with that a budget. Heres hoping this game comes through with that in some way.

I've mentioned some above, but in general I would say the way the game is set up, its such that you don't necessarily realise there was another way to approach things because of how clear your choice will have been in the path that you ultimately followed. The game is ultimately pretty neat on how it handles items getting into your inventory, and then how you use them when certain paths are and aren't available.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Good idea for an LP in the face of what likely is some lousy behavior by the game's creators.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I hope some of Sierra's other ridiculous franchises come back, by which I mean please make another Quest For Glory sierra

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

I hope some of Sierra's other ridiculous franchises come back, by which I mean please make another Quest For Glory sierra
Right, we need a worthy follow-up to QfG 5.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Comedy option would be a revival of Police Quest

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
there's apparently a bunch of drama over qfg reboots too that I don't remember.

But who cares, the best sierra ip has already been revived by the original developers with no drama. Yes, I'm talking about "The Incredible Machine" revived as "Contraption Maker". The ___ of Dr. Brain and Quarky and Quaysoo's Turbo Science are hopefully in the pipeline too.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Don't ask Sierra.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Acne Rain posted:

But who cares, the best sierra ip has already been revived by the original developers

Space Quest 7 is not on Steam.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hero-u is terrible

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Comedy option would be a revival of Police Quest
I'd prefer a revival of its spinoff, SWAT 4.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

hero-u is terrible
hero-u is not even out yet

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Xander77 posted:

hero-u is not even out yet

theyve done gameplay demos and streams and it looks awful

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
If you're hankering for QFG, I assume you've already found Heroine's Quest, which is amazing and also free.

King's Quest is looking pretty fun, though I'm wondering if the puzzles ever get more convoluted, in classic Sierra fashion. So far they've pretty much been confined to one screen or one straight path.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I had not heard of Heroine's Quest, but I'm downloading it right now.

Also, while incredibly short, these little adventure vignettes look really fun. Hopefully we'll all get to enjoy the inevitable death reel.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I rather liked Heroine's Quest, and I'm hoping to replay it with a different class if and when they finally patch their mind-numbingly stupid interface design choices.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Sorry for the late update. MGSV has stolen my soul.

Episode 3: The Tale of the Test of Chivalry

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Somehow i feel that, having never played a King's Quest game before (aside from KQ 8 lol), i'm missing tons of callbacks, in-jokes and references to things i don't understand. Like that talk about the hatchet, or another item earlier that the narrator was VERY INCONSPICUOUS about. Or the subs go like "Wow, that really was Wallace Shawn!" and i'm just thinking "... who?"

There's so many instances of I'm Missing Something and it just leaves me confused and disappointed afterwards.

edit: Is the Ponce Knight atually voiced by Lowtax

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 5, 2015

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

HenryEx posted:

"Wow, that really was Wallace Shawn!" and i'm just thinking "... who?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eZmEiyTo0

EDIT: Also I referenced this in the subtitles as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhXjcZdk5QQ

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 5, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I think the hatchet joke is just meant to be' a reference to the fact that in this sort of games you always end up combining everything with everything else in a desperate attempt to advance the plot.

I really love the design and personalities of the knights. They are not particularly original but they are amusing.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 5, 2015

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

paradoxGentleman posted:

I think the hatchet joke is just meant to be' a reference to the fact that in this sort of games you always end up combining everything with everything else in a desperate attempt to advance the plot.

I really love the design and personalities of the knights. They are not particularly original but they are amusing.

Pretty sure there was an axe you could use multiple times in one of the earlier KQs, and, as to the Knights, they're definitely not original, but they do sort of mirror Graham in certain aspects, however much I'm sure Graham wouldn't like to admit it (As most of them appear to be jerks of one kind or another.)

For example, there are three paths Graham can take, adventure wise: Charm, Wits, or Violence. Three of those are embodied (Albeit in overriding, often negative aspects) in Whisper, Manny, and Acron respectively. Achaka is only sort of the odd one out here, as an option that's often (But not always) available to Graham is his archery skills... And Achaka has that in spades.

As to negative aspects, Whisper is Pride, Manny is Overconfidence, Akron is stubborn independence, and, again, Achaka is sort of the odd one out, as we don't really know enough about him yet to be sure.

The fact that Achaka's the odd one out makes the odds high that either he's not going to play a massive role, for some reason, or that he is going to be the semi-finalist or trouble in some other form.

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011
I had no idea who Wallace Shawn was by name, but it made me think. It's kind of weird how despite how awesome he is, I ONLY know him by his voice and face. Mostly voice, though. To be honest, I thought he died years ago... I'm really glad he's still alive.

Like, how you can try and think of an actor's name when you see them in a movie, and come up blank about anything else they've been in, but the moment they start speaking (even in a perfect accent, like Peter Sellers used to be able to do), it all comes flooding back.

It's even weirder because I'm bad at names and faces, but also partially deaf, yet I can recognize voices the best. Although, maybe it's because of the deafness that my brain rewired around it to not notice accents? I pick them up without noticing and imitate them perfectly if I listen to someone talk for a few minutes. It annoys people since they think I'm mocking them, but I'm not.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Thankfully, most people from the Princess Bride are still alive.

Except Andre. :(

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I really like the animations in this game. Cartoonish exaggerations are pretty rare when it comes to games and it's a drat shame.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

Great Joe posted:

I'd prefer a revival of its spinoff, SWAT 4.

Amen.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

No update for the last two weeks because of various reasons (mgsv and lp vacation mostly), then I forgot to record in the proper resolution. Oh well!

Episode 4: The Tale of Meeting the Townsfolk

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Glad to see this back!

We're already starting to see this game being influenced by kZ's decisions. At the beginning of the game, he went for the aggressive path by shooting the dragon in the eye. This path is represented amongst the townsfolk by the blacksmith, who as a consequence likes Graham, while the other shopkeepers, who represent the cunning and the kind one (started off respectively by distracting and freeing the dragon at the beginning) are more dubious of him. This would have of course changed if kZ had started off the game differently.

Futhermore, he could have left some money on the tip jar to pay for the bread he "borrowed". Apparently when this game was presented as PAX, almost nobody did that! I don't like what this says about the gaming population at large.

By the way, you can of course pass the test by paying any of the shopkeepers, but I won't spoil how until kZ has reached the appropriate parts.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
...week whacker?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Thesaya posted:

...week whacker?

Typos that kalon isn't bothering to go back and fix now that the episode is live: 1

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Glad to see this back!

We're already starting to see this game being influenced by kZ's decisions. At the beginning of the game, he went for the aggressive path by shooting the dragon in the eye. This path is represented amongst the townsfolk by the blacksmith, who as a consequence likes Graham, while the other shopkeepers, who represent the cunning and the kind one (started off respectively by distracting and freeing the dragon at the beginning) are more dubious of him. This would have of course changed if kZ had started off the game differently.

Futhermore, he could have left some money on the tip jar to pay for the bread he "borrowed". Apparently when this game was presented as PAX, almost nobody did that! I don't like what this says about the gaming population at large.

By the way, you can of course pass the test by paying any of the shopkeepers, but I won't spoil how until kZ has reached the appropriate parts.

Thanks for this insight, I was really curious how the 'Decisions" affect the rest of the game. :D

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That crowns line!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Friggin' nifty. I like that the game is so subtle about the paths to progress it suggest to you.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

So, fun fact: Amaya is voiced by Zelda Williams, who some might otherwise know as Kuvira from The Legend of Korra. Its her first role in a video game, far as I'm aware. The character is also confirmed to be returning (not surprising, episodic adventures and all) for episode 2, and she's actually had to work on getting the voice right since she stopped smoking between episodes.

Chester and Muriel are also why I suspect that the Merchant of Miracles isn't really a gnome or the like. They look to be of the same ethnicity, and one imagines that the Merchant has probably... affected himself, with his various wares.

On a side note - its weird to think about how uncommon the concept of a knight serving in a kingdom other than their own has become in fiction, video games especially. Even Link from the Legend of Zelda was originally a travelling foreigner who just kinda stumbled into Hyrule when there was trouble afoot. But the archetype as it stands is almost always from within whatever kingdom they serve - the most distant they'll get being from some far-off part of the countryside. So Graham being in Daventry because its the traditional family job feels... oddly refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I also want to point out something someone else pointed out to me.

Whisper is voiced by Gaston which makes me love his character even more :allears:

• Locked thread