Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Can I recommend Survive Style 5+? It's pretty good. Oh! My Zombie Mermaid is a pretty dumb movie, but I think the ending stuff is worth it.

Will try to watch at least a few of these as they come up since I love watching weird/good asian movies and spent a good long time watching a ton of them on CR before they went official. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i think i need an invite

this too

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Miike did a good job of blending real gangster movie with other stuff in ryu ga gotoku. The only thing really on my movie wishlist is watching an entire Torakku Yarou movie or the Sonny Chiba movie where he's a ninja though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hell, if we are doing Miike movies. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rajio no jikan was pretty good

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If we're opening up the Miike oeuvre, you gotta go with the musical he did, Happiness of the Katakuris.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

PotU posted:

rajio no jikan was pretty good

This movie also owns. It's basically a feature length episode of Frasier.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

on the media thing. i wasn't able to find a source, i probably read it one of the dozen music blogs i've followed over the years. the billboard page for them has a small mention of censorship though:

'their fame was growing ever bigger, not hindered even by a yearlong TV ban imposed on Blue Hearts by the stations because of the bandmembers' provocative behavior. '

although it describes them as quite liked by the media besides that. well who knows

as for invites, some people have already contacted me on steam. currently the invite system is down though, so i can't send any. when its up i will

rajio no jikan was good, i watched it the last time boom boom boom posted about it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

btw it might be fun to do a shinobu yaguchi film since a bunch of them are pretty low key slice of life films. like a live action free (waterboys) or sound! euphonium (swing girls). his adrenaline drive is also a nice road trip movie. not the greatest films, just nice friendly comedies

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh im 90% sure i watched swing girls but it really wasnt very good

TheTromboner
Nov 12, 2008
Love Exposure has a sick loving soundtrack and I hope you guys actually watch that long rear end movie.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

TheTromboner posted:

Love Exposure has a sick loving soundtrack and I hope you guys actually watch that long rear end movie.
I had issues convincing people to watch it with me without telling them it was four loving hours. Does it flow well, or am I basically sitting in the third Lord of the Rings movie waiting for it to end so I can pee

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

PotU posted:

oh im 90% sure i watched swing girls but it really wasnt very good

i liked it well enough, gave it a 7.

either way, i always see these sort of things as a way to get people to watch a variety of things rather than just the cream of the crop

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
The film is on youtube with french subtitles si tu parle francaise. Can someone PM me a link to an english subbed version tho please :P

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

K. Flaps posted:

The film is on youtube with french subtitles si tu parle francaise.

Merci beaucoup! :tipshat:

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
My suggested viewing: Harakiri (Kobayashi, not Miike), and House. Both have Criterion blu-ray releases and are on Hulu Plus.

I'd go as far as saying Harakiri is the best Japanese movie not made by Kurosawa, and House is as insane as anything in anime.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Does Snowpiercer count?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Level Slide posted:

Does Snowpiercer count?

If it does then so does The Last Stand.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Face-Off

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Level Slide posted:

Does Snowpiercer count?

boom boom boom posted:

If it does then so does The Last Stand.
id say snowpiercer counts because everything about it is south korean but the other two definitely don't. just having an asian director isn't enough to qualify.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Is the whole thing about train-based castes a South Korean thing? I mean castes are a wide-reaching concept, but Snowpiercer really loving laid it in with those speeches on castes and shoes and hats.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

the inane old people ranting club is that way ---->

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

+1'ing
Survive Style 5+
Chungking Express
Bird People in China
Memories of Murder

Also The Man from Nowhere is good I thought
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38rPoGSr19U

Also Mother
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oBwQHWeYxo

and The Chaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKWpmWogo3s

Also Adrift in Tokyo was chill and good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Om6r_Ocfps

e: oh gently caress how could i forget about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbFEPS8PPic

doomisland fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 22, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Budget Prefuse posted:

id say snowpiercer counts because everything about it is south korean but the other two definitely don't. just having an asian director isn't enough to qualify.

How does a movie based on a French comic, filmed in Eastern Europe, starring mostly British and American actors, in English, have everything about it be Korean?

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

How does a movie based on a French comic, filmed in Eastern Europe, starring mostly British and American actors, in English, have everything about it be Korean?
because it's directed by a korean man, produced by a korean man, written by a korean man, has korean actors in a story that originally didn't feature any korean characters, had a korean cinematographer, was distributed by a korean company, premiered in korea and is listed as a South Korean movie. more importantly, why the gently caress does it matter? what retarded point are you trying to point out here?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Budget Prefuse posted:

because it's directed by a korean man, produced by a korean man, written by a korean man, has korean actors in a story that originally didn't feature any korean characters, had a korean cinematographer, was distributed by a korean company, premiered in korea and is listed as a South Korean movie. more importantly, why the gently caress does it matter? what retarded point are you trying to point out here?

It's only co-written by a Korean man.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

please stop posting in this thread if all you're going to do is shitpost

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If it's officially classified as a South Korean movie, fair enough. I just always thought of it as a more international movie.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

when are we going to watch yojimbo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

It's only co-written by a Korean man.

Logic wins again.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's going to take us [Dr Evil voice] One Beelion years to watch everything cool that's already been suggested, but i would argue that Face-Off is a Hong Kong movie. We don't have to watch it since there's so many better movies to watch, but it could be a fun argument.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
While I'm sure no shortage of people here have seen it I've got to suggest Drunken Master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQMNllz6aE0

For extra fun drink to it and try to imitate Jackie Chan (please do not do this)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

It's going to take us [Dr Evil voice] One Beelion years to watch everything cool that's already been suggested, but i would argue that Face-Off is a Hong Kong movie. We don't have to watch it since there's so many better movies to watch, but it could be a fun argument.

theres a lot of john woo i havent seen

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

theres a lot of john woo i havent seen

he made a lot of fun trashy movies.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ldoyx4qYCY

the first two A Better Tomorrow movies are great

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I asked in the "identify a movie thread" in CineD, and nobody had any idea, maybe y'all will know.

Theres this movie I saw a few years back, I think in 2006 I bought it on DVD, so it was available on DVD in America in 2006. It also didn't seem too old at the time, so I think it was made in the last 90s or early 2000s. I'm 95% sure it was Korean. Could've been Chinese or Hong Kong, but I doubt it, and it definitely wasn't Japanese. It's about this group of criminals who do a crime of some sort, and a cop who's trying to stop them. There's a climactic scene at an opera house. The main thing I remember is the very end. The cop is in a department store when he runs into the main criminal. The cop doesn't want anybody to know that there's a criminal there, I think to avoid a panic, and the criminal doesn't want anyone to know either, so this very low speed chase scene ensues, where the criminal is trying to run away without looking like he's running, and the cop is chasing him without looking like he's chasing anybody. There's a guy playing a piano in the department store, and the beginning of the chase syncs up with the music.

That's all I can remember. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i've been wondering where i can see sweet home in english

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I've just finished the first movie on the list, Linda, Linda, Linda!

Slow start, good ending. Slice of life Japanese high school movie, if you've seen one before it's the same a lot of them are. The standout of the movie in my opinion is Son, a Korean exchange singer who becomes their reluctant lead singer for their covers of the Japanese punk-band The Blue Hearts. Three of the girls have some kind of driving motivation throughout the movie, one girl is just kind of there. Ironically she's the one who's actually in a band (Called Base Ball Bear)

Another fun fact about casting! One of the lead girls was featured in both Battle Royale movies and Son, the Korean girl was in the popular Korean revenge movie "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" (She's the lead character's girlfriend)

Overall: Not the best High School slice-of-life movie I've seen (I enjoyed Hana and Alice more) or the best music-drama (I'm a huge fan of BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad). It still had a little charm, but seemed a little long for the kind of movie it is. 3.0/5 from me.

I don't watch much asian films but it seems like every single live-action thing I watch has an actor from a different movie/show I've seen.

e: I'm hours and hours early but it's technically sunday here okay

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

today's sunday and we'll be watching Love Live! The School Idol Movie Linda! Linda Linda! today!! i see one person already watched it which is good. personally i'll be watching it later tonight. have fun everyone :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i actually cant find the movie and davincie is a terrible troll

• Locked thread