Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Like I'm trying to watch a comedy TV show I don't need the writers to tell me when I'm supposed to laugh, like why the gently caress are we still using a dumb rear end laugh track, it's the year 2015 for christs sake. Even worse like every other line someone says, *Play laugh track*

I'm just kidding, they use the laugh track because the writing is so loving bad they need to make sure the audience knows when they actually told a joke (even though it's not funny).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

video of big bang theory without laugh track

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

TEAYCHES posted:

video of big bang theory without laugh track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
You know what needs a laugh track? E/N.

That way, when I read an OP and want to cry, I get reminded to laugh instead.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
Can someone tell me what TYOOL is? Thankis!

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

POWERBALL posted:

The yeast of old lumpy

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

POWERBALL posted:

Two young oily oxen licks

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
TYOOL

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

A good video

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Idk (I don't know), HTH (hope this helps)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

POWERBALL posted:

It stands for The Year Of Our Lord.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Like I'm trying to watch a comedy TV show I don't need the writers to tell me when I'm supposed to laugh, like why the gently caress are we still using a dumb rear end laugh track, it's the year 2015 for christs sake. Even worse like every other line someone says, *Play laugh track*

I'm just kidding, they use the laugh track because the writing is so loving bad they need to make sure the audience knows when they actually told a joke (even though it's not funny).

gently caress off to TYOOL

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
it's because multicam sitcoms are basically stage plays where the live laughter helps the actors and writers perform, but since you pause for laughter when acting on stage, it sounds really odd to air it without that laugh track still in.

hth op

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
still writing TYOOL posts in TMOOL august

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i like tyool

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Axel Serenity posted:

it's because multicam sitcoms are basically stage plays where the live laughter helps the actors and writers perform, but since you pause for laughter when acting on stage, it sounds really odd to air it without that laugh track still in.

hth op

What is this nerd poo poo

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
TBH, the third season of League of Gentlemen was tough to watch without the laugh track. I had a hard time telling what was supposed to be funny and what was supposed to be dark twisted suspense. I felt bad laughing at a one armed man getting run over every episode.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
*am paranoid schizophrenic

*hears laughter track in head constantly

Hey gently caress you guys!

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

pretty solid youtube comments in there

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

quote:

show is so poo poo it makes me wanna take a poo poo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i get home tired for work, and my god the tv laughs for me and it is good

i am not laughing, but nonetheless i experience the laughter

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

because the writing is poo poo and people who watch the lovely shows are too loving stupid to know when there's a joke so they have to be told when to laugh.

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
Because they are TV shows about your penis and the fake laughter covers the sound of the audience moaning and vomiting.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the comfort and tradition of that style of television shows allows people to easily settle into the shows without worrying too much

they've already seen friends or married with children or whatever so its easy comforting to watch something with the same rhythm and pacing

bunch of rubes

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Nobody's stupid enough to think you need to be told to laugh. The thing with laugh tracks is that they're more likely to cause people to laugh along with the show, because laughter is a social thing, and you're more likely to actually laugh if people are laughing, even if they're not there, than you are if there's nobody.

Anyone who thinks that the shows are trying to tell you when to laugh doesn't really understand comedy imo

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Ddraig posted:

Anyone who thinks that the shows are trying to tell you when to laugh doesn't really understand comedy imo

always punch up, right?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

After spending time with the elderly I've realized that most of them turn the TV onto CBS and straight-up won't change it for 24+ hours at a clip. Given how they're probably some of the only demo with a significant share of Nielsen boxes, that could explain why CBS is by far at the forefront of being at least 10 years behind the curve in terms of comic sensibilities.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
I saw a bit of MASH which I watched as a kid recently and it had a laugh track on it which is how it went out originally in the US apparently, completely ruined the whole show. Craig Robinsons new sitcom Mr Robinson has a terrible laugh track too, though I imagine the show would be just as awful without it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nothing wrong with a laugh track. Blackadder and Yes Minister both very nice British comedies that work with it.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDIi0dzmvpE

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i saw the new mas max movie the other week and it was reall good. i liked it a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Ddraig posted:

Nobody's stupid enough to think you need to be told to laugh. The thing with laugh tracks is that they're more likely to cause people to laugh along with the show, because laughter is a social thing, and you're more likely to actually laugh if people are laughing, even if they're not there, than you are if there's nobody.

But that IS the reason laugh tracks are still used! Today they are used as a crutch for lovely writing and the entire script is built around those pauses. It ensures even the shittiest jokes or non-jokes "land". In turn the writers don't have to question whether or not a joke is actually funny or write compelling dialogue.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 21, 2015

• Locked thread