Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Destiny was released in September 2014 as Bungie's debut on the new console generation with their new decade-long partners, Activision. It released on the PS4 and the Xbox One, as well as their predecessors, to decent reviews. Most early reviews cited the lack of real endgame content on release as a reason why they weren't completely thrilled with it, but Destiny is ever-evolving. Patches for the game are always being pushed for both balance and content, and Bungie is constantly monitoring both the community and data collected by their servers in order to better serve the community.

Our tale begins with the finding of the satellite called the Traveler during an expedition on the surface of Mars. Over time, it bestowed humanity with gifts of technology and longevity. But, with these gifts came an ancient "Darkness" that aims to hunt and destroy the Traveler and those touched by its benevolence. Thus rose the Guardians, exceptional beings sworn to protect humanity from the Traveler's myriad enemies. We are one such Guardian, recently returned from the dead in the Traveler's time of greatest need to push back the encroaching armies and strike at the heart of the Darkness.

(Weren't you LPing Call of Du...?)
Yes. It's dead now. Maybe later.

This LP will consist of two sets of videos per update: cut- and uncut audio, as always. Some updates may come with supplementary videos if necessary, and other additional material will be posted alongside the video portions.

But that's enough about that. Let's become legend.

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Destiny is not a game that likes to give you everything up-front. Being a modern game, there is no real game manual that tells you what the backstory is, or what kind of enemy you'll be facing during gameplay. No, Bungie hid a lot of their plot fluff that isn't directly important to the game's story in a system called the Grimoire, and hid that Grimoire on the game's website. Every so often during gameplay, when you finish certain levels or reach milestones in your murderous rampage of the Darkness' armies, you will unlock Grimoire cards. These cards serve as both trophies and small libraries of knowledge. Some even improve certain functions within the game; for example, kill enough of a certain type of enemy, and you earn more cash for each high-ranked member of that enemy you kill.

Within every update I'll include a small selection of the cards we've unlocked for those that are interested in learning more about the universe, the Guardians that protect it, and those who would see them fall.

Episode 1: A Guardian Rises
A Guardian Rises
Warlocks
Guardian Abiliites/Voidwalkers
The Fallen

Episode 2: Restoration
Dregs
Shanks
Vandals
Riksis, Devil Archon
The Speaker
Scout Rifles

Episode 3: The Dark Within
The Dark Within
Hand Cannons
Ghosts
Dead Ghosts
Earth
Ghost Fragment: Earth
Old Russia

Episode 5: The Warmind
Nova Bomb
Pulse Rifles
Guardian Ships
Sparrow
Titan Vanguard - Commander Zavala
The Warmind

Episodes 6 & 7: The Last Array/The Devils' Lair
The Last Array
Sniper Rifles
Rocket Launchers
Arc Damage
Solar Damage
Void Damage
Fallen Captains
Servitors
House of Devils
Sepiks Prime
Strikes Introduction
The Devils' Lair

Episode 8: The Dark Beyond
Machine Guns
The Hive
Thralls
The Dark Beyond

Episode 9: The World's Grave
The World's Grave
Hive Shredder
Hive Boomer

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 13, 2016

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 20, 2016

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Ground Floor of your mental degradation. Best of luck Python. :v:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
So will you be grinding for exotics off camera or...?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Bless your soul, Pythonicus. Pray you still have it by the end of the LP. :patriot:

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

IronSaber posted:

So will you be grinding for exotics off camera or...?

I have a few of the pre-expansion ones on my non-LP account that I can show off if necessary, but I wasn't looking at trying to show of ALL of them :shepicide:

Dr. Dubious
Dec 5, 2010

Amputee Ninja Ryu Hayabusa
I'm going to try to stay away from talking about inane things like peanut butter and jelly for as long as I can, but by episode 125 I think my will won't be strong enough, and I'll have run my 2 jokes into the earth's crust :v:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I was sad when I learned that this wouldn't come to PC because it looked really drat good and interesting! Keeping an eye on this thread for sure

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Tin Tim posted:

I was sad when I learned that this wouldn't come to PC because it looked really drat good and interesting! Keeping an eye on this thread for sure
I was really hoping this would get a PC release as well, but alas, Activision. Regardless, here's another mini-update (which may or may not have been intended for the first post :ssh:). Today we explore a little bit of the Tower, and take a peek into the Grimoire system.

The Grimoire

Destiny is not a game that likes to give you everything up-front. Being a modern game, there is no real game manual that tells you what the backstory is, or what kind of enemy you'll be facing during gameplay. No, Bungie hid a lot of their plot fluff that isn't directly important to the game's story in a system called the Grimoire, and hid that Grimoire on the game's website. Every so often during gameplay, when you finish certain levels or reach milestones in your murderous rampage of the Darkness' armies, you will unlock Grimoire cards. These cards serve as both trophies and small libraries of knowledge. Some even improve certain functions within the game; for example, kill enough of a certain type of enemy, and you earn more cash for each high-ranked member of that enemy you kill.

Within every update I'll include a small selection of the cards we've unlocked for those that are interested in learning more about the universe, the Guardians that protect it, and those who would see them fall.

A Guardian Rises
Warlocks
Guardian Abiliites/Voidwalkers
The Fallen

STRIKES

As I said in the first video, there are dungeons in this FPS, that require you to work with two teammates to overcome challenges--generally loads of enemies and tough bullet-sponge bosses--which I will be showing off. For these "strikes", I would like to walk in with a Fireteam of goons from the thread.

The first strike, "The Devil's Lair" is our first stop, and I'm looking to do this at some point on Wednesday, August 26. Which means, if you want your shot of being in one of these silly videos, make sure you've got the following:

A PS4 and a copy of the game.
    A character of level 8 or above (preferably as close to 8 as possible).
    A PC with Skype installed.
    Audacity.
    About 30-60 minutes of free time.

If you meet these requirements, send me a friend request on the PS4 at "PythonicusSA" with something regarding this in your invite.

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 28, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Funny that you bring up Dinklage. Apparently he's being replaced with Nolan North very soon, since he had scheduling conflicts that did not allow him to continue doing voice work for the game, and there are still DLC expansions coming out. North re-recorded all of the dialogue for Ghost as well, for the entirety of the game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Tin Tim posted:

This is me too. I was all hyped up for it and everything then I saw there was no PC option and I went '... So it's Halo all over again.'

Good luck with the LP! I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Funny that you bring up Dinklage. Apparently he's being replaced with Nolan North very soon, since he had scheduling conflicts that did not allow him to continue doing voice work for the game, and there are still DLC expansions coming out. North re-recorded all of the dialogue for Ghost as well, for the entirety of the game.

I'm actually a little sad to hear about this, because despite how much it was mocked (and probably rightfully so), something about Dinklage's wooden performance was kind of endearing to me. At least in this role we can maybe expect something other than Nathan Drake, assuming the voice directors don't have their heads up their asses this time around.

Also: friendly reminder that our first Strike, The Devils' Lair is being recorded tomorrow and I've only got one taker to do it. If you're interested, make sure to refer to the list a few posts ago and add PythonicusSA to your PS4 friends list.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

It's supposedly a ten year plan for the franchise. And it's an online FPS. From one of the most "release things on every platform ever" companies in the market. The idea that it will never come to PC is, I suppose, possible, but it doesn't seem likely. I think they just don't want to commit to it publically yet, much like Rockstar pretends they won't be bringing any given main-series GTA to PC and then, well after the console release, admits actually a PC port is in the works.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Hey friends! Turns out Bungie is revealing more things they've got for the upcoming expansion today, at 2EST/11PST. If you're interested in things that the LP will eventually be getting to, take a look here!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Everything about this game looks monumentally boring in motion (though for me, some of that is simply a matter of taste and preferring FPSes where both sides are relatively fragile). I am always kinda astonished that when Bungie got leave to do pretty much whatever they wanted, this is the plot they wrote. This.

AnxiousSloth
Jul 22, 2007
Red and filled with butter, just like nature intended
I feel like when they were developing the game they wanted to go for more of a "Dark Souls" type indirect narrative, but the way the game works doesn't lend itself as much to it. I think it would work better if there were two things, one if the grimoires were accessible in game, and if there were items, titan corpses, and incidental items scattered around the game for you to actually find when exploring.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The fact that there's NO lore in-game besides from the slightest bits of dialogue really makes this game seem... empty; desolate. It's essentially the complete 'shoot-man' experience. Why are these guys attacking you? Where do they come from? It's a sad state of affairs when frickin' COD has a better story by the fact that it actually HAS a story.

Edit: WHY DO ROBOTS HAVE GENDER.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 27, 2015

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Samovar posted:

Gender is a social construct. In this game, so are the robots. Have you not seen them dance?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If they wanted to make Dark Souls all they had to do was go back and make a Myth action RPG.

Bungie where is my new Myth game.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

AnxiousSloth posted:

I feel like when they were developing the game they wanted to go for more of a "Dark Souls" type indirect narrative, but the way the game works doesn't lend itself as much to it. I think it would work better if there were two things, one if the grimoires were accessible in game, and if there were items, titan corpses, and incidental items scattered around the game for you to actually find when exploring.

Funny you say that, cause Destiny was originally meant to be a big cinematic game with an engrossing story, but it got caught up in development hell and a lot of their work had to get scrapped(which is also why all of the game's lore got moved to grimoire cards that aren't even in the game). The Taken King expansion looks to be fixing a lot of that, including have Ghost be a Metroid Prime-style scan visor you can use on things in the environment to get some lore tidbits.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Samovar posted:

Why not?

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Alright, now that we've gone and taken a small look at some of the Tower's offerings, it's time to get back into the field.

Dregs
Shanks
Vandals
Riksis, Devil Archon
The Speaker
Scout Rifles

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 28, 2016

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
That was a great jump "shot".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, does this game have a slow start or is all the PVE 'circle strafe, sometimes wait for the shields to recover, fire many bullets at bullet sponge enemies with slow tracking weapons' like Halo?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I remember seeing a few bits of this game, and I would say the combat seems even worse than Halo, or at least as I remember Halo (the first few levels). It's just... so mediocre. And I admit this next point is purely aesthetics, but I REALLY hate damage numbers being shown in an FPS.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Basically do you get some space wizard powers that will break up the space monotony eventually?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Night10194 posted:

Basically do you get some space wizard powers that will break up the space monotony eventually?

Warlocks do, everyone else, not so much.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Night10194 posted:

So, does this game have a slow start or is all the PVE 'circle strafe, sometimes wait for the shields to recover, fire many bullets at bullet sponge enemies with slow tracking weapons' like Halo?

Destiny was guilty to a lot of bullet sponge bosses in its early game. Bungie have nerfed the health on a few of them, and the bosses in The Taken King expansion are more puzzle-based so there's less "get to cover and plink away at this boss for 15 minutes".

The problem is that Pythonicus is doing a new character, and he also put it on hard mode which nerfed his damage and buffed enemy damage by 30%.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
If anyone finds the combat too slow in the videos, then I have no issue in playing the missions on regular mode or using a different character with some more powerful endgame weaponry. The original intent was to show the game in what is more or less it's purest form, but I feel that entertainment should come first, if it becomes a problem.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'd stick with regular until you get further in the game. As it is, the combat's really stop-start, and watching you duck behind a pillar and then pop out to inconvenience the boss is kinda dull. Once you get more powers and more varied weapons, yeah, crank the difficulty up, but I'd crank it down just to keep the flow going. Changing class isn't necessary on the whole though, unless you're wanting to show class-specific stuff off.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pythonicus posted:

If anyone finds the combat too slow in the videos, then I have no issue in playing the missions on regular mode or using a different character with some more powerful endgame weaponry. The original intent was to show the game in what is more or less it's purest form, but I feel that entertainment should come first, if it becomes a problem.

I don't think it's your fault, the game itself is just kind of not very good.

I'm mostly in it to see if this can get as stupid and boring as the later CoDs.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Pythonicus posted:

I think what you need to do is just have a endgame player with you - that way you can do the purest form thing, but if a boss or mission starts to drag on too long you have a level 34 who can just beast everything.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I don't think it's your fault, the game itself is just kind of not very good.

I'm mostly in it to see if this can get as stupid and boring as the later CoDs.

Well, the highlight of the game are the raids, and The Taken King expansion is about to add a lot more content, it is an FPS at the end of the day, so nothing much will change beyond shooting. :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Judge Tesla posted:

Well, the highlight of the game are the raids, and The Taken King expansion is about to add a lot more content, it is an FPS at the end of the day, so nothing much will change beyond shooting. :v:

Yeah, but some FPSes can make the shooting exciting or the weapons have some impact.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, but some FPSes can make the shooting exciting or the weapons have some impact.

He was level 2 using poo poo-tier weapons, and didn't even have access to his super yet. I don't think you realize how much of an MMO Destiny is in regards to "You want the cool poo poo? Work for it."

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I'd stick with regular until you get further in the game. As it is, the combat's really stop-start, and watching you duck behind a pillar and then pop out to inconvenience the boss is kinda dull. Once you get more powers and more varied weapons, yeah, crank the difficulty up, but I'd crank it down just to keep the flow going. Changing class isn't necessary on the whole though, unless you're wanting to show class-specific stuff off.

Well I more meant that I would use my level 20+ Warlock on my 'main' account and show everything off. I think that might actually be a solid idea regardless; there are loads of endgame weapons that I want to show off, including showcasing some exotics.

I'll run through the current backlog of footage that I've got with the emomancer, then record the rest of the game using higher-level characters, other classes and subclasses, etc. I'll include ability round-ups before we swap out classes/subclasses, and things like that. We'll make this interesting yet! :v:

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
For what it's worth, I didn't mind you using a low level character in the least.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, I'm happy to see it start from the beginning and have a sense of progression. I should be clear that some of my hyperbole is entirely a matter of taste; I hated Halo's playstyle too and so basically, even if Destiny is the best Halo style game in the world it's not a game I myself would like to play, but I'm interested in seeing it shown off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

So people who have never played Destiny and are following this LP are going to get a surprise, yesterday, The Taken King was pre loaded onto consoles (with a whopping 18GB download) and it shook up the game world, the quests from the first two expansions have been reshuffled and integrated into the storyline more efficiently and perhaps most tragic, Peter Dinklage as the voice of Ghost is no more, replaced utterly by Nolan North.

Ghost's voice is now much higher pitched in tone, a real shift from Dinklebots deeper one.

There are loads of other smaller changes but, I'll leave that to the dudes in charge to go over, in due time.

• Locked thread