Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Taylor Swift and that Micheal Jackson wannabe who keeps singing about how he can't feel his face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's ok though he seems to love it

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Zzulu posted:

So who's number one now

T Swizzle but she ironically turned into the bitchy popular girl she portrayed in "You Belong With Me" so that won't last much longer

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 22, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Taylor Swift is a pretty elf princess but she's pretty boring tbh

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's why she's been at the top so long. She's the perfect projected fantasy of an above-average white girl who had all her Princess dreams come true and now lets us in on her life from up on high in her literal castles, nevermind that she was born rich af iirc.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Why did Gaga and Adam Lambert never team up for a SHOCK song and video collaboration

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Zzulu posted:

So who's number one now

well this is the top song on the billboard top 100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGflUbPQfW8

coming to a department store and restaurant near you

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

somnambulist posted:

Nothing happened to her, she's extremely busy- she just won a Grammy (for a jazz album that went platinum), performed at the Oscars, is starring in a popular TV show, got engaged, bought a huge house, is working on her next record with redone, Moroder, Nile Rodgers and more, on the cover of several magazines etc.

The problem though is mainly how huge she got in such a short amount of time that if she's not EVERYWHERE and at the top somehow that equates to being irrelevant and "over" which is just silly. Even her "flop" era with artpop sold over 3 million albums and had a ridiculously successful tour.

Also, I'm gay.

she's so busy she's vanished completely from the airwaves and the headlines

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bro Dad posted:

I'm looking forward to it being used in every Dreamworks movie between now and 2020.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

mind the walrus posted:

That's why she's been at the top so long. She's the perfect projected fantasy of an above-average white girl who had all her Princess dreams come true and now lets us in on her life from up on high in her literal castles, nevermind that she was born rich af iirc.

She's been popular and dating popular guys forever, but she at least used to fake being humble and relatable. Now she's bragging about being super friends with models and having celebs dance on stage with her

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes, exactly what I said. She took the fantasy of being the above-average white girl who "made it" and has ascended her image into being the Pop Princess talking to us all from her throne about what life is like up in the clouds and it's believable to her audience because she spent all those years building up that fantasy. It's given her incredible longevity and adaptability in a genre not known for it.

naem
May 29, 2011

Also she got purdy legds

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mind the walrus posted:

Yes, exactly what I said. She took the fantasy of being the above-average white girl who "made it" and has ascended her image into being the Pop Princess talking to us all from her throne about what life is like up in the clouds and it's believable to her audience because she spent all those years building up that fantasy. It's given her incredible longevity and adaptability in a genre not known for it.

The way my women friends (who are early-mid 20s, so the perfect demographic for this) also say it is that she doesn't take poo poo anymore because people would joke about her only being good at writing breakup songs.

The Onion is probably the best (worst?) example of this:

http://www.theonion.com/article/taylor-swift-now-in-long-distance-relationship-wit-33385
http://www.theonion.com/article/taylor-swift-enters-alternate-universe-to-date-bod-32698
http://www.theonion.com/article/taylor-swift-now-dating-watertown-boat-32161
http://www.theonion.com/article/taylor-swift-now-dating-senator-joseph-mccarthy-31861
http://www.theonion.com/article/update-taylor-swift-back-together-with-ex-boyfrien-31292
http://www.theonion.com/article/taylor-swift-mourns-death-of-boyfriend-christopher-31287
http://www.theonion.com/video/taylor-swift-releases-new-breakup-song-slamming-wi-31105

And there's more of them too.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

Bro Dad posted:

when i'm king it's going to go very badly for the monster who invented autotune

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Xaris posted:

poo poo like megan traynor

I am desperately looking forward to the day where "All About That Bass" starts showing up in worst songs of all time lists and meghan is looked upon with the same general scorn as lou bega and baha men

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

pretty soft girl posted:

I am desperately looking forward to the day where "All About That Bass" starts showing up in worst songs of all time lists and meghan is looked upon with the same general scorn as lou bega and baha men

She probably set the women's rights movement back 30 years with that Future Husband song

Vulgarian
Oct 2, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

I'm looking forward to it being used in every Dreamworks movie between now and 2020.

EDM needs to keep seizing control in pop music so that rap can stay weird/interesting.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

she's so busy she's vanished completely from the airwaves and the headlines

She hasn't been doing any crazy poo poo that gets headlines because she's been on tour with Tony Bennett doing jazz music. Which is the same reason she's not being played on pop stations right now. Because they aren't jazz stations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Rambling Robot posted:

sounds like lana del rey.

except she's still boring but now has a huge marketing budget.

I tried to listen to some Lana Del Rey and it was just completely devoid of anything to care about. It wasn't offensively bad, but the way some people gush about her you'd think she's like Pop Diva Jesus or something. She just sounds like a Me Too chamber pop singer, and she has a really awful singing voice.

At least Lady Gaga (s early stuff) is really catchy and well crafted and danceable.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

quote:

What happened to Lady Gaga?

She became an Iron Maiden fan :black101:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Lady Gaga was everywhere. She was putting out hit after hit. Where did she go? Did she give up and quit it?

She went from making elaborate insane music videos with Voldo backup dancers and pretty much intentional self-parody lyrics to someone who takes herself way too seriously and got super loving hyped to push message bullshit, nobody wants that.

People signed on for strange ridiculousness and now they're left with a preachy singer who wants to do 'serious music' and I can see why she disappeared faster than Vanilla Ice.

Premeditated Toast posted:

She got railroaded at the MTV Music Awards by Miley Cyrus' twerking and everybody freaking out and not shutting up about it so nobody was talking about how craaaaazy Lady Gaga was dressing or whatever, then people just stopped giving a poo poo about Miley Cyrus but they still didn't care about Lady Gaga anymore :shrug:

People stopped caring long, long before that. Exactly at the time she stopped making interesting videos with any style to them and started wanting to do duets and poo poo. Nobody wants to see her just walking around being a regular pop star even if she's actually musically trained.

I still remember that one video which had gag references to Star Wars, Dune and loving Command & Conquer of all things. Stupid poo poo like that was always entertaining.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 22, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sydney Bottocks posted:

i bought an iron maiden shirt the other week and i for real get more compliments on it than any other piece of clothing I've ever worn from all kinds of people

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

WhyteRyce posted:

She probably set the women's rights movement back 30 years with that Future Husband song

dear future husband is so much worse than all about that bass, it is astoundingly terrible

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

kindermord posted:

when i'm king it's going to go very badly for the monster who invented autotune

Auto-Tune was developed by Andy Hildebrand, who was an engineer working for Exxon Mobil. It was initially developed to interpret seismic data to find oil deposits.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

you should feel bad for this

AdolfHitler
Mar 21, 2009
I don't give a gently caress dude.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sydney Bottocks posted:

pretty sure i dated that chick, metal mama jeans and all, sometime around 1992

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Blazing Ownager posted:

I still remember that one video which had gag references to Star Wars, Dune and loving Command & Conquer of all things. Stupid poo poo like that was always entertaining.
Which video was that?

e: never mind that was "telephone"

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 23, 2015

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

i bought an iron maiden shirt the other week

why?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Cubey posted:

dear future husband is so much worse than all about that bass, it is astoundingly terrible

I had never heard of this song before and went to look up the lyrics (didn't listen because I'm listening to good music already).

I had no idea music could be so bad. Is this because I'm getting old or is it this music really bad?

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Moridin920 posted:

i bought an iron maiden shirt the other week and i for real get more compliments on it than any other piece of clothing I've ever worn from all kinds of people
Up the irons, man :hfive:

Because he's cool. Where's your Iron Maiden shirt?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

beautiful post, actually lead to me googling it and she is 29 lol

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

The Hidden Sherpa posted:

she stopped making pop music for the sake of pop music and started getting all preachy and messagey with her music and the quality fell.

pop isn't supposed to be serious and she did that really really well in her early career

Rambling Robot posted:

sounds like björk.

Björk didn't get preachy or messagey, she just went loving insane.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I don't think it's the "serious" themes that sunk her, serious songs are everywhere now. Take Me To Church, etc. It's just that country came back and ran her over like a monster truck flattening an old shack.

gently caress country.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

ghlbtsk posted:

Björk didn't get preachy or messagey, she just went loving insane.
yeah she was real normal when she started

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
just when i thought i couldn't dislike lady gaga any more intensely, she reveals herself to be an iron maiden fan

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Wait country came back?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I subscribe to the theory that the OG Lady Gaga was her best friend who wrote all the songs who died. Then the current Lady Gaga picked up the mantle, stole the songs, and got famous. Which would explain why she can't write new songs for poo poo.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

WhyteRyce posted:

Why did Gaga and Adam Lambert never team up for a SHOCK song and video collaboration

Adam Lambert's brother is a goon iirc

i know that was a facetious question but i'm whitenoise posting in a modern pop thread as an artistic statement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

Naerasa posted:

I had never heard of this song before and went to look up the lyrics (didn't listen because I'm listening to good music already).

I had no idea music could be so bad. Is this because I'm getting old or is it this music really bad?

Its a legit good song and is popular. Your just a grandpa go back to your old folks home

• Locked thread